Old 10-13-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
So, do you have to be an official member of a club to be a racist now?
He didn’t say ‘racist.’ His language was specific. So was mine.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:17 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
I don’t think it will have value coming from me, as I don’t think people on this board are generally willing to accept criticism of their political philosophy, particularly from someone they see as an antagonist.

I will be general though, I think there are signs that the left is in the very early stages of attempting a violent revolution and the more reasonable elements are doing little to stop it.

That racist violent and hateful element on the left is growing and unchecked and taking power.

White supremacists on the far right are still marginalized and anemic, and really not a serious concern by comparison.

Are you mentally impaired? The guy who was fucking elected president of the country openly and repeatedly called for violence against his political opponents--and he's still calling for unlawful incarceration against opponents--and you think it's the Democrats who are calling for a revolution about our form of government. How can you think that your assertion makes sense?

Last edited by Monty; 10-13-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
The point of the thread is to find better conservatives,
There are none. If they were good they would not be conservatives. How can they be better? Is there such a thing as better liar? Rapist? Nazi?

When you are dealing with conservatives there is no better. How can there be?

You have successfully defined roughly half the political population, or really anybody who does not agree with you as vermin whom you hold in contempt.

You are literally the bad guys in black masks, taking over the city and terrorizing old people. Literally.

And you actually believe you are the good guys.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
In Charlottesville the counterprotestors outnumbered the Nazis.
Whether true or not, so what? Far-right bigots planned for violence, executed violence, and then cheered afterwards for the "success" of their rally. And the President said there were good people on both sides. The counterprotestors came to oppose Nazis. That's a pretty reasonable thing to do. And they didn't kill anyone. In fact, the dreaded antifa has never killed anyone, IIRC. Unlike right wing terrorists like Dylan Roof, the OK City bomber, and many more (and a very, very small number of left-wing terrorists in the last few decades).

Quote:
https://mynorthwest.com/1141186/dori...nd-antifa-mob/

There are no counterprotestors in Portland. You know these guys took over the ICE building and locked it down. They had to send in the Federal government to get them out.

Yes, one Nazi left his mob, got in his car and drove the other way into counterprotestors, but leftists have taken shots and nearly killed congressmen playing baseball. They have shot a police officer protecting them at BLM. They are openly doxxing people they dislike and the kids of people they dislike. A Georgetown professor is openly saying Republican Congressman should be castrated, and gets to keep her job. Mainstream Democrats are openly calling on their base to harass and accost their political opponents in public and chase them out of public areas. Conservative speakers have their speeches broken into by protestors who shout ‘shame.’

Up and down the discourse of the left it is now open strategy to shout down the opposition and not allow them to speak.
No, this is not the discourse of "the left". It might be the discourse of a very, very small number of vocal assholes. And of course, it's very, very easy to find vocal assholes on the right saying stuff this bad or worse. There will always be vocal assholes on both sides. And the internet means that their views can be seen by everyone. But it's still just a very small number of vocal assholes.

Quote:
Believe woman is a literal demand to ignore due process and repeal the presumption of innocence.
If you believe this then you have a poor understanding of the #MeToo movement.

Quote:
This is not protesting. This is not political expression. People in masks harassing threatening bodily harm (and inflicting it,0 damaging property,ignoring laws and the rights of others. These are terrorist revolutionaries. They are on your side. You should, as a United party be denouncing them. Instead you are encouraging them as a party and adopting their tactics.
I've denounced terrorists and violent assholes many times, on this board and elsewhere. But the Democratic party hasn't put anyone even close to this in charge. No current high Democratic office holder ever said "knock the crap out of them!", referring to protestors. No high Democratic office holder ever suggested to police that they make sure those they arrest hit their heads going into police cars. No high Democratic office holder ever spread racist conspiracy theories, bragged about violating the consent of women on multiple occasions, and said a judge couldn't do his job because he was Mexican. And much, much worse. And the Republicans are celebrating and still supporting this President -- both those in office and the voters, for the most part.

Quote:
Have you ever read Mein Kampf? Have you read the Gulag Archipelago? Have you studied history?

Have you ever wondered what makes a populist movement turn into oppressive authoritarianism. The left is following the playbook of Germany, Russia, China, And Cuba. People are going to get killed, not just a couple from some meth addled skinhead.

At some point there is going to be an actual battle, and a fair amount of people are going to get killed. The of antifa behavior is not one of protest, they are trying to lure someone who is a symbol of authority into a battle. They will provoke violence and a bunch of them are going to get killed as a result. The authority will be blamed and this will be a call for justified escalation and more violence.

