Old 01-24-2020, 06:39 AM

Do you have strategies (successful ones) for keeping your sanity in these troubled times?

Assuming you are keeping hold of your sanity. Maybe you aren't.

I gave up watching news on TV years ago. I can't bear to have the pictures put into my head without warning and I truly cannot bear the endless punditry that goes nowhere. I read the local paper and two national newspapers every day (online), and listen to NPR news when I'm in the car. And of course, I get news updates and analysis here (sometimes mind-numbing, repetitious, gnawing "analysis" that resembles flogging a deceased equine).

There are moments and lately days where it all becomes too much.

The headlines that I read even in my partially news-blacked-out world are devastating, and I'm not just talking about politics here (although that's a big part of it). Fires in Australia possibly killing a BILLION animals, coronavirus epidemic in China, detained migrant children STILL separated from parents (NINE were reunited with their parents yesterday. NINE?!? Out of THOUSANDS??) Don't even get started on health care, climate change, homelessness, deliberate, wanton, careless destruction of the environment. I won't list the stories and incidents-- y'all are probably more well-informed on them than I am.

How are YOU coping? Day to day?

Petting your dog/children/spouse? Crossword puzzles? Music? Singing in a choir, playing in a band? Hiking in nature? Drugs, drinking, eating in moderation or to to excess? Writing poetry? Building an underground bunker and stocking it with canned goods (shades of the 1960s). Prayer/religion/trusting in God? Eating, drinking, and being merry? Do you "look on the bright side," e.g., people are living longer, crime is down, the economy is supposedly booming? Do you distract yourself, ignore the news, ration your exposure? Are your IRL social contacts, primarily family I guess, sufficient compensation? Or do you look at your children/grandchildren and feel alarmed at what the world will be when they're your age?

When you wake up in the morning and see the headlines, how do you get through the day? How do you get through your life?

Disclaimer: yes, I know suffering is part of life in this Vale of Tears. I just watched a Great Courses episode on the Black Death-- so yeah, life on earth can definitely suck on a mind-bogglingly large scale. There have always been plagues, wars, disease, cruelty and exploitation. Not gonna go away. With mass media today, we are informed instantaneously and constantly of this if we choose to be. As I said, I limit myself (not on ANY social media), but it still feels sweeping and overwhelming.

But how do you live with it? How do you keep your sanity, equilibrium, perspective-- get through each effing day (if you do)? That's what I'm having a hard time with and I could use a few tips.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:22 AM

I have never been super emotionally sensitive to current events that only have a tenuous connection to my day-to-day life. I guess you can say I compartmentalize well. The stuff in Washington DC right now is pissing me off, to be sure, but the pissed off feeling is easily replaced by another emotion once I shift my focus to something. And I'm really good at focusing on other things that don't bring me down.

I used to come home from work and immediately tune into CNN. I guess I still do, but I only tune in for a few seconds just to see if The Situation Room has interesting "breaking news". Like, if the president has done something really crazy or a hurricane is barrelling towards me, I want to know about it. But once I've gotten my fill, I switch to something else. I don't keep the talking heads on my TV for hours on end like I used to. Jibber jabber stresses me out, even jibber jabber that I agree with.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:45 AM

ummm...how 'bout this suggestion: Remember that you are a Doper.

After all, we're the nephews of our Uncle Cecil...we're the elite, the best, the smartest folks on the planet, right?
We don't just know facts...we put the facts into perspective.

And when ya do that, ya kinda figger out that life ain't so bad right now.

That list of problems you mention ain't so new, ya know.
We've all been there, done that.
And usually, we done it worse than we're doin' it now.

Remember, say, the 1960's?
Blood ran in the streets in Amerika, pollution was so bad the Cuyahoga river caught fire, there was a war going on, and stuff like that.
oh, ..and worst of all.... people frickin' blew cigarette smoke in your face everywhere.

So whatcha worried 'bout?

But if you still have trouble keeping perspective, you can always take a break and google "cute kittens".

