Old 03-24-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsun View Post
Yay! Do you mind if I ask which genre? I've got my metaphorical fingers crossed for you.
I haven't read her pitch letter, so I'm not entirely sure, but she submitted it to Tor so I'm going to guess sci-fi, though the sci-fi element is extremely light.

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2016, 06:29 PM

Let me know if you need a beta reader. Sounds like this is right up my alley. Good luck!
Old 03-25-2016, 04:14 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsun View Post
Congrats on all of the changes! Where in Hawai'i are you planning to move? (I'm sure you mentioned this already and I have skipped past it.) We occasionally talk about the Big Island, but the truth is we also like snow, so Hawai'i will probably remain a favorite vacation spot.
Honolulu. I'm pretty much city-oriented, although after Bangkok, Honolulu may feel like Mayberry. Maybe the Makiki area to start.

The Big Island does get some snow you know, up on Mauna Kea.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 03-25-2016 at 04:15 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:02 AM

Yep. I like the Big Island for lots of reasons.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:28 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
... although after Bangkok, Honolulu may feel like Mayberry.
Heh. One NYC taxi driver was clearly annoyed at us four years ago. He kept trying to impress us with how large New York was, but we kept telling him how small it felt compared with Bangkok, which is much larger. He wasn't used to that.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:04 PM
Elephant Whisperer

So continuing further with our Year of Change, I now have a flight booked to Honolulu. August 1. And by sheer coincidence, really it is, that will also be the 25th anniversary of my first arrival there. I leave Bangkok that morning, and through the miracle of the International Date Line, it will be only 15 minutes later that same morning when I land in Honolulu.

I have secured a place to stay in the Nuuanu Valley, north of downtown, for the entire month of August and will commence apartment hunting right away to reestablish a domicile and satisfy US Immigration for the wife's visa. Hopefully, I can get Mrs. Siam Sam over there by October or November.

So that will put paid to my time in Thailand. I've spent 24 of the past 28 years here -- these last 22 years in Bangkok and two years up North in the late 1980s. A new chapter is about to open.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 04-22-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

You're going to have to change your Member name, you know.....
Old 04-24-2016, 09:24 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I'm considering "Honolulu Horace."
Old 04-24-2016, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Not " Maui Wowie! "?
Old 04-24-2016, 10:22 PM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

Charlie Chan would work well. Probably used already.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:24 PM
Elephant Whisperer

And since Charlie Chan is always played by a white guy anyway, it might work well.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:56 AM
Charter Member

Siam Sam, good luck with all that. I relocated to the Seattle area after 25 years in mainly China. It took a while. Plus a lot of vitamin D owing to the lack of sunlight. Hawaii is at least half Asian, and has sunlight, so I think you should be okay.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:03 AM
Elephant Whisperer

If I need vitamin D anywhere, it might be Thailand, where the long-term expats stay indoors due to the heavily oppressive climate. Especially in Bangkok and especially this time of year. Hawaii's much milder climate I'm definitely looking forward to again.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post
Siam Sam, good luck with all that. I relocated to the Seattle area after 25 years in mainly China. It took a while. Plus a lot of vitamin D owing to the lack of sunlight. Hawaii is at least half Asian, and has sunlight, so I think you should be okay.
Which half ?
Old 04-29-2016, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartooniverse View Post
You're going to have to change your Member name, you know.....
Why?
Old 05-06-2016, 05:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hmmm. Doper Milestones, eh?

Don't know if many people here remember me now - I only pop in about once a year, usually around May 5th when my WWII thread gets bumped.

But on February 29th of this year, the lovely Heloise and I celebrated our 12th (or 3rd ) wedding anniversary.

Also, on June 23rd of 2015, our son Julian was born. He'll be one year old in about 7 weeks! It's definitely THE milestone of my life, at my ripe old age! He's doing great, and is quite the charmer.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:59 AM

Wow! Congratulations, Coldfire!
Old 05-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

I remember you and your long distance relationship. Congrats on the anniversary and the son.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:06 PM

On April 29th, my second grandchild, a girl, was born right when she should have been (as opposed to my first grandchild who was 3 1/2 months early), and is healthy and lovely. Big brother is doing well, too, with very few repercussions from his early arrival.