It has always existed in the fringes of the left, but it is now getting pretty mainstream.
This just sounds nuts to me. If there's any truth to it at the moment, it's far, far more true of the right in the US than the left -- just listen to the words of the President. "Lock her up" -- no due process, no trial, just "lock her up". Not just for Clinton, now -- they chant that for Pelosi too. And the President encourages this. And it's the left that is leading this trend? That's just ridiculous.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 10-13-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:29 PM

Wow. Scylla seems to have just jumped the shark. According to him, the guy who was on national TV saying that there were good people among the Nazis in Charlottesville is not supporting Nazis, but rather it's the people opposed to Nazis who are equivalent to Nazis. Wow.

Here's a thought: Yes, there are good conservatives. They are the ones who are not touting support of the Nazi supporting misogynist white supremacist nepotistic pathological lying incompetent and ignorant fool currently tarnishing the good officer of president. They are the ones, like me, who are doing their part to get the bad conservatives and their leader out of political office.

Last edited by Monty; 10-13-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Are you mentally impaired? The guy who was fucking elected president of the country openly and repeatedly called for violence against his political opponents--and he's still calling for unlawful incarceration against opponents--and you think it's the Democrats who are calling for a revolution about our form of government. How can you think that your assertion makes sense?
“yeah, but Trump” is not an answer.

It’s terrible. He’s a horrible, hateful imbecile. He constantly says the most bizarre insane things.

Like I said, I voted against him. You guys put forth as a candidate the one person that he could beat.

For 20 years you guys have been saying that every Republican candidate is a misogynistic intellectually bereft egomaniacal blowhard. The Republicans took a former Democrat who is literally and without exaggeration every one of those things and ran him against you, and won.

Hoist by your own petard.

You had him for the first 63 years of his life. He was broke when we got him.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:36 PM

Is Scylla a white trash punk proud boy? Whoops, that was a typo. I meant is Scylla a white trash punk?
Old 10-13-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
The left didn't nominate him for President, elect him President, and then continuously support and praise him as President, while he continues to say bigoted and otherwise awful things, in addition to the buffoonery (and great harm) in policy and rhetoric.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 10-13-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Wow. Scylla seems to have just jumped the shark. According to him, the guy who was on national TV saying that there were good people among the Nazis in Charlottesville is not supporting Nazis, but rather it's the people opposed to Nazis who are equivalent to Nazis. Wow.

I literally just described that as possibly the worst thing that any President has ever said, and brought that out as an example of something Republicans have done that I despised.

You should be more careful.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I literally just described that as possibly the worst thing that any President has ever said, and brought that out as an example of something Republicans have done that I despised.
Then why are you pointing fingers at the left -- whose leaders don't espouse rhetoric anywhere close to this -- when the present leader of the more right party says such things routinely, and is continuously supported and praised by most in his party?
Old 10-13-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:

https://mynorthwest.com/1141186/dori...nd-antifa-mob/

There are no counterprotestors in Portland. You know these guys took over the ICE building and locked it down. They had to send in the Federal government to get them out.

Yes, one Nazi left his mob, got in his car and drove the other way into counterprotestors, but leftists have taken shots and nearly killed congressmen playing baseball. They have shot a police officer protecting them at BLM. They are openly doxxing people they dislike and the kids of people they dislike. A Georgetown professor is openly saying Republican Congressman should be castrated, and gets to keep her job. Mainstream Democrats are openly calling on their base to harass and accost their political opponents in public and chase them out of public areas. Conservative speakers have their speeches broken into by protestors who shout ‘shame.’

Up and down the discourse of the left it is now open strategy to shout down the opposition and not allow them to speak.

Believe woman is a literal demand to ignore due process and repeal the presumption of innocence.

This is not protesting. This is not political expression. People in masks harassing threatening bodily harm (and inflicting it,0 damaging property,ignoring laws and the rights of others. These are terrorist revolutionaries. They are on your side. You should, as a United party be denouncing them. Instead you are encouraging them as a party and adopting their tactics.

Have you ever read Mein Kampf? Have you read the Gulag Archipelago? Have you studied history?

Have you ever wondered what makes a populist movement turn into oppressive authoritarianism. The left is following the playbook of Germany, Russia, China, And Cuba. People are going to get killed, not just a couple from some meth addled skinhead.

At some point there is going to be an actual battle, and a fair amount of people are going to get killed. The of antifa behavior is not one of protest, they are trying to lure someone who is a symbol of authority into a battle. They will provoke violence and a bunch of them are going to get killed as a result. The authority will be blamed and this will be a call for justified escalation and more violence.

