#201  
Old 08-16-2015, 11:40 AM
not what you'd expect not what you'd expect is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,531
Hey, Congrats youse guys!
  #202  
Old 08-16-2015, 03:25 PM
Johnny L.A. Johnny L.A. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 59,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliahna View Post
Congratulations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfool View Post
That's awesome! Many happy trails to you guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital is the new Analog View Post
Congrats! And nice understated post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Congrats to both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Congratulations! May you have a long and happy marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
Hey, Congrats youse guys!
Thanks for noticing me.

  #203  
Old 08-16-2015, 05:59 PM
needscoffee needscoffee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
I got married tonight.
Congratulations!!!!!
  #204  
Old 08-17-2015, 12:06 AM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze Sunny Daze is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 11,139
Congratulations! Would you like share any details? Did Tonka and Creamsicle participate?
  #205  
Old 08-17-2015, 10:10 AM
Cartooniverse Cartooniverse is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Betwixt My Ears
Posts: 12,438
Wahooooo!!! A long and deliriously happy life.
  #206  
Old 08-17-2015, 11:32 AM
Elendil's Heir Elendil's Heir is online now
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 78,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsun View Post
Congratulations! Would you like share any details? Did Tonka and Creamsicle participate?
And pictures. Gotta have pictures.
  #207  
Old 08-17-2015, 01:16 PM
Johnny L.A. Johnny L.A. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 59,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsun View Post
Congratulations! Would you like share any details? Did Tonka and Creamsicle participate?
Details? OK...

There's this girl, right? And we got married!

Seriously, let me see... We've known each other since high school. She lived across the street and two doors down from me. She got married, got divorced, joined the Army and flew Black Hawks in Iraq during the Gulf War, a couple more marriages, a couple more divorces... But she visited my dad whenever she was in town, and I visited her dad whenever I was in town. Lost touch for a while, until she sent me a letter after my dad died. I guess a year later I helped her out when her dad died. Just as I moved to Washington, she moved from Washington to Tennessee. She came back to the West Coast to get her nurse's training and moved in with me December 2010 and finished her BSN.

So. It was a small wedding. Me, The Bride, an officiant, The Bride's former boss, her former coworker (who still works for that boss) and her husband, and my boss. There's this little park thingy that looks like it's set up with a stage and a sunken viewing area in Blaine. You can see the marina and Drayton Harbor from there. (Fortunately the tide was in, so it's prettier than the Google picture.) We gathered in the 'stage' area and had a generic ceremony. (She's Christian, and I'm Heathen.) Photos were taken (with the sun in my eyes, dammit!) and then we went across the street to the steak house for some really excellent bacon-wrapped filet mignon.

Funny thing about her ring that I may as well share. We were engaged for a few months in 2004. My mom was dying at the time, and she gave me her wedding ring (from her second husband) to give to The Wife. Anyway a couple of months ago, when we decided to get married, I mentioned that my mom said the ring cost $13,000. The Wife-To-Be had to have it re-sized and the two rings made into one, and I asked her to have it appraised so I could put it on the insurance. She chided me when she got the ring back that she had to pay $360 for everything. She brought back two copies of the appraisal, and we read them together. She read out loud. She read the weight (1.13 ct.), the description, etc. When she got to the appraised value she read '"Appraise value ten thou..." Ten thousand, six hundred dollars?' See, when I said my mom said it cost $13,000, she thought I said thirteen hundred. She had no idea it was a five-figure ring. (Incidentally, the jeweler told me that diamonds were going through the roof in the '80s, so that's why the current appraised value is lower than the purchase price was.)

The Wife loves the ring (for itself, not the price), and jokes 'And it didn't cost you a penny!' I retort, 'Nope. It only cost my mother's life!' "p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
And pictures. Gotta have pictures.
Someone took some photos with The Wife's smartphone, the officiant took some photos, and my boss took some. I'll post one/some when I get them.
  #208  
Old 08-17-2015, 04:24 PM
Elendil's Heir Elendil's Heir is online now
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 78,794
Thanks! Congrats to you both.
  #209  
Old 08-29-2015, 08:14 AM
Cicero Cicero is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 9,236
Congratulations Johnny LA. I don't get here all that often anymore but I assume your lovely lady is not that lodger you had a few years back.

