Old 03-29-2020, 04:22 AM

The whitest movie ever?

I just saw the poster for a movie titled What Love Looks Like. Holy crap! I had to google to find out that it wasn't made by the Hallmark Channel or Evangelical Christians.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Well, I got curious, so I went to the movie's imdb page and looked down the cast list for nonwhite faces. I see:

Lori Talley ... (Mom in Park)
Luis Antonius Canete ... (Metrolink Boyfriend)
Cedric Stephens ... (Apartment Resident)
Calvin Peters ... (Waiter)

So diversity is alive and well in Hollywood. My dad used to comment occasionally on movies he'd seen in the 1950s where a street scene with hundreds of extras ostensibly in New York City had all-white crowds.

Last edited by Bryan Ekers; 03-29-2020 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:31 AM

Huh, let me be the judge of th...alright, I get it. Thanks for the morning laugh Darren Garrison.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:41 AM

You missed Stephan Peters as Customer, but you point still holds.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-n-va View Post
You missed Stephan Peters as Customer, but you point still holds.
Stop detail-shaming me!
Old 03-29-2020, 08:48 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Well, I got curious, so I went to the movie's imdb page and looked down the cast list for nonwhite faces. I see:

Lori Talley ... (Mom in Park)
Luis Antonius Canete ... (Metrolink Boyfriend)
Cedric Stephens ... (Apartment Resident)
Calvin Peters ... (Waiter)

So diversity is alive and well in Hollywood. My dad used to comment occasionally on movies he'd seen in the 1950s where a street scene with hundreds of extras ostensibly in New York City had all-white crowds.
The third billed, Tevy Poe, is Asian. I’m not sure if you can blame “Hollywood.” This looks like a small independent film by Alex Magaña who directed and produced it. Yeah I have no idea who that is either.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
The third billed, Tevy Poe, is Asian.
I mean, she's right on the poster. Seems as though someone could find whiter than that.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

I don't know why, but 12 Angry Men strikes me as such, specifically the one with Henry Fonda. I actually love the teleplay and the movie, but it would not surprise me if I read that people think the movie is white-idealistic in some aspects.

Could be just me, though, I have no idea.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I don't know why, but 12 Angry Men strikes me as such, specifically the one with Henry Fonda. I actually love the teleplay and the movie, but it would not surprise me if I read that people think the movie is white-idealistic in some aspects.

I recall the accused being the first generation of an immigrant of Italian extraction living in a slum. Yeah, he’s ‘white’ to us, but for the time perhaps the play was commenting about 11 white mens cavalier disregard for someone different. In that case, all the white faces were intentional.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post

Wasn't the defendant in the trial non-white? Even if there were only white guys onscreen, racism was still an issue. So yes, there was a bit of white idealism there, but It's still not as "white" as a movie where non-white people don't even exist, like, say, White Christmas.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
I recall the accused being the first generation of an immigrant of Italian extraction living in a slum. Yeah, he’s ‘white’ to us, but for the time perhaps the play was commenting about 11 white mens cavalier disregard for someone different. In that case, all the white faces were intentional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Wasn't the defendant in the trial non-white? Even if there were only white guys onscreen, racism was still an issue. So yes, there was a bit of white idealism there, but It's still not as "white" as a movie where non-white people don't even exist, like, say, White Christmas.
Oh, yes, it is the "non-whiteness" of the defendant that to me, makes this idealistic to white people. A bunch of white people(I think perhaps one of them is not supposed to be white?) all come around and vote not-guilty just based on the evidence.

It's kind of an idealistic version of our judicial system.

Note: Or not! I'm just speculating!
Old 03-29-2020, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

The reviews on the IMDb describe What Love Looks Like as being an independent film. So while it may not be Hallmark Channel movie, it looks like it's intended for the same audience. This looks like it's made by someone who wanted to do an independent film that couldn't get money from any obvious source like the Hallmark Channel, nor could they get it shown at any film festival. It's hard to tell if it's any good given that apparently none of us have seen it. If you have seen it, let us know.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:49 AM

I don't remember any non-white people in "Groundhog Day" despite the fairly large cast. The whole movie hass a very "white" feel as well.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
I don't remember any non-white people in "Groundhog Day" despite the fairly large cast. The whole movie hass a very "white" feel as well.
To be fair, The Borough of Punxsutawney is 98.8% White. Possibly more so when the movie was made. Going to see a groundhog on Groundhog day seems like a very white thing to do on top of that.