It has always existed in the fringes of the left, but it is now getting pretty mainstream.
The problem with communicating with those that make an echo chamber is that whatever you are trying to say will be misinterpreted and drowned out. There may actually be a conflict between the two camps and I’m not sure the eventual outcome will result in a political state that is congruent with their expressed desires.

Last edited by octopus; 10-13-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
The left didn't nominate him for President, elect him President, and then continuously support and praise him as President, while he continues to say bigoted and otherwise awful things, in addition to the buffoonery (and great harm) in policy and rhetoric.

‘Yeah, but Trump...’

Is not an answer. Did I mention I don’t like him?

We’ve spent 19 pages talking about the flaws of conservatives, Republicans, the fact that I once said slut 6 years ago.

I came in here suggesting is that perhaps there is something wrong with the left and you should take a look.

Nothing, except “yeah, but Trump.”
Old 10-13-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
‘Yeah, but Trump...’

Is not an answer. Did I mention I don’t like him?

We’ve spent 19 pages talking about the flaws of conservatives, Republicans, the fact that I once said slut 6 years ago.

I came in here suggesting is that perhaps there is something wrong with the left and you should take a look.

But you keep suggesting that the problem of violent and bigoted rhetoric is much larger in the left.

When the president is Trump, and when the party is rock solid behind him, that dog don't hunt.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 10-13-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Then why are you pointing fingers at the left -- whose leaders don't espouse rhetoric anywhere close to this -- when the present leader of the more right party says such things routinely, and is continuously supported and praised by most in his party?
‘Yeah, but Trump”

Because there are other things broken in this country that are not Trump.

Because Trump is the danger we are watching, and expecting and afraid of. trump and Nazis.

Because the the thing that you are watching, and expecting and afraid is usually not the thing that ends up hurting you.

The thing that hurts you is the thing you are not paying attention to.

You are not looking at what your extreme is doing?

How many possible ways can I say this?

‘Yeah, but Trump.’
Old 10-13-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
When the president is Trump, and when the party is rock solid behind him, that dog don't hunt.
‘Yeah, but trump”
Old 10-13-2018, 06:55 PM

A bunch of people are going to get killed.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:55 PM

The left has flaws, and no one is denying this. There are plenty of assholes on the left. But in the present, the problem of bigoted and violent rhetoric is much, much larger on the right, and it's ridiculous to say otherwise (as you have done so on multiple occasions).

Quote:
A bunch of people are going to get killed.
If so, the rhetoric of the right is far more likely to cause this than anything from the left, at present.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 10-13-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how this supports your claim that the right isn't violent. Speaking of which, some of your fellow Republicans wandered through New York last night beating on people for no reason.

Quote:
Yes, civil disobedience often involves violating the law. But the problem isn't committing acts of civil disobedience because Republicans are kidnapping people and keeping them in camps, the problem is that Republicans are kidnapping people and keeping them in camps. You remind me of the louts who had a bigger problem with Bush being called a torturer than Bush actually being a torturer.

Quote:
Yes, one Nazi left his mob, got in his car and drove the other way into counterprotestors,
At a nazi rally, yes. And don't forget the beating of DeAndre Harris at that same march to save statues. Oddly enough, despite the right-wing aversion to violence, they came prepared with clubs and shields and guns.

Quote:
but leftists have taken shots and nearly killed congressmen playing baseball.
Plural? One guy did, and he wasn't at a parade full of like-minded right-wingers.

Quote:
They have shot a police officer protecting them at BLM.
I'd have to look into that, but given the source (you), I would guess you're not painting a complete - or accurate - picture.

Quote:
They are openly doxxing people they dislike and the kids of people they dislike. A Georgetown professor is openly saying Republican Congressman should be castrated, and gets to keep her job. Mainstream Democrats are openly calling on their base to harass and accost their political opponents in public and chase them out of public areas.
Oh noes!

Did they promise to torture their prisoners and murder their families like the leader of your party did?

Quote:
Conservative speakers have their speeches broken into by protestors who shout ‘shame.’
Oh noes again! Maybe conservative speakers should take the hint. Tell me, where is the internment camp these protestors are keeping children in? I know where your party keeps its kidnap victims, but these protestors? Can't say I've heard much about where they keep theirs.

Quote:
And yet, here you are. Being allowed to speak.

