Old 10-19-2018, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Wait, Subaru Foresters are also a symbol of lesbianism? That means that there isn't one single straight woman in the entire state of Montana! No wonder I had such a hard time getting a date!
Old 10-19-2018, 08:33 AM

I'm familiar with all of these signifying links, but I've noticed over the years that more often than not, people don't know them. You can't assume anything, one way or the other.

Pinky rings were also worn by some lesbians as a signifier when I was young.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
Looks like a lot of you missed Bound, a pretty cool movie in which the meaning of a labrys pendant was stated outright.
Not the kind of lesbian movie Iím usually interested in.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Wait, Subaru Foresters are also a symbol of lesbianism?
Yup, and for good reason. https://www.theatlantic.com/business...sbians/488042/
Old 10-19-2018, 01:16 PM

Anecdote: many years ago my wife and I were looking for wedding music on CD. We stopped at a small mom & pop music and book store that had a profusion of rainbows displayed. My wife asked the proprietor if the rainbows were in support of gay rights.

With obvious indignation, the merchant drew herself back and sputtered, "This is a CHRISTIAN store! The gays STOLE the rainbow from GOD!"

How Promethean of them!
Old 10-19-2018, 05:10 PM
Ice Bear, Honey Bear.
Charter Member

Another lesbian checking in... it's a pretty old and now obscure symbol. As seen in this thread, a lot of lesbians wouldn't even recognize it. So I doubt that's your coworker's intentions. If it is, good for her, and if it's not, I seriously doubt lots of strangers will be assuming she's gay when she's not. Just that she likes axes, perhaps.

Last edited by Trafalgar Laura; 10-19-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:57 PM

Ahemm ... Any ... Good pickup lines down in that direction. You know, like ... "Wanna axe some bushes" or "My rusty lybris needs some oiling ..." I can see even more potential if that was gay guy symbol.

Last edited by yo han go; 10-19-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:44 PM
Ice Bear, Honey Bear.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo han go View Post
Ahemm ... Any ... Good pickup lines down in that direction. You know, like ... "Wanna axe some bushes" or "My rusty lybris needs some oiling ..." I can see even more potential if that was gay guy symbol.
"May I axe for your number?"
"Excuse my boldness, but I noticed that fine axe from clear across the room."
Old 10-19-2018, 10:18 PM

Just to add another data point: I had a college study partner and friend, who wore a labrys necklace explicitly as a symbol of her lesbianism. She explained it to me, after the TA teaching our Intro to Biblical Hebrew class, a closeted gay man himself, recognized it.

This was in Georgia, in the early 90s.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Laura View Post
"May I axe for your number?"
"Excuse my boldness, but I noticed that fine axe from clear across the room."
Kiss my axe! Also available in fine T-shirt form, although I'm reasonably sure Slaine wasn't a lesbian.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:24 PM

I read somewhere that having short nails is a sign of being a lesbian. In my case, it's because my nails are too brittle from all the meds I take -- does this mean I should start freaking out?

(Answer: No)
Old 10-20-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
It only took until post #14; this doesn't help what I already believed: that most people have no clue what "etiquette" means.
It took until post #2 for someone to tell you it's none of your business, with the implied course of action being to behave as you do with other things that are none of your business. If you don't know how to treat things that are none of your business, you're the one who doesn't know what etiquette is. Etiquette is for social lubrication. "It's none of your business" is an etiquette tip; you don't need to dress it up in fancy lace ruffles.

Still, if that weren't good enough for you or you were especially dense, it took until post #6 for someone to explicitly tell you "Let it drop." That is also an etiquette tip.

Be gracious toward those whom you ask for help or advice, that's another etiquette tip.

Right now, having said nothing about the necklace, you are in the most socially lubricious position you can ever hope for. Opening your mouth only makes room for your foot. If she doesn't know of the lesbian connection, it's not your place to protect her. (And anyway the thing you would be protecting her from is neither dire, nor likely.) If she does know about the connection, she deliberately didn't let you in on it. Other than the compliment I hope you offered, that's the end of it.

I'm about to completely breach the social lubricity concept I just mentioned, because I'll probably never meet you and am at all times just a hair's breath away from never reading this forum again. It feels to me like you actually came here to confess that you fancy this woman, and would be disappointed if she were a lesbian, and are dying to know. And possibly that you have a hangup about lesbians. That's what I get from the protectiveness, the curiosity, the shock, and the stubbornness/persistence you display here. Advice on dating in the workplace is "outside the scope of this comment." If I'm onto something there, get your intentions straight and ask again, just like with one of those magic 8-ball toys.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawndo with Electrolytes View Post
- a bunch o'shite -
Past the editing window so "poor man's Edit-to-Add":

breadth, not breath

Sometimes (maybe most times) etiquette is more about what you leave out than what you add.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

I'm with those who say proper etiquette lies in letting it drop where it is. Someone wears something, you ask hey what is that? they answer, you take the answer and thank them for it, the end.

And FWIW this one was new for me when it comes to something being a lesbian "signifier" emblem; apparently from some replies it was more so a generation ago and has since lost some currency. So I did learn something today.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:49 PM

Sometimes etiquette consists in asking yourself "how much is this about me?"

And, from the OP, apparently he considers her jewellery to be mostly about him:

Quote:
I was at work... I think highly of her.

I saw dangling...

My reaction...surprised me...

I was so taken aback...

I stopped and stared...

I was expecting...

I was literally at a loss for words...

It was my understanding...

...running through my head..

I'm worried about my own weird reaction...

I don't have any real explanation...

Should I just shrug and go on with my life?

...whether or not I acted weird...

...my own behavior...

Should I even bother at all?

should I clue her in...

all the years I've known her...

...should I just assume...
That level of concern about your own feelings and reactions in a trivial matter which has nothing to do with you is self-regarding to the point of narcissism. Genuine etiquette consists of not inserting yourself into other people's choices and considering them only from the perspective of how they affect you.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
I have a spartan helmet with molon labe, no - while I do believe in a version of the second amendment with regards to hunting and self defense weapons, I don't feel the need to go and get a machine gun ..
I've seen a number of Molon Labe T-shirts and tattoos, and been amused they were rendered in modern Greek letters instead of ancient.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I've seen a number of Molon Labe T-shirts and tattoos, ...
Tattoos? I'd have to say that a "molon labe" tramp stamp would probably convey a completely different message than those Spartans intended.