Old 03-22-2020, 08:26 PM

Stupidities you've witnessed (people oblivious to the virus)

In Whole Foods a man in line dropped his box of cookies and they all spilled out onto the floor.
At first I felt bad for him. But then he picked up each cookie, put it back in the box...and put the box back on the
shelf. I told the cashier not to sell that box. But what's next...a vacuum seal on every food package?
Old 03-22-2020, 08:30 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

The last day my gym was open, there were still people who weren't wiping down equipment when they were through.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:56 PM

About a week ago, I was at a social event with some people I work with. I was trying to keep reasonable distance, as were several other people, and a few people were mockiong this, giving each other big hugs and grabbing people to give them kisses. I left as soon as I could.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtosite View Post
In Whole Foods a man in line dropped his box of cookies and they all spilled out onto the floor.
At first I felt bad for him. But then he picked up each cookie, put it back in the box...and put the box back on the
shelf. I told the cashier not to sell that box. But what's next...a vacuum seal on every food package?
Huh? You have packaging where consumers can access the product without breaking the seal? And this is normal / legal?

Aside from the bulk foods aisle, I can't think of a single supermarket package where I can touch food without breaking a seal on the box
Old 03-23-2020, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

There are so many. The spring breakers. The news today showed idiots in the San Francisco parks basically saying that they are immune so they don't need to follow the guidelines. (The governor said, grow up already.)

As for companies, Charter Communications, the cable company, does not want people to work from home, and claim to be essential. Parts are, but some parts aren't. They have had people testing positive in some of their buildings - their response is to clean and forbid any self isolation.
Smaller tech press is covering this story, the mainstream press has it and I hope will run it soon.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:03 AM

Woman on Facebook who said she and her family are self-isolating: they're only having patio parties with a few neighbors.

Countless people who say they're self-isolating but are having their kids' friends over because "they're not contagious" or "they don't get the virus."
Old 03-23-2020, 01:04 AM

I mentioned this in another thread, but someone on 14-day quarantine decided they were bored and went out clubbing. They were caught and face a US$33,0000 fine.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengangmo View Post
Huh? You have packaging where consumers can access the product without breaking the seal? And this is normal / legal?

Aside from the bulk foods aisle, I can't think of a single supermarket package where I can touch food without breaking a seal on the box
Well, the box popped open when it hit the floor.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

People from Portland flooding the coastal towns, buying up hard-to-find items to take back to the city. Also gathering on the beaches. I-84, which travels through the Columbia River Gorge, has been as busy as any summer weekend, with people going to parks, jamming up parking areas, etc. The governor has finally closed all parks and northern coastal areas, but it's too late, of course.

Some ass clown stole about 8,000 N-95 masks and then tried to sell them on Craigslist. He was arrested.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:06 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Went to pick up a Wal Mart order for a friend who's isolating (diabetic heart patient) last week. I was showing the pickup counter person the barcode on my phone and she grabbed my phone with her un-gloved hand. Stupid on her for doing so and stupid on me for letting her.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:09 PM

"It's a hoax! Go ahead: cough in my mouth!" (opens mouth wide and faces co-worker)
Old 03-23-2020, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

My Senator voted against the Relief Bill.
She's GOP.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:23 PM

Well, yesterday morning I saw a sign in my neighborhood for a garage sale.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Well, yesterday morning I saw a sign in my neighborhood for a garage sale.
The best thing to buy at a garage sale is a wooden bed complete with mattress. That way, you can get COVID-19 and bedbugs with just one single purchase!

As for other stupidities, I cited this CNN article in another thread.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:26 PM

Was at the local big box hardware store yesterday morning. My wife saw a family friend who was wearing medical gloves while pushing her cart along with a container of sanitizing wipes in the little basket. She called my wife over and was so proud! There were 4 boxes (big boxes, wouldn't fit inside her cart) of toilet paper left on the pallet and she got one! My wife said we have plenty for the time being (maybe 2 full normal packages and a partial) and thanks for letting us know in case we needed some. While my wife was talking to her seen a co-worker and joked that if he needed some TP there was a few on that pallet around the corner. His eyes lit up and went over and got a case, the ones left now had damage to the outside of the boxes. I didn't think he was seriously going to get more as he said a few days before at work he had already bought a bunch.