Anyway, good luck to both of you and we wish you all the best.
  #210  
Old 08-29-2015, 11:28 AM
Elendil's Heir Elendil's Heir is online now
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 78,794
Quite so. Still waiting on those pics, though....
  #211  
Old 08-29-2015, 11:57 AM
Johnny L.A. Johnny L.A. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 59,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Congratulations Johnny LA. I don't get here all that often anymore but I assume your lovely lady is not that lodger you had a few years back.
She is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Quite so. Still waiting on those pics, though....
I don't have any! The officiant, Wifey's friend, and my boss took pics. No one's sent me any!
  #212  
Old 08-30-2015, 12:01 AM
Elendil's Heir Elendil's Heir is online now
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 78,794
Ask politely, then demand. You're the groom, gol-durnit!
  #213  
Old 08-31-2015, 11:53 AM
Johnny L.A. Johnny L.A. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 59,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Ask politely, then demand. You're the groom, gol-durnit!
There are two strategies for arguing with a woman.

Neither one works.

EDIT: Whoops! I was still thinking of the bow tie.




.

Last edited by Johnny L.A.; 08-31-2015 at 11:53 AM.
  #214  
Old 09-01-2015, 09:28 AM
Elendil's Heir Elendil's Heir is online now
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 78,794
Happy birthday to Zoid, Cervaise, Spoons... and me!
  #215  
Old 09-01-2015, 09:42 AM
Spoons Spoons is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 15,038
Backatcha, Elendil's Heir! Hope you and Zoid and Cervaise have great birthdays today!
  #216  
Old 09-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Johnny L.A. Johnny L.A. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 59,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Happy birthday to Zoid, Cervaise, Spoons... and me!
Happy birthday to (collective) you!
  #217  
Old 09-01-2015, 11:41 AM
zoid's Avatar
zoid zoid is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago Il
Posts: 9,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Happy birthday to (collective) you!
To quote the venerable Sam Malone, "Ditto.
  #218  
Old 09-01-2015, 02:12 PM
OneCentStamp OneCentStamp is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Posts: 10,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
To quote the venerable Sam Malone, "Ditto.
Pretty sure that's Sam Wheat from Ghost. Sam Malone was that one from Cheers, wasn't he?
  #219  
Old 09-01-2015, 02:21 PM
zoid's Avatar
zoid zoid is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago Il
Posts: 9,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCentStamp View Post
Pretty sure that's Sam Wheat from Ghost. Sam Malone was that one from Cheers, wasn't he?
Yeah there's this great scene were Diane declares her love for him very eloquently and she's waiting for his response and he just says "Ditto", it's hilarious.
  #220  
Old 09-02-2015, 10:26 PM
Siam Sam Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 40,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCentStamp View Post
Pretty sure that's Sam Wheat from Ghost. Sam Malone was that one from Cheers, wasn't he?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
Yeah there's this great scene were Diane declares her love for him very eloquently and she's waiting for his response and he just says "Ditto", it's hilarious.
I remember the scene in Ghost but not the one in Cheers. Which one came first?
  #221  
Old 09-04-2015, 10:04 PM
NotherYinzer NotherYinzer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Left of central PA
Posts: 737
I had my thyroid cancer removed and my husband, Library1900, had his heart ablation! He's doing great so far -- no more A Fib or V Tach. Me, I'm waiting to hear if I need the radiation therapy.
  #222  
Old 09-28-2015, 01:18 PM
stillownedbysetters stillownedbysetters is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,092
I found out on Sunday that I am about to be a grandmother for the second time. This will happen sometime in late May or early June 2016. (happy dancing as I type)
  #223  
Old 09-29-2015, 10:59 AM
Annie-Xmas Annie-Xmas is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 49,652
I just became a great-great-great-great aunt! My sister's 18 year old great-granddaughter had a baby boy! Wow! My family is now five generations long.
  #224  
Old 10-06-2015, 11:44 AM
Atomic Mama Atomic Mama is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 837
Fifth Wedding Anniversary!

Yay! Chuck and I celebrated out FIFTH wedding anniversary on Sept. 17 ... we commemorated the occasion by adopting a bouncy SPCA adolescent kitty! THAT'll keep us young ... I'm soon-to-be 66 and Chuck is soon-to-be 72. The new addition's name is MicroBurst. To give y'all an idea of her energy levels
  #225  
Old 10-06-2015, 12:13 PM
Infovore Infovore is offline
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Somewhere fictional
Posts: 11,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Mama View Post
Yay! Chuck and I celebrated out FIFTH wedding anniversary on Sept. 17 ... we commemorated the occasion by adopting a bouncy SPCA adolescent kitty! THAT'll keep us young ... I'm soon-to-be 66 and Chuck is soon-to-be 72. The new addition's name is MicroBurst. To give y'all an idea of her energy levels
Congrats! And come on, you know the rules: Kitty pic, please!
  #226  
Old 10-07-2015, 08:18 AM
Atomic Mama Atomic Mama is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 837
Here is a linky to our happy new kitteh:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/Atomic_Mama/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>

