Old 10-04-2002, 04:42 PM

Does anyone else wonder a) who defines the 'innapropriate', and b) how someone could be convicted of thinking naughty thoughts?
[Looks around for Psi-Corps]
Old 10-04-2002, 04:55 PM

If someone tells there friend hey i'm going to rape that girl over there. that is a crime.

If someone emails someone saying Hey i'm going to have sex with they little kid its a crime.

and yes some ppl are that dumb which is why thinking about a crime is just as bad as doing it in some cases.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FeFe
Hmm seems to me that you think i'm over reactting in thinking that he shouldn't play with little girls. But hey what would I know????

Thanks for the good laugh Garfield. Get your thoughts together before you blast ppl. Or at least know what your talking about.
It was mainly Snugglebear who was overreacting, and I included your name only because you're from the same place and your posts included approximately the same amount of incoherence, but this part of your first post did seem like a bit of overreaction to me:

Quote:
i]Originally posted by FeFe [/i]when I was 12 my father would have killed any man other then my unlces that tried to tickle me or hug me or anything else...
Though come to think of it, that really wasn't your problem, just your father's. Not saying he should have hung a sign around your neck reading "Come and get me" or anything...but that still seems a bit strict. Zero-tolerance, anyone?

I just think that if he's going to come after someone just for touching you, he'd better try to assess their intentions first. Aggravated sexual assault is a crime, but so is assault and battery.

And on preview, I don't think sharing thoughts about a third party is against the law, unless the third party is the government and the thoughts are to overthrow it. Or unless you have reason to believe the person is going to do what he or she says. I don't really think this fits in with the OP, though.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:18 PM

Main Entry: pe·do·phil·ia
Pronunciation: "pE-d&-'fi-lE-&
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin
Date: 1906
: sexual perversion in which children are the preferred sexual object
- pe·do·phil·i·ac /-'fi-lE-"ak/ or pe·do·phil·ic /-'fi-lik/ adjective

No where in this post has anyone said that he tried to have sex with the kid. which is kinda what he said with the title.....

As to my father I dont think he was wrong when I was 12 and I dont think he is wrong now with my sister....

It all comes down to your belifes and the ppl that you hang around. If your fahter didn't find anything wrong with men tickling you when you where 12 that was him and you.. My father does find something every wrong with that but i'm welling to bet that out fathers keep ever differint kinds of company...

I could be wrong and i'm looking for it right now but I think that if someone says they are going to have sex with someone underage or rape someone. and that is then taken to the cops the cops then have the right to go and find out what is going on and assess the comments.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Snugglebear

Actually yes it is. Inapropreately touching a child is Agg. Sexual Battery. I believe it's a 8-12 year sentance in most cases.
You can also be convicted of Attemped Agg. Sexual Battery for even being suspected of touching a child. Yes it's true.
Even thinking of commiting a sex crime is punishable. Thank goodness for it too.
(bolding mine)

Did I misread the post? C'mon snuggle, Inappropriate tickling is covered under several state statutes, and requires genital contact or sexual intent. Good, old fashioned tickling is still legal (save for Virginia, an obscure law on the books makes it illegal to tickle women). Some workplace laws include language on tickling, and surely walking up to some unknown woman in the mall and giving her a good tickle would land me in a bind. The key word here is Inappropriate, and nothing I read in the OP leads me to believe that it could be construed in such a manner by even the most twisted DA.

To be convicted for being suspected of touching a child requires corroborating evidence. Sadly, a few such witch hunts have occurred in the recent past, and hindsight seems to show that the corroborating evidence was manufactured. The courts, thankfully, have taken to examining such evidence a bit closer.

Don't even get me started on the thought police claim, even though this is MPSIMS, I might just have to ask for a cite :O
Old 10-04-2002, 05:28 PM

Garfield226

Yes we live in the same place. We happen to be married and we happen to live together.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:30 PM

I think it about time for checkmate to reply. Before this discussion goes anyfurther I'd like to know how the 12 year old explained checkmate inappropriately touching her.
Nurse Carmen...I'll try and find a cite for ya. .
Garfield226 I explain how I overreacted. I don't see how my posts have been inchoherant. This must really be ruining your day.

FeFe and I post at the same time because we are married and both love the straight dope.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:38 PM

Am I the only one who thinks it's _cool_ that Chekmate can still be the cool older brother? (It's not like that's the only life he has, for crying out loud).

