Old 03-21-2020, 08:07 PM

Online education programs/resources for Elementary School age kids

So this week my 1st and 4th grader began learning at home thanks to Covid-19, probably for some time to come. Their school uses ClassLink which is good, but my children also enjoy Prodigy and beg to do it for fun in their free time. I was wondering what else is out there for educational programs for this age group in any area whatsoever. Music, geography, art, whatever. Free is good, but Iíll pay if itís worthwhile.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

I'm a teacher and here is what I think. I do teach older kids(middle school), but much of this can be used. I don't think any of these require you to be an educator.

1. Quill.org - Entirely free and has good grammar lessons. Goes down to very beginner all the way up to advanced.

2. Quizizz - A really fun, and entirely free, quiz game web site. Many pre-made quizzes on a wide range of subjects. I don't just use this as a game. I administer quizzes directly through it and it provides data back to me.

3. Newsela - Has a free and pay version, but they just upgraded all teachers to pro because of the virus. Even the free version has almost everything. Kids read current event articles that offer changeable reading levels. They then answer questions or write a response. They write each article at about 4 reading levels.

Those three sites should provide plenty of English(Quizizz does many subjects) practice for your kids. I use all three at work and have had excellent experience with all of them.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:25 PM

School librarian here. This may be useful:

https://classroommagazines.scholasti...arnathome.html

Also look into what your local public library has available online. Most systems have a lot available.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:26 PM

Khan Academy.

I'll check with my kiddos for other thoughts.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-man View Post
School librarian here. This may be useful:

https://classroommagazines.scholasti...arnathome.html

Also look into what your local public library has available online. Most systems have a lot available.
Thanks, Iíll look into it. I would absolutely go to our library, but itís closed until further notice.