Old 01-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdo23 View Post
Apparently it is, as you couldn't be bothered to write it out or even cut & paste.

Anyway, it's nonsense. It tastes perfectly fine even if consumed directly from the bottle.

Now yes, it's true if you don't take some care & time you end up with too little beer and too much foam, which if I am paying for beer is a crime.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Hmmm, true.

My dad has a recipe for bread that's just beer and flower. Damn, it's good.
What kind of flower? Daisies? Carnations?

ETA: I imagine that bread has a really nice bouquet!

Last edited by Cat Whisperer; 01-27-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:41 PM

Stella Artois Nine Step Pouring Ritual.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFidelius View Post
If the bartender makes a little shamrock in the head, you are allowed to stab him in the throat with a fork. In several counties in Ireland this is mandatory.
What's mandatory - the shamrock, or the stabbing?
Old 01-27-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdvl View Post
I probably have over a thousand dollars worth of Scotch on my bar right now.
It's a good bet Bricker has at least $1500 worth.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Now THAT'S some good fucking pretentious twaddle!
Old 01-27-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
Now THAT'S some good fucking pretentious twaddle!
But a beautiful poster. I don't like their beer, but they do cool marketing. I own a few Stella chalices, and a special fancy knife for cutting the head.

Over the top video of the nine step ritual pour.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAdian View Post
What's mandatory - the shamrock, or the stabbing?
Both. Makes a good show for the tourists.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But a beautiful poster. I don't like their beer, but they do cool marketing. I own a few Stella chalices, and a special fancy knife for cutting the head.

Over the top video of the nine step ritual pour.
That's awesome ... that SA created it makes it priceless.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:33 PM

Guinness = ambrosia

Yes, too big a head is a waste.

I admit I haven't shopped around America for a better stout. There is a nice fairly cheap bottled half and half from Yuengling that I enjoy with many meals.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Amateurs.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:13 PM

Scotch is to drink, not to display. I doubt I have ever had more than $200.00 worth in the house at any given time.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFidelius View Post
Scotch is to drink, not to display. I doubt I have ever had more than $200.00 worth in the house at any given time.
I did, the night of my 30th. The following morning I probably had <$50 worth left.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:31 PM

A "Black n Tan" is my favorite beverage...hardly anyone will carry Guinness on tap...they really need to stop charging 5+ bucks for it too.

It's just a fucking beer like any other fucking beer, not a glass of filet mignon.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
What kind of flower? Daisies? Carnations?

ETA: I imagine that bread has a really nice bouquet!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:21 AM

I'm not actually particularly enthused by beer, but I do know that Nigerian Guinness is pretty good (stronger than Irish Guinness). My favourite stout has to be "Trouble Brewing" by "Dark Arts", or possibly the other way around. Got it from a restaurant outside of Derry. I actually quite enjoy Guinness with blackcurrant, which would probably make me a joke by the connoisseurs standards. I'm perfectly content with a 2L bottle of Strongbow (the Mad-Dog of English ciders, regularly consumed at student digs or park benches). Got Strongbow on tap once in a bar in Pennsylvania and it was awful - not sure if that were due to mixing drinks, a different constitution for export, or different water going into brewing it.

Oh and they didn't know how to make an Irish car bomb at my favourite pub, so they just gave me a pint of Guinness with Jamesons and Baileys in it. It curdled. Not fun.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:48 AM

Bartender here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterj2 View Post
I think the whole thing with the two-step pour is to let the head settle, so that you have room to add more beer. The other option to get to the same level of liquid beer and head in the glass would be to keep pouring beer in as the head overflows. If there's not much head, I'm thinking it's less carbonated (err, nitrogenated?) or a bunch of head was spilled out, not that it was poured sloppily. That would probably result in more head. I think.
This.

We have a recurring issue with 2 of our taps being particularly foamy. One is no problem because we stick our corporate-required "local favorite" on it (it's from Cleveland, not a big selling point in Pittsburgh) and just forget it. But the other we actually have to pour beer out of. We put Sam lager on it under the theory that a warm glass = less bubbles and of the Sams we tend to sell more of the seasonal.

Why am I mentioning this? Because the foamy Sam Adams takes just a bit longer to settle than the Guinness. A lot of Guinness drinkers are aware that it takes longer to pour one and wait patiently whereas the Sam drinkers stare impatiently at you or make jokes about your ability to sling drinks. Not all Guinness drinkers know to expect to wait for one but most do thanks to the advertising campaign. So it's beneficial from my perspective.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:56 AM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
No question.

I have an app for that: iMalt. Unfortunately, it doesn't have an aggregate total cost option, but I have 44 bottles and a fair average cost is $45, so...yup. In fairness, those bottles range from unopened to almost empty, but even so, I'm confident there's more than $1500 here.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
What a great ad. It will drive the hipsters crazy trying to get a Stella Artois. Maybe they will stop drinking so much PBA.

