Old 02-11-2018, 04:48 PM

Journey to the (Invictus) Games

Way back in early December, Soldier On (the Canadian Military based organization to help those injured while in uniform heal through sport), sent out a call for applications for those interested in competing at the 2018 Invictus Games.

Invictus Games are the international sporting event for injured service member to continue to heal through adaptive sport.

After a LOT of soul searching, I sent in an application. I have, at least recently, been reasonably open about the fact that I have been a victim of several sexual assaults while in uniform, and as a result, have had to deal with PTSD. Thanks to an amazingly supportive chain of command, I have been able to not only remain in uniform, but after a meeting with the Chief of Defence Staff, will be switching jobs to help further develop a program I developed to improve support for victim-survivors.

Still, I was torn.

One, because going to the gym has been problematic. One of the assaults happened in a gym locker room. That year was the last that I was able to actually train and complete an athletic event (half marathon). Since then, attempts to train, especially in a military gym, has caused panic attacks and in one case, full breakdown.

Two, because I didnít want to take a place of someone ďmoreĒ injured. That may seem weird after reading the paragraph above, but I am doing pretty good, actually. I left an abusive marriage (mental, not physical) and have been rebuilding my life.

Actually, a week ago, I had talked myself out of it. It was a weird week. Two of my offenders are under investigation, and I ran into one in my office. I was, obviously, very shaken by the experience, but the incredible support that immediately surrounded and helped me was the absolute best case scenario. My office mates offered to start going to the gym with me, so I donít feel alone and vulnerable. My boss is allowing us to go mid-morning, so itís not busy.

I got word on Wednesday this week. They had over 700 applicants. They took 40. I was one selected. The sports I chose were Archery, Cycling, Swimming and relay (running, team). Soldier On deliberately took all new people, so we are all newbies.

The 2018 Games are in October, in Sydney, Australia.

Training starts Monday (tomorrow). I have 8 months to train, and think I will keep a blog/journal, it may share here too, if anyone wants to read it?

Let the games begin
Old 02-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

I’m thrilled for your adventure ahead! Go get ‘em!!
Old 02-11-2018, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Go for it! Thanks for starting the thread so we can all cheer you on!
Old 02-11-2018, 06:41 PM

I'll certainly be following this thread.

You have my utmost respect.

Congratulations and go get em!
Old 02-11-2018, 07:56 PM

Congratulations.

I saw a few Invictus events this summer and it is pretty inspirational to see people overcome their difficulties and compete. Iím not one for ceremony or royals, but this is a pretty worthwhile endeavour.

And Sydney is a great place to visit.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:29 PM

I am proud of you. Does your service dog get to go too?

I look forward to hearing about your adventures on the way, and to cheering you on when the day comes.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Great that you started this thread. Looking forward to hearing about your training as the year progresses.

Like the others, I will be cheering you on when it's time for the Games, and you are there competing!
Old 02-13-2018, 03:24 PM

First day back at the gym, and yes, it was pretty ugly. I am fortunate so far that I have a very supportive co-worker that has agreed to this madness, so we went for voluntary torture together (mantra of "It will be so worth it only eight weeks from now"). Right now, I am really just building a base of general fitness, so really some metabolic conditioning-type stuff. In a week, I will start pushing the cardio (running and spin) more, while maintaining the flexibility, plyo and weight stuff. I have an appointment next Tuesday to talk Recurve Bows with an archery expert. I do need to be a bit careful about dates - If I start too soon, I can knock myself out of the Novice category.

And I am DEFINITELY a Novice.

Also working on gaining access to a pool - memberships are not cheap, so maybe a punch card through the city? Medical appointment next week to get that signed off - no issues, my problem has always pretty much been in my head. That, and my driving need to over-train (which is another reason why it's nice to have a buddy). I also, this month, just joined a roller derby league. I will definitely stay out of bouts - would hate to throw it all away because I broke something by trying to score at derby!
Old 02-13-2018, 03:31 PM

Hey, at archery I'm both a novice and a senior At other sports, don't even ask.

I think that it's important and good that your superiors are recognizing that mental wounds are no less real than those which bleed. Thank you for speaking up and for the work you're doing.

Best wishes, do not break anything (specially no part of yourself).
Old 02-13-2018, 03:40 PM

Congratulations! Please keep us updated!
Old 02-14-2018, 08:41 AM

Woke up this morning feeling like I was run over by a bus while I slept - boy DOMs is super fun, isn't it?
Old 02-14-2018, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

DOMs?

Says Piper, who hasn't been near a gym in years …
Old 02-14-2018, 02:14 PM

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. It affects everyone, newbies and experienced folk who take two weeks off to go to Yellowstone and come back to the gym. It's why you can't get off the toilet when you go to the bathroom. It's why your arms are jelly trying to butter bread.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

That's what people who go to the gym tell me, anyway.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:41 PM

Yes indeed. DOMs, so now I am carefully planning every time I need to leave my cubicle - am I absolutely SURE I have sent everything to the printer? Do I need to use the washroom or get more water in my water bottle?