I'm 28, and have a group of cousins ranging in age from 3 to 8 who I love playing with. I hope I'm always their cool crazy cousin...
Old 10-04-2002, 05:40 PM

Guilty until proven innocent when it comes to sex crimes. Don't even look at her. Just stay far, far away.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:42 PM

"http://crime.about.com/library/weekly/a101299.htm"

A man who said he wanted to buy an 8-year-old girl for sexual purposes. An Internet acquaintance informed the FBI and then, working with them, convinced him that she'd sell him her (non-existent) niece for $100. When he came to make the "purchase", he was arrested.

I can't find the law but here is a case where the man was arrested for saying he was going to buy an 8 year old child.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:53 PM

No, there is a case where a man was arrested for attempting to buy an 8 year old child. Had he made the statement and then never followed through, he wouldn't have been arrested for squat.

I see nothing in Chekmate's OP where he said he constantly hung around the girl; just that he was cool to his younger brother and his friends when they are around. Anyone who would twist this into something it's not has a sick mind, AFAIC.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Snugglebear
Garfield226 I explain how I overreacted. I don't see how my posts have been inchoherant. This must really be ruining your day.
Well, that was somewhat incoherant itself....

"Garfield226 I explain how I overreacted." Now, I assume you're addressing me, but conventionally one uses a comment after addressing someone, so I wasn't sure. Then you said "I explain how I overreacted." Now, I first took this to mean "I explained how I overreacted," but nowhere in the thread did I find such an explanation. So, I cannot understand this post. Therefore, it is incoherent. At least it matches the other ones.

Oh, and my day isn't ruined. Much to the contrary, I was rather depressed before I found this thread, and now my life is renewed with the mission of fighting ignorance. Thank you.

Quote:
originally posted by FeFe
No where in this post has anyone said that he tried to have sex with the kid. which is kinda what he said with the title.....
This is also incoherent to me. Yes, no one has said that he tried to have sex with the kid. I agree with you. I don't get the second part...you're saying that HE's saying that he tried to have sex with the kid?

And on preview...

FeFe, sorry, try again. HE TOOK ACTION. He CAME TO BUY THE KID. I can say I'm going to go out and buy some beer tonight, and even though I'm underage, you can't do a thing. If I went to buy the beer, you can bet I could end up in jail. See the difference?
Old 10-04-2002, 06:07 PM

Garfield226 you still haven't explained anything to me as to how I am overreacting or inchoherant. A typo isn't inchoherant to me. :wally
Old 10-04-2002, 06:18 PM

It would be perverted if Checkmate walked to a playground, randomly selected a little girl and started tickling him. I'd probably kick him through the woods.

This is not the case here. These are neighborhood friends that have been playing for years. Obviously with parental consent. Today she thought he did something wrong. He says nothing bad happened. Sadly, that's how things go sometimes and he can't keep doing what he used to with one of the neighboorhood friends. Growing up changes things like that.

I'm not even gonna get started on Snugglebear who really needs to read up on law, among many other things.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:25 PM

I'm in complete agreement with MaxTheVool and Turbo Dog.

I fail completely to understand the perspective of those posters telling Chekmate that he should consider himself lucky to "only have gotten off with a warning." Do some of you folks seriously think this incident warranted prosecution?!? He learned a lesson from this, all right - a very depressing one, IMO.

FeFe, I guess we're going to have to disagree, then. You may support it, but I'm horrified at the prospect of punishing people for having illegal thoughts. And like Garfield226 says, preparatory action is a completely different ballgame from simple contemplation (or at least it ought to be, IMO).
Old 10-04-2002, 06:27 PM

Frist off the man siad to someone else "i'm thinking of buying a child". that was my point that yes that in its self isn't 100% right. but then man was then dumb enough to do it. its the only thing I have been able to find so far. And yes I see the difference beer isn't a sex crime. I don't remember if it was on the news or somewhere else that I heard it.. It was sometime ago. And it may or may not have been put to law though I think it was... Also it wasn't b\c you want to have sex with her your going to jail. It was someone had to hear you say you are planning on haveing sex with someone underage, and then take that to the cops from there the cops can go have a talk to you to see what they think and go from there. But they are looking into ppl SAYING they are going to go out and commit a sex crime a lot more then they would 'say some dumb ass kid going out and buying beer.'

If I can find it i'll post it if not i'm just going to asume that it wasn't put to law. b\c i'm pretty sure I heard about it when it was still going though all the stages it has to go thought to be passed into law.

he siad "I got accused of being a pedophile today..."

pedophile is having sex with a child. no where in the post did it say he had sex with her or tried to. I just wanted to know where pedophile came into the post since if he is posting things the way they really happened nothing anywhere could be taken as that just that the girl didn't like being tickled anymore and he didn't stop.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:31 PM

having the thoughts is just sick in my mind but where I was going with that is saying to others that you have them. which in my book is very sick.

and no that wed link I posted was not what I was talking about it was the closest thing I have found so far and i'm still looking.

