Old 08-06-2018, 09:47 AM

Jimmy Carter is by far the most accomplished ex-President in recent history. Of the US NARA Presidential Libraries and Museums (from FDR onward), this is abundantly clear.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
It's a cite free thread.
And Obama’s ineptitude is a target-rich environment.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:50 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

The Moderator Clears His Throat

Yes, let's let the hijack go. And stop labeling other posters as well, please. That's never a good idea.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:26 AM

So, yeah, the US NARA Presidential Libraries and Museums are worth visiting, and each is a slice of history focused, of course, on the man’s life who was President. I’ve been to about half of them, and Carter’s Presidential Museum in Atlanta is markedly different in that a significant portion of the displays and information presented is focused on his accomplishments after his Presidency.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
If we elect Joe Biden I think we can beat that, plus get competency and someone comfortable working with DC's power brokers to boot.
I don't understand the "squeaky clean" Joe Biden image we have now. Is this the same Joe Biden that dropped out of the 1988 Presidential primary because he exaggerated his college grades, graduation standing, number of degrees and due to a (slightly overblown) but nonetheless real plagiarism issue?
Old 08-06-2018, 04:45 PM

In modern times it's almost certainly Carter but this might be the best answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
You could say in all seriousness that Washington established the position of ex-President, and it was not at all a given that he would have. He could very easily have remained President-for-Life, and if he had, that would have set the pattern for all who followed. Oh, we'd still have occasionally had Presidents voted out before their death, but they'd be the exception, not the rule.
I think most non-historians don't realize the importance of every single thing Washington did, including voluntarily stepping down and becoming an ex-president.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spifflog View Post
I don't understand the "squeaky clean" Joe Biden image we have now. Is this the same Joe Biden that dropped out of the 1988 Presidential primary because he exaggerated his college grades, graduation standing, number of degrees and due to a (slightly overblown) but nonetheless real plagiarism issue?
Nobody's perfect, but Biden, like Carter, is a man of deep and sincere faith, and he hasn't made a dime off his office when almost everyone in politics as long as he's been is a multimillionaire. And unlike Carter, his family is made up of rock solid people that won't embarrass him.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Nobody's perfect, but Biden, like Carter, is a man of deep and sincere faith, and he hasn't made a dime off his office when almost everyone in politics as long as he's been is a multimillionaire.
We're just making stuff up now. That's my concern. We are so desperate to unseat Trump that we're trying to prop up a very old, average politician as the next coming.

Joe was know as a somewhat bumbling Senator, who could be counted on to say the wrong thing at the wrong time. That is how he started his Vice-Presidency, as kind of a knucklehead. When the aforementioned embellishment about his academic record and plagiarism happened, some chalked it up to Joe being Joe, which is it's own indictment.

Quote:
And unlike Carter, his family is made up of rock solid people that won't embarrass him.
His family. I presume for this argument his family doesn't include is son then? His son Hunter, required two waivers, which was unheard of to join the Naval Reserve. One was an over age waiver, and one was for previous drug use. A month after he was in, when he knew he'd have to take a mandatory drug test, he failed for cocaine. He was bounced from the Navy, a fact that was kept quiet for six months.

Not sure if his affair with his brother's wife happened before or after this but I think it was later.

That'd be embarrassing to me. YMMV.

Our desperation to find our next candidate just smells horrid.

Last edited by spifflog; 08-07-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:02 AM

Kids with problems isn't all that embarassing. Most of us can relate. Brothers that piggy back on your influence to make money for themselves, now that's embarrassing.

But this thread really isn't about candidate selection, just that decent men can be Presidents. There are some TYPES of good men who can't do that job, like the Bible Thumping preachy types, but Joe's not really in that category. He's a decent man who knows how to talk to bad men. Carter got to the point where he assumed the best of truly evil men, and assumed the worst about people who merely disagreed with him.

Last edited by adaher; 08-07-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:44 AM

adaher, we'll have to agree to disagree then. If my son was kicked out of the military because he failed a drug test for cocaine, I wouldn't call him a "rock solid [son] that won't embarrass" me. I'd be more than a bit embarrassed, but we may have different standards.

Perhaps after Trump it won't much matter. I'm more than a little concerned that we're almost half way to the next presidential election and well appears to be so dry that we're trying, desperately trying, to mold a man who would be 78 on inauguration day into the politician that we'd like him to be, not the one he actually is. A man who graduated at the bottom of his college class, the bottom of his law school class, and who's career is filled with plagiarism and exaggeration issues. A guy who got absolutely no traction when the likes of Clinton and Obama were in play. In short, I think lipstick on this pig will mean four more years of Trump.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:13 PM

Well, kids with drug problems is something I think all too many parents can relate too. Your brother going to Libya to peddle influence on the other hand...
Old 08-07-2018, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spifflog View Post
We're just making stuff up now. That's my concern. We are so desperate to unseat Trump that we're trying to prop up a very old, average politician as the next coming.