As I was waiting I read the packaging on the box. Some brand that I never heard before and said it was for industrial/commercial/institutional use. My first thought was the store was selling its own supply for their own restrooms. My second thought is that quality of this stuff is going to be 1 step above wax paper for wiping your ass.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a6ka97 View Post
Was at the local big box hardware store yesterday morning. My wife saw a family friend who was wearing medical gloves while pushing her cart along with a container of sanitizing wipes in the little basket. She called my wife over and was so proud! There were 4 boxes (big boxes, wouldn't fit inside her cart) of toilet paper left on the pallet and she got one! My wife said we have plenty for the time being (maybe 2 full normal packages and a partial) and thanks for letting us know in case we needed some. While my wife was talking to her seen a co-worker and joked that if he needed some TP there was a few on that pallet around the corner. His eyes lit up and went over and got a case, the ones left now had damage to the outside of the boxes. I didn't think he was seriously going to get more as he said a few days before at work he had already bought a bunch.

As I was waiting I read the packaging on the box. Some brand that I never heard before and said it was for industrial/commercial/institutional use. My first thought was the store was selling its own supply for their own restrooms. My second thought is that quality of this stuff is going to be 1 step above wax paper for wiping your ass.
Tip: if the TP has a picture of John Wayne on the package, avoid it at all costs.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:58 PM

Some knucklehead stole 29 coronavirus test kits.

https://www.whio.com/news/national/a...8SltHNfAuIoZK/
Old 03-23-2020, 04:35 PM

I was at the pharmacy the other day. I went it at 9pm and was the only customer in the store. As I approached the counter, I could see the only cashier on duty was wearing gloves and a mask. So far, maybe a little over cautious, but no objection. Then I saw here pull here mask aside and try and open a package of something with her teeth. She moved it around a few times with her gloved hands and then gave up when she saw me. She put her mask back and started checking me out with the same gloves.

I used sanitizer in the car and washed my hands thoroughly as soon as I got home. I have tried to only use self checkout as much as possible since (I sanitize before and after using).
Old 03-23-2020, 04:37 PM

And of courser you can't beat this NBA player.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:09 PM

I was driving in rural Virginia and witnessed a large group of people, maybe 25, getting together for a group photo. Later, you can X out the one who are dead.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:14 PM
Charter Jays Fan

I don't know how you top the scenes of people lined up at GameStop to buy "Animal Crossing," a game you can purchase online.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:24 PM

The hospital I was in had anyone visiting a thorough look over, temp check and wash. But they let the volunteer ladies come through bringing homemade cookies and cupcakes on St.Pats day. Nope. Not me.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I don't know how you top the scenes of people lined up at GameStop to buy "Animal Crossing," a game you can purchase online.
Game Stop originally declared itself "essential retail" and told all of their stores to stay open. They've now changed their mind after a deluge of negative pr and have closed their stores.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:28 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Game Stop originally declared itself "essential retail" and told all of their stores to stay open. They've now changed their mind after a deluge of negative pr and have closed their stores.
Ontario announced a 15-day forced closure of all nonessential business starting tomorrow.

I'm like 75% sure it was the GameStop thing that forced their hand. I'm mildly surprised they didn't call it the GameStop Law and single them out by name. "We're keeping this mostly voluntary. But not GameStop. Fuck them. They're closed for ten years."
Old 03-24-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Ontario announced a 15-day forced closure of all nonessential business starting tomorrow.

I'm like 75% sure it was the GameStop thing that forced their hand. I'm mildly surprised they didn't call it the GameStop Law and single them out by name. "We're keeping this mostly voluntary. But not GameStop. Fuck them. They're closed for ten years."
Conversely, the Hudson's Bay department store chain was one of the first retailers to voluntarily close, so credit to them for their foresight.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:09 AM

I have five dogs so I absolutely had to get out yesterday to get dog food. The first thing I saw when I walked in the door of the feed store was a twenty something couple... They were letting their toddler run around all over the store barefoot. He was grabbing and touching everything he saw, as toddlers do. The couple apparently had zero concern...
Old 03-23-2020, 07:54 PM

