Old 01-26-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffalump and Roo View Post
That's up from 48% favorable/52% unfavorable in a Gallup poll in 2/18. Or up from 43% in a another Gallup poll comparing other countries in June 2019. Or up from 49% favorable/ 52% unfavorable in a The Hill/HarrisX poll in September 2019. In the video, they reported an increase from February 2019 which showed a 43% favorability with the same question.
Looking back at the data, these polls are not exactly an apples to apples match to the Emerson poll. The Emerson poll included registered Democrats and Independents. The Gallup polls included Republicans. The HarrisX poll is unclear. Since I couldn't find any other UBI poll that matched the data set exactly, these are guideposts for reference.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:26 AM

You can go to the 2/18 Gallup poll itself to see the breakout to make a bit more apples to apples.

In that Gallup poll before Yang's campaign it was 65% favorable/35% unfavorable among Democrats and 48%/52% among Independents.

The current Emerson 53% favorable number is just likely Iowa Democratic caucus goers.

Still different varieties of apples but more consistent with a LOSS of support for the idea since Yang than an increase.

Looking at the Hill/HarrisX September poll among Democrats it was 66% favorable and Independents ran 48% Favorable - up from their 2/19 poll, less than the newest Emerson results, and on par with Gallups 2/18 numbers.

It would be a bit insane to look at the Emerson number and claim that he's moved the needle an insane amount on this.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:46 AM

unless the top 4 people die or drop out Yang is not the nominee.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:04 AM

Bloomberg is ahead of him now too so that's 5. But even if they all drop out, I assume people will start liking Klobuchar rather than decide Yang isn't ridiculous.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:26 AM

Yang is leading in a straw poll of young people , edging out Sanders

https://twitter.com/EricQuachSpeaks/...33793576480768
Old 01-30-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
It would be a bit insane to look at the Emerson number and claim that he's moved the needle an insane amount on this.
More discussion continued here in the UBI thread in Great Debates.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:04 PM

Some fun stuff going on in the Andrew Yang campaign.

Dave Chappelle phone banking
for Andrew Yang, ends the call with "Wu Tang".

Dave Chappelle explaining why he's endorsing Andrew Yang. Dave Chappelle read Yang's book that he got from a neighbor. Chappelle says that UBi would help so many people in his community in Dayton, OH. Chappelle did an event in Iowa and will be doing two more in South Carolina to benefit Yang.

Quote:
"I found him inspiring...I think many of the good ideas on the table this year are coming from a single source, Andrew Yang, and for some reason no one's paying attention."
Amber Ruffin makes a note of Anita Baker endorsing Andrew Yang with one of Anita Baker's songs with lyrics about Yang's campaign on the Seth Meyers show.

A partial list of endorsements for Yang.

Yang Gang Gives $1k to Random Strangers in Harlem | Andrew Yang's Freedom Dividend on Display
Fatboy SSE and NDO Champ give Harlem a taste of life in Yang's America

[rappers giving $1K to people in Harlem randomly and telling them about Yang's UBI, saying help is on the way. the reactions of the people receiving the money is priceless. what they would do with the money is interesting]

Yang's response
to the video:

Quote:
This is the greatest thing I have ever seen: https://youtu.be/h7crf0mzhws This is what we are talking about.
Newspapers From Elizabeth Warren's State Endorse Andrew Yang for President

Quote:
The Lowell Sun and the Sentinel & Enterprise, which are both owned by MediaNews Group, published a joint endorsement of Yang on Monday, praising him for his willingness to reach out to all voters. The Massachusetts newspapers, which are published in Lowell and Fitchburg respectively, argued that Yang, similar to Trump, would disrupt "the political status quo" but would do so like "a nimble tech startup and not a wrecking ball."

"He is committed to the idea that politics should work in the service of people, or 'Humanity First' as his campaign slogan puts it.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Some fun stuff going on in the Andrew Yang campaign.

Dave Chappelle phone banking
for Andrew Yang, ends the call with "Wu Tang".

Dave Chappelle explaining why he's endorsing Andrew Yang. Dave Chappelle read Yang's book that he got from a neighbor. Chappelle says that UBi would help so many people in his community in Dayton, OH. Chappelle did an event in Iowa and will be doing two more in South Carolina to benefit Yang.

