Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Slade is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 383

Daily Show: Herman Cain's extended interview


The Daily Show's site won't let us UK viewers access its exclusive clips. So what was all the fuss about Herman Cain's extended web-only interview? What did he say that was so remarkable?
  #2  
Old 08-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 58,870
Cain and Stewart disagreed on a Romney claim that Obama was "gutting" requirements for welfare-to-work programs, i.e. making employment of some kind a requirement before receiving public assistance. Cain's contention, with nonspecific references to "examples I have seen", was that Obama was going to allow the states receiving federal funding for such programs to lessen requirements, i.e. make it easier for people to get and stay on welfare, while Stewart countered that Obama's proposal was to allow the states some flexibility in modifying the programs to customize them for individual needs. At one point, somebody handed Stewart a smartphone with a quite from factcheck.org that backed him up, saying Romney's claim was at the "pants on fire" level of accuracy. Cain loudly announced "I'm sorry", but he was still spinning it at the interview's end, despite Stewart's comical victory dance.


Why anything Herman Cain has to say on any subject is still considered significant by anyone at this point eludes me.
  #3  
Old 08-30-2012, 06:05 PM
voltaire's Avatar
voltaire is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 6,188
^^^That was the main attraction, but there was also:

Cain: The reason there was a poll showing that 0% of Black voters would vote for Romney was because the Black people they called up to poll have jobs and run businesses, so they were too busy to take polls.
  #4  
Old 08-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Marley23 is offline
I Am the One Who Bans
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 78,234
I thought all of that was in the regular interview, but I watched the episode online and wasn't paying attention to whether they played the whole thing or the shortened broadcast version.
  #5  
Old 08-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 28,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
Cain: The reason there was a poll showing that 0% of Black voters would vote for Romney was because the Black people they called up to poll have jobs and run businesses, so they were too busy to take polls.
This bit was in the regular, aired version of the interview. I assume that the debate about welfare-to-work programs was only on the extended interview, but I haven't seen it yet,

And by the way, originally, The Daily Show only had an extended interview in a very few extraordinary cases, but now it seems they do it every time.
  #6  
Old 08-30-2012, 06:27 PM
DataX is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,925
The stuff about black people was in the main interview, but I don't think I saw the thing with a smart phone and factcheck.org.

I can't help but like the guy - he made the Republican race so entertaining.

He doesnt seem to take things too seriously - if you haven't seen how he would address the nation upon alien invasion...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CQv5...e_gdata_player

I miss that guy.
  #7  
Old 08-30-2012, 06:34 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 58,870
Well, no argument there - Cain is definitely entertaining.
  #8  
Old 08-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Mosier is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vegas
Posts: 7,609
Ooh becky becky becky beckystan!
  #9  
Old 08-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Voyager's Avatar
Voyager is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 45,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
I thought all of that was in the regular interview, but I watched the episode online and wasn't paying attention to whether they played the whole thing or the shortened broadcast version.
It was. The regular interview ended about the time Stewart said something like "Now the reason Republicans have 0% of the black vote is clear." (He said it better, of course.)
  #10  
Old 08-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Max the Immortal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 4,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
^^^That was the main attraction, but there was also:

Cain: The reason there was a poll showing that 0% of Black voters would vote for Romney was because the Black people they called up to poll have jobs and run businesses, so they were too busy to take polls.
After he said that, you could see the surprise on Jon's face. He clearly didn't have a canned quip ready for that.
  #11  
Old 08-31-2012, 03:09 AM
Slade is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 383
Thanks. I agree Cain is a buffoon, which is why I didn't want to miss an additional opportunity to see him make a fool of himself. The initial "0%" comment was included in the broadcast interview as shown here, but none of the cellphone stuff that followed.

When Channel 4 was showing The Daily Show in the UK, the show's website worked fine over here. Now that Comedy Central's taken it back, we're blocked from seeing the web-only additions. That's no great tragedy most of the time, but once in a while it is frustrating. I wouldn't have missed the full version of Stewart's interview with Mad Money's Jim Cramer for worlds, for example.

Comedy Central has gone to the trouble of launching a dedicated UK website for The Daily Show, but still not tackled this issue. Perhaps the channel would like to put that right?
  #12  
Old 08-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Malleus, Incus, Stapes! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle ear
Posts: 6,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
^^^That was the main attraction, but there was also:

Cain: The reason there was a poll showing that 0% of Black voters would vote for Romney was because the Black people they called up to poll have jobs and run businesses, so they were too busy to take polls.
It's the flipside of that racist urban legend about how white people survived a fire because they were out working.
  #13  
Old 08-31-2012, 09:26 PM
njtt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: U.K.
Posts: 12,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post

When Channel 4 was showing The Daily Show in the UK, the show's website worked fine over here. Now that Comedy Central's taken it back, we're blocked from seeing the web-only additions.
There is (or was) a workaround in Firefox that enabled UK web users to view the U.S. only stuff on the The Daily Show site. (I think it worked for the Colbert Report too, and perhaps other Comedy Central stuff.) It involved using the Firefox "Modify Headers" extension. I am afraid I no longer remember all the details, but it might be worth Googling for it. It was not very hard to set up. (Of course, they may have closed the loophole now.)
  #14  
Old 09-01-2012, 05:42 PM
DeptfordX is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 764
My name is Deptfordx, i live in the UK and i can neither confirm of deny that the above is possible and a simple google search with the obvious search string will find it, probably as the first hit.
  #15  
Old 09-02-2012, 06:12 AM
CoolHandCox is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Cain and Stewart disagreed on a Romney claim that Obama was "gutting" requirements for welfare-to-work programs, i.e. making employment of some kind a requirement before receiving public assistance. Cain's contention, with nonspecific references to "examples I have seen", was that Obama was going to allow the states receiving federal funding for such programs to lessen requirements, i.e. make it easier for people to get and stay on welfare, while Stewart countered that Obama's proposal was to allow the states some flexibility in modifying the programs to customize them for individual needs. At one point, somebody handed Stewart a smartphone with a quite from factcheck.org that backed him up, saying Romney's claim was at the "pants on fire" level of accuracy. Cain loudly announced "I'm sorry", but he was still spinning it at the interview's end, despite Stewart's comical victory dance.


Why anything Herman Cain has to say on any subject is still considered significant by anyone at this point eludes me.
Did the factcheck actually backup Stewart. I thought Cain caved too early. It seemed as if the site allowed "flexibility" which doesn't negate lowering standards. Did they give the site or is there a link to it?
  #16  
Old 09-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 41,798
The guy is hilarious. He's like a living, breathing Loony Tunes character. I fully expect him to suddenly develop cracks all over his body and collapse in a pile of shards.
  #17  
Old 09-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Esox Lucius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Why anything Herman Cain has to say on any subject is still considered significant by anyone at this point eludes me.
Ditto. Cain is Donald Trump with more melanin and less ferret pelt on his head. Inside their skulls is the same unprincipled dreck that thinks its okay to use the American political system for shameless self-promotion. Excusing that for their comedic value is a mark against Stewart.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017