I was walking down a busy side-street when a 20-ish man drove by wearing a mask. He was alone so I thought the mask was a bit much. Then I noticed that he was steering while staring down at his phone; his thumb was moving over his phone so I can only assume he was texting. That was an idiot.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:54 PM

My neighbors had a loud party yesterday. Started early, around lunch time, and went until after midnight. It sounded like quite a crowd. Today they're having solar installed. I don't think they get this social distancing thing at all.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:05 AM

Today while working I noticed two gentlemen shake hands and then moments later one of them scratched between his nostrils. Whelp, he may of just become a statistic right at that exact moment.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:13 AM

Are these stupid?: 1) my house cleaner called me and told me her babysitter is sick, so would I be okay her friend to clean my house today? I said sure.

2) working from home makes it a good time to get few things repaired on my car. I plan on dropping the car to my mechanic as well as an auto body shop.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

A few weeks back, just when it had become apparent that we had to be careful, a friend and I were waiting at the counter for our burritos. We were idly chatting about something while we stood there and then I suddenly realised that we were helping ourselves to the corn chips and dips that are always on the counter.

"Probably the least sensible thing we could imagine eating under the current circumstances," I muttered through my last mouthful. Wouldn't happen to either of us today but I was surprised that we were both able to mindlessly do it then.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
Are these stupid?: 1) my house cleaner called me and told me her babysitter is sick, so would I be okay her friend to clean my house today? I said sure.
I don't know. I'd do as others are doing now and tell her to skip the house visit. But pay her for her time, anyway.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:37 AM

Two accounts published on the same day by a reputable news source:

Massive cyberattack on hospital computers in an attempt to demand a ransom.

Authorities found 600,000 surgical masks in a warehouse of one of the companies of an entrepreneur with a shady past and present.

Enterprising spirit my ass. This is one of the very few times I feel there is a real need to protect us from ourselves.

Last edited by jerez; 03-24-2020 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:39 AM

I mention this in the senior shopping hour thread:

As I was leaving there was a decent sized group of people, ~15, waiting to get in after the senior hour. They crowded together around the only door. I had just enough room to get by them.

Hey, idjits! You can stand 20 feet away and well away from the others, okay? Have you been paying attention at all????
Old 03-24-2020, 11:30 AM

On Saturday, I went for a ride on the local bike trail. I had been hearing that it was OK to get out and exercise and use the parks facilities, as long as you maintain your social distance.

I have never seen the trail so crowded. I guess everybody else in the bay area had the same idea. There was one family group of about 6 people, Momma (pregnant) Poppa, a couple of kids and grand-parents all wandering down the trail, spread out, not 6 feet apart, but just enough that I couldn't easily pass through them on the trail. They gave me a really dirty look when I asked them not to block the trail.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
There was one family group of about 6 people, Momma (pregnant) Poppa, a couple of kids and grand-parents all wandering down the trail, spread out, not 6 feet apart, but just enough that I couldn't easily pass through them on the trail. They gave me a really dirty look when I asked them not to block the trail.
Have the rules on social distancing been changed when it comes to people living in the same household? I thought (perhaps wrongly) that if you lived in the same unit, you didn't need to maintain the 6' rule.

Of course that doesn't mitigate the rudeness of people blocking the trail so that others can't maintain 6' distance from them. OTOH, my local hiking trail isn't anywhere near 6' wide. Neither of course are the sidewalks.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
Woman on Facebook who said she and her family are self-isolating: they're only having patio parties with a few neighbors.

Countless people who say they're self-isolating but are having their kids' friends over because "they're not contagious" or "they don't get the virus."
Well, we have decided to co-isolate with the couple across the hall. They have a dog my dog likes, and who seems to be half in love with my dog, so we take them to the dog park together (the park in our apartment complex). It lets us exercise or dogs while staying closer to home, and getting them some dog-to-dog socialization.

They join us for board games and TV binges. But we maintain distances, do lots of handwashing, have no physical contact, and they have designated chairs in our place, that we nonetheless spray down with Lysol after they leave.

We do share homemade food, with them, though, and it happens that they are vegetarians also.

We are the only two apartments on our level, and we all took our temps and shared the results before our first "get-together." He is working from home 100%, and she is essential home care for disabled people, but any contact with them is done wearing exam gloves. I trust her; she's smart and mature.

