Old 10-19-2017, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Truly the finest, and healthiest poop in all the land. Even the President is envious of how great, truly great, that particular poop is. The Greatest in fact!!

IOW ...

Your rump humbled Trump!

Seriously, congrats. One of the ugly side effects of the disease is a reduced sense of trust in every other part of your body. Walking the right line between appropriate caution and paranoia is hard. Doing what it takes to close out other avenues of surprise early is all to the good.

Last edited by LSLGuy; 10-19-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:05 AM

I think now that my body is free of hair, I'm going to schedule an appointment with a dermatologist for a melanoma scan. I don't see anything odd, but it's one thing I can cross off my list.

Jeez, it sucks getting older! Your own body starts turning on you.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:20 AM

Yay!
Old 10-23-2017, 05:43 PM

I had the axillary lymph node ultrasound this morning, and the doctor did not see a need to do a needle biopsy, because they looked normal, as did the surrounding tissue.

Woo-hoo!
Old 10-23-2017, 07:48 PM

Yay!
Old 10-24-2017, 07:10 AM

nearwildheaven, that is really good news.

I'm done with round 2 of 12 chemo. (4 A/C + 12 Taxol). I've had good days and bad days, but every day is one step closer to the end of the chemo. Keep the faith and keep fighting, my friend!
Old 10-24-2017, 08:13 PM

I've always thought breast cancer only strikes strong women. Keep up the good fight!
Old 10-25-2017, 01:06 AM

Excellent news!
Old 10-27-2017, 07:35 PM

My mother is having a very difficult time comprehending that my surgery will probably be an outpatient procedure, and I will be headed home within a few hours. But then again, she also has a hard time believing that women in labor are not transported to multiple rooms, the way they were when she had us kids.

That's parents for you, I guess.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
My mother is having a very difficult time comprehending that my surgery will probably be an outpatient procedure, and I will be headed home within a few hours. But then again, she also has a hard time believing that women in labor are not transported to multiple rooms, the way they were when she had us kids.

That's parents for you, I guess.
How do you do with anesthesia? My lumpectomy was supposed to be outpatient, but I reacted so badly to the anesthesia that they had to keep me overnight. I've never felt so sick in my life. I've had general anesthesia so seldom in my life that I wasn't expecting that to happen.

The next time I had to have general anesthesia, acting on advice I got here at the Dope, I told everyone--nurses, aides, doctors, clerks, janitors, parking garage people (okay, maybe not everyone)-- that I had a bad experience with anesthesia in the past, and this time the anesthesiologist put a patch behind my ear and I had no problem at all.

Part of it was the time under. For the lumpectomy, I was under for 4 hours--the surgeon was very careful, wanted to get clean margins, and not mangle my boob too much. She did a very nice job. For the later procedure (removing uterine polyps) I was under less than an hour.

Anyhoo, keep this in mind. Might as well get the anti-nausea med going into it.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:53 PM

I've never had general anesthesia, other than sodium pentothal when I had dental surgeries 30-plus years ago. IDK what they plan to do for me; my surgeon will have more information on Monday. My cancer is just below the surface, so getting it out shouldn't be too difficult.

I've also heard that the lymph node dissection leads to a longer recovery than the breast incision, because they have to cut through muscle, and that's also why they can't use local anesthesia with sedation.

For the first time, tonight I am experiencing real, honest fear, although our wonky weather has to be a contributing factor.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:20 PM

It's normal to have some fear.

I had bilateral mastectomy plus sentinel lymph node dissection, no reconstruction. I was done and home in a few hours. No post-surgical pain. (I had some pain from the binder hitting my underarm, but nothing much at the actual surgical sites.) The Jackson-Pratt drains were a bit itchy and weird, but not unlike the Holy Hand Grenade.

Last edited by susan; 10-27-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:37 AM

I had five lymph nodes removed-- all clear, yay! Not even a whisper of a problem.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:52 PM

A little motivation for us all:
Quote:
Greater Survival After Breast Cancer in Physically Active Women With High Vegetable-Fruit Intake Regardless of Obesity

Purpose

Single-variable analyses have associated physical activity, diet, and obesity with survival after breast cancer. This report investigates interactions among these variables.

Patients and Methods

A prospective study was performed of 1,490 women diagnosed and treated for early-stage breast cancer between 1991 and 2000. Enrollment was an average of 2 years postdiagnosis. Only seven women were lost to follow-up through December 2005.