Amber Ruffin makes a note of Anita Baker endorsing Andrew Yang with one of Anita Baker's songs with lyrics about Yang's campaign on the Seth Meyers show.

A partial list of endorsements for Yang.

Yang Gang Gives $1k to Random Strangers in Harlem | Andrew Yang's Freedom Dividend on Display
Fatboy SSE and NDO Champ give Harlem a taste of life in Yang's America

[rappers giving $1K to people in Harlem randomly and telling them about Yang's UBI, saying help is on the way. the reactions of the people receiving the money is priceless. what they would do with the money is interesting]

Yang's response
to the video:

Newspapers From Elizabeth Warren's State Endorse Andrew Yang for President
I agree that a lot of the best new ideas seem to be coming from this one guy but here is the main problem I have with his UBI. UBI solves the problem of automation making human labor redundant but right now and for the forseeable future, employment rates are going to be very low. Why fix a problem we don't have yet? It's like moving everyone out of coastal cities today because we think that global warming is going to put those cities under water.

Does the replacing food stamps with UBI solve any of today's problems?
Old 02-06-2020, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Yang slashes his staff. I wonder if the money is drying up? This is similar to Kamala before she dropped out.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...debacle-111611
Old 02-06-2020, 04:58 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Yang slashes his staff. I wonder if the money is drying up? This is similar to Kamala before she dropped out.

Whatever will the Yang Gang do now?
Old 02-06-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:

The article says that the layoffs were planned before Iowa and that Yang will "keep fighting".

The rest of the article talks about how the staff they started with had no political experience and when the politically experienced were brought on, there was sometimes a clash of culture. That makes sense. You can see it in the strategies, the traditional methods versus the unconventional methods.

Quote:
The Yang campaign insists it had planned to reduce the size of his organization after Iowa. The official wouldn’t specify the number of people who were fired, but the fired staffers said it was in the dozens. According to FEC reports released last week, the Yang campaign had more than 230 people on staff.

“As part of our original plans following the Iowa caucuses, we are winding down our Iowa operations and restructuring to compete as the New Hampshire primary approaches,” campaign manager Zach Graumann said in a statement to POLITICO. “These actions are a natural evolution of the campaign post-Iowa, same as other campaigns have undertaken, and Andrew Yang is going to keep fighting for the voices of the more than 400,000 supporters who have donated to the campaign and placed a stake in the future of our country.”

The campaign also disputed that the national and policy directors were “senior” staffers, despite their titles. Spokesman SY Lee said both directors did research and wrote first drafts because they “were not good enough” to have decision-making responsibilities.
Why would you wonder if the money is drying up? In your January 2020 thread, Yang's donations are higher than ever. That said, their expense run rate is more than they're taking in. Winding down Iowa operations makes sense right now.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:28 PM

So how many people have the other campaigns cut?
Old 02-06-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
So how many people have the other campaigns cut?
some have cut 100% - Booker, Harris, etc.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The article says that the layoffs were planned before Iowa and that Yang will "keep fighting".

The rest of the article talks about how the staff they started with had no political experience and when the politically experienced were brought on, there was sometimes a clash of culture. That makes sense. You can see it in the strategies, the traditional methods versus the unconventional methods.

Why would you wonder if the money is drying up? In your January 2020 thread, Yang's donations are higher than ever. That said, their expense run rate is more than they're taking in. Winding down Iowa operations makes sense right now.
The reason I wondered if the money was drying up was that campaigns look at their money coming in every day. And, Yang has been crowded out completely with the recent political news and a Friday night debate isn’t exactly going to help. Every campaign winds down Iowa, but the staff gets transferred to new areas.

I imagine Yang and Steyer will be basically ignored for the Friday debate and it’ll be the last debate for both.

Last edited by dalej42; 02-06-2020 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:42 PM

I expect this time next week he will be out of the race. It's all fun and games with your cool persona, online gang and niche candidacy in the months leading up but once voting begins it quickly gets old. Caucuses are better for him because the loudest and passionate supporters can mobilize and make the case for him but I expect him to really struggle in a primary.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
The reason I wondered if the money was drying up was that campaigns look at their money coming in every day. And, Yang has been crowded out completely with the recent political news and a Friday night debate isn’t exactly going to help. Every campaign winds down Iowa, but the staff gets transferred to new areas.