I am so happy to have these beautiful little members of the next generation show up in time for me to get to know them and spend some time with them.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:24 PM

I guess I should mention that I finally got married, for the first time, less than a month before my 50th birthday

My wife has been married before, and has children, and her son has two children, so I've become an instant grandfather. And I pointed out to my mom that she's suddenly a great-grandmother, so she can stop nagging me for kids. My wife and I will not be having children (duh); my sister has taken care of providing a couple of natural grandchildren for my mom. And sorry, Dad, but I won't be continuing the family name.

Fun story:

My car broke down a few days before the wedding, and I didn't have the wherewithal to get it fixed in time, so my wife's maid of honor loaned us her car to tide us over until I got my car fixed (she had another car she could use in the meantime). After the wedding, we all went to my best friend's birthday party, which was happening the same day. (My best friend, Lewie, would have been my best man, but he suffered a stroke a few years ago and still can neither speak nor write.) After the birthday party, my wife and I, along with my best man, the maid of honor, and my sister and her husband, went to my favorite karaoke bar and had a good time. Then, it was back home for the wedding night. (Honeymoon will happen later.)

Shortly after returning home, there was a knock on the door. It was the maid of honor, asking for her car key. Okay, well, I thought we'd have her car for a few more days, but whatever. It was our wedding night and we had other things on our mind, so we handed over the key.

The next morning, the maid of honor returned the car key to us. It also so happened that, while the car was parked on the street near my apartment, some random asshole came along and smashed the rear window and the left-rear passenger door window.

I should mention that the maid of honor was not the first choice for the job. My bride had chosen somebody else, when our wedding was scheduled for early March. Circumstances forced us to postpone the wedding until late April, and the original maid of honor was not available. So my bride asked this other woman.

So, anyway, my understanding was that the maid of honor's insurance was going to take care of the damage. Imagine my surprise, a couple weeks later, when I got ambushed by the maid of honor ... and her lawyer. I was getting out of my car after a trip to Costco, and suddenly there was the maid of honor banging on my window before I could even get out of my car, and then once I got out of my car she started talking about paying for the damage to her car, and I'm all, "BWUH?!"

It seems that it wasn't HER insurance we were waiting for, it was MINE.

Lawyer says, "You have a nice car. You can sell it to pay for this."

I'm all, "Wait, wait, wait!" And thinking, "Fuck you, I'm not selling my ride!"

I excused myself to go inside to speak with my wife. It turns out that she thought this was something she could work out between friends. I told her, "Babe, you need to tell me stuff." I was blindsided.

So, together, my wife and I sat down (on the front porch), while "maid of honor" proceeded to scream profanity at my wife, threatening to sue us. I sat there calm and rational, promising to speak with my insurance agent. "Maid of honor" yelled, "You have until 9:00AM Monday to figure this out, and then I'm suing you!" Yeah, okay. Maybe tell us that earlier than late-afternoon on Friday.

They left, and then it occurred to me: "Wait a minute. She came and asked for the car key, and we handed it over. When we came home, I parked the car right in front of the building, in the same spot where I normally park my own car. Where I have parked my own cars for more than four years, with no trouble. I handed the key back to her, and then went about my wedding night business. She then, for reasons of her own, moved the car and parked it half a block away. After she parked the car, and then drove away in the other car she was using, at some point in the early morning hours, the windows got smashed."

I realized then that, when the damage happened, I was not in possession of that vehicle. It was in the possession of its owner. I was not responsible for it at that point.

I did make good on my promise to speak with my car insurance agent, and he agreed with my take: I was not in possession of the car when the damage happened.

My wife called the lawyer and pointed out the possession thing. She also mentioned the maid of honor's threats to visit our church and my job to raise hell about this.

A couple hours later, the maid of honor texted my wife to let her know that she'd found a way to pay for fixing the damage. I guess her lawyer told her she didn't have a case.

Anyway ... MARRIED! DRAMA!
Old 05-30-2016, 09:12 AM

I got married on Friday! No drama here! We've been together for 20 years so we figured it was about time.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:37 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Congratulations. Talk about a long engagement.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:48 AM

Technically we were only engaged a couple of months, that's when we bought the ring. We were just together for a long time. We always meant to make it legal, it just took a lot longer than anticipated.

Ironically, his mom said to us, "I wish [my other son] had lived together with his wife before they got married!" They are having serious marital difficulties, you see. And now they have two kids and can't stand each other. Very sad.

