Old 03-24-2020, 11:49 AM

Foods that nobody buys, even in a pandemic.

Here's a light hearted news story. We all could use a laugh right now.

I've seen similar empty shelves at my local store. There's always a few unpopular items noone buys.

I had no idea pizza with pineapple is so unpopular. LOL It's not my first choice, but it's better than no pizza.

I can relate to the dislike of cauliflower-based products.
https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/t...e-foods-buying

If you see similar articles post links!

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-24-2020 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

What I found interesting is that the cookie aisle was fully stocked.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:57 AM

I saw an article last week that showed empty shelves except canned pinto beans.

That's really odd. A seasoned pot of beans with cornbread is one of my favorite meals. We normally buy dried beans because they're cheaper. But canned beans are good too.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

I can't remember who it was, or which one of the many threads it was posted in, but one Doper mentioned that she went to the store in hopes of finding her favorite guilty pleasure, vegetarian corn dogs. The frozen food section was picked bare, except for the untouched vegetarian foods.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
That's exactly what I noticed at Target last weekend. Canned kidney beans, black beans, and chickpeas were completely gone, but they had plenty of canned pinto beans. I found that surprising here, too, since pinto beans are a staple in Mexican cooking, are a common burrito filling, etc. But then again I don't buy pinto beans either. I prefer black beans in my burritos.

The one I thought was funny was in the soda aisle was almost all the 12-packs of Coke, Pepsi, Mtn. Dew, Dr. Pepper, etc. were all gone. There were a few cases of Orange Vanilla Coke and Dr. Pepper Cherry left, but that was about it. But they had plenty of Sprite, Sierra Mist, 7-Up, Orange Crush, and other caffeine-free sodas. No one has use for caffeine-free soda in a pandemic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I can't remember who it was, or which one of the many threads it was posted in, but one Doper mentioned that she went to the store in hopes of finding her favorite guilty pleasure, vegetarian corn dogs. The frozen food section was picked bare, except for the untouched vegetarian foods.
I found the same. All the ground beef was sold out, but they still had the Beyond Meat fake ground "beef". I took it as an opportunity to try it out, since I've always been curious about it.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 03-24-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:47 PM

First time I went out I went to grab some frozen vegetables. Only option left was frozen broccoli. Why is it the black sheep of the frozen vegetable world? I don't know, but I bought some for the first time in my life.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Our local grocer has plenty of milk, eggs, medicines, soap, cheese, bread, etc. But the snack food aisles have been devastated. Who knew Cheetos were a disaster food?

The actual foods starting to be in short supply include cereal, pasta, and anything else you can make in 10 minutes. We are not a neighborhood full of gourmets, apparently. Or healthy people.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:48 PM

Yesterday on a quick trip down the frozen vegetable cases, and the only thing in good supply was frozen okra.

Last edited by wolfman; 03-24-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:56 PM

The only available sour cream at the two supermarkets I went to was... Tofutti Milk Free Sour Cream, which was in abundance.

I guess people would rather die than eat that stuff.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:00 PM

I havn't been in the stores. But Mr.Wrekker has been panic shopping. I was looking at the stuff he bought. He had a case of dried beef. WTH? I don't think I've ever even considered that. Ever!
What is it for?
Old 03-24-2020, 01:07 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

Make lots of SOS.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Yesterday on a quick trip down the frozen vegetable cases, and the only thing in good supply was frozen okra.
Man, I'd leave that behind, too. That stuff'll kill ya.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What better time to eat beans than when you're stuck at home by yourself?
Old 03-24-2020, 01:16 PM

Surprisingly, the beer case had barely been touched. Bought me a couple of twelve packs of Negro Modelo. It is a little disturbing that the shelves are starting to become permanently empty. Fallout 5 here we come irl.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:18 PM

Okra is nasty stuff. I'd leave it behind too.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
First time I went out I went to grab some frozen vegetables. Only option left was frozen broccoli. Why is it the black sheep of the frozen vegetable world? I don't know, but I bought some for the first time in my life.
I would think it would be the most popular. It's always been the go-to for my wife and kids when it comes to having some veggies with a meal, though the California blend works as well. In fact, I can't really think of what other frozen vegetable would serve this role.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
If you're a fan of crisp, fresh broccoli, you'll find out when you cook it and eat it.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I had no idea pizza with pineapple is so unpopular. LOL It's not my first choice, but it's better than no pizza.
I bought some of that and the mushroom/spinach pizzas that were left behind. Both tasty combinations to me.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:44 PM