Results

In univariate analysis, reduced mortality was weakly associated with higher vegetable-fruit consumption, increased physical activity, and a body mass index that was neither low weight nor obese. In a multivariate Cox model, only the combination of consuming five or more daily servings of vegetables-fruits, and accumulating 540+ metabolic equivalent tasks-min/wk (equivalent to walking 30 minutes 6 d/wk), was associated with a significant survival advantage (hazard ratio, 0.56; 95% CI, 0.31 to 0.98). The approximate 50% reduction in risk associated with these healthy lifestyle behaviors was observed in both obese and nonobese women, although fewer obese women were physically active with a healthy dietary pattern (16% v 30%). Among those who adhered to this healthy lifestyle, there was no apparent effect of obesity on survival. The effect was stronger in women who had hormone receptor–positive cancers.

Conclusion

A minority of breast cancer survivors follow a healthy lifestyle that includes both recommended intakes of vegetables-fruits and moderate levels of physical activity. The strong protective effect observed suggests a need for additional investigation of the effect of the combined influence of diet and physical activity on breast cancer survival.
http://ascopubs.org/doi/pdf/10.1200/JCO.2006.08.6819
Old 10-30-2017, 02:30 PM

I am officially scheduled to get this done TOMORROW!

Of course, all the worst-case scenarios are going back and forth in my head, none of which have happened yet.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Your knowledge of the evolving reality inside you will ebb and flow. Which is a real roller coaster.

But whatever they actually do will only be an improvement.

Good luck.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:48 PM

I vomited after my surgery. Ever since I've told the anesthesiologist, they put something in the brew, and I'm fine and dandy.

Medical advances have come a long way. Hell, if your younger sister gets it in five years the treatment may be even more targeted and focused. Chin up, my dear...you're doing great!
Old 10-30-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
I vomited after my surgery. Ever since I've told the anesthesiologist, they put something in the brew, and I'm fine and dandy.

Medical advances have come a long way. Hell, if your younger sister gets it in five years the treatment may be even more targeted and focused. Chin up, my dear...you're doing great!
I sure hope she dodges this bullet. Among other things, she had a melanoma removed from her shoulder earlier this year. It, too was caught at stage 1 and she needs no further treatment for now.

Thing is, I have to check in at 6:45 but my procedure is not scheduled until 12:15. It's going to be a long morning.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Bring your tablet & we'll all keep you company. Hugs.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:29 PM

Good luck to you. I know you're going in early, but they'll find ways to keep you busy. You'll have lots of conversations with lots of different people about what's happening, and why. Then you'll go to sleep and wake up when it's over. Like LSLGuy says, bring a tablet and we'll keep you company if you have any free time.

Thinking of you. {{{hugs}}}
Old 10-30-2017, 11:56 PM

We'll be waiting to hear how it went! Best of luck.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:11 PM

I don't own a tablet, and I probably wouldn't have used it anyway because I hadn't slept well overnight and dozed on and off until they took me to surgery. Anyway, I got home about an hour and a half ago (6:30ish Central time) and had no nausea and not much pain, and that's vastly reduced now that I have placed a cold pack in my bra and taken a Vicodin. I would have been done a lot sooner had an emergency not come in and delayed us all by about two hours. Those things happen and believe me, I understood.

Now, for the news everyone wants to hear. The preliminary pathology report indicates that the lymph nodes were negative (my biggest fear was that they weren't) and the ice-cube-sized specimen they took out of my breast appears to have clear margins.

This news makes me all the more grateful that I had all of this done.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:21 PM

Excellent news!! Yay!!
Old 10-31-2017, 10:52 PM

Woo-hoo!
Old 11-01-2017, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

Yippee. Now I can go to sleep with a calm mind.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:04 PM

I was told not to drive for 24 hours, but decided to play it safe and stretch it to 48 so I went out and ran a few errands this afternoon (library and grocery store). When I got home, I removed my bandages and took a shower, and realized that most of the pain in my armpit was from the tape I was using on my skin. I simply stuffed new 4x4s in my bra and did tape one corner down to keep it in place.

I took my surgical bandages off yesterday, as instructed. I'm bruised, of course, and have no external stitches; he uses heavy internal stitches which must do the job. I'm feeling better and better by the hour, let alone day.

