Old 01-23-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
There's one (I think it's for Legal Zoom) where a woman refers to her "ex ex ex boyfriend".

What does that mean? I assume it means that she's had 2 more ex boyfriends since then, but the language doesn't work like that.

Boyfriends don't stack up like great and great-great grandparents, or twice removed cousins. An ex boyfriend is still simply an ex boyfriend regardless of how many you've had since then. They don't somehow become more "ex".
Maybe they got together again and broke up again, twice. Shows she is incapable or learning.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
There's a commercial with some fat bleached blond tRump cunt shown a hundred times a day. Whining about a congressman, Anthony Brindisi who had the GALL to vote for impeachment of the orange messiah! 'Why doesn't he concentrate on REAL issues like illegals storming the borders and 'fixing' the opioid crisis?' God, I hate her. That whining voice! Clueless and single minded, butthurt and offended . (I hope I put this in the right category, it is political, but it is also an annoying commercial I see over and over till I can scream.)
Stacy?
Old 01-23-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
I kind of hate all the drug ads that try to make it sound like having some disease transports you into a beer commercial where everyone is young and pretty and happy and active. Also the ones that make it sound like having some disease makes you a superhero, who "fights back." Just take your fucking pill and shut up.
Yes, this is annoying. All a pill does is make you live a bit longer. You will not miraculously 1) go on picnics with a big jolly happy family of loved ones, 2) you will not be prancing down a beach with a big woofy cute doggy, 3) you will not be dancing under the stars with a silver-haired fox. You will still be sitting at home hoping your exhausted irritated daughter shows up to cart you to the doctor yet again, next week. (I do miss the boner pill commercials, haven't seen them in a while. Laughed and laughed my ass off at the romantic scenarios.)

Last edited by salinqmind; 01-23-2020 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:50 PM

Yes. 'Stacy'. God, how I hate her. I feel like sending money to the guy she's plotzing over.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, this is annoying. All a pill does is make you live a bit longer. You will not miraculously 1) go on picnics with a big jolly happy family of loved ones, 2) you will not be prancing down a beach with a big woofy cute doggy, 3) you will not be dancing under the stars with a silver-haired fox. You will still be sitting at home hoping your exhausted irritated daughter shows up to cart you to the doctor yet again, next week. (I do miss the boner pill commercials, haven't seen them in a while. Laughed and laughed my ass off at the romantic scenarios.)
Yeah, those ads annoy me. Take the pill and you dont have and dont need a job, you have a handsome SO who never says a word, your kids are great, the weathers fine, and you go to parties and such all the time- except when you are having a perfect garden party at your place.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Yes, this is annoying. All a pill does is make you live a bit longer. You will not miraculously 1) go on picnics with a big jolly happy family of loved ones, 2) you will not be prancing down a beach with a big woofy cute doggy, 3) you will not be dancing under the stars with a silver-haired fox.
Wait.. what? You mean the pills don't come with a new wardrobe of all white linen clothing for you and your spouse so you can walk around on sand dunes together?
Old 01-24-2020, 10:49 AM

Hubby: I hate these commercials! You take a pill and all of a sudden you wear less clothes? What are they? Skin baring pills?

Me: Well. . . they are about curing the heartbreak of psoriasis and eczema so. . . yeah?
Old 01-24-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
Probably been mentioned before, but it seems like all the auto insurance ads are either irrelevant, awful, or both.

The less said about Limu Emu and Liberty Biberty, the better.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...%26FORM%3DVDRE
This is the Best outtake. Love this guy

Last edited by SuntanLotion; 01-24-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...%26FORM%3DVDRE
This is the Best outtake. Love this guy
Liberty Biberty.

I always imagine it is Michael Weston (the character, not the actor.)
Old 01-24-2020, 08:37 PM

I mentioned earlier in this (very long) thread how much this particular commercial cracked me up. Made me laugh the first 5 times. Now after repeated viewings (did Liberty Mutual give you a million dollars to play their commercials every 4 minutes Science Channel?) I'd like for him to stop being an idiot and learn to speak.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Hubby: I hate these commercials! You take a pill and all of a sudden you wear less clothes? What are they? Skin baring pills?

Me: Well. . . they are about curing the heartbreak of psoriasis and eczema so. . . yeah?
Yes, but some of those pills lower your resistance so that you risk death. Is it worth it? I have psoriatic arthritis*, and I am not about to take some of the imho dangerous drugs for it. I do take 800mg ibuprofen for the pain as needed, sure. But some of those biologics are danger, they lower your immune system.