Last edited by chappachula; 01-24-2020 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappachula View Post
...But if you still have trouble keeping perspective, you can always take a break and google "cute kittens".
Funny you should mention that. My first look in the morning is at the cat pictures on Reddit. Or Baby Corgis.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:59 AM

I guess I'm with monstro. That stuff doesn't effect me so it doesn't really matter. Ya, it sucks for people in Australia right now and its worse for the animals but life will go on and I can't think of a single way my daily life has changed because of it. Even Trump's craziness doesn't really matter. The trade embargos have hurt my industry but not enough we've seen layoffs (mostly due to the tax cut from 2 years ago). I'm a white male so his racism doesn't hit me or anyone I know. So while its a bad thing it doesn't move the needle emotionally since if I turn off the tv and live my life it goes away.

I guess that's the answer for me then is I live my life and its busy enough that most of the time I can only let things in my life effect me emotionally.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:00 AM
born to be shunned

Other than here? Although the Old Wench has kidded me that "When you log into the SDMB looking for reason things may have gone too far gone".
Old 01-24-2020, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

I get through today, and don't think about tomorrow until it is today.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappachula View Post
That list of problems you mention ain't so new, ya know.
We've all been there, done that.
And usually, we done it worse than we're doin' it now.

Remember, say, the 1960's?
Blood ran in the streets in Amerika, pollution was so bad the Cuyahoga river caught fire, there was a war going on, and stuff like that.
oh, ..and worst of all.... people frickin' blew cigarette smoke in your face everywhere.
Very true.

While I find it frustrating that we are currently revisiting some of the issues that were pretty well settled 50 years ago, things are definitely better now. I seem to recall Jon Stewart saying on the Daily Show a while back that we're mostly just bickering over the details now because the main issues are largely settled.

Not to say I'm a Pollyanna, we do have pressing matters and there are powerful interests that want us to do the wrong thing. But over time I'm confident we'll go in the right direction.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:33 AM

Four simple words.

"This, too, shall pass."
Old 01-24-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
I guess I'm with monstro. That stuff doesn't effect me so it doesn't really matter. Ya, it sucks for people in Australia right now and its worse for the animals but life will go on and I can't think of a single way my daily life has changed because of it. Even Trump's craziness doesn't really matter. The trade embargos have hurt my industry but not enough we've seen layoffs (mostly due to the tax cut from 2 years ago). I'm a white male so his racism doesn't hit me or anyone I know. So while its a bad thing it doesn't move the needle emotionally since if I turn off the tv and live my life it goes away.

I guess that's the answer for me then is I live my life and its busy enough that most of the time I can only let things in my life effect me emotionally.
I agree with this. There's nothing I can do about the craziness in the world. The world has been crazy from the beginning of time. When was it perfect? I hear or see something on the news and I think how horrible it is and might even feel sad, but my life goes on. I've had things in my own life that were horrible and I'm sure there will be more in my future, but still, my life has and will go on. I can't control the climate or Washington DC where everyone is whacky in some way.

I walk my dogs, go to work, enjoy time spent with grandkids and other family, argue with my husband and then make up and watch my favorite shows. I just live my life.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:34 AM

For me it's God is in control and is sovereign over everything. Yes one of the heads of the beast appears to have come to power as is warning against us and this earth, creating atrocity after atrocity. It's tough times, but the victory is already won, God wins.

But it's not only that, but God also protects. I believe God has shown me that suffering we see in others is often mitigated by God, so the person doesn't experience everything we see of it

So I believe in God's kingdom, not worldly governments. I believe I see a bigger plan for humanity, I pray for the people of this nation, and the world,and the Father's Kingdom come. I can happily say the Pledge of allegiance which has 'under God' which negates the pledge in its entirety, as my allegiance is to sovereign Lord and I admit to that in the pledge, God superseded the commitment of the pledge as the US is under the sovereignty of God, and there is no overlap or conflict - God is total and complete. Even without that phrase included, it would mean the say as God would still have total sovereignty, it is just His mercy that included that phrase to help me understand it.

I ask for guidance for things I can't understand and wisdom for things I can not accept. God has shown me many times how things are typically misinterpreted when it comes to our understanding of Him. God also lets me experience wonderful things, a look at God's kingdom with power in our day and age, but hidden to most people.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

I know how you feel. These days, if I even hear the word Australia pop up, I'm outta there. It just doesn't bear thinking about. And I'm distressed with the way some things are going for my family as well, so it's not just a matter of avoiding the news.