But me, I am happy!
Old 06-09-2016, 02:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfire View Post

Don't know if many people here remember me now - I only pop in about once a year, usually around May 5th when my WWII thread gets bumped.

But on February 29th of this year, the lovely Heloise and I celebrated our 12th (or 3rd ) wedding anniversary.

Also, on June 23rd of 2015, our son Julian was born. He'll be one year old in about 7 weeks! It's definitely THE milestone of my life, at my ripe old age! He's doing great, and is quite the charmer.
Wow, congratulations Coldfire and Heloise! That's totally awesome and happy for the 3 of you!
Old 06-09-2016, 02:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
Technically we were only engaged a couple of months, that's when we bought the ring. We were just together for a long time. We always meant to make it legal, it just took a lot longer than anticipated.

Ironically, his mom said to us, "I wish [my other son] had lived together with his wife before they got married!" They are having serious marital difficulties, you see. And now they have two kids and can't stand each other. Very sad.

But me, I am happy!
Congratulations Anaamika! that's a heckuva long whatever before tying the knot. Now, I hope I don't embarrass myself but your hubby is from Taiwan, correct? Did you do the whole proper Taiwan wedding banquet thing? That's a great wedding party!
Old 06-09-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post
Congratulations Anaamika! that's a heckuva long whatever before tying the knot. Now, I hope I don't embarrass myself but your hubby is from Taiwan, correct? Did you do the whole proper Taiwan wedding banquet thing? That's a great wedding party!
Well, his parents are from Hong Kong, but he's from America. But yes, his mom is going to throw us a banquet in August.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Best wishes to Anaamika, and congratulations to Mr. Mika!

Pics?

Regards,
Shodan
Old 06-09-2016, 12:27 PM
SDSAB

Congrats, Anaamika! My wife and I lived together for a year before we got married, having courted for four years before that, and I'm firmly convinced it can make a big difference for a couple in figuring out if they're well-suited for each other. We'll celebrate our 26th anniversary in August.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfire View Post

I was just thinking about you two the other day. Glad to see you're still going strong!
Old 06-14-2016, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Oh. June 11, 2016 made 10 years of marriage for Sr. Weasel and myself.

We have much to celebrate. We survived a couple harrowing years, bought a doublewide in our home state of Michigan not far from his Dad and step-Mom, we now both have jobs we truly enjoy (he got his Ph.D. in clinical psychology last year after seven grueling years and left academia to join a group psychology practice, best decision of his life. Short of marrying me, of course.) Now he is making (relative) bank, I am splitting my time between writing grants for a nonprofit DV and sexual assault organization with a mission close to my heart, and working on becoming a professional fiction writer. I am managing the household and we are saving for adoption. We are building a solid network of social support comprised of both family and friends... something we lacked for years as nomadic grad students.

This year has been not without its challenges (I was hospitalized twice and dealing with some medical stuff) but after a very rough stretch we finally have ''us'' back, and we would take this year over 2014 any day.

Here we are in 2006, at the tender age of twenty-three.

And this weekend, standing on our new deck.

Last edited by Spice Weasel; 06-14-2016 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:07 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Congratulations. We mark 22 years this week ourselves.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Seems to be the time !

Sunday was our 6th Anniversary. My Dearly Beloved and I ( improbably, because of the distance and location of our wedding ) wound up sitting in the church where we got married on the day and at the time of our wedding.

I'm a darned lucky fellah.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartooniverse View Post
Seems to be the time !

Sunday was our 6th Anniversary. My Dearly Beloved and I ( improbably, because of the distance and location of our wedding ) wound up sitting in the church where we got married on the day and at the time of our wedding.

I'm a darned lucky fellah.
Aww. June does seem to be a big wedding month. I had friends get married on the 8th this year and another one of our friends is on the 10th.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:11 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Our official date is in late April, when we registered at the Pathum Wan District Office in Bangkok, and as far as the Thai and US governments are concerned, that's when we were married. But families here never recognize that, so even though we were both in our 30s, we had to wait for the family ceremony to be held to be recognized by them. My mother-in-law picked the June date by consulting her regular fortune teller. The same as with Thais everywhere, the June date is the one we count for our marriage. We only use the April date for official documents.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
Oh. June 11, 2016 made 10 years of marriage for Sr. Weasel and myself.