99% of the canned soup was gone. Except onion soup. Which is awesome for cooking. Snatched 4 cans up.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
What better time to eat beans than when you're stuck at home by yourself?
Maybe under normal circumstances. But I cooked up a package of dried 15 bean soup mix last weekend. Since it makes a pretty huge number of servings, I had a bowl of bean soup for lunch pretty much every day last week. In hindsight, eating something so high in fiber when toilet paper is in such short supply might have been a bad idea.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Okra is nasty stuff. I'd leave it behind too.
Acey! And you claim to be a loyal Arkansas guy.
I freeze my own okra. I have a bunch in the freezer. We love it.
I like broccoli not the mushy frozen stuff though.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

All the rice, brown rice, and rice-a-roni was gone. Weird grains were still there.
The first time we went they were out of frozen peas. Who the hell is ever out of frozen peas?
They had plenty of cream cheese, which showed me yet again I don't live in New York any more.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:59 PM

My grocery store is completely stocked, apart from, you guessed it, toilet paper. Well, the paper towels were also kinda low, but zero toilet paper. This after, what 10 days?

Unbelievable.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
99% of the canned soup was gone. Except onion soup. Which is awesome for cooking. Snatched 4 cans up.
In my town, it is cream of mushroom that nobody is hoarding.

Looking back, my mother would often use it as a flavoring in other recipes, but she never actually used it as soup.

Over in the dry goods, 99% of the soap is gone. But nobody seems to be buying Dove. Personally, I prefer Ivory, but can anybody explain why Dove would be unpopular?
Old 03-24-2020, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
Over in the dry goods, 99% of the soap is gone. But nobody seems to be buying Dove. Personally, I prefer Ivory, but can anybody explain why Dove would be unpopular?
Dove has advertised for years that it's 1/4 moisturizing cream. People probably prefer 100% soap, fearing the cream would cut effectiveness.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
At my local Target, the shelf of liquid hand soap was pretty sparse, but the bar soap looked to be fully stocked. I wonder if people view bar soap as unsanitary, and think they can get the virus by touching a bar of soap someone else had touched.

I actually prefer Olay or Dove. The regular non-moisturizing soaps like Ivory and especially Dial seem to make me incredibly itchy.

ETA: I wonder if it's just that Dove is more expensive, and therefore the last to sell out. Over in canned goods the store brand and mainstream name brand canned tomatoes were gone, but there were some expensive organic tomatoes left. In the meat case there was lots of filet mignon left. Maybe it's the same with the Dove soap (I usually get Olay precisely because it's cheaper).

Last edited by WildaBeast; 03-24-2020 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:17 PM

I saw a picture three weeks ago showing UK shelves empty except for the vegan food, three days later I went to Whole Foods in Cambridge, MA which had a 30 minute line for the cash register and fairly well stocked shelves, except for the empty vegan food section.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:48 PM

The meat cases at our store are scarily near bare. One exception: the small section of veggie "meats". Completely stocked.

In the frozen veggie section, the main item that's sitting there all by itself in the middle is spinach. At the top and the bottom are the usual things that don't sell well like frozen corn on the cob and okra*. It's the middle shelves that should have the more popular stuff. I guess spinach doesn't belong there.

* Yes, this is okra country, supposedly. But it's definitely not selling.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:36 PM

I posted in another thread that I was the only person buying any gefilte fish the last time I went shopping. But that was a few weeks ago, and it's possible that's changed now. It helps that I'm not in a Jewish area.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
All the rice, brown rice, and rice-a-roni was gone. Weird grains were still there.
However, Minute Rice was still on the shelves.

Of course, our stores have no toilet paper or paper towels. There are plenty of napkins available, however.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:29 PM

all the Bush's baked beans were gone except onion flavor
Old 03-24-2020, 05:39 PM

Mentioned this in another thread. When I went to Kroger last Friday the canned vegetable aisle was mostly depleted except for many cans of artichoke hearts.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:44 PM

Last time I was out of the house for shopping, all the bread loaves were like dust in the wind ... but the gluten-free remained. Nobody wants to eat that shit unless you really HAVE to.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I use a fair amount of of frozen broccoli for a lazy stir-fry***. One of my go to too-damn-tired-to-stand but still want to be healthy days. Throw some rice in the cooker, or maybe even have some in the fridge. Then put some frozen broccoli, green beans or snap peas, and onion pepper mix in a microwave steamer when it is done dump it on the rice, and pour several Asian liquids over for a sauce, if I haven't already made some stir-fry sauce and stored it in the fridge.

*** Obviously there is no stir-frying, but if you say you're "having a steam" it sounds like a Scandinavian leisure activity, rather than a food.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
In my town, it is cream of mushroom that nobody is hoarding.

