Old 08-06-2019, 08:39 AM

Crimes of the Big Bang Theory characters

What could the BBT characters be charged with (I'll allow the crimes that they might be acquitted of - as long as they could be reasonably arrested and charged, it counts).

Off the top of my head

1) Sheldon - adulteration of food (putting bug parts in Leonard's food - possibly acquitted because of lack of intent to harm)

2) Penny - battery and trespass (beat up the guy who stole Sheldon's stuff)

3) Howard - destruction of government property, stalking

4) Leonard - destruction of property (one elevator)

5) Raj - public drunkeness, maybe?
Old 08-06-2019, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Sheldon, Leonard, Raj & Howard - Trespassing & Theft (Went into movie house's office and stole the film "Raiders of the Lost Ark."). Could also be considered starting a riot.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 08-06-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Sheldon, Leonard, Raj & Howard - Trespassing & Theft (Went into movie house's office and stole the file "Raiders of the Lost Ark."). Could also be considered starting a riot.
Good one!
Old 08-06-2019, 08:49 AM

Leonard - espionage; was going to share info with Joyce Kim, which Sheldon inadvertently prevented.

Leonard and Raj - solicitation; hired a prostitute for Howard in Las Vegas

Leonard and Sheldon - breaking and entering; they went into Penny's apartment without permission to clean while she was asleep.

Sheldon - destruction of property; the Kripke lab prank.

Almost everyone - multiple instances of unauthorized access of government property for personal use.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Sheldon & Kripke both committed vandalism on each other's offices, Kripke with helium and Sheldon with foam, which could also be considered assault.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:00 AM

Pretty sure Howard's got a couple sexual assaults under his belt, too. At least one attempt that ended up with a bloodied nose (Penny, natch) that I can remember. Pretty sure he actually got his hands and/or lips on at least one someone either seen or discussed, but details are not coming to mind. Also, that whole thing with the RC cars and cameras ended up in creepshot territory, but...it's probably unfair to blame Howard for most of that.

I think throwing out other people's property without their permission (barring a hoarding situation) is petty theft, so Penny's guilty of that at least twice. (Ex she was angry at, Leonard.)

Pretty sure the boys have committed fraud at least a couple times, but the only example coming to mind (falsifying the data when they were at the North Pole to get Sheldon off their back) is only an ethical issue, not a legal one.

Sheldon, of course, had a whole episode of fighting against traffic tickets that he felt were unfair. (Although they totally were.)
Old 08-06-2019, 09:02 AM

Oh, yes. Amy broke Penny's nose during a fight with Bernie - assault (the fact that she was trying to hit Bernie doesn't help).

Bernie - various biohazard rules were apparently broken (some verging on bioterrorism).
Old 08-06-2019, 10:12 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

It's heavily implied that Stuart committed both arson and insurance fraud in burning down his comic book store.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 08-06-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

They've all committed fornication, and twice Sheldon has cross dressed (a French maid and Wonder Woman).

They are definitely guilty of corrupting a minor, turning Dennis Kim from a promising 15 year old college student into a hound dog.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
They've all committed fornication...
If fornication is a crime, even Sheldon's mother is guilty.

And didn't Penny, Bernadette and Amy steal clothing from the clothing donation bin?

And Sheldon destroyed Leonard's transporter toy, then lied about it.

And what about all that liquid helium that Leonard and Sheldon bought... then didn't buy... then bought... then didn't buy.

And Sheldon was actually tased for trespassing onto Skywalker Ranch.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
And Sheldon destroyed Leonard's transporter toy, then lied about it.
I may be mis-remembering, but I think Sheldon destroyed his transporter toy, then tried to swap his with Leonard's.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Is it a crime to burn up a van belonging to Richard Feynman?