I hope this works

I just checked the link and a few more photos turned up in a slide show ... enjoy!
  #227  
Old 10-07-2015, 09:20 AM
Infovore Infovore is offline
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Somewhere fictional
Posts: 11,157
Aww, cute!
  #228  
Old 12-15-2015, 10:56 PM
NotherYinzer NotherYinzer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Left of central PA
Posts: 737
After a total thyroidectomy in August and a round of Iodine 131 radioactive ablation, I have been declared cancer free!!
  #229  
Old 12-16-2015, 08:03 PM
Siam Sam Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 40,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotherYinzer View Post
After a total thyroidectomy in August and a round of Iodine 131 radioactive ablation, I have been declared cancer free!!
Good news indeed, especially for the holiday season.
  #230  
Old 12-17-2015, 05:24 AM
Sticks and Scones Sticks and Scones is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Close to the edge
Posts: 6,055
This past Saturday my boyfriend of 2 1/2 years asked me to marry him. (I said yes!)

He is not a doper, but the Mumpers know him as RT.
  #231  
Old 12-29-2015, 08:25 PM
Siam Sam Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 40,038
The wife reaches a milestone today (Wednesday, December 30.) It's her last day on the job. Since New Year's Eve is always a public holiday in Thailand in addition to New Year's Day, she finishes out the month today instead of tomorrow. For 30 (and a half!) years, since April 1, 1985, she has been an assistant professor at Chulalongkorn University, widely considered the top educational institution in this country. I've mentioned before that she is a civil servant, and it's true. Chula being government-run (although they are in the midst of privatizing), her position gives her the rank of a C9-level civil servant. Or gave her the rank, I'll be saying from tomorrow. That is quite high. For comparison, upcountry the provincial head of, say, Agriculture or Labor, any of the provincial offices of a ministry, carries the rank of C9.

2016 will be a year of transition for us. In addition to the wife's retirement, we're starting the process of getting her an Immigrant Visa to the US and may very well be moving back to our beloved Hawaii before the year is out. (She recently started a big project for a national think tank, one that will last two years, but the second year will entail just number crunching, and she can complete the task from anywhere in the world.)
  #232  
Old 12-29-2015, 11:46 PM
Elendil's Heir Elendil's Heir is online now
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 78,794
Thanks for the update, Siam Sam, and I hope the New Year unfolds just the way you like.

And happy birthday to BMalion!
  #233  
Old 12-30-2015, 01:33 PM
Tripler Tripler is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: JSOTF SDMB, OL-LANL
Posts: 7,162
I just retired from active duty Air Force, and landed a dream job at Los Alamos.

Same job as previous, now just a bigger yield.

. . . and my furniture just got delivered today. I am fully set.

Tripler
. . . and my transition to the Dark Side is complete.
  #234  
Old 12-31-2015, 10:53 AM
Elendil's Heir Elendil's Heir is online now
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 78,794
The Force is strong in this one.
  #235  
Old 12-31-2015, 11:26 AM
OneCentStamp OneCentStamp is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Posts: 10,046
Yesterday was my fifth wedding anniversary. Five = wood, so my wife got me some American Oak, in the form of a locally crafted small batch bourbon.

A couple weeks ago was my five year anniversary at work. Well, I actually hit the five year mark in July, but the company Christmas party was when I got a nice watch from my boss.
  #236  
Old 12-31-2015, 01:58 PM
Suburban Plankton's Avatar
Suburban Plankton Suburban Plankton is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 7,962
It was 25 years ago today that Rhiannon8404 and I had our first date.

Happy Anniversary, girl!
  #237  
Old 12-31-2015, 06:31 PM
Tripler Tripler is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: JSOTF SDMB, OL-LANL
Posts: 7,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCentStamp View Post
Yesterday was my fifth wedding anniversary. Five = wood, so my wife got me some American Oak, in the form of a locally crafted small batch bourbon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Plankton View Post
It was 25 years ago today that Rhiannon8404 and I had our first date.

Congratulations to both of you!