I imagine Yang and Steyer will be basically ignored for the Friday debate and it’ll be the last debate for both.
It's only been 2 days since Iowa. Hopefully, no one is making decisions based on 2 days of data.

Meanwhile, Yang did a CNN town hall in NH that is getting good reviews. I saw a nice review from the panel at CNN with one guy saying that Yang won the night of CNN town halls.

John Leguizamo was on Colbert talking about why he's endorsing Yang.

Ken Jeong is also doing a fundraiser for Yang shortly.

As for the debate, Yang always gets very little coverage. But he always gets Google searches and gets at least $1M in donations after each debate.

As I was looking through my twitter to find the CNN video, I found this other article by Politico on Elizabeth Warren's campaign. Maybe it's just Politico's day to go on a rampage about the campaigns. These people left since November. It seems a little blown out of proportion.

Quote:
News: Warren's Nevada team in tumult as 6 staffers, all women of color, have departed the roughly 70-person campaign in the final stretch w/ complaints of a toxic work environment in which they felt tokenized and w/ state senior leadership at loggerheads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycott View Post
I expect this time next week he will be out of the race. It's all fun and games with your cool persona, online gang and niche candidacy in the months leading up but once voting begins it quickly gets old. Caucuses are better for him because the loudest and passionate supporters can mobilize and make the case for him but I expect him to really struggle in a primary.
I was thinking that too, but the last stat I saw, 7K went in for Yang, only about 1-2K came out for Yang because he wasn't viable. If it was straight voting, the people going in would have voted for Yang.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:47 PM

Are you going to defend "These actions are a natural evolution of the campaign post-Iowa, same as other campaigns have undertaken" from.the campaign manager? And do you buy that the national and policy directors weren't “senior” staffers?
Old 02-06-2020, 10:48 PM

Per Open Secrets he has only $3.7 million cash on hand left. Even Klobuchar has more than that. The race gets much more expensive as Super Tuesday approaches.

He’s out after New Hampshire.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Per Open Secrets he has only $3.7 million cash on hand left. Even Klobuchar has more than that. The race gets much more expensive as Super Tuesday approaches.

He’s out after New Hampshire.
Pete raised $2.7 million right after Iowa. No one can convince me that Yang did the same

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.c...owa/index.html

Also the debate rules change so he won’t be sucking oxygen up there any longer.

I’ve heard all the DNC conspiracies. And I don’t care. We need Bloomberg’s ass up there and Steyer and Yang to exit stage left

Last edited by dalej42; 02-06-2020 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:42 AM

Quote:
FEC reports say that Yang had cash on hand of $3.7M on 12/31/19.

Open Secrets
has the exact same number, so it's probably from the FEC report. 538 has the same number for fiscal 2019.

If that's the case, the $3.7M doesn't include the $6.7M from January 2020 or the expenses for January 2020.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:13 AM

we can vote early for super tuesday starting next week I was voting for Yang but that seems dumb now. I will choose either Pete or Bloomberg .
Old 02-09-2020, 12:26 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Yang on late-term abortions #OurRightsOurCourts: “We have to get back to the point where nobody should be celebrating abortion... it’s a tragedy, to me, if someone decides they don’t want to have a child... celebrating children, family, these are universal human values”

https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/s...50001690189825
Terrible take on abortion.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear View Post
Terrible take on abortion.
Which part? Yang says that "it should be up to the woman and her doctor and the State should not be intervening all the way through pregnancy." And "we also stand for women's reproductive rights."

Beyond that, I'd like the see the whole piece in context. I've seen him speak about women's reproductive issues many times. He's said that we should leave it up to the women to decide.

Andrew Solender cut that part out in the quote, but it's in the video clip. Solender's been trolling the Yang Gang since the beginning.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:43 AM

He might stay in til Super Tuesday but don't see him staying after that.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:47 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Which part? Yang says that "it should be up to the woman and her doctor and the State should not be intervening all the way through pregnancy." And "we also stand for women's reproductive rights."