At this point, I throw my hands up to the sky and say "Hasa Diga Ebowai!" It's better if you sing the whole thing.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

I don't take any of it personal. I know there is very little if anything I can do about it. I just sit back and hope for the best and expect the worse. Most things tend to land about the middle.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

The world has been coming to an end for as long as I can remember. In the meantime, the global rate of extreme poverty has plummeted, US deaths from air pollution have been cut almost in half, technological progress has exploded. Global life expectancy has gone way up. We could produce enough food to feed half again as many people as now live. Racism and sexism are massively in decline.

Yes, climate change is a problem and politicians are jerks. Politicians have always been jerks, and there has always been something that will end civilization as we know it. People are trying to get us to panic and/or shut down so we don't ask too many questions and don't put up too much fuss when they start ordering us around. That's not new either.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 01-24-2020, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Four simple words.

"This, too, shall pass."
I'm hoping that the Trump presidency is the right wing's last stand. They've had a good run since 1980 but they've played it out. The demographics are against them and they're down to the some of the people you can fool all of the time.

Normal people are looking at the Trump administration and saying "This is what the Republicans are all about?"

I anticipate the Republican Party is about to spend some time in the political wilderness. That's not something I view with unmixed emotions. I worry that the Democrats might let success spoil them. But I'm hoping that the Republicans will be able to rid their party of the bullshit and come back as a respectable organization once again. Then we can go back to having a balanced two party system.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:40 AM

Y'all are very sensible. Thank you for those replies.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:01 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Y'all are very sensible.

Now its MY turn to be frightened!
Old 01-24-2020, 12:23 PM

Being busy is the easiest way to keep your head. "Yeah, yeah, global warming's awful, but I gotta get to work on time and those dishes aren't gonna clean themselves."

If I'm not busy I'll put some good music on or pick up a good book.

If I'm feeling really down I'll make a gratitude list. Usually I start with things like "I'm not in jail" and "No one is actively trying to kill me".
Old 01-24-2020, 12:33 PM

For me, it's basically taking the time to be actively aware of what I can and can't affect/influence/control, and trying to adjust my thinking about those things to match. And for most things, they never even really come to that level of introspection- they're just some news article about something hundreds or thousands of miles away that is unlikely to affect me in the least.

Basically what Oredigger77 said.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
But how do you live with it? How do you keep your sanity, equilibrium, perspective-- get through each effing day (if you do)? That's what I'm having a hard time with and I could use a few tips.
I suggest reading this: WHY YOU SHOULD QUIT THE NEWS
Old 01-24-2020, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sane? Me? To quote Chico, "you can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause!"

Getting serious: obviously it's not everyone's thing, but the continuing presence of the Lord in my life is what keeps me sane and centered. And it's what impels me to do what I can in response to the madness of our times.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:13 PM

"It must be late in the day that pygmies cast such long shadows." --Gian Carlo Rota, Italian American mathematician.

As far as climate change goes it is getting to be very late in the day. And the orange menace is certainly a mental pygmy. The Australian has even smaller mental stature, which I didn't think possible.

I won't live to see the worst, but I have children and grandchildren.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:53 PM

I've become fatalistic but hold out hope that the younger generations (Millennials and Gen Z) will as Phil Collins said 'put it right'. but I'm guessing it'll be the 2030s before we really see meaningful shifts in our culture and government due to it.

I feel like a meaningful percentage of the older generation are so attached to white supremacy that they've lost all contact with morality and reality. Obviously they aren't all like that, but I'm hoping there is a generational shift.

I don't think the world will end, but I think we're facing pretty large issues on a domestic and global scale that aren't being dealt with properly. Climate change, resource depletion, lack of sustainability in our lifestyle and economy, rise of neofascism, health care, long term debt, etc.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:54 PM

I just remember Reinhold Niebuhr's "Serenity Prayer":

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

Leaving out the "God" part, of course.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I'm hoping that the Trump presidency is the right wing's last stand. They've had a good run since 1980 but they've played it out. The demographics are against them and they're down to the some of the people you can fool all of the time.

Normal people are looking at the Trump administration and saying "This is what the Republicans are all about?"

