Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

"Whaddaya mean the Ukrainian server is in a cloud? Go get it and bring it here!"
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Puns are bad enough, but now you're riffing on cow noises? Low.
Can't prove it.
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM

I didn't hear Turley's statement, just the news summary recaps: but it sounds like his problem isn't whether or not the offense is impeachable, but whether or not the evidence is convincing that the crime actually occurred.

If so, I'd love to have a congressperson ask him to confirm that. "If a hypothetical president asked a foreign leader to assist in his election in exchange for something...would you consider that an impeachable offense?"
Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
I didn't hear Turley's statement, just the news summary recaps: but it sounds like his problem isn't whether or not the offense is impeachable, but whether or not the evidence is convincing that the crime actually occurred.

If so, I'd love to have a congressperson ask him to confirm that. "If a hypothetical president asked a foreign leader to assist in his election in exchange for something...would you consider that an impeachable offense?"
I've been listening off and on and in general his schtick is that he doesn't think that what Trump did is kosher, but he doesn't think it's a crime and he certainly doesn't think it's impeachable. The country is divided, see, and we're all angry, and this is moving way too fast, so we should just drop it and move on.

Under questioning, though, he seems to be willing to agree with whatever ridiculous nonsense the Republicans throw his way, so who knows.
Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I see what you did there.
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
The question is moot.
Quote:
That attempt at humor was a flop for both of you...
Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Today's Q&A with the constitutional scholars was a fascinating tutorial on the law of the land. Even the Republican shill had interesting things to say. The pubbies on the committee, of course, used their time to grandstand and sputter "but...but...Bidens!"
I think vast majority of Trump fans are not going to care about professors opinions. Except maybe the one who was not in favor of impeachment.
Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
You've milked this situation for all it's worth. Nothing to see here, please moove along...
Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running with Scissors View Post
You've milked this situation for all it's worth. Nothing to see here, please moove along...
Cud you all just knock it off?
Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM

This bovine hijack is udderly appalling!
Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Cud you all just knock it off?
Don't have a cow, man!
Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
"Whaddaya mean the Ukrainian server is in a cloud? Go get it and bring it here!"
"Get me the Air Force!"
Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM

I got a beef with all you heifers. Steer it back on topic before the mods prod you.
Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM

What kind of bull is this? I really gotta ox the question...
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
(Collins) seems to be a bit smarter than Jordan (a low bar), but his dignity and morals are about the same.
He finds it "interesting". He found many things "interesting". I was struck by his limited choice of words and phrasings but assume he must be intelligent to be where he is. So let me ask: do he and Jordan always sound like this - loud, angry, and proudly boorish? Or is it an act for their voters?

ETA: I am basing my observations on his opening statement. I haven't seen (yet) anything he might have said later.

Last edited by KarlGauss; Yesterday at 07:41 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Today's Q&A with the constitutional scholars was a fascinating tutorial on the law of the land. Even the Republican shill had interesting things to say. The pubbies on the committee, of course, used their time to grandstand and sputter "but...but...Bidens!"
I'll give Turley his due: he's one of the few Republican defenders who's actually thought out how to develop a cogent defense
Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
I got a beef with all you heifers. Steer it back on topic before the mods prod you.
Reported for Junior Mooing!
Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I'll give Turley his due: he's one of the few Republican defenders who's actually thought out how to develop a cogent defense
Turley's defense of Trump was 'you Dems cannot impeach because you haven't heard from the witnesses Trump won't allow to testify.'

"Cogent" is not the word I would use.
Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Turley's defense of Trump was 'you Dems cannot impeach because you haven't heard from the witnesses Trump won't allow to testify.'

"Cogent" is not the word I would use.
Except that the courts haven't ruled on whether they're compelled to testify. I'm not saying I subscribe to Turley's line of reasoning, but it at least dresses itself up like an argument that could be made.
Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Except that the courts haven't ruled on whether they're compelled to testify. I'm not saying I subscribe to Turley's line of reasoning, but it at least dresses itself up like an argument that could be made.
They shouldn’t have to rule. Trump himself has said that he would like for them to testify. Of course, he also said that he’d like to release his tax returns, talk to Mueller, and that Mexico would pay for the wall.
Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
What kind of bull is this? I really gotta ox the question...
It's quite the scandal in Jersey. Someone call Woodward and Holstein.
Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Why not use a real gotcha? Ask him "If President Obama had asked a foreign leader to provide him with information about a political opponent in an upcoming election, would you have considered that an impeachable offense?"