The local Coors distributer did a bartender training class for us once that showed how to pour a glass of Coors to get the head we wanted and they gave stats on how much money was saved in product for different sided heads. You can guess how much head our bar owner wanted. They also showed us a lot about keeping glasses and beer lines clean and that was very worthwhile. I sometimes remember how nasty the taps and lines can get and it puts me off my beer ... for a few seconds.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 AM

Does beer really go "stale" without a proper head, in the 20 minutes or so it takes to drink it?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
Does beer really go "stale" without a proper head, in the 20 minutes or so it takes to drink it?
Twenty minutes?

I like some head on my beer because I'm drinking really good beer and the aroma is part of the experience. I find aroma more pleasant when head is present. YMMV. And, again, 20 minutes???
Old 01-28-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerunknown View Post
I'm not actually particularly enthused by beer, but I do know that Nigerian Guinness is pretty good (stronger than Irish Guinness).
Known as Guinness Foreign Extra. It's been available in the US off and on since the early 19th century.

Ireland taxes the beer by alcohol content, so you can see how that would affect the ABV. There are some that argue the Foreign Extra might be closer to the original Guinness for that reason.

I like the Smithwick's just fine myself. The only time I was in Ireland, I found myself asking for it almost exclusively over the Guinness. Too bad it's also owned by Diageo, but you takes what you can gets.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:58 AM

It's true that drinking through a layer of foam does indeed affect the taste of the beer. It makes it a bit smoother, IMO. But to be honest, not by a whole hell of a lot.

A half-inch or so is perfect in my opinion, but I'm not about to go ballistic if it's a little more or less. My main concern is not getting a glass that's half head, which means I'm not getting my money's worth. Sounds like that's what the OP is getting at too, and I don't think that makes him a pretentious douche by any stretch.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
To elaborate on my OP, I'm really only complaining about bartenders who are ignorant of the requisite two stage process required to properly pour a pint of Guinness and yes, this makes all the difference in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
Yes it does make a difference in taste and in getting the correct head which is a part of the edxperience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJain View Post
Not a Guinness drinker but I too would be interested to see if that special pour would fly in a blind taste test. I gots to say, I'm skeptical.
Heck, I'd be interested to see if anyone can actually articulate what the difference is, rather than just vaguely saying "this makes all the difference".
Old 01-28-2013, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
Heck, I'd be interested to see if anyone can actually articulate what the difference is, rather than just vaguely saying "this makes all the difference".

You’ll agree that paying for a beer that is 50% head and only 50% beer is a problem, no?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:40 AM

The people he quoted were not talking about getting a 50/50 beer.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
You’ll agree that paying for a beer that is 50% head and only 50% beer is a problem, no?
Paying for a beer and getting grape Kool-Aid would be a problem as well, but neither has anything to do with the claim that it somehow tastes different if the ritual isn't followed.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
I don't mean to speak for everybody else, but I'll give you my take on it.

Not enough or no head gives Guinness a bit of a bitter edge, which I don't care for. It's subtle, but it's real. I've done some experimentation with this, and I believe I could pick out the difference blindfolded if I had to. But, as I said in my previous post, it's not a big enough deal to make much of a fuss over. "All the difference" is probably hyperbolic.

On the other side of the coin, too much head means you're getting ripped off, simple as that.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 AM

The proper way is to order a bottle of Old Rasputin, pour it yourself, and marvel at 50x the stout flavor in a single bottle.

Guinness is alright. It's craft beer 101, which is invaluable in converting newbie beer drinkers away from yellow fizzy lite beer and opening up their eyes a bit.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I've had more than my fair share of Guinness, both regular (US, UK, Italy) and "extra cold" (in the UK), and honestly, I'd rather them not dick around with producing too much head, on the theory that the head takes up space in the glass that could better be used for liquid beer.

It just doesn't make much of a difference really... having had many a pint done right, and many a pint without much head.
You don't like head?

I know now how much stock I should place in your opinion.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Is Coors Light best served in a plastic glass or a paper cup?
Either way, it still can be confused with a urine test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterj2 View Post
Shit, it's a good thing you decided to post in this thread. Here I was, liking beer until you set me straight. It's a good thing you didn't skip this just because it concerns something you have no interest in. I would have kept enjoying beer, oblivious to the fact that you hate it, for who knows how long. That could've gotten embarrassing. Thanks.
Don't worry, I'll share a brew with you anytime and get your ass all crooked again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAdian View Post
Happy to be of service.