ETA: Speaking of vans, Leonard, Raj & Howard get stoned on the cookies given to them by the two fifty-ish ladies VW Microbus and wearing tie-dye Grateful Dead t-shirts.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 08-06-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
I may be mis-remembering, but I think Sheldon destroyed his transporter toy, then tried to swap his with Leonard's.
Right, but swapping his broken toy with Leonard's unbroken one would constitute a crime.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:52 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
It's heavily implied that Stuart committed both arson and insurance fraud in burning down his comic book store.
I always assumed that the others suspected him of arson, but that this was just another unfortunate event in Stuart's pathetic life. He may have been seriously depressed but I never got the impression that he would resort to crime.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

If Howard had contested his mother's will, any semi-competent attorney could make a case for Stuart using undue influences to get Debbie Wolowitz to leave her estate to him.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 08-06-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
4) Leonard - destruction of property (one elevator)
It was actually Sheldon who took the rocket fuel from Leonard and put it down in the elevator, pushed Leonard out and pressed the button (thus saving Leonard's life, BTW). Leonard just made it without taking into consideration the size factor.

Howard did a lot of bad stuff with government property. He got a rover stuck on Mars and then erased a bunch of data. He took over government drones to track down women on a TV show. He took home a robotic hand for "personal" used. And on and on.

Sheldon roamed the cafeteria at night, possibly taking things and scaring the cleanup crew. But the dumping of the foam in Kripke's lab has to rank as his worst crime. The damage would have been very costly.

Bernadette admitted to crossing EBola with the common cold and then losing the sample.

Sheldon and James Earl Jones played a prank on Carrie Fisher. Apparently JEJ was violating a restraining order. So Sheldon was abetting.

Sheldon ran a red light due to Penny not having adhesive ducks.

There were several mentions of incidents in Sheldon's childhood that crossed some lines. E.g., trying to buy yellow cake uranium. Putting Snowball into a homemade CAT scanner and setting it on fire would constitute animal abuse.

Penny regularly admitted to spitting on certain people's food at the Cheesecake Factory.

People drove drunk from time to time. E.g., Penny with Leonard's mother after hitting the bar at the CF.

Penny destroyed a guy's iPod. Then Raj finds a broken iPod and says he's going to sell it on eBay with a false description. (Not the same iPod. Different colors. Odd that.)
Old 08-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
I always assumed that the others suspected him of arson, but that this was just another unfortunate event in Stuart's pathetic life. He may have been seriously depressed but I never got the impression that he would resort to crime.
At the rate they rerun this show, I'll see that episode again within the next few days and can say with greater authority what's causing me to remember it the way I did.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Sheldon staying overnight at the university is a crime, violating property codes.

Taking clothes from outside drop off boxes is a very gray area of law, but breaking into them is illegal. And despicable.

Sheldon broke into Howard's car, which was in his parking spot.

While Penny mentioned spitting on people's food, doing so would have had her fired on the spot. I think it was just another one of those teasing Sheldon moments.

Carrie Fisher's "That's not funny, James" still ranks as one of my favorite Big Bang lines.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 08-06-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:11 PM

Sheldon's sister assaulted him in his groin area, repeating a pattern she established in childhood.

And that doctor locked the guys into his basement while they were playing with his "toys".

Sheldon violated Howard's parking space, claiming it was still his.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Didn't they use a laser to blow up the moon once?
Old 08-06-2019, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Most cities inspect apartment buildings at least once every two years. The landlord must have racked up some heavy duty fines not fixing the elevator, especially if they had physically handicapped people living in the building.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Howard gave Penny a teddy bear with a hidden camera in it.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:28 PM

How were they able to send Sheldon a citation when the trafficcam saw him driving Penny’s car?
Old 08-06-2019, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

When Howard hooks up with Penny friend Christy Vanderbel *the whore of Omaha), it's implied he does something with Penny's stuffed bear collection. Exactly what I do not want to know.

And Raj's deaf girl friend Emily was a gold digger, but that is more unethical than illegal.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:37 PM

Howard drove the wrong way on a one-way street. (Speeding?)

Penny, Bernadette and Leonard stalked and spied on Amy and her date.