Because you know if you make the question about Obama, Trump will be dumb enough to say it's impeachable.
Old Today, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Why not use a real gotcha? Ask him "If President Obama had asked a foreign leader to provide him with information about a political opponent in an upcoming election, would you have considered that an impeachable offense?"

Because you know if you make the question about Obama, Trump will be dumb enough to say it's impeachable.
It wouldn’t help. They thought Obama was a foreign leader.
Old Today, 01:03 AM

Quote:
It's my understanding that the courts don't need to rule. The House has the sole power of impeachment. They are holding an impeachment inquiry. Why is Turley saying we have to wait on the courts to decide if these people are required to answer subpoenas from the House in regards to an impeachment inquiry? I just don't see the need for anyone to ratify their power. It is. It exists. There's not a question. They can debate whether or not they should answer specific questions, but they have to show up. That's just a plain fact. No court ruling needed.

I agree that Turley at least spoke rationally. More than I can say for the folks on the Right.

For example, did you know that in most of the states that elected the democratic Representatives, they also voted for Clinton in 2016? That dramatic point was made, with charts!, to prove that Democratic House members on the committee were elected by people who *gasp* didn't vote for Trump at all! It's like it's a conspiracy he uncovered!
Old Today, 03:03 AM

Kudos to Pamela Karlan for owning up to her remark about Barron. I've heard more awful things said in public discourse, but I'll still give a nod Pam's way.
And, she concluded, it would be nice for Trump to apologize for some of the things he's done that's wrong.
Karlan added that she'd also like a well-endowed, sabre-toothed unicorn with flame-throwing MagnaFlow Exhaust System, four-foot-high spoiler and six-pack abs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Boy I thought Jordan was a Donald Dick Sucker, but this guy Collins has him beat.
Those two - along with Devin Psycho Eyes Nunez - would make a more appropriate three-headed hydra in that drawing that made the rounds a couple weeks back, with the heads of Schumer, Pelosi and (I think) Ginsberg replacing those of some fantasy film characters from a film I can't remmeber, and can't find right now on the internet.

So on to Monday, and getting this goofy IG shit out of the way with.
Old Today, 09:35 AM

Dumb move by Karlan, for the sake of a bad pun, to invoke pearl-clutching faux outrage over the privacy of a minor. By Gad she even caused the First Lady to sit up and take notice.
Old Today, 09:39 AM

Some day there'll be a Catholic school named for Melania: Our Lady Of Perpetual Victimhood. Give me a fucking break- she said Donald could name is son Barron but could not make him a Baron. How will Barron ever recover? Boo fucking hoo.
Old Today, 09:41 AM

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/p...es-impeachment

Pelosi directs House Judiciary committee to draft articles of impeachment
Old Today, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Kudos to Pamela Karlan for owning up to her remark about Barron. I've heard more awful things said in public discourse, but I'll still give a nod Pam's way.
What was there for her to own to though? She didn't insult the kid, merely mentioned that he exists and confirmed the fact that he can't be given a title like he would be given in a monarchy.

Melania's outrage is disproportionate. Barron will be politicized whether she likes it or not and she's got Rush Limbaugh to thank for that. But thank you Melania, for telegraphing yet another one of your family's weaknesses. All this impeachment stuff is a risky gamble but frothing Trump into a heart attack would solve everything.

Apropos of nothing, Barron is 13 now? Wow, he sure is growing up fast. I hope he didn't get his definition of consent from his father.
Old Today, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
udderly charming
Old Today, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMarch View Post
What was there for her to own to though? She didn't insult the kid, merely mentioned that he exists and confirmed the fact that he can't be given a title like he would be given in a monarchy.

Melania's outrage is disproportionate.
Hell, I doubt Melania actually even wrote the tweet. It just reeks of political victimhood- nobody can look at what Karlan said and see it as a threat, and Trump "politicized" Barron when he took office.
Old Today, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
"When Congress decides that certain criminal conduct does not rise to the level of impeachable offenses, it is defining a permissible parameter for future presidential conduct."

Jonathan Turley, 1998, before his prefrontal cortex was wiped and reloaded
From here.
Old Today, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Some day there'll be a Catholic school named for Melania: Our Lady Of Perpetual Victimhood. Give me a fucking break- she said Donald could name is son Barron but could not make him a Baron. How will Barron ever recover? Boo fucking hoo.
This.