No trip can be wasted.

And then, once I am around the corner, I certainly can not hobble about, since I am a damn officer and have rank and authority and yes, pride, so I hide my whimper and walk straight and tall (maybe a little slower) to whatever task I need to do (...while my inside voice cries about stupid DOMs and stupid ME for not keeping up going to the gym). I can't hardly wait until NEXt week when it doesn't hurt as much, but the exhaustion sets in from all of the working out...

But in two weeks, I should feel awesome, or at least not sobby-ouchie-limpy...

Last edited by Poysyn; 02-14-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:01 PM

Stretch, hot bath, repeat as needed. Funny enough, I find the next work out session helps enormously.

It sucks that even if you work out regularly for months, as little as two weeks off and it's like you're a newbie all over again. I must write a strongly worded letter to the manufacturer about that flaw.

Last edited by ivylass; 02-14-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
Stretch, hot bath, repeat as needed. Funny enough, I find the next work out session helps enormously.

It sucks that even if you work out regularly for months, as little as two weeks off and it's like you're a newbie all over again. I must write a strongly worded letter to the manufacturer about that flaw.
Please do - can you add in that the fast metabolism and recovery are wasted on the young

I will keep this up, and am trying to be careful - last thing I want to do is knock myself out by injury!
Old 02-14-2018, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poysyn View Post
I was one selected.
Congratulations! The very best of luck to you.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:20 AM

I hate burpees.

Seriously, hate them. I realize they are a fantastic full-body exercise and great for cardio (and explosive movement), but whoo-eee do I hate them. I had burpees and box jumps today, but thankfully the lift was deadlift and deadlift is my JAM! I love deadlift. I wish every day was deadlift day. Tomorrow is Strict Press and Push Press and my legs are very thankful. I am itching to start running/spinning but may wait until the end of NEXT week, because...

NEXT WEEK is when the ongoing soreness is replaced by a slight ache and exhaustion - that's when your body says "Oh, wait, all of the exercise isn't just a passing thing?!"

Gravity was SUPER strong around my bed this morning.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:22 PM

I'll see your burpees aned raise you sideclimbers.

I told my Boot Camp instructor's wife that I hated sideclimbers more than burpees. To my dismay, she shared my text to her with her hubby, probably for a good laugh since she takes the classes too, and the next class he made us do both. Now, instead of calling them sideclimbers, he calls them "ivylasses*".

I'm getting better at them, but I'd rather do burpees.

*my real name, not my SDMB name, obviously. Poysyn knows what that is.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:18 PM

I don’t think burpees are that fantastic an exercise. But at least they are not harmful like bear crawls. Deadlifting is way better. Double-under skipping is my nemesis.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:30 PM

Wow! Congratulations on being selected, and thank you for being strong. You are an inspiration.

(and say Hi to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle for us )
Old 02-16-2018, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
I'll see your burpees aned raise you sideclimbers.
The climbers look like something I can do; anything involving jumping I'm out. Searching for burpees taught me that in Spain they're called 'the little soldier'... guess that's where we learned to do them, in Basic
Old 02-16-2018, 08:46 AM

I can jump on and off the step, but jumping OVER takes some mental preparation.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:20 PM

The tired has set in, so I went to the gym this morning f, but it was definitely not my best workout . Lots of strict and push press, rowing and KB swings. I had to cut out the wall climbs since this gym has no suitable wall (may have ruined the pain on one wall - oops.

But the BIG NEWS is that I went to the archery range yesterday with a coach. It turns out I am really already pretty good, SO GO ME! The sightline took some getting used to, since I am used to sighting with the other eye AND right on top of the rifle, so this was different, but very encouraging!

I still have a bruise though.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Archery is my favourite sport. If you're new to it, you will probably have to try a few arm and chest guards to find ones that fit properly and give the best protection. Will you be shooting barebow or freestyle?
Old 02-22-2018, 09:18 PM

Almost through week 2 and I genuinely am exhausted. I am not as sore, which is good, although my knees are achy. Probably from bad squat form, so worked on that today. Itís exacerbated by my teenís ongoing struggle with anxiety and depression. That is the downside.

The bright side is that I took her to the archery range and she LOVED it. So thatís good. We have something we can practice together.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:36 AM

You have good days and bad days. But over time you will gradually improve.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:05 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Good luck Posyn!

I don't mean at the games, I mean good luck not dying before you get there!
Old 02-23-2018, 01:36 PM

Did you find some archery folks here on the board? I think HoneyBadgerDC is one, if he hasn't spoken up yet.