Beyond that, I'd like the see the whole piece in context. I've seen him speak about women's reproductive issues many times. He's said that we should leave it up to the women to decide.

Andrew Solender cut that part out in the quote, but it's in the video clip. Solender's been trolling the Yang Gang since the beginning.
The part that was literally quoted: Nobody "celebrates" abortion and whether it's a "tragedy" a woman gets an abortion is none of his fucking business. The fact that you want to bury Yang's own words and blame the guy who Tweeted them makes me hope that all of the "Yang Gang" are not as intellectually dishonest.

Last edited by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear; 02-09-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:31 PM

Yang's on his way out, considering his flub where it looked like he was eating in the last debate, I don't see him lasting much longer.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Liam View Post
Yang's on his way out, considering his flub where it looked like he was eating in the last debate, I don't see him lasting much longer.
I wish I knew what this meant, but I'm afraid to ask. Eating in a debate is a flub?

I've seen people criticize him for chewing gum all the time. I don't think he's doing that. I notice that he pumps his jaw when he's feeling confident or something good happens. It sort of looks like chewing, but I don't think he's doing that.

In other news, Yang is soldiering on.

He's been holding 4-5 events a day in New Hampshire. He went from Iowa at 3 am to holding meetings in NH every day all day from morning until night.

A Politico reporter followed him around for 12 hours during the Iowa caucus. He paints a picture of Yang as someone who rarely gets nervous, who has been battling a cold for the previous weeks and who hasn't slept much in a while. He dozes off for an hour at a time between events.

12 Wild Hours With Andrew Yang

Quote:
It does, however, make him a very interesting candidate in a very interesting election in a very interesting time for America. In a period of massive political disruption, Democrats are largely left choosing between conventional figures. A former vice president. Three U.S. senators. Even the supposed insurgent, a gay, small-town mayor from the Midwest, is a Harvard and McKinsey alum who once ran for national party chairman. The remaining two candidates are the party’s two richest political donors.

The only true maverick is Yang.
. . .
But money—although he’s raised gobs of it—isn’t the measure of Yang’s success. Once widely dismissed as a quixotic candidate with a fringe platform, the obscure, even-keeled Asian guy with little infrastructure and even less experience somehow built a movement. Steering clear of the outrage-identity complex on the left and building a message around communities, relationships and dignity, Yang forged a unique connection with workers and citizens who feel increasingly left behind by the new economy. Before long, the #YangGang became a dominant presence online(if not always on the ground), powered by an intensity of belief in the man and his message. Ron Paul and Bernie Sanders spent decades in Congress cultivating niche followings before they went national. Yang has, in the space of two years, created a revolution of his own, one that will endure regardless of tonight’s results.
Yang was given a standing ovation, mostly by supporters of other candidates at the NHDem McIntyre-Shaheen dinner.

In a bit of weirdness, there is an Scott Andrew Yang running for judge on the California ballot along with Andrew Yang for President.

The @GOP has been going after Yang but @God is on his side. I don't know who this person is but the account has 6.1M followers.

Quote:
God
@TheTweetOfGod
Shock the world, Iowa.

#Yang2020.
The mods of the Yang subreddit have shut down the sub to new posts during phone banking hours to encourage phone banking. I was opposed at first, but it looks like it's working. Enthusiasm in the sub is still high with an average of 2-3K people at any given time with 107K subs and phone banking increased.

Nice Cuomo interview with Yang. Chris says that he's never heard anyone trash Yang and that he wishes him well in NH. From the interview:

Quote:
“With a crystal ball, we might not have invested as much energy in Iowa, because I think that that lack of clarity afterwards hurt every candidate," says presidential candidate Andrew Yang about the Iowa Democratic caucus. "But we're excited about being here in New Hampshire."
Old 02-11-2020, 07:04 PM

CNN is reporting that Yang is out. Not verified yet.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:05 PM

Reports breaking that Yang is suspending his campaign.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:10 PM

Not a surprise, he can probably do well in 2024 or 2028 , hopefully no Dem will run except the incumbent in 2024.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Confirmed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaPo
Andrew Yang, a Democratic businessman who campaigned on giving every adult American a monthly check for $1,000, will end his campaign for president after a disappointing showing in the New Hampshire primary.