"And like Garfield226 says, preparatory action is a completely different ballgame from simple contemplation (or at least it ought to be, IMO)."

Yes I think it is to. All i'm saying is that I THINK THERE HAS BEEN A LAW PASSED AT LEAST HERE THAT SAYS CONTEMPLATION IS A MISDAMINOER.. But i'm not 100% sure.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SnuggleBear
Garfield226 you still haven't explained anything to me as to how I am overreacting or inchoherant.
If that last post by FeFe wasn't incoherent I don't know what is. Anyone else reminded of RosieWolf et al.?
Old 10-04-2002, 06:38 PM

Ok, I just explained how I didn't understand your last post. Therefore it was incoherant. So I guess you meant by it that I'm supposed to explain how you're incoherant. Ok.

Quote:
originally posted by Snugglebear
If it were my 12 year old daughter you would be in for a "love letter" from me dude.
Love letter? I thought you wouldn't like the guy...why would you want to send him a love letter? Oh, it's in quotes. That must mean it's sarcastic. But wait, so you actually meant he'd be in for a hate letter? Sounds pretty overreactive to me. Don't bother trying to find out the circumstances, don't worry that he's been spending five years hanging out with your daughter and all the other neighborhood kids, don't allow for the fact that she might have been the one to make a mistake in interpretation...I'm not saying don't trust her, I'm not saying call her a liar, all I'm saying is don't act with blind rage.

Quote:
My suggestion if you are not convicted with agg. sexual battery is join the military. They'll teach you tickle me elmo is for kids....Real quick
So we go from his playing with neighborhood kids to possibly being convicted with aggravated sexual battery in what, a couple days. Way to presume guilty until proven innocent! And you're giving him advice! I'm sure it was accepted with the same spirit in which it was given. I can only hope it was...

Quote:
You DO NOT touch children without the parents consent.
EVER !
Here's a thought...how about we don't threaten and yell at me? Sound good? Notice how I did that without commanding anyone, or using excalamation points or all caps?

Quote:
Have you ever concidered the rethorical skills of a 12 year old? I was pretty sharp when I was twelve and I knew when something was wrong.
I do not take checkmate's post at face value.
Yes, yes I have. A lot of them aren't too smart. And some who are are smart enough to intentionally say things like that "just to see what will happen" or whatever. And again, I'm sorry you didn't take his post at face value. I thought there was something a bit off about you and FeFe's posts too, but I took them at face value (approx .00073 Canadian cents).

Quote:
You can also be convicted of Attemped Agg. Sexual Battery for even being suspected of touching a child. Yes it's true.
Even thinking of commiting a sex crime is punishable. Thank goodness for it too.
As has already been explained to you numerous times, that's simply not true. I suppose you could be convicted if you were set up or something, but other than that...

THINKING of anything is not punishable. How does anyone know what I'm thinking? I could be thinking of ANYTHING. Sometimes I don't even know what I'm thinking. Who's responsible then?

And on preview:
Quote:
pedophile is having sex with a child. no where in the post did it say he had sex with her or tried to. I just wanted to know where pedophile came into the post since if he is posting things the way they really happened nothing anywhere could be taken as that just that the girl didn't like being tickled anymore and he didn't stop.
This is becoming surreal...

Pedophile came into it because HE WAS ACCUSED OF BEING ONE. THAT'S WHAT REALLY HAPPENED. He was accused of it. He posted what really happened, no one else took it as anything more than what he posted except for a few people.

And please point out where he says he didn't stop. I'm having trouble finding that part. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo Dog
I'm not even gonna get started on Snugglebear who really needs to read up on law, among many other things. [/B]
Oh please do get started on me. I would like you to tell me where it says that sexual misconduct is not punisable by law.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:49 PM

I would like you to tell me where it says that sexual misconduct took place.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:52 PM

I said my peace. Checkmate was wrong. He could be convicted if the girls parents decided to persue a case against him. If it were my daughter I would not handel it lightly.
Garfield226 go henny peck somebody else.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:57 PM

IOW, "You've backed me into a corner, so I'm going to shut up now."

Ok.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I said my piece. Checkmate was wrong. He could be convicted if the girl's parents decided to pursue a case against him. If she were my daughter I would not handle it lightly.
Garfield226 go henny peck* somebody else.
::thwaps Snugglebear and FeFe with a dictionary ::

*-Iffy. Where I'm from it's 'henpeck' but regional differences and all....