Besides, it was easier than opening a whole new thread to pit that disgusting, foul, unfit-for-human-consumption swill known as beer (the potable equivalent of Brussels sprouts).
Now you're just being a lazy dick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Well, if it's Coors or Budweiser, it's already there, just canned.
Recycling is good for the environment, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Amateurs.
Sez the man who gives away a bottle at a Dopefest or two.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Is Coors Light best served in a plastic glass or a paper cup?
It too has it's own special glass.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamicat View Post
A "Black n Tan" is my favorite beverage...hardly anyone will carry Guinness on tap...they really need to stop charging 5+ bucks for it too.

It's just a fucking beer like any other fucking beer, not a glass of filet mignon.
Ha!!! Most bars, and any bar with Irish pretensions is going to have Guinness on tap in Manhattan. But $5?? Heck more like $7 to $10.

I was shocked when in Louisville a number of years ago when an Irish themed bar didn't have Guinness. Their license should have been pulled.

I avoid using the term "Black and Tan" because it offends some people. Half and half gets the message across. It's not like I'm lightening up coffee.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
To elaborate on my OP, I'm really only complaining about bartenders who are ignorant of the requisite two stage process required to properly pour a pint of Guinness and yes, this makes all the difference in the world.

As far as how long to wait between the two stages, I've never seen the bartender actually time the process. A quick glance to make sure the initial 3/4 pour has settled before topping it off is good enough for me.
So far as I can tell, the two-stage pour is a mostly myth. I've tried one-stage and two-stage pours side by side, and I can't tell any difference. I actually prefer bars that don't do this stupid little ritual. Get me my beer ASAP.

The two-stage pour seems to come from back in the days when Guinness was poured from two different drafts. Three-quarters or so of the beer came from the fresh keg. One quarter or less from an older, slightly soured one.

My original citation doesn't seem to exist anymore, but I mentioned it in this thread.

Quote:
In the recently reviewed book [Beer and Cider in Ireland, the Complete Guide], it states that it was introduced at the switch from the 2-keg pour to the nitro, as the customer was used to having it poured in 2 parts, one from the fresh keg, and one from the aged keg, so to introduce some consistency it was used, so the customer still realised s/he was getting guinness or something like that.

[...]

Actually, what you mean is that the two-stage pour was always there as it used to be poured from two different casks. When the change was made to a single keg the two-part pour was maintained (or ritualised), not introduced, even though it was not strictly required. So you could say that it was a marketting decision to make customers think they were getting something that same as they used to, regardless of whether it was nitro. I can't recall (and the book is out of reach), but was nitro introduced at the same time as a single keg? Overall, if it was any other gas they'd probably still have maintained the two-part, and regardless of the gas used, I don't believe it would affect taste as it all comes from one container.

[...]

Oh, I dunno. If there's a bit of a ritual around something it can make some people feel they're getting something a little special. How many times have we heard people complaining about a barman "abroad" who didn't do a two part pour, so obviously didn't know how to pour Guinness? We all buy into these things subconsciously. There's no harm overall, and if it's something that marks out a product from others, then to that company it's worth it. It has become tradition esentially, even if it makes no difference to the taste or appearance of the product.

[...]
Results from my little experiment in. I wanted to do a blind test but there was no good way to do that by myself. Tasted the one pour first- wasn't a nice Guinness, you now the way the roasted flavours sometimes seem muted and the beer lacks its gentle bitterness, was confident that the two part would win but... it tasted exactly the same.
We must sell some pretty bad Guinness. I voted yes in this poll maybe have to reconsider.
And, as I mention in that thread, that is being written by Irish aficionados of beer, not some Americans or other foreigners who might not be as clued-in to the subtleties.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
So far as I can tell, the two-stage pour is a mostly myth. I've tried one-stage and two-stage pours side by side, and I can't tell any difference. I actually prefer bars that don't do this stupid little ritual. Get me my beer ASAP.
How is your beer coming any faster with a single pour? You mean you want all the foam?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Even if the nice head is purely an aesthetic thing, it still matters. Guinness is a premium product, often commanding a premium price, and a part of that is that it should look right. We eat (and drink) first with our eyes.

Bars that don't want to take the few extra seconds it takes to do the two-stage pour should just not serve Guinness. There are plenty of good beers they can serve.