I will see the surgeon again next Wednesday, and we'll take things from there.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:46 PM

Whew! Take it easy and good luck!
Old 11-02-2017, 10:35 PM

I am so glad things have turned out ok for you!

Last year I had an abnormal as well. Not enough to do biopsies but enough that I had mammograms done every 4 months. I got the all clear this spring... and then 2 months later at my normal mammogram time they found another spot. Which pissed me off because, hey, I just got an all clear. Luckily that spot, too, is nothing. (Makes me wonder how many false positives the new digital mammograms are giving.)

I say next Wednesday go out and eat at your favorite place, or go buy yourself something frivolous or buy a new book... anything to celebrate. i bought myself a 10 book series on Kindle (so about $12 ) and made my husband cook dinner for once
Old 11-05-2017, 04:33 PM

Great!
Old 11-05-2017, 05:38 PM

Yesterday evening, I became concerned that the armpit incision might have become infected (it was sore, warm, and swollen) and called the on-call number. Another surgeon called me back, and once I said I didn't have a fever, let's just say he was less than thrilled to talk to me. But you never know what he might have been doing; among other things, he may have been dealing with someone who was having him paged 10 times a day for genuinely dumb stuff.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 11-05-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:44 PM

My surgeon called me this morning with the final path report, and unfortunately, it wasn't as good as we all expected.

They found some cancer cells in the sentinel lymph node (see footnote) and I didn't have clear margins, thanks to a microscopic thread of cancer that was discovered on more detailed examination. I see the surgeon on Wednesday and we'll schedule lumpectomy #2 then. This kind of thing happens about 20% of the time, something I knew beforehand. It sounds like he'll go through the old incision and take a couple of extra centimeters from the plane that had the tiny cancer.

Footnote: They found a clump that was 0.8mm, and 2mm is the cutoff for metastasis. He thinks they may have been from the lymph node doing its post-biopsy job, which prompted the ultrasound I had after the MRI due to a slightly swollen node. That US was normal and the doctor chose not to do a needle biopsy, something I was grateful for because I've heard they're very painful.

I just hope that my large-needle biopsy didn't scatter cancer cells to the four winds in my breast. That wasn't the news I wanted, that's for sure.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:22 PM

I'm glad they're being so thorough with all of this. Since they found something in the lymph node, does that change the treatment plan or is the general plan still the same?
Old 11-06-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
I'm glad they're being so thorough with all of this. Since they found something in the lymph node, does that change the treatment plan or is the general plan still the same?
Yes and no. Had the margins and node been totally clear, I really don't think I would have taken radiation, but now that I know they weren't, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do that. I'm not eligible for Herceptin, and as for cytotoxic chemotherapy, it still doesn't look like I'm a candidate for it and even if I was, I suspect I would forego it because I know how well those drugs usually "work" and have seen it kill too many people outright; granted, they probably would have died anyway but the treatment itself killed them and their deaths were invariably horrific.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
...Had the margins and node been totally clear, I really don't think I would have taken radiation, but now that I know they weren't, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do that. ....
I had five clear lymph nodes and clear margins AND three weeks of radiation. No chemo. And I'm on Arimidex (anastrazole) for at least five years.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes and no. Had the margins and node been totally clear, I really don't think I would have taken radiation, but now that I know they weren't, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do that. I'm not eligible for Herceptin, and as for cytotoxic chemotherapy, it still doesn't look like I'm a candidate for it and even if I was, I suspect I would forego it because I know how well those drugs usually "work" and have seen it kill too many people outright; granted, they probably would have died anyway but the treatment itself killed them and their deaths were invariably horrific.
Cytotoxics are not necessarily the chemotherapy of our parents. There's also a tremendous difference between cytotoxics as applied to widespread well-established metastases and cytotoxics applied as prohylaxis to reduce the likelihood of microscopic metastases getting established now to blossom later.

There's also a lot of difference between cytotoxics used against various cancers. Many flavors of breast cancer are relatively tractable. Many flavors of, e.g. liver or lung cancer are not. Very different agents are used although all go under the label "chemotherapy".

Don't get me wrong, even the latest targeted breast-cancer specific cytotoxics aren't as safe and side-effect free as aspirin. But a broad categorical statement like "... and have seen it kill too many people outright; granted, they probably would have died anyway but the treatment itself killed them and their deaths were invariably horrific." is mostly ignorant or at least obsolete. As applied to your stage in the disease.