Last edited by What Exit?; 03-29-2020 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:13 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I just saw the poster for a movie titled What Love Looks Like. Holy crap! I had to google to find out that it wasn't made by the Hallmark Channel or Evangelical Christians.
It's not often you can tell people are terrible actors just from the poster, but here we go.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

The movie version of 12 Angry Men might have been all white, but I'm not so sure about the original play. Didn't one of the other jurors say something about growing up in the same environment as the defendant?
Old 03-29-2020, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Alex Magaña is a music video director and head of his own production company. I've never heard of him or any of his films. I've never heard of any of the actors in this film.

He has five films listed on RottenTomatoes. They have a collective total of one review. It's for What Love Looks Like and it's negative.

The film is available on Amazon Prime, true. They're obviously scraping the bottom of the barrel for product to throw at the audience and pretend that they're competitive with Netflix. Though I'll bet that Netflix's bottom of the barrel looks no better.

I don't think this cast says anything at all about Hollywood. Or Amazon Prime either. Schlock has always existed and always will.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:37 PM

It's not a movie, but someone's going to have to mention Midsomer Murders, so it might as well be me.

Quote:
In March 2011, the series' producer, Brian True-May, was suspended by All3Media after telling the TV listings magazine Radio Times that the programme did not have any non-white characters because the series was a "bastion of Englishness." When challenged about the term "Englishness" and whether that would exclude ethnic minorities, True-May responded: "Well, it should do, and maybe I'm not politically correct." He later went on to say that he wanted to make a programme "that appeals to a certain audience, which seems to succeed."
j
Old 03-29-2020, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
The movie version of 12 Angry Men might have been all white, but I'm not so sure about the original play. Didn't one of the other jurors say something about growing up in the same environment as the defendant?
Twelve Angry Men was originally written as a television production. The original version featured Robert Cummings as the holdout juror, and the all-white cast debated the fate of a Puerto Rican teenager.

Whitest movie of all time? How about Mary Poppins or The Sound of Music?
Old 03-29-2020, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Alex Magaña has a number of credits on the IMDb. It looks like he directed three shorts (which are apparently music videos) and three TV series (although they only appeared online). Since then he has directed five movies that have been released so far and one that is in pre-production. There doesn't appear to be any consistency about the subjects of anything he has done so far. I don't understand how he has been able to do these films given that none of them seems to have made very much:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3927153/

https://wherever-i-look.com/non-revi...alley-and-more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGAKzZO9wFg
Old 03-29-2020, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

I'd say that the Whit Stillman trilogy (Metropolitan, Barcelona and The Last Days of Disco) are pretty white.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:36 PM

LOTR trilogy
Old 03-29-2020, 01:45 PM

Nanook of the North is so white they have to wear snow goggles. Great film.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:50 PM

I’m black and a fan of them, but most Wes Anderson movies are aggressively white.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
One of the jurors, the one played by Jack Klugman, had grown up in a slum and mentioned having witnessed knife fights as a kid. There was also a European immigrant juror, played by George Voskovec. Voskovec himself was Czech, but I don't recall if the film identified what country the character was supposed to be from.

Not many people seem to remember that there was a TV-movie remake of Twelve Angry Men (on Showtime, I think) done in the late 1990s, with Jack Lemmon in the Henry Fonda role. Its casting included several black actors, including Courtney B. Vance, Ossie Davis, and Mykelti Williamson (although the jury is still all male). I thought it was okay, although not as good as the original film.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:44 PM

I submit 1957's The Story of Mankind with white Native Americans and white ancient Egyptians.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

There have been several productions of Twelve Angry Men with twelve women on the jury.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Even the African Americans in Birth of a Nation were white.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
The reviews on the IMDb describe What Love Looks Like as being an independent film. So while it may not be Hallmark Channel movie, it looks like it's intended for the same audience. This looks like it's made by someone who wanted to do an independent film that couldn't get money from any obvious source like the Hallmark Channel, nor could they get it shown at any film festival. It's hard to tell if it's any good given that apparently none of us have seen it. If you have seen it, let us know.
It's rated 4.9 on IMDB, so it probably isn't very good.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

I can see that it got some bad ratings, but I just thought it would be interesting if someone here has seen it and can describe it.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:44 PM

The Big Chill is the whitest movie ever, that’s been verified by science.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I mean, she's right on the poster. Seems as though someone could find whiter than that.
It isn't just the number of white people but also the degree of whiteness of them. They make Mormon missionaries look like hippies.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:03 PM

Any Merchant/Ivory film that isn't set in India.
Of course, they pale (no pun intended) against the whitest TV shows of all time. I don't care if they featured black singers and dancers, "Sing Along With Mitch" and "Lawrence Welk" made even the whitest film look like a Spike Lee joint.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
So were the "natives" in "Gilligan's Island."
Old 03-29-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetcory View Post
I’m black and a fan of them, but most Wes Anderson movies are aggressively white.
I don't know about that.

