Old 03-27-2020, 05:58 AM

Face the Music - Chuck Prophet

This is the first in a sporadic series of posts on music I find on Youtube. These days many of us have a lot of free time on our hands, so I thought I'd share some of the better things I find as I come across them.

Lately I've been watching quite a bit of Chuck Prophet. A rocker in the Tom Petty vein, he's been putting out music for over 30 years, but despite appearing on David Letterman, he hasn't quite cracked the big-time. He seems to be one of those performers whose studio albums fail to capture the energy and fun of his live concerts as he jokes around, and engages his audience.

His songs have catchy choruses and tons of twangy guitar. He seems a mellow, down-to-earth California surfer guy, favoring Squier Teles and Strats, instead of the pricier models most professionals use. As a classic rock fan I love guitar solos, and Chuck provides a much-needed fix I seldom find in today's music.

His Letterman appearance features a performance of, "Doubter out of Jesus", is maybe one of his best live performances. While the nature of a Letterman appearance makes his usual audience banter impossible, he makes the most of having The World's Most Dangerous Band to work with.

Here is his Letterman performance of, "Doubter out of Jesus."
One of his more straight-forward rockers. Never saw tubular bells put to better use in rock.

"Summertime Thing", from 2002, is possibly his most successful song. Here is an intimate performance where he's headlining. It shows how well he connects with an audience. Here's another performance on a bigger stage, performing in what looks to be one of those all-day concerts with many bands.

"Jesus was a Social Drinker"
, a mellow, slyly humorous tune. Something a little different.

Here, Chuck performs one of his more popular songs, "You Did (Bomp Shooby Dooby Bomp)" Looks to be his usual, end-of-concert jam. Great fun, and a great opportunity for him to stretch out on the guitar. Here he is on, "Live at Daryl's House", with Daryl Hall. Daryl should get someone busy uploading hi-res versions, but the sound is fine.

Well, that's more than enough, I expect. Hope someone enjoys these even half as much as I did.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Yeah. Never heard of him, but there is a lot to like among his songs. He's now in my small Spotify library.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:11 AM

Chuck Prophet is fantastic. One of the best concerts I've ever seen in my life. Great sound, lot of energy. It didn't hurt that we were probably 20 feet from the band, and the room wasn't super packed. Though that might be the reason I haven't seen him come back to Houston...

I enjoyed my stay in the age of miracles.

EDIT: Thank you for all of the links.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 03-27-2020 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Chuck Prophet is fantastic. One of the best concerts I've ever seen in my life. Great sound, lot of energy. It didn't hurt that we were probably 20 feet from the band, and the room wasn't super packed. Though that might be the reason I haven't seen him come back to Houston...

I enjoyed my stay in the age of miracles.

EDIT: Thank you for all of the links.
Oh, I am jealous. A concert is just about my most favorite thing in the world, and Chuck's concerts look like a blast. There are many more videos of him, but I left it for others to discover. On the occasion that he makes an actual, "music video" though, they aren't at all what you'd expect. Very weird, but at least, very interesting.

Last edited by Face Intentionally Left Blank; 03-27-2020 at 08:26 AM.