* mild to moderate, not so bad.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:59 PM

A lot of those medicines have side effects worse than the disease/condition. Or side effects that ARE the condition.

"Take Platynia for psoriasis. May cause burning sensation, lowered blood pressure, increased psoriasis, loss of bladder and bowel control, death, death-like symptoms, increased heart rate, thoughts of suicide, or the condition known as "sausage fingers". Do not take Platynia if you are allergic to Platynia."
Old 01-25-2020, 02:02 PM

And did you notice that the little scenes, mini movies, in these commercials, with happy people living full and exciting lives, doing things with their families or spouses, are virtually interchangeable? Next time, substitute in your mind the last drug commercial's voice over, and it will fit. I wonder if the actors they get even know what commercial their fun romps will be used in.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
And did you notice that the little scenes, mini movies, in these commercials, with happy people living full and exciting lives, doing things with their families or spouses, are virtually interchangeable? Next time, substitute in your mind the last drug commercial's voice over, and it will fit. I wonder if the actors they get even know what commercial their fun romps will be used in.
Well, of course! These commercials are promising people with debilitating conditions a normal life. Take our pill and be like people without prehensile joint dysplesia and enjoy yourself at a picnic fer cryin' out loud!
Old 01-26-2020, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Grandpa and COPD and the Three Little Pigs and Symbicort.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Well, of course! These commercials are promising people with debilitating conditions a normal life. Take our pill and be like people without prehensile joint dysplesia and enjoy yourself at a picnic fer cryin' out loud!
I must butt in again because I remember years ago there was a commercial for a pill for arthritis. The start of it was some woman leaving the doctor's office practically in tears, as if she had just been told she was going to die a horrible painful death within the week. Arthritis. She has arthritis. Not cancer or Ebola or an inoperable brain tumor, but arthritis. Surprise!
She looks to be about 60, wealthy, well dressed, but no longer a perfect, lucky lucky girl. ....Fast forward, after taking that pill for arthritis, she and hubby are laughing, smiling, striding along a beautiful windswept beach, happy as is possible to be!
Old 01-26-2020, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hardly normal. They promise a carefree & wonderful life.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
NO. They will only keep you living past your due date. Meanwhile, you are sitting at home, on oxygen maybe, swollen legs, in a Depends, watching Judge Judy and The View and so on. Waiting for someone to come pick up your sorry ass, for yet another doctor visit.

Jesus, please, take me now.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Because it's trying to sell you something. What kind of commercial would it be if it's message was 'Take our pill, continue to pay your bills but with less pooping.'
Old 01-26-2020, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Jardience takes things to the next level... Not to settle for mere organ damage or death as a side effect, this one can apparently cause your taint to rot off. How can a cardiac drug for diabetics cause this?
Old 01-26-2020, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

This is a commercial for a Lexus car, in which the big benefit being touted is that the car allows you to use Amazon Alexa. So the couple in the commercial, upon learning that one of their mothers is arriving momentarily, instruct Alexa to start the coffee, set the temperature in the house and start the Roomba. So all the commercial has to say about the car is that it includes a digital assistant, the same one you could load on your phone as an app. Pretty weak.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:52 AM

The Luminess commercial that keeps constantly repeating Cher's song "If I Could Turn Back Time" is really getting annoying. I'm not going to link to it because I don't want to subject anyone else to that particular earworm.

Also, in an unrelated complaint, not about a specific commercial, but a pitchman, is anybody else getting tired of seeing Shaquille O'Neal on their TV all of the time?

Last edited by cochrane; 01-27-2020 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
The Luminess commercial that keeps constantly repeating Cher's song "If I Could Turn Back Time" is really getting annoying.
Yeah! If those commercials are accurate, that makeup does not turn back time. What it does is put the consumer in the uncanny valley; those women do not look younger, they look artificial!
Old 01-27-2020, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Every time I see those drtohelp commercials, I have to wonder, why is this guy wearing John Travolta's skin?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
Every time I see those drtohelp commercials, I have to wonder, why is this guy wearing John Travolta's skin?
I have never seen this commercial before. He's like John Travolta and Alexa had a baby!
Old 01-27-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Liberty Biberty.