“I am a numbers guy,” Yang said in an interview before addressing supporters at Manchester’s Puritan Backroom. “In most of these [upcoming] states, I’m not going to be at a threshold where I get delegates, which makes sticking around not necessarily helpful or productive in terms of furthering the goals of this campaign.”

Yang said he had not decided whether to endorse another candidate, though campaigns have reached out.

“If I become persuaded that there's a particular candidate that gives us a superior chance of beating Donald Trump, and I think it's important to make that opinion known, then I would consider it for sure,” Yang said. He also said he would be open to becoming another candidate’s running mate or joining a presidential Cabinet.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:38 PM

Yang said that he was persuaded that the campaign's message would not be helped by his continuing in the race.

Yang was also very clear that he will support the Democratic nominee to defeat Trump, which he has always said.

He ended by saying that the movement is not over; it's just getting started.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:07 PM

His campaign was by any reasonable measure a huge success: he increased awareness of important issues, introduced himself to the voters, and left before he wore out his welcome. I look forward to seeing his next move.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
His campaign was by any reasonable measure a huge success: he increased awareness of important issues, introduced himself to the voters, and left before he wore out his welcome. I look forward to seeing his next move.
Well, the measure I'd look at is votes, and his campaign was according to this measure...not a success at all. I mean, he got one percent in Iowa and finished behind Tulsi Gabbard (Tulsi Gabbard!) in New Hampshire with less than 3 percent of the vote. He also did not show much ability to run a truly professional campaign, as indicated by his inability to make the Ohio ballot (and his inability to take any share of the blame for that). Fundraising is important, and he was good at that, but he wasn't able to translate that into votes.

I would also argue that he wore out his welcome many months ago. I don't think Democrats are terribly interested in non-politicians who take it into their heads to run for president, for one. I'm curious to know what "important issues" he increased awareness of--seemed to me that every time he spoke during the debates he brought the conversation back to UBI. Is that an important issue? Maybe, though most Americans, even most Democrats, don't seem to think so, but maybe it was. What other issues was he brining up that other candidates weren't?

I do think Yang has things to say regarding the public sphere. As a math person, I like his emphasis on math, and I could see him doing excellent work in the service of STEM education. But I hope he decides to take his talents in a direction other than another run for president.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:04 PM

It wasn't reasonable to ever think he was going to have a chance to win, so that's not a fair measure. I think the percentage of Americans who know what UBI is, and the percentage who support it, have both increased significantly due to his run, though obviously it's still a minority position. And I didn't see anyone else talking about automation in the way he did.

Last edited by Thing Fish; 02-12-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
It wasn't reasonable to ever think he was going to have a chance to win, so that's not a fair measure. I think the percentage of Americans who know what UBI is, and the percentage who support it, have both increased significantly due to his run, though obviously it's still a minority position. And I didn't see anyone else talking about automation in the way he did.
I agree that winning the nomination would have been difficult, but Yang didn't even get 10,000 votes in NH. Suggesting to me that his message was not falling on fertile soil. I mean, Bernie Sanders didn't win or come very close in 2016, but he got 40%+ of the primary votes. Clearly his message was being heard and accepted by a significant proportion of the Democratic electorate. Yang's, just as clearly, was not. It's not all about whether you win--it's also about how close you get if you don't.

Do you have a cite that support for UBI has risen in any meaningful way, BTW? I haven't gotten that impression, but I could be wrong.

I was kind of folding automation into UBI, as UBI is essentially Yang's solution to what he sees as the problem of automation, but you're right that no one else is talking about it among the current candidates.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:57 PM

No, I have no cites, just my WAG.

I personally found Yang an impressive guy and his ideas intriguing, though I never for a second seriously considered actually voting for him. I am more open to the idea of UBI than I was a year ago, though still not totally on board. I think a lot of people would agree with me on that, and that's really the only criteria it's fair to judge a campaign of this nature on; he had to have known from Day One that he had no chance of winning.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:00 PM

True, there are many people who run just to raise awareness of an issue. I think two succeed - Inslee focusing on climate change and Yang focusing on UBI.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:26 PM
Suspended

If Yang really wants to make a difference he would run for a local office, something in his state, maybe even for the US House.