Quote:
Bullshit. The state owes it to you to presume you're innocent until proven guilty; people can hold any opinion they please. I don't recall anyone insisting their assailants be jailed without trial, either. On the other hand, your fellow Republicans insist Secretary Clinton be jailed without trial and in fact without her having even committed a crime.

You must live in some mirror universe. By any chance does your Hillary Clinton have a goatee?
Old 10-13-2018, 07:04 PM

Yeah, one side is inclusive. A coalition. A big tent. A party that reflects the actual population of this country. Progressive.

The other side is all identity politics. White identity. White politics. Exclusive. Always on the wrong side of history. Regressive.

Guess which side will prevail?
Old 10-13-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:

It’s terrible. He’s a horrible, hateful imbecile. He constantly says the most bizarre insane things.

Like I said, I voted against him. You guys put forth as a candidate the one person that he could beat.

For 20 years you guys have been saying that every Republican candidate is a misogynistic intellectually bereft egomaniacal blowhard. The Republicans took a former Democrat who is literally and without exaggeration every one of those things and ran him against you, and won.

Hey, dumbass; I'm not a leftist. And Clinton didn't lose the popular vote. It was an archaic and flawed compromise solution that got him into office, not his actual popularity, ability, or factual comoarison to Clinton.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Yeah, one side is inclusive. A coalition. A big tent. A party that reflects the actual population of this country. Progressive.

The other side is all identity politics. White identity. White politics. Exclusive. Always on the wrong side of history. Regressive.

Guess which side will prevail?

Mainstream left.

I rest my case.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:18 PM

About fucking time.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Hey, dumbass; I'm not a leftist. And Clinton didn't lose the popular vote. It was an archaic and flawed compromise solution that got him into office, not his actual popularity, ability, or factual comoarison to Clinton.
The Confederate argument against Lincoln!

Well done.

You are in great company.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There are none. If they were good they would not be conservatives. How can they be better? Is there such a thing as better liar? Rapist? Nazi?
Full stop, you really are not trying.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b09e4a8b29d1cb
Quote:
Conservative columnist Max Boot, a frequent critic of President Donald Trump, says he’s now rooting for a Democratic takeover of both houses of Congress in November’s midterm elections.

In a Washington Post column, Boot said the GOP was once a conservative party with a white nationalist fringe.

“Now it’s a white-nationalist party with a conservative fringe,” he wrote.

Boot, who left the Republican Party and became an independent after Trump was elected president, said he is more convinced than ever that he made the right decision.

He wrote:

Quote:
“The current GOP still has a few resemblances to the party of old — it still cuts taxes and supports conservative judges. But a vote for the GOP in November is also a vote for egregious obstruction of justice, rampant conflicts of interest, the demonization of minorities, the debasement of political discourse, the alienation of America’s allies, the end of free trade and the appeasement of dictators.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:44 PM

Monty:

But to answer the issue you have brought up with a consideration you don’t deserve.

1. Insisting the rules were unfair after you lose is s nonstarter if you knew and agreed to the rules beforehand. You are espousing the traditional whine of sore losing assholes everywhere. Again, nice company.

2. If you read your Federalist papers you’d know that the Electoral college was specifically created to protect against mob rule, or a case where a concentrated population in a small section of the country, could inflict it’s views on the larger portion of the country.

Or, too put into language that you may grasp. They did it so Pan em in the Hunger Games can’t happen. You’ll recall that the rich high population center of the capitol exploited the more sparsely inhabited districts.

The founding fathers were worried about that (this is true. They really were. James Madison discusses it, but I forget which paper.).

So, what the founding fathers did was to create the electoral college, which has the effect of giving the Districts enough political power that the capital can’t walk over them.

So, the electoral college actually did the very thing that the founding father’s wanted it to do, and it successfully protected against the very thing they were afraid of when they designed it 250 years. Pretty fucking prescient, hmmm?

Now you might not like it. Perhaps you are looking forward to the Hunger Games and want to know what the box up is. Lobby and get it changed before the next election. The founding fathers put in a mechanism for that, because they hated whiny sore losers like you, too.