I anticipate the Republican Party is about to spend some time in the political wilderness. That's not something I view with unmixed emotions. I worry that the Democrats might let success spoil them. But I'm hoping that the Republicans will be able to rid their party of the bullshit and come back as a respectable organization once again. Then we can go back to having a balanced two party system.
I'd like to believe that, but I don't know. I feel like we're at a point where no matter how corrupt, criminal, incompetent, dangerous, etc you are as a politician, as long as you promote white identity politics you're guaranteed 60 million votes in national elections. Throw in various forms of cheating (voter suppression, gerrymandering, hacking election, abusing the census, etc) and the GOP are a powerful national party.

Trump may be their last stand, but its going to take a while for the demographics to change. But I do hope by the 2050s at the latest, we are done with Trumpism as a national threat.

In blue states the GOP is already moving into the wilderness. California for example is basically a one party state at this time. But so far, I don't know if it has changed anything.

I also worry the GOP will stack the courts with yes men who overturn any laws passed by millennials and younger generations when they take power.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:11 PM

I follow Candide's advice.

I cultivate my garden.

Rubbing dog bellies helps too.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Hard-bitten cynicism.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:14 PM

“This too shall pass” works better for kidney stones than reality, in my experience

On a good day, I consider that if someone had said in 1855 “10 years from now, serfdom in Russia and slavery in the US will be abolished,” people would have laughed at them.

On a bad day, I think of Eduardo Galeano’s “Let’s save our pessimism for better days.” And his paraphrase of Fernando Birri:”Utopia lies at the horizon. When I draw nearer by two steps, it retreats two steps. If I proceed ten steps forward, it swiftly slips ten steps ahead. No matter how far I go, I can never reach it. What, then, is the purpose of utopia? It is to cause us to advance.”

On the worst days, I think of the German expression, “Hope dies last.”
Old 01-24-2020, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

I'll likely be dead in ten years or so, so I'm finding it harder to become outraged over the latest thing that some shit-for-brains politician says.

First thing I look at in the morning is The Far Side website. It sets the tone for the day. Secondly, I look to see if any of my kids have posted on FB. Thirdly, I go to the Dope to see if I need to enlighten any of you with an inane comment or two, and generally avoid the politics, pit and debate fora, although once in awhile I get sucked in.

And I wait for my wife to see the latest news and relay anything vital to me. Then we do the daily crossword and jumble in a friendly competition. I don't read about Trump, and I mute the TV whenever he is on it. I do watch local news, which is usually just about as stupid as the national bit. I try to take a walk every day to observe actual life going on instead of the fake lives being lived in Washington, DC.

I don't care who is running for POTUS on the Dem side, because I will vote for whomever wins the primary. Twice, if I can get away with it.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:26 PM

Sarcasm, mostly. And the fact that the times have always been bad, and much worse even in the lifetime of my parents (WW II).

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 01-24-2020 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Oh, and I never, ever, under any circumstance, look at this.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:58 PM

I don't know, but for me, it's so disheartening to see that the people in power, right now, are actively rolling back things that took generations to build. It has depleted my optimism that humanity will always progress. It won't. And there is no law in the universe that says it will. Our technology has allowed everyone to live in a virtual reality, only seeing and hearing what we choose and no reason to change that. So things are bad and things will not get any better. And anytime now that I hear new crazy, depressing shit on the news, I just accept it and turn inwards towards my happiness and family. I think to myself that if I never listened to news I'd never know any difference between who was in any federal position, and during in my blink-of-an-eye time on this earth, there are things I can do that bring me and my loved ones happiness independent of the world around me.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:05 PM

I used to be an information junkie. So I get it.

BUT, there are so many things I really need or want to do for myself and my loved ones that I don't even have the time and resources for that it makes it very easy to be ignorant of stuff I don't want to engage. So, staying busy prioritizing stuff that matters goes a long way.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Oh, and I never, ever, under any circumstance, look at this.
I have followed that thread religiously from the beginning and I wonder how I have kept my peace of mind and my hope in humanity. But you gotta be informed to complain.