Howard took Raj's helicopter apart and couldn't reassemble it.

Raj snooped in Emily's apartment, breaking her nightstand.

Last edited by panache45; 08-06-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:40 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
How were they able to send Sheldon a citation when the trafficcam saw him driving Penny’s car?
The ticket was sent to Penny and since she couldn't afford any more points, she ratted out Sheldon.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Sheldon gets his driving learner's permit by bugging out the instructor. This is not the first or last time Sheldon used such a tactic to get what he wanted.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Amy also was drunk in public. And she also brought the smoking monkey from her experiment home, which is no doubt against the university's and city's laws about keeping wild animals and smoking .
Old 08-06-2019, 01:30 PM

The guys were disposing of Roger Abbott's belongings, which were probably University property. And Raj made off with his pen, and Sheldon popped his champagne bottle.

And Penny's brother was a drug dealer.

And didn't Bernadette wear a wire, to spy on the other guys?

I'm sure Leonard's mother was guilty of some crime, but I don't know what. Child abuse? Spouse abuse?

Last edited by panache45; 08-06-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:34 PM

Bernadette often offered and, I believe in some cases gave away, pharmaceutical samples. Wouldn't this be practicing medicine without a license? (Yeah, she's a doctor, but it's a Ph. D, not an M.D.)
Old 08-06-2019, 01:41 PM

In the parking spot epi, there was a lot of law-breaking. Bernadette admitted to keying Amy's car. Amy illegally parked in the spot (and got towed). Sheldon stole Howard's valuable Iron Man mask.

In an episode where the guys were supposed to be working in a clean room Howard lets in a pigeon which ultimately leads to them destroying university records.

Sheldon has frequently violated restraining orders. Sheldon has a few restraining orders.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
It was actually Sheldon who took the rocket fuel from Leonard and put it down in the elevator, pushed Leonard out and pressed the button (thus saving Leonard's life, BTW). Leonard just made it without taking into consideration the size factor.
Making an explosive in an apartment building is probably illegal all by itself; Leonard is responsible for all the damage, since he created the situation - Sheldon mitigated the situation by putting the stuff in the elevator, but Leonard is the guilty party (if Sheldon hadn't been there, and been quick to react, Leonard would be responsible for more destruction and some deaths).

Quote:
The guys were disposing of Roger Abbott's belongings, which were probably University property. And Raj made off with his pen, and Sheldon popped his champagne bottle.
Since they were assigned by the university to dispose of the property, I think they're in the clear for that.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:49 PM

Todd Zarnecki hacked into Sheldon's World or Warcraft account and stole his valuable possessions. He then steals Sheldon's Klingon bat'leth.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
They've all committed fornication, and twice Sheldon has cross dressed (a French maid and Wonder Woman).

They are definitely guilty of corrupting a minor, turning Dennis Kim from a promising 15 year old college student into a hound dog.
As noted, fornication is not a crime. Neither is cross-dressing.

As for Dennis Kim, he found that girl himself, got himself interested, and himself followed her into debauchery. The guys were notably unsuccessful at even getting started trying to talk to a specific girl to get her interested. All they are responsible for is the "bring your daughter to work day" thing which put the two people in proximity. They had the intent but not the execution.

Quote:
If Howard had contested his mother's will, any semi-competent attorney could make a case for Stuart using undue influences to get Debbie Wolowitz to leave her estate to him.
I doubt it. They invited him, he was working for compensation, they left him alone with her. All he did was the job he was being paid for. His only crime is not being so disgusted by her that he couldn't do the job.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Didn't they use a laser to blow up the moon once?
They had it set on "stun".

In addition to the elevator, they also destroyed their apartment's front door with their fighting robot. And then in the battle with Kripke's they knocked off a door at CatTech. The first might be civil given being tenants, but the latter is definitely criminal.

Sheldon stole Penny's clothes from the laundry and threw them onto power lines. Expecting her to somehow safely retrieve them. (He'd be in real trouble if she died doing that.)