We have our own washer and dryer, and let them use them, so they don't have to use the ones for the whole building. We do run a hot-with-bleach before we do our own laundry, after they have done theirs.

It's a relief to have two more adults in our circle; they are like, 20 years younger than us, but for 4 for a game of Clue, who cares?

For our son, we have removed all previous limits on social media, Skyping, etc. We want him to maintain his friendships as best he can. It's actually proving good that his generation thinks nothing of having a pretty much social media relationship. Who'd've predicted?

As far as our son goes, he can call on them when he is alone, due to being out of school, and us having to work. Nothing has come up so far, but it's nice having back-up.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
For our son, we have removed all previous limits on social media, Skyping, etc. We want him to maintain his friendships as best he can. It's actually proving good that his generation thinks nothing of having a pretty much social media relationship. Who'd've predicted?
That's one thing I'm amazed and thankful for about living in our time. During the flu pandemic of 1919, there was no TV or radio. No binge watching of shows. No internet or social media. Long distance calls were difficult and costly to place. Today we have limitless ways of staying entertained at home. We can instantly communicate with friends and family across the world and have constant access to news instead of reading a newspaper once or twice a day. No one needs to feel isolated anymore.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:24 PM

Terminal stupidity: No doubt you've all seen the story about the Arizona couple that took chloroquine phosphate (the medicine for aquarium fish formula) because Trump and/or Fox suggested it. Both got severely ill within 20 minutes. Man died at hospital; wife is in ICU.

Half Man Half Wit has a thread on it already.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:57 PM

People at my store pawing though identical boxes to find just the right one; picking things up to get a close look then putting them down again; just touching things unnecessarily.

A guy wearing a mask. Not on his face, mind you, hanging around his neck.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:03 PM

It seems Liberty University is going to re-open for business after spring break.

This should be interesting.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:24 PM

Pastor again defies state order not to hold large gatherings. He says 1,000 people came to his church Sunday. But it's fine, because
Quote:
[t]he pastor told CNN that people been cured of HIV-AIDS and cancer at his worship services, which feature faith-healing, speaking in tongues and other spiritual hallmarks of Pentecostalism.

Asked what he would do if a member of his congregation contracted coronavirus, Spell shifted the blame.

"Did they contract it at Walmart or Target?" he asked. "They have more people in their parking lot than we get here in a week."
Old 03-24-2020, 10:49 PM

Not only is the pastor an asshole, so is everyone who attends the meetings.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:49 AM

This “corona virus” party really takes the cake. Also contains a vid of the pastor mentioned above.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/healt...ion/index.html

Last edited by skdo23; 03-25-2020 at 12:51 AM.
Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Just now I can hear the jingle of the ice cream truck outside my apartment. This is the second time I've heard it in as many weeks, granted it seems to be less often than a few weeks ago. And I didn't step outside to see if there was a group of kids congregating outside of it.
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Just now I can hear the jingle of the ice cream truck outside my apartment. This is the second time I've heard it in as many weeks, granted it seems to be less often than a few weeks ago. And I didn't step outside to see if there was a group of kids congregating outside of it.
Yeah, the one around here was doing the Turkey in the Straw thing non-stop the other day.

Oddly, I've never seen it, just hear it. We suspect it's really just a drug-dealing front.

Which makes me wonder: Are bookies allowed to break legs of bettors who don't pay up now? Is that an essential business?
Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Yeah, the one around here was doing the Turkey in the Straw thing non-stop the other day.

Oddly, I've never seen it, just hear it. We suspect it's really just a drug-dealing front.

Which makes me wonder: Are bookies allowed to break legs of bettors who don't pay up now? Is that an essential business?

That's passé. They come to your door and cough in your face.
Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

Saw these guys doing some sort of a donation drive coming home from the store today.

https://imgur.com/a/aCTnJyN
Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Saw these guys doing some sort of a donation drive coming home from the store today.

https://imgur.com/a/aCTnJyN
If you enlarge the photo, you can see it's a donation site for PPE (Personal Protection Equipment).
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
If you enlarge the photo, you can see it's a donation site for PPE (Personal Protection Equipment).
If one or two people were collecting I would understand. But there are too many people in that group and no one was wearing any type of mask. There was also a group of 4 police officers watching them from a distance.