Of course, I'm the kind of guy prone to rant about bars that shake Manhattans, so I'm not the one to ask.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sense View Post
How is your beer coming any faster with a single pour? You mean you want all the foam?
Um...if you pour a pint properly, with the glass tilted against the tap, there is no huge head of foam. You pour in one go, get about an inch of head, and drink. There's plenty of places I've been to that do a single-stage pour, and it never results in a pint full of foam.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorJ View Post

Bars that don't want to take the few extra seconds it takes to do the two-stage pour should just not serve Guinness. There are plenty of good beers they can serve.
It's not a few extra seconds. It's like an extra minute or more. And it looks indistinguishable from a one-stage pour done right. In my opinion, it's an annoying affectation. Try a two-stage and one-stage pour side-by-side and report back. When I did it, there was no difference whatsoever that I could ascertain. Nor could the Irish beer enthusiasts in the thread I linked to. Maybe someone on this earth can tell the difference, but I'm guessing it's more ritual and mystique than any actual taste difference.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You pour in one go, get about an inch of head, and drink.
That should be more like 1/2 inch of head.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Um...if you pour a pint properly, with the glass tilted against the tap, there is no huge head of foam. You pour in one go, get about an inch of head, and drink. There's plenty of places I've been to that do a single-stage pour, and it never results in a pint full of foam.
Now I'm wondering if there is an issue with our Guinness tap too. Ours fills the glass nearly half full of foam when you pour the whole glass. Tilting the glass doesn't make all that much of a difference. I can set the glass down six inches from the tap and just pour it and get just over half a glass of foam. I've never worked with Guinness before and prefer to drink a nice mild Pilsner that I don't have to choke down so I don't have anything to compare it to. Maybe it works differently elsewhere but on our tap there is no single pour that settles into a decent looking product.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 PM
BANNED

Pour Guinness?! Chug it straight from the tap like a real man, ya wimps!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Now I'm wondering if there is an issue with our Guinness tap too. Ours fills the glass nearly half full of foam when you pour the whole glass. Tilting the glass doesn't make all that much of a difference. I can set the glass down six inches from the tap and just pour it and get just over half a glass of foam. I've never worked with Guinness before and prefer to drink a nice mild Pilsner that I don't have to choke down so I don't have anything to compare it to. Maybe it works differently elsewhere but on our tap there is no single pour that settles into a decent looking product.
Yes, this has been my experience with Guinness on tap too, mucho foam. Maybe if they install a special tap just for Guinness?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You'll get a bit of the typical cascading effect from the nitro pour, but it settles pretty quickly and doesn't require a two-stage pour any more than any other nitro taps need to be poured in two stages. Guinness is the only one I've ever seen poured in two stages.

Actually, these three photos show the cascading process from a single pour. The top photo has about 1/2 inch of head and then the cascading middle section, which dissipates into the final photo within a minute, maybe 30 seconds.

Look at Guinness's own advertisement. They do a two stage pour, pouring the first about 90% of the way to the top, letting the foam settle a bit, and then topping off the remaining 10%. There's no reason you can't pour it 100% and get the same effect.

Last edited by pulykamell; 01-29-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Yes, this has been my experience with Guinness on tap too, mucho foam. Maybe if they install a special tap just for Guinness?
Nitro taps are different. They're longer, thinner, and have a little thing called a "restrictor plate" on the end, which is a little metal disk with a few holes the beer gets pushed through.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:13 PM

Bartenders have better things to do than stare at a cup for two minutes.

Also, Guinness isn't the be all and end all of beers. It is an intro drink for "Good Beer 101" and not the final exam. Unfortunately, people often think that saying they like it means they like good beer. This is not the case.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero From Sector 7G View Post

Also, Guinness isn't the be all and end all of beers. It is an intro drink for "Good Beer 101" and not the final exam. Unfortunately, people often think that saying they like it means they like good beer. This is not the case.
I Owe U 1 beer.

Hear, hear.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:

I've already made my feelings about Guinness known earlier in the thread but it seems in a place where pints of Guinness are very popular, like your average busy Dublin pub, they tend to have a system so there are always a few pints on the go. They might have 5 or 10 already done in stage one and as each customer comes along they just top one up. It's all bullshit but I don't think it's much of a timesink for them. You can't have 90% poured pints of lager lying around for your customers.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
How do you feel about Newcastle Brown Ale?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
How do you feel about Newcastle Brown Ale?
I think this will answer your question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnuQBYAZocM
Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I thank God for Guinness. It's a solid beer that you can drink all night long without getting drunk (well, at least I can, it weighing in at 4.2% alcohol.) Despite people calling it a heavy beer, I find it quite light and satisfying. And another reason I thank god for it is that it is very widely distributed and you can often find it in pubs around here that have little more than BudMillCoors on tap. As much as I like "big" beers and Belgians and the such, Guinness is a good everyday session beer. You're right, though--it's an intro-to-good-beer brew. But after going through thousands of beers from at least a hundred different breweries, I find myself coming back to Guinness again and again. Not my favorite beer, but a a good one to choose when settling in for a long night of drinking.

(Not a fan of Newcastle Brown Ale, though, but I'm just not a fan of brown ales in general.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 01-29-2013 at 10:01 PM.