Penny ruined Sheldon's cushion for his spot with a paintball. Eventually fixed but it didn't feel the same (until he was districted by Leonard revealing a fraud involving Chinese restaurants).
Old 08-06-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Sheldon stole Penny's clothes from the laundry and threw them onto power lines. Expecting her to somehow safely retrieve them. (He'd be in real trouble if she died doing that.)
Ninja'd

RE - Sheldon throwing the clothes onto the power lines? Would this be a simple littering charge or would some more serious charge be appropriate due to the involvement of public utilities? Would it be the exact same charge if he had just thrown them out onto the street?

One more incident that that may or may not be a criminal act on Sheldon's part. Sheldon got "something from the School of Pharmacology" in order to help Leonard woo Mrs Latham.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:44 PM

Leonard, Howard and Raj committed fraud by creating a dating profile in Sheldon's name (which led to him meeting Amy).
Old 08-06-2019, 04:51 PM

Raj totally exposed himself in the coffee shop.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Raj totally exposed himself in the coffee shop.
And an intoxicated Sheldon exposed himself while giving a speech.

ETA - added link

Also, would the electrified net the gang set up as a burglar trap be criminal?

Last edited by Alpha Twit; 08-06-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:17 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizor View Post
Leonard, Howard and Raj committed fraud by creating a dating profile in Sheldon's name (which led to him meeting Amy).
Not hardly. They put everything in accurately and there was no intent to deceive for monetary gain, etc. Besides, if lying on a profile at a dating site is a crime, half the country would be in jail.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:23 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

In re-reading some of the other posts I just have to say that y'all either don't know squat about our legal system and laws or....nah, I got nothing else. Everybody look up the difference between an accident and a willful act or negligence. For example, Todd was completely within his rights to disarm Sheldon of his bat'leth. Sheldon had violated Section 417 PC of the California Penal Code. Of course, Todd then becomes a criminal by not reporting the incident to the police and turning over the weapon, but taking it was perfectly legal and justified.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:45 PM

Howard's hair. I stand by what I wrote!
Old 08-06-2019, 08:15 PM

Sheldon cut the power to the whole building in a fit of pique. Plus his emergency drills have to be disturbing the peace in some way.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

And those "wildly carcinogenic" evacuation paths. Probably an EPA violation or something.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:55 AM

Moving violations:

In "The Love Car Displacement" Leonard is going 120mph (!) and a siren is then heard. Apparently Sheldon can tell that a police car has aluminum wheels. Just before this Howard threw a walkie-talkie out the window. Significant littering there.

In "The Explosion Implosion" Howard lets Sheldon drive his car. First, it turns out, Sheldon is not driving in either lane. Then Sheldon takes off and gets pulled over. He tells the cop he was going 112mph.

In "The Monetary Insufficiency" Leonard points out that Sheldon is driving a stolen car with a dead hooker in the trunk after Sheldon stops at a red light.

Last edited by ftg; 08-07-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Sheldon throwing Penny's clothes on the power lines without the permission of their owner definitely brings some vandalizing charges into the equation.

As Priya pointed out, several clauses of his roommate agreement are illegal.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

In The Einstein Approximation Sheldon stays in a mall store after hours and is caught by a security guard in the store's ball pit. The guard doesn't call the police because he was a nephew that is special, too.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:18 AM

Is soliciting prostitutes in Vegas a crime? I thought prostitution was legal in Nevada.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Prostitution is legal in parts of Nevada. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Nevada
Old 08-07-2019, 04:03 PM

In "The Peanut Reaction" Sheldon is at a Best Buy-type store and while getting a gift for Leonard he ends up acting like an employee. Including "breaking" into the sales system and placing orders. Even though "1234" is hardly a secure password, such actions violate Federal law.

In "The Irish Pub Formulation" Sheldon is playing a text-based adventure game (possibly Zork) using an emulator. The use of such emulators to play copyrighted games is a no-no. Some companies sue and since copyright violation is now a criminal matter there's that as well.