Tripler
A double-whammy!
  #238  
Old 02-09-2016, 04:58 AM
Mister Rik Mister Rik is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The bunghole of WA
Posts: 12,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggitCamara View Post
There's a reason I thought this up: on September 19th of this year, my little girl Lile Marķa was born!
3+ years late, but Lile Marķa shares my baby sister's birthday
  #239  
Old 02-11-2016, 06:12 PM
OneCentStamp OneCentStamp is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Posts: 10,046
I hit 10 years and 10,000 posts here at almost exactly the same time. Couldn't have planned it better!
  #240  
Old 02-13-2016, 06:14 PM
Tripler Tripler is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: JSOTF SDMB, OL-LANL
Posts: 7,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCentStamp View Post
I hit 10 years and 10,000 posts here at almost exactly the same time. Couldn't have planned it better!
Dang, I've been here fifteen years and haven't even hit 7k. What is it with you people?

Tripler
I play outside too much, methinks.
  #241  
Old 02-14-2016, 01:39 PM
Infovore Infovore is offline
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Somewhere fictional
Posts: 11,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripler View Post
Dang, I've been here fifteen years and haven't even hit 7k. What is it with you people?

Tripler
I play outside too much, methinks.
The one who always blows me away is Prof. Pepperwinkle, who's only been here since March of 2013 and already has over 33,500 posts. Now that's a dedicated Doper!
  #242  
Old 02-29-2016, 11:19 AM
Siam Sam Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 40,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
The wife reaches a milestone today (Wednesday, December 30.) It's her last day on the job. Since New Year's Eve is always a public holiday in Thailand in addition to New Year's Day, she finishes out the month today instead of tomorrow. For 30 (and a half!) years, since April 1, 1985, she has been an assistant professor at Chulalongkorn University, widely considered the top educational institution in this country. I've mentioned before that she is a civil servant, and it's true. Chula being government-run (although they are in the midst of privatizing), her position gives her the rank of a C9-level civil servant. Or gave her the rank, I'll be saying from tomorrow. That is quite high. For comparison, upcountry the provincial head of, say, Agriculture or Labor, any of the provincial offices of a ministry, carries the rank of C9.

2016 will be a year of transition for us. In addition to the wife's retirement, we're starting the process of getting her an Immigrant Visa to the US and may very well be moving back to our beloved Hawaii before the year is out. (She recently started a big project for a national think tank, one that will last two years, but the second year will entail just number crunching, and she can complete the task from anywhere in the world.)
And continuing on with our Year of Change, I have now left my small management position at the Bangkok Post newspaper, the largest of Thailand's two English-language dailies. I suspect many posters here have wondered just what it was old Siam Sam was doing over here, human trafficker probably being a top guess, but only a handful ever knew. Although I would point out that just because I was working at a newspaper, that doesn't mean I couldn't also be a human trafficker, heh.

I actually first came to Thailand as a Peace Corps Volunteer in the 1980s, which will probably come as a surprise to most posters, especially since I've never participated in Peace Corps discussions on the Board. The truth is I didn't think much of the Peace Corps operation in Thailand, but I liked living here and intended to come back. That intention strengthened upon meeting the future Mrs. Siam Sam at the University of Hawaii, where her office here in Bangkok had sent her to pick up a second master's degree in Biostatistics for use in her research.

But it's been 22 years since returning to Bangkok after uni in Hawaii, and we feel that's enough. We want to set up again back in our beloved Hawaii. We've just entered the next stage in getting the wife her Immigrant Visa to the US, and I'll be spending a good part of March wading through the paperwork. I'm also about to embark upon four months of dental work. The dental work should be finished by July, and that's about the time I figure to head for Honolulu and try to establish a domicile to make the US visa granters happy. I'll go first, and the wife will follow along after a month or so, depending on her visa status. And we're having our condo here in Bangkok appraised soon and will put it on the market.

It's shaping up to be a big year for us.
  #243  
Old 03-02-2016, 10:55 AM
Johnny L.A. Johnny L.A. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 59,794
I just resurrected a thread from 2013.

We adopted Tonka three years ago today. I think he may get some wet food tonight.
  #244  
Old 03-24-2016, 06:16 AM
jtur88 jtur88 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 14,329
In the past year, I've completely turned my life around. Legally blind for 30 years with continuously diminishing eyesight, I had given up my passion for traveling, and pretty much stayed home for the past 20 years. Then, a year ago, I finally broke down and started walking with a white cane, which I found to be tremendously liberating. I started to realize that I could do things that I had given up doing, particularly traveling.

So last summer (at age 76), I started looking at airline fares, and booked a flight, all by myself, to Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. Just got off the plane and started winging it. Took a minivan to Karakol, near the border with China, and checked into a hostel. Fell in love with the place. Since then I've been to sixteen countries, ten of them that I'd never been to before, from Moldova to Cambodia. Siam Sam, I was in Bangkok a week ago.