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 01-24-2020 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:41 PM

Don't take life so serious -- It ain't nohow permanent.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:04 AM

Skiing, off-roading with dogs and the Drink.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:07 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:

I gave up watching news on TV years ago. I can't bear to have the pictures put into my head without warning and I truly cannot bear the endless punditry that goes nowhere.
Irrespective of what's happening in the news, that's the problem with news on TV; most is puinidts being pundity.

I don't recall which comedian it was, but one of them had a routine where he said that back in the day there was only half an hour of news a night and now it's 24 hours "and back then, that was correct." He was right. It just isn't possible to cover the news 24/7 and actually have 24/7 worth of news to report. You can sum it all up in an hour, tops.

Quote:
There are moments and lately days where it all becomes too much.
You need to reduce your news consumption.

Things have always been like this.

There are natural disasters, you say? Always have been. Viruses? Always have been, and hell, it used to be worse. Wars? Always have been. Crime? Always have been. Poverty? Old news. Outrage? Since the dawn of time.

Nothing is really different right now.

Turn off the TV. You won't miss it.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
...Turn off the TV. You won't miss it.
I appreciate your thoughts, AND I said in my OP that I don't watch TV news. I don't have cable, and the only station I get OTA is PBS. I don't watch the news there either.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:45 AM

I agree with all the posts saying how most 'dire' current events don't affect most people very directly except insofar as they get upset by watching news coverage of them.

But the main point is Rick Jay's just above. A similar description of 'these troubled times' could have been given pretty much any time since I've been alive and conscious of what's going on outside my own life. How about watching them read off the names of those American service people killed in Vietnam each week as one news channel used to, a long list ca. 1968, and that didn't include the names of a whole lot more Vietnamese, allied and opposing, who got killed that week. How about obsessing over the possibility of all out nuclear war? And you can still do that if you'd like to, though the media doesn't pay much attention to the possibility anymore.

And this is talking (my conscious experience) 1960's on, not far more 'troubled times' in many or most places longer ago.

If you have emotional trouble dealing with very bad news from far away with no real practical effect on you, or even the potential for very bad news which might indeed affect you in the future (nuclear war, climate change etc) I think you just have to pay less attention to the media, or seek professional help if you can't get yourself to do that. Re 'I don't watch TV' with due respect some media must be giving you the idea things are so dire compared to the normal state of the world. Whatever media that is then, consume less, if it's really bothering you. Is my 2 cents anyway.

Last edited by Corry El; 01-25-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
I don't know, but for me, it's so disheartening to see that the people in power, right now, are actively rolling back things that took generations to build. It has depleted my optimism that humanity will always progress. It won't. And there is no law in the universe that says it will. Our technology has allowed everyone to live in a virtual reality, only seeing and hearing what we choose and no reason to change that. So things are bad and things will not get any better. And anytime now that I hear new crazy, depressing shit on the news, I just accept it and turn inwards towards my happiness and family. I think to myself that if I never listened to news I'd never know any difference between who was in any federal position, and during in my blink-of-an-eye time on this earth, there are things I can do that bring me and my loved ones happiness independent of the world around me.
I know the feeling. I guess I used to subscribe to Fukuyama's view that the end goal was liberal democracy, and everyone was marching towards that in their own ways. As nations got wealthier, healthier and better educated, they would eventually demand democracy and human rights.

But lately I've seen so many nations willingly abandon democracy in favor of xenophobia, tribalism and dictatorship. Russia, Hungary, Poland, Brazil, America, Venezuela, Turkey, etc. Then you have China using AI to create the perfect dictatorship and they'll export this technology to the entire world. Even civilized nations like France, the national front's share of the vote went from 18% in 2002 to 34% in 2017.

What also really sucks is this feeling that a lot of people will abandon every principle a civilized person should have in favor of tribalism. "Fuck my grandchildren, my tribe needs me" could be the mantra of a lot of people nowadays and it sucks hard. Who cares if your kids and grandkids can't see a doctor, find a good job, have a right to vote, live on a sustainable planet, etc. There is some black guy or muslim somewhere who is scary and thats more important.

I really hope this is a blip, but I don't know. I just know this made me realize how important checks and balances are to deal with the inevitable rise in authoritarianism. If Germany had had strong checks and balances, then the Nazis may have just been a blip in history and been voted out of power within a few years. Venezuela tore down their checks and balances, and Poland is trying to tear down the checks and balances there too. And the people there keep voting for it election after election.