But thing is he (and others who make splash runs at the presidency) don't really care about getting experience and moving up like everyone else. They want to be Jesus without the suffering.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:43 PM
Luminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post

I do think Yang has things to say regarding the public sphere. As a math person, I like his emphasis on math, and I could see him doing excellent work in the service of STEM education. But I hope he decides to take his talents in a direction other than another run for president.
This gives the impression that you think the MATH hats, and so on are about mathematics. I wish to point out MATH stands for Make America Think Harder.

Yang will make an excellent Vice President or Cabinet Secretary.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Duality View Post
This gives the impression that you think the MATH hats, and so on are about mathematics. I wish to point out MATH stands for Make America Think Harder.

Yang will make an excellent Vice President or Cabinet Secretary.
I actually knew that. But thanks. More to my point, he is an excellent ambassador for STEM fields. It’s not a coincidence that his acronym is MATH rather than say ENGLISH LIT or MUSIC.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:22 PM

I think Yang made an enormous contribution to normalising and making more visible the Asian American communitys voice in the political sphere and setting an example for future Asian American candidates.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:13 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

The Moderator Speaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear View Post
If Yang really wants to make a difference he would run for a local office, something in his state, maybe even for the US House.

But thing is he (and others who make splash runs at the presidency) don't really care about getting experience and moving up like everyone else. They want to be Jesus without the suffering.
You were instructed, three days ago, to not be in GD or Elections.

Enjoy your upcoming suspension.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I would also argue that he wore out his welcome many months ago. I don't think Democrats are terribly interested in non-politicians who take it into their heads to run for president, for one. I'm curious to know what "important issues" he increased awareness of--seemed to me that every time he spoke during the debates he brought the conversation back to UBI. Is that an important issue? Maybe, though most Americans, even most Democrats, don't seem to think so, but maybe it was. What other issues was he brining up that other candidates weren't?
apart from discussing UBI and automation, Yang brought up/brings up the necessity of talking about the non-material dimension of American life: happiness, sense of purpose, the value of work that does not have economic value. does that not seem obvious now that I say so? yet, it took an outsider candidate to even bring that into the discussion. (Williamson touched on this as well but did not last as long or get as far.)
Old 02-15-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanas.com View Post
apart from discussing UBI and automation, Yang brought up/brings up the necessity of talking about the non-material dimension of American life: happiness, sense of purpose, the value of work that does not have economic value. does that not seem obvious now that I say so? yet, it took an outsider candidate to even bring that into the discussion. (Williamson touched on this as well but did not last as long or get as far.)
Gosh, I dunno--I hear this sort of thing from pretty much all candidates. Obama, for one, certainly talked about the non-material dimensions of life and the need for a sense of purpose a heck of a lot. This does not seem like anything Yang-specific to me.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Do you have a cite that support for UBI has risen in any meaningful way, BTW? I haven't gotten that impression, but I could be wrong.
There's some discussion on that topic in post #600 and more in the UBI thread that is redirected in post #606

Quote:
I actually knew that. But thanks. More to my point, he is an excellent ambassador for STEM fields. It’s not a coincidence that his acronym is MATH rather than say ENGLISH LIT or MUSIC.
The history of the acronym is from a joke that Yang used to tell that "the opposite of Donald Trump is an asian man who likes math." That turned into the MATH hat, which was a play on the MAGA hats. The acronym Make America Think Harder evolved from that.

Yang's tweet on STEM jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Yang
8% of US jobs are in STEM fields. 92% are not. If someone thinks they can train 92% of workers for roles presently occupied by 8% of workers they have a rather fanciful view of both people and work.
One of his key points is that pushing people into college to go into STEM fields when only 8% of the jobs reside there is not useful. There is already an underemployment rate for college graduates topping 40%. Adding more college graduates from STEM fields to vie for 8% of jobs would not help the economy as much as some other propositions, like apprenticeships and trade schools.