We have much to celebrate. We survived a couple harrowing years, bought a doublewide in our home state of Michigan not far from his Dad and step-Mom, we now both have jobs we truly enjoy (he got his Ph.D. in clinical psychology last year after seven grueling years and left academia to join a group psychology practice, best decision of his life. Short of marrying me, of course.) Now he is making (relative) bank, I am splitting my time between writing grants for a nonprofit DV and sexual assault organization with a mission close to my heart, and working on becoming a professional fiction writer. I am managing the household and we are saving for adoption. We are building a solid network of social support comprised of both family and friends... something we lacked for years as nomadic grad students.

This year has been not without its challenges (I was hospitalized twice and dealing with some medical stuff) but after a very rough stretch we finally have ''us'' back, and we would take this year over 2014 any day.

Here we are in 2006, at the tender age of twenty-three.

And this weekend, standing on our new deck.
OK, looking at those photos, it's blatantly obvious that you are a fake internet person. The wedding photo clearly features a woman the same age as the woman in the later one. The guy is only a year or two older in the second photo than the first. You gotta be WAY more convincing with the Photoshopping than that to get by me!

(Seriously: yay and congrats!! I know it's been a rough time for you over the years).
Old 06-15-2016, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Wait.....that's the SAME COUPLE??

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2016, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
OK, looking at those photos, it's blatantly obvious that you are a fake internet person. The wedding photo clearly features a woman the same age as the woman in the later one. The guy is only a year or two older in the second photo than the first. You gotta be WAY more convincing with the Photoshopping than that to get by me!

(Seriously: yay and congrats!! I know it's been a rough time for you over the years).
You flatter me. I'll take it.

It's all him, really. Good lighting for me, but he still looks basically 20 years old. We went to the salon this weekend, and the lady talked to him like he was there to get a graduation haircut or something. I joke it's only a matter of time before people start giving me side-eye for robbing the cradle... but he is, in fact, two months older than I am. And if you look really close he has like three or four grey hairs now.

It's cute and funny right up until his clients meet him and say, ''Uh... you're my doctor?" He's used to it by now. And since most of his clients are kids, I think it kind of helps.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:21 PM

On June 5 which would have been the 67th (or 68th?) anniversary of my grandparents - my grandma passed away in December - I married my beloved. The mumpers know him as RT. Yesterday we moved into our new house. It's been quite a month so far.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:10 AM

I just finished my 20th year of teaching. I'm celebrating by taking the next couple of months off.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:03 PM
Elephant Whisperer

It's July 1 over here now, and thus begins my final month in Thailand. When I fly out of here on August 1, I will have spent precisely 22 years, 6 months, 2 weeks and 1 day in the Greater Bangkok area. That and my two years up North in the 1980s gives me almost a quarter of a century in Thailand under my belt.

I'll probably be posting less often in the coming weeks as we rush to put our affairs in order, plus we'll be at Angkor Wat in Cambodia for a few days. I'll disappear completely for a few weeks come August until I can get myself set up in Honolulu to some extent. But I'll still be around, as I have already extended both my Membership and my Custom Title another couple of years, to get that out of the way and not have to be bothered with keeping up on it.

A new chapter will soon begin.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:05 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
A new chapter will soon begin.
Beginning with a new username.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:17 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Well, I don't want too many changes all at once. Everything in moderation, ya know.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:27 AM

Sam, always enjoyed your posts, and I'm looking forward to your new perspective
Old 07-01-2016, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

I'm still voting for Maui Wowie or Hawai'i Harry.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2016, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

I'm Being Published!!

It's been a nerve-wracking 7 weeks since the offer letter but the proverbial ink (mostly digital ink) is now on the contract. The Story of Q: A GenderQueer Tale, a 97,000 word genderqueer coming-out and coming-of-age memoir, shall be published by Ellora's Cave.

It will be available in digital format first, on Ellora's Cave's own website, on Amazon, theoretically on ARe*, and on Kobo Books, and Barnes & Noble, and Apple.

http://www.arebooks.com/
http://www.amazon.com
https://store.kobobooks.com/
http://www.barnesandnoble.com
https://itunes.apple.com/us/genre/books

* ARe is a web site devoted to erotica titles, which makes sense for Ellora's Cave's traditional oeuvre, but less so for THE STORY OF Q. But if they want to carry it who am I to quarrel?