I do still have some vision, so I can be visually aware of my surroundings, but not perceptive of details.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-24-2016 at 06:18 AM.
  #245  
Old 03-24-2016, 11:03 AM
Sattua Sattua is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Close to home
Posts: 9,939
jtur88, that's awesome. You are far more adventurous than me.

My literary agent has my first novel on submission. She sent me the list of editors and houses--all the Big 5 are there, many of them multiple times, as well as some non-Big-5 heavy hitters. She sold a trilogy from a debut author for a six-figure advance last week, sooo ... here's hoping she can work some magic for me, too.
  #246  
Old 03-24-2016, 11:23 AM
Siam Sam Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 40,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Siam Sam, I was in Bangkok a week ago.
Where did you stay?
  #247  
Old 03-24-2016, 12:01 PM
jtur88 jtur88 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 14,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Where did you stay?
Floral Shire Hotel, near the airport in Lat Krabang. I flew into and out of Bangkok four times, and always went back there, they treated me like family.
  #248  
Old 03-24-2016, 03:45 PM
steatopygia's Avatar
steatopygia steatopygia is offline
Experimental FOC Test Pilot
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Idaho mostly
Posts: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sattua View Post
jtur88, that's awesome. You are far more adventurous than me.

My literary agent has my first novel on submission. She sent me the list of editors and houses--all the Big 5 are there, many of them multiple times, as well as some non-Big-5 heavy hitters. She sold a trilogy from a debut author for a six-figure advance last week, sooo ... here's hoping she can work some magic for me, too.
Good Luck!
  #249  
Old 03-24-2016, 03:46 PM
steatopygia's Avatar
steatopygia steatopygia is offline
Experimental FOC Test Pilot
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Idaho mostly
Posts: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In the past year, I've completely turned my life around. Legally blind for 30 years with continuously diminishing eyesight, I had given up my passion for traveling, and pretty much stayed home for the past 20 years. Then, a year ago, I finally broke down and started walking with a white cane, which I found to be tremendously liberating. I started to realize that I could do things that I had given up doing, particularly traveling.

So last summer (at age 76), I started looking at airline fares, and booked a flight, all by myself, to Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. Just got off the plane and started winging it. Took a minivan to Karakol, near the border with China, and checked into a hostel. Fell in love with the place. Since then I've been to sixteen countries, ten of them that I'd never been to before, from Moldova to Cambodia. Siam Sam, I was in Bangkok a week ago.

I do still have some vision, so I can be visually aware of my surroundings, but not perceptive of details.
Awesome on several levels.
  #250  
Old 03-24-2016, 05:43 PM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze Sunny Daze is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 11,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
And continuing on with our Year of Change, I have now left my small management position at the Bangkok Post newspaper, the largest of Thailand's two English-language dailies.

<snip>

But it's been 22 years since returning to Bangkok after uni in Hawaii, and we feel that's enough. We want to set up again back in our beloved Hawaii.

<snip>

It's shaping up to be a big year for us.
Congrats on all of the changes! Where in Hawai'i are you planning to move? (I'm sure you mentioned this already and I have skipped past it.) We occasionally talk about the Big Island, but the truth is we also like snow, so Hawai'i will probably remain a favorite vacation spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
We adopted Tonka three years ago today. I think he may get some wet food tonight.
Yay Tonka! I remember that he was originally considered quite sickly, but he seems to be doing very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In the past year, I've completely turned my life around. Legally blind for 30 years with continuously diminishing eyesight, I had given up my passion for traveling, and pretty much stayed home for the past 20 years. Then, a year ago, I finally broke down and started walking with a white cane, which I found to be tremendously liberating. I started to realize that I could do things that I had given up doing, particularly traveling.
Good for you! I hope to be half as adventuresome as you are someday. I'm glad you figured out a way to get back to what you love. I may start a thread on this, to counterpoint the one that's currently up about giving up things you love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sattua View Post
My literary agent has my first novel on submission. She sent me the list of editors and houses--all the Big 5 are there, many of them multiple times, as well as some non-Big-5 heavy hitters. She sold a trilogy from a debut author for a six-figure advance last week, sooo ... here's hoping she can work some magic for me, too.
Yay! Do you mind if I ask which genre? I've got my metaphorical fingers crossed for you.


No news on my side.. Just re-discovered this thread and wanted to acknowledge the latest news.

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 03-24-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017