IMO/IME the best way to maximize one's chances of dying of cancer is to under-do the treatment at the early stages.

Think very long and hard about crossing a therapy off the list while your problem is still small and localized.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Last edited by LSLGuy; 11-06-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:05 PM

I had one positive sentinel lymph node. I found both chemo and radiation much more doable than I had anticipated. Wishing the best for you.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:57 AM

I am 5 weeks into "AC" chemotherapy. Although I'm quite tired this week, and balder than a bat, the treatments are quite tolerable. My philosophy is that I should throw everything at it right now so that I have no regrets later.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:23 AM

Yay, PunditLisa!
Old 11-08-2017, 09:08 PM

Unfortunately, I have also been reclassified from Stage 1 to Stage IIa because the tumor measured 2.9cm (cutoff for stage 1 is 2cm) in its largest dimension. I asked about the other measurements, and the doctor said that the largest one is the only one that's even documented. It sounds like I had (HAD) a central tumor that was sending out very thin filaments, and this is the one that will require me to have a second operation, which is scheduled for next Tuesday. He wanted to wait a few more days so the scar would solidify, because he plans to remove it and about a centimeter around it in each diameter.

In the meantime, I'm going to meet with a radiation oncologist, and the regular oncologist will call me to arrange an appointment.

One of the people from a Tuesday night meetup I attend, a woman who barely knew me, offered to join me at my appointment, and she did. He was her surgeon and remembered her, and told her that he was glad to see that she was looking good, and having her there was also a big morale boost. Her prognosis was, and is, not as good as mine but she's doing well now.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Ouch. Sometimes the plot has more twists and turns than a Hollywood blockbuster. It sounds like you've got a first rate crew working on the problem.

Chin up & keep plugging. We're all here for you.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:33 PM

Sorry for the staging change. That was my stage as well.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:11 AM

Good luck with the upcoming procedure. It sounds like you found a good support group. I'm glad you had company at the appointment.

Let us know if we can send care packages. I bake a mean chocolate cookie. In the meantime, {{{hugs}}}.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:19 PM

My biggest fear right now is that the second operation won't show clear margins either , even though I know they do about 90% of the time.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:29 PM

It's hard to keep one's equilibrium though this process. Keep doing what you've been doing to get through!
Old 11-10-2017, 12:38 AM

If they don't get it all this time, the good news is that they are checking for it, and will know they have to try again. You did catch it early and it sounds like you've got a good team. It sucks that you're having to go a couple of rounds at getting it out, but it's good that they can find out.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:08 AM

nearwildheaven, stage 2 is still considered early stage. If you want to focus on a number, focus on the fact that the odds are still overwhelmingly in your favor if you follow the recommended treatment plan.

Besides, a large, slow-growing tumor is much better than a small, aggressive tumor. So try to relax and have faith in your team. And die, cancer, die!
Old 11-10-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunditLisa View Post
nearwildheaven, stage 2 is still considered early stage. If you want to focus on a number, focus on the fact that the odds are still overwhelmingly in your favor if you follow the recommended treatment plan.

Besides, a large, slow-growing tumor is much better than a small, aggressive tumor. So try to relax and have faith in your team. And die, cancer, die!
In my case, it's not that I had a golfball-sized tumor in my breast, but instead, a pencil-eraser-sized tumor that had a long, nasty tentacle. Someone on another site, one for BC patients no less, asked me if it resembled Cthulu (or however that's spelled). I'm not much of a fantasy reader, but I do know what Cthulu is, and I said, "I hope there's only one."

I saw a You Tube video where a breast surgeon talked about DCIS and re-excisions, and I felt that he was talking to me, about me. It was very comforting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5n2IY4b2V0
Old 11-10-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunditLisa View Post

And a small, slow-growing tumor is even better, especially if it's not in my body anymore.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:34 PM

Yes. My surgeon called my IDC "indolent," which I thought was fine news.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:49 PM

It was quite the relief when my scans came back "unremarkable." Ivylad and I had quite the giggle over that.

I had the lumpectomy and had to go back in for a re-excision because, as my surgeon said, he doesn't have microscopes for eyeballs. Keep fighting the good fight.