J
More ageism.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
More ageism.
You may not think that having a man in the White House at 79 is worthy of consideration but I do. It's a brutally demanding job with pressures that I probably can't imagine. I think being 79 during ones prospective first term is a valid discussion point not agesim.

Last edited by spifflog; 08-07-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:07 PM

People live longer nowadays. We now know that Bob Dole and John McCain both would have been fine had they served two terms. Rather than worrying about age, look at how old the person appears to be by their mental faculties and how healthy they appear to be. Joe looks fantastic and his mind is as sharp as ever. Heck, Carter served 40 years ago and he looks like he could do the job today.

Last edited by adaher; 08-07-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Yes, but a president has to be fit and able to handle the demands of the job, not just at the time they're elected, but for the following 4+ years; and the office notoriously ages many of the men who have held it. That they won't last is a risk for anyone, but more of a risk the older they are.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:54 PM

I think Teddy Roosevelt had a very interesting post-presidency, in that he quickly realized that he made a mistake in turning over the reins of office to Taft, and thereafter spent a good deal of his life trying to regain the office, interspersed with safaris.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:38 AM

What I find interesting is the first President to really cash in on the job was the only unelected President in history - Gerald Ford.

IIRC Reagan rolled back the years and did some big money tv commericials in Japan soon after he left which was met with some condemnation at home.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

McCain wouldn't have been "fine" for two terms. He survived that long, true, but he was already needing a lot of time off for medical care before the end of Obama's term.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
McCain wouldn't have been "fine" for two terms. He survived that long, true, but he was already needing a lot of time off for medical care before the end of Obama's term.
So it would have been six years of President McCain and two years of Acting President Palin.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:54 PM

I don't think anyone is desperately looking at Biden. I think they see a liberal who is also good at appealing to the white working class, and thus they like him.

Age is only relevant if the Vice President can't step up and fill in. That's what tanked McCain: people didn't want a Palin presidency. (Not saying he would have won without her, but that she's the reason he lost so badly. Republicans were counting on identity politics and didn't consider whether the candidate was intelligent. Then again, it worked for Trump.)
Old 10-14-2018, 01:25 AM

Bodhi was the best.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:14 PM

The best ex-president was the best president: William Henry Harrison
Old 10-20-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Definitely Ronald Reagan and Dwight Eisenhower.
what?? Reagan got rich friends to bankroll him, nothing else, and Ike just played golf
Old 10-20-2018, 10:48 AM

I will go with Jimmy Carter as the best ex-President.

My family and I went to see him teach Sunday School back in 2013, in Plains, GA. He was very good, with a smart, quick, and sharp mind. And he would make a pretty darn good Baptist Minister, too.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
I misread the thread title, and was thinking of who was the best President no longer in office.
We're not gonna have a best president (small "P") STILL in office.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:46 AM

For those keeping score at home: iiandyiiii 1, adaher 0.

I look forward to seeing what Obama will do with his post-office career. I think he's keeping a low profile now while the turd is in the White House (Obama making headlines now simply gives the turd more ammo for his base).
Old 10-22-2018, 01:59 AM

I've always preferred ex-Presidents to go quietly into the good night. Maybe the occasional philanthropic endeavor but largely apolitical and out of the way. Basically, the anti-Carter. In my mind that'd be either Bush and perhaps Clinton. Perhaps Reagan too, but I have a hard time remembering back that far, and his Alzheimer's pretty much necessitated it anyways.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:39 AM

Yes, I was ruminating just the other day about what a shameless attention whore Jimmy Carter has been for the last 40 years.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
Yes, I was ruminating just the other day about what a shameless attention whore Jimmy Carter has been for the last 40 years.
Yeah, and he's been super political and in the way.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
John Quincy Adams was a leading voice of abolitionism, and the leader of the founding of the Smithsonian, in his long post-Presidency career in the House.
To expand, after his presidency, JQA served in the House of Representatives for 16 years, acting as a gadfly until he literally died in the house. He had a massive stroke while on the floor, at 78, and was moved to the Speaker's Room, where he died two days later.

My vote goes to John Quincy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shine View Post
Yeah, because Kennedy did a lot of great stuff as an ex-president
I hear he helped LBJ get civil rights legislation through.