I know, it's petty, I'm sorry, but it's getting on my nerves.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:58 PM

Re: I got accused of being a pedophile today...

Quote:
Originally posted by Chekmate
and have been known to tickle the girl (12 now). Well, today I tickled her, as I have done a hundred times before, and apparently, she runs back and tells her Mom that I "touched her inappropriatly."
Right here...
Old 10-04-2002, 06:59 PM

Garf....let it go. There is no point in continuing this current discussion, hon.

Poor Chekmate got caught in a situation where he wasn't doing anything wrong, but circumstances changed and fear rules these days and he got chastised. It stinks that everyone is so paranoid that they don't allow any kind of playful physical contact with a child after a certain age...despite the fact that it is innocent and with only the purest of intentions.

Sheesh, I am so glad I was raised in a time when it was fine and even encouraged for people to hug a child, or tickle them, or any of that sort of thing. Of course, I hug everyone anyway, and I haven't been arrested yet...but you may have to bail me out one of these days, my dearest.

So save your pennies.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:01 PM

You didn't back me into a corner. I just said all I want to about this.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:04 PM

</forrest gump> psst...you forgot the opening tag...
Old 10-04-2002, 07:09 PM

Quote:
beer isn't a sex crime
Band name!! come on, someone had to say it.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:10 PM

No such thing as burden of proof in some people's world. Just errant thoughts. Hell lock my ass up. In just an hour today I am guilty of assault (when I wanted to kick my boss), sexual harrassment (when I wanted to hit on a co-worker), sexual misconduct (for what I wanted to do to her in the boardroom), reckless driving and assault on a minor (for wanting to chase down the punk kid who cut me off on the freeway), and child abuse and incest (because I tickled my 5 year old daughter and she got mad at me).
Old 10-04-2002, 07:12 PM

I do see something wrong with a man tickling a girl. But this has goten out of hand and I wont be apart of it anymore. its not that big of a deal. You think i'm wrong I think your wrong.
The end.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Collounsbury

No it is based on a good decade or two of irrational squeeling in North American media. Centuries my ass.

Personal space my ass.

As I said, this is precisely why I hate coming back to North America with its fucked up obsessions.

The reporting of child abuse and believing victims is something that has been going on for only a decade or two.

And I really don't think I have a "fucked up obsession" because I don't want just anybody and everybody getting touchy feely with me.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:46 PM

Good lord.

I was a camp councillor (and still can't spell it) for a number of years. The group I worked with most often was this age range. It's good to know that some people here would be glad to threaten me for doing my job and playing with the kiddies. Or for carrying their daughter cause the poor kid was too tired to walk, and almost in tears.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:50 PM

Oh for crying out loud!

My guess-the girl didn't say anything because she felt silly. She probably feel self-conscious-she's developing, at that age, you know, and it made her feel very uncomfortable.

Snugglebear, you have got to be kidding me. It is NOT SEXUAL ASSAULT!!! You have some serious issues. Get a grip already.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:56 PM

Quote:
think i'm wrong I think your wrong.
The end.
SDMB can be a tough place if a glimpse of ignorance is flashed. Most examples haven't been as cinematic as our esteemed representatives from M'boro have shown. My suggestion? Lurk on these boards for a while, get a feel for how it works, and how respect and facts are valued commodities. We all are here to fight ignorance, after all.

Unpopular positions are argued valiantly and factually daily here, and on occasion, you can see opinions changed right before your eyes.

Clarity is important. If other posters are unable to understand your point, it is as good as lost.

Don't be so defensive. If a point is not getting through, bring more information to the table, or try explaining it by a different tact.

Emulate the master. Read Cecil's books again. All of them. If you can put forth convincing points with disarming wit, you will go far here.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:46 PM

Snuggle Bear never siad that it was "SEXUAL ASSAULT!!" Only that it could be viewed as such and shouldn't be taken lightly. Snuggle bear and I just do not think that a man should tickle a little girl unless he is her father or someone close.. And I dont think that a "cool older brother" is someone I would want hanging around our little girl.

I think that it is sad that we in this world, time, and place that I live in that we do have to worry about that but it is something that we at least where I live do have to worry about.

