Old 03-05-2020, 02:19 PM

this is his new idea

https://www.movehumanityforward.com/
Old 03-10-2020, 08:40 PM

Yang just endorsed Biden. I would think many of his fans are not happy.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:48 PM

Though Yang was clear that he said he would support the nominee and the math makes it clear Biden will win. And if anyone knows math, it's Yang.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Yang just endorsed Biden. I would think many of his fans are not happy.
Paget Kagy, Yang Gang youtuber, did a poll a couple weeks ago on who the Yang Gang support. The result out of 1K people was literally 50/50.

From Zach Graumann, Yang's campaign manager and Humanity Forward leader:

Quote:
BREAKING: @AndrewYang makes his endorsement of @JoeBiden.

For the #YangGang who don’t love this, please know. There was no horse-trading, back-room dealings, or political calculations.

I just texted Yang the logic and he made the decision on air. We must unite the country.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:09 AM

Andrew Yang's tweet on his endorsement of Biden. He was live on-air when he made the decision to endorse, so there was no tweet at the time. He's endorsing Biden as President. The video clip of the endorsement with a fuller explanation is in the tweet.

Quote:
Since I started running, I always said I would support the Democratic nominee. The math is clear - @joebiden
will be the nominee and I am glad to endorse him for President. Joe knows how serious the fourth industrial revolution is. He and I have spoken about it at length.
Bill de Blasio, who is a Bernie endorser, agreed with at least a portion, if not all, of Yang's endorsement.

Quote:
@AndrewYang
makes a powerful point: the Democratic Party CANNOT just aspire to take us back to Nov 7, 2016 if we expect to win this election. “There are so many Americans who just don’t think our institutions are working for them AT ALL.” Word! BE the Party of CHANGE, or lose
Old 03-16-2020, 05:20 PM

Mitt Romney and others are saying every adult should get $1000 now to help the economy due to the virus.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:06 PM

If this virus hit last year UBI probably would have been a lot more popular and maybe Yang gets more votes.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:35 AM

Some Andrew Yang political updates.

Yang has been doing a lot since he suspended his campaign.

As noted previously in the thread, he created Humanity Forward. He was gong to use it to fund UBI trials, but as it turned out, it was helpful in giving people some money as aid for Covid. In the early days of lockdown and maybe even before, lots of people were getting laid off quickly without the CARES Act in place. People needed money to tide them over. Yang's organization was giving people $500-1000 to help out with the immediate need. They gave out over $1M when I last checked, which was a while ago.

Yang was consulted by the White House for his expertise in UBI before the stimulus package went out. Popular sentiment about UBI has risen since coronavirus and the stimulus payment.

Yang also sued the State of New York and won. They had taken him off the ballot, along with all the other Democratic nominees for President except for Biden, effectively cancelling the Primary in New York. Yang sued to get his name back on the ballot along with all the other nominees. I think the case is getting appealed to a higher level court. Part of his reasoning for suing was to help down-ballot candidates. Many of the people he's supporting in lower races support UBI.

He started a podcast called YangSpeaks. I haven't listened to any of them yet, but it looks like the guests have been Ken Jeong, Krystal Ball, Sam Harris and Ian Bremmer. Just heard a minute of a trailer with Ian Bremmer where Bremmer says that China wants Trump to win a second term because they see how messed up the relations are with the other countries that they have a better chance with Trump than with Biden.

I did see a conversation that Yang had with Pete Buttigieg. He also had a conversation with Biden.

Biden has a podcast called Here's the Deal. Biden and Yang talk about the 4th Industrial Revolution. I just listened to it. I liked Biden's interest and knowledge about Yang's ideas, for the most part. But Biden wants to return to better times. Yang wants to go forward to a better time. As Yang has said, if people wanted to go backwards, they would have voted for Hillary, not Trump. Many people don't want to go back. That said, Biden does consider the plight of small business and banking loans to them, the need for more vocational training and the idea that big ideas will be required to get the country past the coronavirus. In the interview, Yang says "Economists project that 42% of the jobs we are losing right now are gone for good. That’s 15 million jobs. That’s the size of the hole we have to fill." Biden says he's more optimistic than Yang that those jobs will come back.

As the coronavirus has accelerated Yang's predictions of joblessness and growing economic inequality, his ideas have become more relevant with every passing day.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:51 PM

Jack Dorsey from twitter is giving $5 mil to Humanity Forward
Old 05-21-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Jack Dorsey from twitter is giving $5 mil to Humanity Forward
Nice! That's awesome! Thanks for posting that.

Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey gives Andrew Yang $5M to fund microgrants for those who recently lost jobs

The article says that Humanity Forward has already given away $2M in microgrants before the Jack Dorsey money. They will be giving away this money in $250 increments.

Quote:
Dorsey has been a supporter of universal basic income, calling the policy “long overdue.” He said he supports the mission of Humanity Forward because "the only way we can change policy is by experimenting and showing case studies of why this works.” The CEO called it a "tragedy" that most of the $2.2 trillion CARES Act did not go directly into the hands of citizens, though the package did include $1,200 payments to most citizens and a $600 boost to state-issued unemployment checks.

Since the pandemic hit, several politicians, including Yang's former competitor Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, have floated a universal basic income of $2,000 to help those out of work and to stimulate the economy.
I listened to Yang's first podcast on YangSpeaks. In it, he says that he now thinks that $1K mo. might be insufficient and is leaning toward Bernie Sanders' higher amount of $2K/mo. Yang says that when he proposed the $1K, he thought that people could supplement that income with gig jobs but is realizing that gig jobs might not be as readily available with so many people unemployed as he was originally thinking.