I always imagine it is Michael Weston (the character, not the actor.)
I'm temptd to change my username to Liberty Biberty
Old 01-27-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Because it's trying to sell you something. What kind of commercial would it be if it's message was 'Take our pill, continue to pay your bills but with less pooping.'
If they had brains, they would use that as their slogan
Old 02-02-2020, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Your commercial is painful, Boost.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:15 PM

Man, the Super Bowl ads were in the main depressingly awful [note: I disconnected cable several years ago and only watch certain key sports events now], stupid people doing stupid things to awful music. I did like Sly Stallone's cameo on the steps he ran up on during Rocky, and Bill Murray's Groundhog Day reprise was pretty funny, but overall they blew hairy green chunks.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores Reborn View Post
We did; it's just been quite a while since it was nentioned. They've certainly gotten a lot of use out of that advert.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
Man, the Super Bowl ads were in the main depressingly awful [note: I disconnected cable several years ago and only watch certain key sports events now], stupid people doing stupid things to awful music. I did like Sly Stallone's cameo on the steps he ran up on during Rocky, and Bill Murray's Groundhog Day reprise was pretty funny, but overall they blew hairy green chunks.
I was glad to see "Jake from State Farm" again. Slightly altered but still good!
Old 02-03-2020, 10:44 AM

Liberty Auto Insurance with that fucking ostrich and creepy 70's dude makes me want to tear up my insurance policy and go back to Geico. To be honest, every one of their commercials is fucking irritating. It's a deep and profound loathing. Enough to provoke a strongly worded letter.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Liberty Auto Insurance with that fucking ostrich and creepy 70's dude makes me want to tear up my insurance policy and go back to Geico. To be honest, every one of their commercials is fucking irritating. It's a deep and profound loathing. Enough to provoke a strongly worded letter.
I agree, except for the one that shows his wife/girlfriend. I think she's hot, in a girl next door kind of way.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:22 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
It's an emu. Ostrich does not rhyme with Limu.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:53 PM

More stupid insurance commercials:

The one with Tina Fey and Mayhem as her pet dog. He's licking her and she's claiming that she's not distracted because she's got the "drive safe" 1984 monitoring software. But how is she not distracted? She's got a huge dog licking her face. That's like the definition of distracted driving.

Also, the guy with the State Farm software who's being challenged to a drag race by some guy.

a. The last time anyone was challenged to a drag race by some random guy at a light was probably 1963.
b. If the only reason you don't accept an invitation to a drag race is that you don't want to lose your 30% discount on insurance, then you probably shouldn't be behind the wheel.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Speaking of words, you do have to admit that Liberty's jingle is some fine songwriting.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag Otto View Post
Speaking of words, you do have to admit that Liberty's jingle is some fine songwriting.
It doesn't have that many fewer words than My Sweet Lord
Old 02-04-2020, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Taco Bell, your nacho fries are nowhere near as great as your commercials make them out to be.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Taco Bell, your nacho fries are nowhere near as great as your commercials make them out to be.
They're all right, but a bit overpriced for what you get, IMO.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Smart Speaker: Play easy listening smooth jazz playlist!
Old 02-09-2020, 03:28 AM
Charter Member

Why is a cruise line using a song that is blatantly about using psychedelic drugs? That one really puzzles me. Do they really not know what it's about?
Old 02-09-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Why is a cruise line using a song that is blatantly about using psychedelic drugs? That one really puzzles me. Do they really not know what it's about?
Which commercial is this?
Old 02-09-2020, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Which commercial is this?
This one.
https://youtu.be/28NcvcfqoBg
Old 02-09-2020, 09:25 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
It's about taking a trip.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's actually pretty damn cool.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:21 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I'm willing to bet that the same soulless hack who wrote "Today's the Daisy" also wrote the new Skyrizi jingle.

You can actually hear the singer's soul dying in both.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

The Turbo Tax "all people are tax people" is both horrible and catchy, so sticks in your head, annoying you far past its 30 seconds.

I'm sparing you by not linking to it.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:03 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
The Turbo Tax "all people are tax people" is both horrible and catchy, so sticks in your head, annoying you far past its 30 seconds.

And the "dancing." :shudder:
Old 02-10-2020, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Old 02-10-2020, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post

Is that the one where they show people supposedly "doing their taxes" while they're doing other things? No, they aren't doing their taxes, they're paying someone else to do their taxes.