NurseCarmen, Thank you. I can see what you mean and I think you are right. My spelling and grammer make it hard for me to form thoughts on paper like I do in my head and in trying to clear things up they seemed to have been muddled more. Which is why I left it at that. I see no point in trying to keep a fight going when really there never should have been one in the frist place.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:46 PM

Quote:
NurseCarmen, Thank you. I can see what you mean and I think you are right. My spelling and grammer make it hard for me to form thoughts on paper like I do in my head and in trying to clear things up they seemed to have been muddled more. Which is why I left it at that. I see no point in trying to keep a fight going when really there never should have been one in the frist place.
There is a way around that. You could copy and paste your text into Word, so it catches spelling errors, like "siad " for "said" or "frist" for "first" and so on. Though I don't always do so, I find that it often helps me make myself clearer than my natural spelling abilities would allow for. I'm not stupid by any measure, I just don't spell very well(although, the more I use the internet, the better my spelling seems in comparison to others'), and I suspect that is the truth in your case as well.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:58 PM

Yes that is the case. I start typing and not using a spell checker and then thats where I get myself into it. Thanks for the tip i'll have to try that. I have never been able to spell well. It comes with being ADHD with a few other add ons my parents gave me but what the hey I do my best.
Thank you Elfkin
Old 10-04-2002, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Snuggle Bear never siad that it was "SEXUAL ASSAULT!!"
You are correct. I believe the term she used was Aggravated Sexual Battery. There's a difference in believing that it was inappropriate behavior than accusing him of being a liar and guilty of a crime.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:32 PM

ummm Snuggle bear is not a girl.......... And he did not accuse him of anything only siad that it could be taken as something that it wasn't. No one has accuse him of anything. A few have siad that they dont think it was right. Others have siad that it could have been taken as something that it wasn't.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:41 PM
BANNED

Sorry it took so long, but here's a little bit of clarification.
  • It was in the driveway, with other people around, on the way from my car to the house
  • I didn't "hold her down" and tickle her, I snuck up behind her and tickled her... Total tickle time: approx. 10 seconds
  • She didn't tell me to stop... she giggled the same way she did the other 100 times I've tickled her
  • I don't "hang out" or "hang around" with them. Sometimes I play with them when my little bro brings them over
I'm sure there are a lot of things I missed, but it's late (this thread got longer then I anticipated), and I don't feel like going through the whole thread over and addressing everyone. If there are any specific issues or questions you want me to answer, I will be able to do so in the morning. Thanks for the input y'all.
Old 10-05-2002, 12:34 AM

Chekmate...

In the interest of summarizing all the opinions I find valid....

*bap* Just don't do it again. You didn't do anything wrong.

I'm in college, and I wrestled through high school. Now I referee and occasionally compete in the senior division. I've got spikey hair, sideburns, nice eyes and a teddy-bearish lineman build. I also lose a lot and laugh about it.

As you may imagine, I'm somewhat popular with the little sisters on grounds of being nonthreatening, so I totally understand the situation you're in. It sucks, and I sympathize. Chalk it up to experience, have a beer and lament the fact that you have to be too careful sometimes.
Old 10-05-2002, 01:52 AM

Several years ago I lost a relationship with my sister and her family because she accused me of molesting her child right in front of her. Our families were involved in a canoe trip. At one point near the base of a river cascade our three canoes were lashed together between two large rocks. My three year old neice wanted to get into another canoe. While I secured the caone to the rock with one hand, I assisted her entry into another canoe by lifting her butt. My wife received her in another canoe. It didn't help that another couple, my 20 year old nephew and girl friend from Europe were lagging behind earlier on the trip . My sister's son, 5 years old, asked what they were doing. I explained that they were K I S S I N G (spelling out the letters). He thought that was funny. My sister was pissed off about that. So after that trip my sister told everyone I molested her daughter and although we live in the same town, I haven't seen her or my neice and nephew since. Very painful for me. Under no circumstances will I ever touch period a girl other than my daughters. I will not allow myself to remain in a room with only one girl. Nothing has devastated me more than this accusation and estrangement from my sister and her children since the death of my mother when I was 15. Fortunately I've gotten a lot of support from the rest of my extended family ,immediate family and friends.
Old 10-05-2002, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Snuggle bear and I just do not think that a man should tickle a little girl unless he is her father or someone close.
I've heard that most molestations actually are done by a "father or someone close". If that's true, we would conclude that no adult man should ever tickle any underage girl.
Old 10-05-2002, 02:38 AM

Sorry Checkmate. I reread my posts and I didn't exactly say what I ment too.
Old 10-05-2002, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rowrrbazzle
I've heard that most molestations actually are done by a "father or someone close". If that's true, we would conclude that no adult man should ever tickle any underage girl.
Yes and no father should ever touch his girl,should never be alone with her,never change her diaper etc.

Yeah i guess all those times my mom held me and cuddled with me it was sexual abuse,who knows what you'd think of the fact that until the age of 10 i'd often sleep with my parents in their bed.

Does all contact have to be sexual? Is there such a thing as innocent affection?