Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2020, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Help me understand part-time groery store closures

Is there any formal or official explanation for why businesses such as grocery stores and bank lobbies are reducing their hours? Granted, having a grocery store stay open only half the usual time is -- purely hypothetically -- going to reduce the probability of passing the infection, but I just can't see how that justifies just part-time closures. I mean, if you want to significantly reduce infections, close entirely! Infected people are obviously just going to shop during the open hours, so no one's safety is enhanced.

Unless you figure only healthy people eat.

Not only that, but the 24-hour stores all around me that are now 8 hour operations or less have now thrown a huge proportion of their employees out of work unnecessarily, probably damaging them far more than the small chance of infection.

I gotta believe there's something wrong with my thinking since this is happening more and more. So does anyone know a truly valid and rational explanation?

Thanks

Last edited by ambushed; 03-21-2020 at 05:19 PM.