What I do focus on are the success stories. Mexico created a universal health care system. India is building a national health care system. Germany is defending democracy. People in North Korea are consuming foreign media and learning the system there is all a lie. Kids are starting movements to deal with guns and climate change because their parents let them down, etc.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 01-25-2020 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
I have followed that thread religiously from the beginning and I wonder how I have kept my peace of mind and my hope in humanity. But you gotta be informed to complain.
Yeah, that was a bit of humor directed at the OP. I've contributed to that thread in the past, but I've stopped as part of my no Trump policy for this year.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:35 PM

The Italian Marxist suggested “pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will,” and given his time on Mussolini’s prisons, well, gosh. But these days I say “optimism of the intellect and the will,” and look for silver linings. As an oldster, I feel duty-bound to offer hope to the next generations.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:14 PM

I used to be an extremely optimistic person. At the moment I focus on simply maintaining my peace of mind and I achieve this by keeping busy.

I spend time with my family. Despite the inherent daily little frictions, my happiness stems from my family members' happiness.

I prepare 50% of my daily food take, with the other half being prepared by my wife. This includes shopping. It is a time-consuming activity, but we enjoy following a healthy diet. I derive a strange feeling of satisfaction from the whole process.

I exercise. Outdoors. Reducing screen time is not enough. Spending long time outside enhances my inner peace and happiness.

I plan things on a regular basis. Things related to my work, my family, home improvement, etc. There are short term and long term goals, minor plans and major plans, personal ambitions and family objectives. Long time ago I stopped being idealistic. I don't have dreams, only plans. I approach them pragmatically and every little or big success makes me feel I am constantly improving. This is a sentiment I have nurtured (i.e. fueled through what I perceive as achievements) all my life: right now I am better than I have ever been before.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:23 PM

I hear you, OP!

In the last few years, Stoicism has become very persuasive to me - as a reminder that "we don’t control and cannot rely on external events, only ourselves and our responses."

Several of the replies you've gotten in this thread express ideas handed down to us from the Stoics.

https://dailystoic.com/what-is-stoic...t-you-started/
Old 01-26-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sudan View Post
I hear you, OP!

In the last few years, Stoicism has become very persuasive to me - as a reminder that "we don’t control and cannot rely on external events, only ourselves and our responses."

Several of the replies you've gotten in this thread express ideas handed down to us from the Stoics.

https://dailystoic.com/what-is-stoic...t-you-started/
The Stoics had a lot on the ball. The popular conception of them is off-base. Thanks for that link.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:56 AM

I used to read the news obsessively and worry about things constantly.

Trump’s election changed that for me. I glance at the headlines but don’t look at the details. It just was too upsetting.

The world goes on without my active monitoring. I have my own things to worry about now.

I’m much less stressed.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
"It must be late in the day that pygmies cast such long shadows." --Gian Carlo Rota, Italian American mathematician.

As far as climate change goes it is getting to be very late in the day. And the orange menace is certainly a mental pygmy. The Australian has even smaller mental stature, which I didn't think possible.

I won't live to see the worst, but I have children and grandchildren.
This. I won't see the worst of it either (I'll see probably more than you, since IIRC you're a bit older than me), but my son would be 93 when the 22nd century begins, so if something doesn't kill him first, he will see it get a hell of a lot further along than you or I would.

Like you undoubtedly feel about your children and grandchildren, I want him to be able to live his life in a fundamentally hospitable world. I don't want to go to my grave knowing that I and my generation have failed him on this score.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:50 PM

Well I … oh.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:33 PM

For me, what's depressing is not just Trumpism and its fanatics, and all the depressing anger in the news. What's tipped me over the edge is the scope of climate change, deforestation, etc. and the likelihood that the world as we know it is already well down the road to physical destruction. I'm basically a nihilist now. The earth is going to come to an end someday, so why not now? I try to be a responsible person and I take action in the remote possibility that my actions will make a difference, but I basically just see the social and physical world as self-destructing, so I have to make peace with that.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:02 PM

For me it’s the knowledge that my lifelong commitment to nihilism was well founded.