The book will also be available in physical form as a paperback book, something fundamentally important and viscerally appealing to my 20th-century experiences.

Ellora's Cave is a publisher focused until recently on steamy erotic romances. However, as their front page explicitly states, they are "now accepting new genres". I'm not 100% certain but I *think* my book will be printed under their new imprint "EC For Real", insofar as that is the one designated for memoirs, although it might also come out under "EC for LGBTQ", depending I suppose on whether that imprint is intended to incorporate LGBTQ nonfiction or will be focused on LGBTQ erotica and romance.

So they're doing new things, and I, as a newbie author, am definitely going to be doing new things, and I'm quite looking forward to the experience.

I have already had a leisurely chatty conversation with the editor, Susan Edwards, who will be working hands-on with me to refine and polish the manuscript; she began our conversation by asking what my preferred pronouns are, and expressed warmth and enthusiasm for the project, stating that this is a wonderful time for a genderqueer memoir to be hitting the market.

Due to the economic challenges of the publishing market, Ellora's Cave isn't directly able to engage the services of a publicity engine to promote their authors' books, so that will be up to me. I have no skills but I have my own personal publicity budget and an inclination to hire a professional publicist with it -- perhaps more than one. (If you have experience with a publicist you think would be a good match for this project, please get in touch with me!).

What I do have is a talk, which I have already been taking on the road, and I will be attempting to get myself booked more often now that I have a book coming out.

If you have a book club, LGBTQ center, sociology class, feminist discussion group, etc etc and would like to have a guest speaker / presenter, give me a holler

Last edited by AHunter3; 07-13-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:00 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
...A new chapter will soon begin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Beginning with a new username.
Quote:
Well, I don't want too many changes all at once. Everything in moderation, ya know.
Oh, I hope you keep your current username, even if you're not living there anymore.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:01 PM

On Monday, I was promoted from proposal writer to proposal manager.

Becoming a proposal manager has been my goal for the past 5.5 years -- since I switched careers from technical writing to proposal writing. Not only is it more challenging work that I think I'll enjoy/be good at, but when the time comes to leave my current company it will be much easier to find work, my earning potential has increased, and I can even consult after retirement if I want to. I'm about to turn 45, so it's kind of perfect timing: I'm definitely ready for more responsibility, and there is also still plenty of time to get "good" at this job. Or, at least, to get better: I actually started managing a proposal three weeks ago (Monday is just when I got/accepted the internal offer and made it official).

It feels a little surreal to have finally accomplished this long-term goal, but also pretty damn good. My joy is only tempered by not being able to tell my mom about it: she died 8 months ago, and this is my first major life event without her.

Yay, promotions!!
Old 07-13-2016, 09:54 PM
SDSAB

Congrats, and good luck!
Old 07-15-2016, 04:44 PM

Hello, dear Dopers! I have a milestone to announce. I am getting married tonight to Arrendajo. He's a swell guy in every way, and I dig him immensely. Earlier this week we scooted on our Vespas to Bandon Oregon from Eugene and stayed the night. Bandon is a small town on the southern coast of the state. There are some stunning rock formations close to the shore worth checking out if you're ever in the area. Our trip was about 270 miles (round trip) of gorgeous Oregon highways. While we rode I found myself thinking how lucky I am to have found a fun, smart and handsome scooting-loving man who makes me laugh.

If you come across this post, querido -- >X<

Old 07-15-2016, 04:49 PM
The Zeroeth Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootergirl View Post
Hello, dear Dopers! I have a milestone to announce. I am getting married tonight to Arrendajo. He's a swell guy in every way, and I dig him immensely. Earlier this week we scooted on our Vespas to Bandon Oregon from Eugene and stayed the night. Bandon is a small town on the southern coast of the state. There are some stunning rock formations close to the shore worth checking out if you're ever in the area. Our trip was about 270 miles (round trip) of gorgeous Oregon highways. While we rode I found myself thinking how lucky I am to have found a fun, smart and handsome scooting-loving man who makes me laugh.

If you come across this post, querido -- >X<

Congratulations! I can say without any bias whatsoever that Doper couples are awesome. May you have many, many happy decades together!