Looking back, my mother would often use it as a flavoring in other recipes, but she never actually used it as soup.
I find this amusing because in the upper Midwest (Wisconsin/Minnesota area), it's the basis of pretty much every other casserole (aka "hot dish.") Also known as "Lutheran glue" in some circles (Googling that term only reveals a small handful of hits, oddly.) ETA: Looks like "Lutheran binder" is the more usual expression, according to Google and Wikipedia. I've heard it referred to as "Lutheran glue."

Last edited by pulykamell; 03-24-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:28 PM

Aside from what hasalready been mentioned I noticed my local Wal-Mart had almost all of its canned meat sold out---except for canned sardines. I guess they are not popular.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Frozen okra is perfectly fine as a base for gumbo.

I always use fresh okra, but I would get frozen if it were all that was available. It disintegrates into the soup, so why not?

Pickled okra is also scrumptious. Why all the okra hate?
Old 03-24-2020, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I have no idea how to cook any okra-related dishes (my family's from northern Appalachia), but the dishes I've had cooked by others, I've liked. If I didn't have an overabundance of leftovers that need to be used up, and had to buy provisions and that was all that was available, I'd look up some recipes.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Why all the okra hate?
For many it's not the flavor, it's the texture. Okra and tomatoes has all the appeal of a dish of bloody mucus, and fried okra is just fried boogers.

(I could eat the stuff if I had to, but as long as I'm not socially obligated, I'll pass. In a soup or stew, it's OK.)
Old 03-24-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropo View Post
The only available sour cream at the two supermarkets I went to was... Tofutti Milk Free Sour Cream, which was in abundance.

I guess people would rather die than eat that stuff.
Tofutti rocks; I prefer it to sour cream.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:29 PM

Good, because my lovely wife can't eat gluten or dairy (really--it's not a preference, but a disability acquired as a consequence of a medical treatment). A lot of the items you've named are pretty much what she can eat.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
Mentioned this in another thread. When I went to Kroger last Friday the canned vegetable aisle was mostly depleted except for many cans of artichoke hearts.
If you were in the San Diego area, I would send my sister to that store! She uses them all the time.

The Fareway down the street from has temporarily stocked the TP section with bottled water , and is limiting paper products to 1 package per person.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

From what I've seen online, chocolate hummus doesn't seem to be moving off the shelves during these pandemic days.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:47 PM

My store had paper towels available - as long as you wanted the brown, unbleached kind sold by the single roll.

There was also a selection of St. Patrick's themed baked goods marked down to half off. I guess no one was feeling festive.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I have been vegetarian for over 25 years and too hoped that the stores would still be packed with typically vegetarian foods like meat substitutes, but no dice, two days ago when I was last buying groceries, the same scarceness like in almost everything else.

ETA: I've still not decided if that's a good sign or not. At least it shows that vegetarian food is not such an outside choice like 25 years ago-

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 03-24-2020 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:09 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
For many it's not the flavor, it's the texture. Okra and tomatoes has all the appeal of a dish of bloody mucus...
Aghhhh! Okra stewed with fresh corn kernels and onion and tomatoes is “Southern succotash.” I’m a lifelong Yankee, but I look forward to the summer harvest so I can make that shit. Goes great with BBQ, fried chicken, or panfried po’k chops.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:12 PM

My local store had all the $1 soups completely gone but the $2 Progresso and $3 Campbell's Chunky fully stocked. Guess people literally just bought as many $1 cans as they could but balked at paying the extra $1 for quality.

On the otherhand all Peanut Butter in the normal sized jars (16 ounce iirc) was still there but the bigger "family sized" jars were all out, so people are just buying peanut butter to horde and not immediately eat it seems.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
I have been vegetarian for over 25 years and too hoped that the stores would still be packed with typically vegetarian foods like meat substitutes, but no dice, two days ago when I was last buying groceries, the same scarceness like in almost everything else.

ETA: I've still not decided if that's a good sign or not. At least it shows that vegetarian food is not such an outside choice like 25 years ago-
I thought the same thing last week as I gazed longingly at the empty shelves where Morningstar Farms and Garde In products should have been.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:59 PM

Lots of canned crab meat on the otherwise bare shelves at my store.

Was out of town, and managed to grab some chopped clams, however. Wee! Linguini with Clams!
Old 03-24-2020, 11:35 PM

Chef Boyardee ravioli is weirdly easy to find here. It was my first choice when I started stocking up on canned food, because I remember liking it when I was twelve.