But don’t say outmoded. They planned it to work this way 25o years ago, and it did.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:09 PM

You should know what you're talking about before you try being a condescending jackass. What you prove yourself to be is just a jackass.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
You should know what you're talking about before you try being a condescending jackass. What you prove yourself to be is just a jackass.
Are you planning a devastating response, proving me wrong because James Madison never read the Hunger Games

Last post I was “dumbass,” this post “jackass,”

Do you know words that don’t end in “ass.”
Old 10-13-2018, 08:39 PM

Morass? Like this thread?
Old 10-13-2018, 08:42 PM

Wiseass
Old 10-13-2018, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
2. If you read your Federalist papers you’d know that the Electoral college was specifically created to protect against mob rule, or a case where a concentrated population in a small section of the country, could inflict it’s views on the larger portion of the country.
Uh-huh..

https://www.brennancenter.org/blog/t...rule-mob-panic
Quote:
Trump’s “Rule of the Mob” Panic

It’s a rhetorical strategy that for centuries has been used to thwart popular democracy
http://time.com/4558510/electoral-co...story-slavery/
Quote:
Standard civics-class accounts of the Electoral College rarely mention the real demon dooming direct national election in 1787 and 1803: slavery.

At the Philadelphia convention, the visionary Pennsylvanian James Wilson proposed direct national election of the president. But the savvy Virginian James Madison responded that such a system would prove unacceptable to the South: “The right of suffrage was much more diffusive [i.e., extensive] in the Northern than the Southern States; and the latter could have no influence in the election on the score of Negroes.” In other words, in a direct election system, the North would outnumber the South, whose many slaves (more than half a million in all) of course could not vote. But the Electoral College—a prototype of which Madison proposed in this same speech—instead let each southern state count its slaves, albeit with a two-fifths discount, in computing its share of the overall count.

Virginia emerged as the big winner—the California of the Founding era—with 12 out of a total of 91 electoral votes allocated by the Philadelphia Constitution, more than a quarter of the 46 needed to win an election in the first round. After the 1800 census, Wilson’s free state of Pennsylvania had 10% more free persons than Virginia, but got 20% fewer electoral votes. Perversely, the more slaves Virginia (or any other slave state) bought or bred, the more electoral votes it would receive. Were a slave state to free any blacks who then moved North, the state could actually lose electoral votes.

If the system’s pro-slavery tilt was not overwhelmingly obvious when the Constitution was ratified, it quickly became so. For 32 of the Constitution’s first 36 years, a white slaveholding Virginian occupied the presidency.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:24 PM

Look, we've got our nuts and you've got yours. But we don't let ours drive the bus. Case closed.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:23 AM

Quote:
‘I came in here suggesting is that perhaps there is something wrong with the left and you should take a look.

My understanding was that you were trying to offer a rational reason to be conservative, and rational conservative arguments. That would answering the subject of this thread.

If you were instead trying to say "but liberals are the real bad guys," and that was your entire point, then it doesn't have anything to do with this thread. Rather than being rational, you would be merely using the rhetorical tactic of steering the conversation away from the original topic. (For liberals, this is often like shooting fish in a barrel. Say something we consider wrong, and we feel the need to correct you.)

iiandyiiii is sticking to the original topic. Do there exist some people on left who have dangerous ideas? Of course. But none of them are in power. On the other hand, on the right, the dangerous people are running the asylum. Due to this discrepancy, it is irrational to treat both sides as the same. None of those "crazy college students" is calling the shots in the Democratic Party, but the authoritarian racists are in charge of the Republican party. What counts as conservative now is conspiracy theory level, and this is true of higher ups who are actually in power.

As for the Electoral college and mob rule: neither are really conservative or liberal values. Though I will say your appeal to the authority of the Federalist papers is not all that convincing to liberals: we don't hold them to be sacrosanct. Lots of things are different from what the Founding Founders wanted, and a lot of those things are good.

If you want to argue that the Electoral college is good thing, or that Congress not representing the will of the people can be a good thing, then you cannot appeal to some old dead men. It's not as if they were experts who did a bunch of experiments to see what was better. They were often wrong.

Last edited by BigT; 10-14-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:

"Yeah, but Trump" is a perfect answer because he's a real racist, who has hired an administration full of racists and kleptocrats, and he has real power.

You said in a previous post that the crazy, hateful left is taking over -- how? What branch of government do they control? They don't control the judiciary. They can't even get a member nominated to the judiciary when they do have the White House because the republitards control the Senate. The Republicans dominate state-level governments.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Look, we've got our nuts and you've got yours. But we don't let ours drive the bus. Case closed.
Or sell the tires off the bus.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Or sell the tires off the bus.
To be fair, trying to dump your tires in Mexico and demanding that they pay for them isn't technically selling.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Because there are other things broken in this country that are not Trump.
How many possible ways can I say this?
You'll probably find a lot more ways to say 'THE SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE KIDS WHO ARE WEAK AND SPINELESS ARE GOING TO VIOLENTLY OVERTHROW THE GOVERNMENT" than you will to say what's actually positive about your position as a conservative.