Josh Marshall:
Quote:
Perhaps better left unsaid but not remotely hostile or disrespectful. Be honest, Trumpism is a victim and grievance cult
Old Today, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMarch View Post
Apropos of nothing, Barron is 13 now? Wow, he sure is growing up fast. I hope he didn't get his definition of consent from his father.
Are bone spurs hereditary?
Old Today, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
If trump had asked the Ukrainians to divert a couple mill of that military aid into a certain numbered Swiss bank account, that would be undeniably impeachable conduct. This is worse because A.) Staying in the presidency does mean the continued ability to enrich himself at the public trough and may even be his only means of maintaining his liberty. B.) Undermining the free election process is a greater offense against the nation than simply lining one's own pockets.
Solid post.
Old Today, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Clinton operatives obviously picked Nunes pocket called Parnas, and then carefully replaced the phone to his pocket before he noticed it was gone, on each of those 4 separate occasions. Jeez, connect that dots sheeple!
wouldn't you know that some on fox news did claim that other people were using nunes phone during the "alleged" calls. apparently some are claiming that rudi used nunes phone to call parnes.

yep, things are going far down the naked mole rat hole.
Old Today, 03:34 PM

I sometimes wonder if Trump actually knows or accepts that he did anything wrong in regards to Ukraine.

Like a spoiled and enabled child is constantly assured by his parents that anything bad is not his fault, that everyone else is just jealous or mean, or the system is rigged, or that the teacher obviously hates him, Trump is constantly assured by his lackeys that he's omnipotent, bulletproof, and in the right and that the Democrats are jealous and mean, the system is rigged against him, and the press obviously hates him.

The original coverup came from White House lawyers locking down the transcript and the Justice Department burying the whistleblower complaint, as far as I understand it, not from the President trying to cover up what he did. He even released the transcript against all advice and said, "Ah ha! See? Nothing here!" as if he really believed it. The continuing obstruction boils down to Trump saying the democrats are mean and unfair and he doesn't have to play with them, with all of his (deeply implicated) advisors telling him that he's absolutely right. The press doesn't agree, but they obviously hate him and don't matter. His rallies are filled with cheering fans, they matter. Would the other Republicans be supporting him if he was wrong? Obviously not, he thinks! Therefore he's right!

The way he keeps harping on "read the transcript!" and seems genuinely unable to comprehend how anyone who does could still see anything wrong leads me to think he believes his own press. He was outraged that any Republicans could even go so far as to say it was bad, but not impeachable. I think he actually feels that since he didn't overtly say that there was a quid pro quo, that there wasn't. There was just diplomacy and deal-making.

He's still wrong, and guilty, and an idiot, but I'm starting to believe he's deluded enough to honestly not see it. That doesn't exonerate him, and certainly doesn't explain why the nominally rational adults in the room continue to enable this spoiled child.
Old Today, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulderMuffin View Post
I sometimes wonder if Trump actually knows or accepts that he did anything wrong in regards to Ukraine.

Like a spoiled and enabled child is constantly assured by his parents that anything bad is not his fault, that everyone else is just jealous or mean, or the system is rigged, or that the teacher obviously hates him, Trump is constantly assured by his lackeys that he's omnipotent, bulletproof, and in the right and that the Democrats are jealous and mean, the system is rigged against him, and the press obviously hates him.

The original coverup came from White House lawyers locking down the transcript and the Justice Department burying the whistleblower complaint, as far as I understand it, not from the President trying to cover up what he did. He even released the transcript against all advice and said, "Ah ha! See? Nothing here!" as if he really believed it. The continuing obstruction boils down to Trump saying the democrats are mean and unfair and he doesn't have to play with them, with all of his (deeply implicated) advisors telling him that he's absolutely right. The press doesn't agree, but they obviously hate him and don't matter. His rallies are filled with cheering fans, they matter. Would the other Republicans be supporting him if he was wrong? Obviously not, he thinks! Therefore he's right!

The way he keeps harping on "read the transcript!" and seems genuinely unable to comprehend how anyone who does could still see anything wrong leads me to think he believes his own press. He was outraged that any Republicans could even go so far as to say it was bad, but not impeachable. I think he actually feels that since he didn't overtly say that there was a quid pro quo, that there wasn't. There was just diplomacy and deal-making.

He's still wrong, and guilty, and an idiot, but I'm starting to believe he's deluded enough to honestly not see it. That doesn't exonerate him, and certainly doesn't explain why the nominally rational adults in the room continue to enable this spoiled child.
He is so used to throwing his 'weight' around like that in his business dealings - and never getting called on it - that he probably does not see it for what it is. Seperately - he is only concerned with his own 'wins' - that he cannot seperate what 'he' wants with what the country needs.