Royal Tenenbaums has one major black character who's a big part of the story. The Darjeeling Limited is set in India. The titular hotel of The Grand Budapest Hotel is owned by a guy who...I'm not sure where's he's supposed to be from, but it's somewhere in the Near Eastern region. (That character is arguably the main character of the movie.) The Life Aquatic has a pretty multicultural cast.

Moonrise Kingdom is, I think, his most "white" movie.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:46 PM

It's not that all the actors are white that creeps me out. It's that they're acting soooo white...

It's the Golly Gee Willikers! fakey wholesomeness.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I agree for the most part although Danny Glover played a prominent role in The Royal Tenenbaums. Here's the thing about movie productions being accused of racial bias in casting that I'm confused about (and I don't want to start a hijack): does Wes Anderson have actors in mind while he's creating? If not, does he send out a casting call stating that he is principally interested in ONLY white actors auditioning? Is he making his creative choices based on his personal experiences, ones in which while growing up he was surrounded only by white people? I remember the great advice given to budding authors: "Write about what you know."
Old 03-30-2020, 12:49 PM

Check out his AmEx commercial. My simplification is that Anderson is kinda like Tim Burton, but with a 1950's national geographic, pastel aesthetic instead of a creepy 1980's goth one.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I'm also a fan of his movies, but I have to agree. While there are people of color in his movies and he does seem to be trying, his overall point of view comes from a very specific white perspective, where the boarding school kids of Rushmore are kind of the default and other people are interesting for how they deviate from that norm.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:19 PM

My first thought was "A Fish Called Wanda."

But for 'whitey' white, I think my vote actually goes to any of those 'we got a dog and now hilarity has ensued' movies. I'm specifically thinking of "Beethoven", but there are others.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
I'm also a fan of his movies, but I have to agree. While there are people of color in his movies and he does seem to be trying, his overall point of view comes from a very specific white perspective, where the boarding school kids of Rushmore are kind of the default and other people are interesting for how they deviate from that norm.
Really? Again, I have to refer to Tenenbaums but Glover didn't seem to deviate from the well-mannered, straight laced, eccentric mannerisms of the whites in that movie.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

The other non-white character in The Royal Tenenbaums was Pagoda, played by Kumar Pallana, and clearly Indian.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:48 PM

Anderson has been accused of cultural appropriation and of 'tokenism', but that's a far cry from his movies being "aggressively white." I just don't see how he fits this particular label. He may be fascinated with "exoticizing" and I can see how he's sort of a throwback to the "orientalist" genre, but even if that's something you object to, it's still a very different scenario than being "the whitest movie[s] ever."
Old 03-30-2020, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

One more oddity with The Royal Tenenbaums; Ben Stiller's character looks, frankly, very Jewish and so do his sons (and they're named Ari and Uzi while his late wife was Rachael) while the rest of the family doesn't.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:28 PM

Well, his father's half-Hebrew but his kids were raised Mick Catholic.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Depending on how the Twitter bird flies you can find people unironically arguing that Asian and Hispanics are "White" and only Africans and possibly Indians are "People of color".

Arguing about diversity on Twitter (or on the internet in general) is always a lost-cause because there's always the type of person who argues that the NBA is the most "diverse" sports league because it's 75% African-American and you can't get more diverse than that.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
It's rated 4.9 on IMDB, so it probably isn't very good.
With only 173 votes, and sadly half of those are probably people who worked on the film and their friends and family.

Here's a review with a trailer that confirms everyone's suspicions.

https://www.filminquiry.com/what-lov...e-2020-review/
Old 03-30-2020, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by installLSC View Post
Any Merchant/Ivory film that isn't set in India.
Along similar lines, I thought of suggesting David Lean's Dr. Zhivago but I then realized the lead was played by Omar Sharif who was Egyptian. Instead, I'll substitute Ryan's Daughter which now seems pretty white even though at the time the film was set, the Irish, while obviously looking white, were not considered truly "white" by the British.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 03-30-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Birth of a Nation was the first film that popped into my head when I saw this thread. But my next thought was, based on what I know of the plot there have to be some black characters. But would any African American actors agree to be part of such a blatantly racist film? And would someone who would produce such a film actually hire them? Yeah, it makes complete sense that they would use white actors in blackface.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Hamsandwich View Post
Really? Again, I have to refer to Tenenbaums but Glover didn't seem to deviate from the well-mannered, straight laced, eccentric mannerisms of the whites in that movie.
So he acted like a white person who happened to be black?