Some talk has been had about Yang joining an administration in some capacity to help with technology, but that's not the same as STEM education.

Quote:
Gosh, I dunno--I hear this sort of thing from pretty much all candidates. Obama, for one, certainly talked about the non-material dimensions of life and the need for a sense of purpose a heck of a lot. This does not seem like anything Yang-specific to me.
iguanas.com might have been referencing Yang's American Scorecard policy.

Quote:
When you measure something, you implicitly set your policy goals. By focusing our measurement on GDP, we’ve promoted production over all else. It’s time to start measuring economic prosperity using a wider index that measures human as well as monetary indicators, such as (but not limited to):

Quality of life and health-adjusted life expectancy
Happiness/Well-Being and Mental Health
Environmental quality
Affordability
Childhood success rates
Underemployment
Income Inequality
Consumer and Student Debt
Work and civic engagement levels
Volunteerism
Infant mortality
Quality of infrastructure
Access to education
Marriage and divorce rates
Substance abuse and related deaths
National optimism
Personal dynamism/economic mobility

In short, why use GDP as a proxy for how Americans are doing when we can easily measure that well-being directly? Let's start an American Scorecard, directly measuring the things we should be focusing on.
Past Presidents and most of the other candidates have been using GDP, the unemployment rate and the stock market as indicators of their success. But that success doesn't always reflect how the country as a whole is doing in some important ways. Yang wanted to change the measurements of success of the country by using other indicators of success.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:18 PM

Even though the 2020 campaign is officially suspended, I'm posting this here because I think it still fits into the campaign.

Andrew Yang joins CNN as a political commentator

The cynical think this is him selling out. The faithful think this is him elevating the message in another form. We'll see.

Yang also says he'll be live tweeting during the debate. I've seen him do that before. It was awesome, so I'm looking forward to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Yang
Will likely live tweet the debate tonight.
After Yang suspended his campaign, he went to a last rally that was planned. In that rally, he was interviewed by Daniel Negreanu, a professional poker player who is OG Yang Gang and was holding an event as a fundraiser. In that interview, Yang said that there was something big planned that would happen in about 2-6 weeks' time.

When Zach Graumann was asked today if the CNN announcement was the big news, he replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Graumann
Lol no
So supposedly, there's something else in the works.

In other news, an Emerson poll released on 2/18/20 showed Democratic voter picks for VP had Yang in 2nd place at 18% and 1st place for Bernie Sanders' VP at 31%. Interestingly to me, in that poll, Abrams was at 8%. Given how much her name has been thrown around on the media, I thought that would be higher.

Quote:
Democratic primary voters are also split on who they see as the best pick for Vice President with California Senator Kamala Harris as the top choice among 20% of Democratic primary voters, Entrepreneur Andrew Yang followed at 18% and Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was third at 16%. Stacey Abrams was picked by 8% of respondents, Former Rep. Beto O’Rourke got 6%, Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown received 5%, Andrew Gillum was chosen by 3% and Rep. Ilhan Omar was selected by 1% of respondents. A plurality of voters, 23%, said they would like to see someone other than the eight candidates listed in the question to be Vice President.
. . .
Among Sanders supporters, 31% said Yang would be the best pick for Vice President, 13% said Harris, 13% said Clinton; 23% said someone else.
Yang is also in double digits for Biden and Warrren supporters as VP pick.

Quote:
Among Biden supporters, 24% said Clinton would be the best pick for VP, 23% said Harris, 13% said Yang, and 14% said someone else. Among Bloomberg supporters, 22% picked Clinton, 19% picked Harris, 8% picked Yang and 35% said someone else. And among Warren supporters, 27% chose Harris, 14% chose Yang and Abrams, 9% chose Clinton and 17% chose someone else.
To me, this shows 2 things. First, people do know his name for him to be in double digits for anything. And second, people generally are favorable to him. If the polls are to be believed, it also shows that his support is not solely online as some media claim.

As for the Yang Gang, it's been a rough ride. The second that Yang suspended, there was a flood of mostly Bernie supporters showing great support for Yang, despite those same people having smeared him relentlessly for weeks. One of those people was AOC.

When some of the Yang Gang showed resistance to jump onboard the Bernie train, some of the Bernie supporters were trash talking the Yang Gang. A verified account called People for Bernie put out a tweet saying that Scott Santens was a grifter, compared to Stephanie Kelton, the Bernie economist. Scott Santens is a UBI advocate and one of the pillars of the Yang Gang. The tweet was later deleted, but I saw it live.

When the Yang Gang saw that, many of them turned around and decided to still vote for Yang. They trended the hashtag #stillvotingYang. This got a lot of people angry.

On the night of the suspension, it was reported that the subReddit had 95K people online at one time. The sub only has 105K subs, so there were a lot of people there to ??. For the next weeks, the mods shut down the sub to only things about Yang because the sub was getting flooded with posts about the other candidates. That slowed things down. The sub is still active and growing again.

Yang's twitter actually grew from the night of the suspension. And oddly enough, there are people just now hopping on the Yang Gang and announcing on twitter.

The media took a friendly turn immediately after the suspension was announced. Vanity Fair wrote a piece on it. The Media Suddenly Can’t Get Enough of Andrew Yang

Quote:
All it took for Andrew Yang to receive gushing media attention in the 2020 race was to drop out.
Hopefully the positive press continues for the issues in Yang's campaign, especially now that he has a voice in the media.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:41 PM

Loss

Quote:
The Yang rally in Portland went great. The energy was great. I enjoyed watching it.

Yang was on Recode Decode (podcast) with Kara Swisher. There was a Facebook video live that was fun to watch.

Yang did an AARP forum with 3 other Presidential candidates (they were all on separately but on the same day). IMO, he nailed it at that one. He differentiated the benefits of the Freedom Dividend over $15/hr min wage.

Yesterday, there was an AMA with Yang on the subReddit. There had been a contest last month between Facebook and Reddit to see who could get to $10K donations to the campaign faster. As a reward, Reddit got the AMA hosted there.

The AMA was crossposted on r/politics and r/AMA and made the front page of Reddit. Because of that, over 2K people (close to 3K) joined the sub in a day. The sub went from 29K to 32K in a day and a half. At the time of the AMA, there were 10K visiting the sub. Some of the questions that Yang didn't answer were answered by the Yang Gang.

Here's a graph of the other candidates' subs' growth taken before the AMA.

The campaign needs 4 qualifying polls to hit 2% or higher to qualify for the September debates. There was one earlier in the month. A new Fox News poll also counts. There's still a tiny bit of dispute over whether the NBCNews/Survey Monkey poll counts. If it does, they're at 3 out of 4 polls. If not, 2 more polls to go. Yang says (from the green room of The Daily Show) that the 3rd counts, so hopefully it does.

The Yang Gangers are phonebanking and canvassing to try to reach more people. The phonebankers say that the people they talk with are all 50 years or older. They're trying to find ways to reach that demographic. There's a Boomers for Andrews Yang youtube, but the viewcount is still very small.

Tonight, 7/25/19, Yang appears on The Daily Show with Trevor Noah. Then on July 31, it's the second debate on CNN.
Sorry, I posted at the bottom liket his, (new to this forum) It's crazy that Andrew had to drop out after these stellar performances. I think alot of his plans could be picked up by Bernie though. Here's hoping that Bernie wins the nomination and UBI makes it through. I'm a small biz owner in TX and could definitely use the money to grow the business. How are you guys processing him pulling out?

-Chris
http://myhoustonbooth.com

Last edited by ccamp92; 02-24-2020 at 02:42 PM. Reason: mistake in post
Old 03-04-2020, 08:17 PM

Yang might run for NYC mayor next year. The current mayor is a Dem so he would have to win a primary first.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/andrew...ork-city-mayor
Old 03-04-2020, 11:06 PM

Haha. I thought you beat me to the announcement tomorrow. The cat is mostly out of the bag, but I'll wait until it's revealed tomorrow on The View on 3/5/20. The rumblings I've seen/heard don't have to do with the mayor's race, but you never know.

Quote:
TOMORROW: Former presidential candidate @AndrewYang
hits the #HotTopics table to guest co-host — and he’s making making a big announcement LIVE on @TheView