Thank you for sharing the updates. It's fun to read along.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:31 PM

So, I have been slowly meeting the other people on the team online (we have Facebook groups!). There are a whole range of abilities and disabilities, including another archer on the team that is blind - so that will be SUPER interesting.

I went bow shopping at Lancaster Archery and am just letting my coach check out what I picked before I BUY. First training camp is 39 days away and I am feeling some pressure - all self-induced - to get ďreadyĒ for the camp. Camp is out in BC.

This week is more CrossFit, spin and swimming. We are also starting up at an indoor archery range.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:44 PM

I have not dropped dead from training (yet)! It is profoundly expensive to equip oneself as an elite athlete - especially when you are NOT one.

So, I have a kickass recurve bow (and am actually a 'natural'). I am embroiled in a debate with my Invictus Archery coach about the use of a glove over a tab. My argument, the glove is cooler and makes me feel more badass (also, since I don't "deep hook" the string, I like feeling the string). We will settle it at training camp. Bow purchased from Lancaster Archery in Pennsylvania - ask for Joe - highly recommend! have been to the range twice and am getting some good groupings. Did `Paper Cup` targeting - when you place a circle and start at the close (5m?) line. You can't move back until you get three arrows in that circle. It took me eight rounds, so not bad. Many times I was SO CLOSE. Still, for my second trip to the range, I am doing well.

Swimming - I try to have a long, efficient stroke, with lots of body roll (sounds dirty, no?), but can't seem to get my flip turns down. I hope to get that squares away at camp as well. I suspect it's harder for adults to learn not to fear swimming full speed at the wall? I bought a MOOV NOW fitness tracker for the swim in particular, ad am hitting the pool again together to focus on JUST SWIMMING as far and as much as I can in an hour. Should be "fun".

Cycling - and I bring you to the most expensive of my three sports. The training camp is in a few weeks in BC, but since the weather is somewhat unpredictable, I still needed to buy some winter/wet weather cycling kit. Thankfully there are a lot to sales - sadly it's still expensive. dropped about $300 last night getting everything else I need. Hopefully I am kitted out okay, want to get my hybrid out this weekend, and the road bike next week. Spin class until then!

Training Camp is 8-14 April. Super excited. I lost a week of training because of a migraine and felt like a totally lose - apparently it is totally normal for people with PTSD to just quit. I am bound and determined NOT to quit.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:25 PM

Great update!

Thank you.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:41 PM

Sounds like you're making great progress.

Flip turns are a bitch. It takes a while to remember to do the turn instead of hitting the wall, and then even more practice to do it at speed. I'd suggest (FWIW) doing some separate drills on just the turns before your laps, and then maybe a few more to close out. Do you have someone on hand that can help you with some drills for that?

I'm jealous on the archery. My mom was the archer in our family. I went with big (horses).

Thank you for the update!
Old 03-20-2018, 08:09 PM

You're doing it! We're so proud of you!
Old 03-26-2018, 08:10 AM

A few firsts this weekend:

1) Shot with my new bow. I bought a Galaxy carbon riser and gold long limbs, so when itís put together, the recurve is to my shoulder/chin. The thin is powerful. Itís a 30lbs draw, so heavier than I used previously, and will take a bit of getting used to - but it looks badass. My archery buddy snapped a pic while I was shooting (he didnít ask, which is better so I wasnít posing) and damn it if I donít look a little like I know what I am doing!

2) tried my first Masters swim club practice. That was REALLY humbling since both my skill and endurance is no where near everyone elseís. All good though. I managed to make it to an hour before I was gassed (practice was an hour and a half).

3) Got some more bike gear. New bike is a few weeks away too.

Still feels weird to call myself ďan athleteĒ. Hoping as I get better at my sports it will feel more natural

Camp is only a few weeks away. I am nervous and excited.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:31 AM

Leaving for the first camp on Sunday. Less nervous about it now that I have seen the schedule. I have Archery Mon, Tue, Thu morning and alternate cycling and swimming in the afternoons. I am flying home on Friday (one day early) because it's my birthday (Happy Birthday to me!). The FB groups have been really busy, people are nervous, and those of us with PTSD tend to run a little more anxious than the average, so it's busy.

Found out we are getting a deal on the new bikes, so I will be selling my current road bike (Trek 1.1, if anyone is interested). I will try to post from camp and let you know how it's going
Old 04-06-2018, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Good luck and have fun!
Old 04-06-2018, 08:25 PM

That's great! Good luck!
Old 04-06-2018, 09:29 PM

Woo-hoo! I have the biggest smile just reading this. Very happy for you.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:00 PM

SUPER LONG:

Well, I am halfway through my first week back, and what a week at training it was! On the way down, I was all sorts of anxious - my main worry was that everyone else would be in far, far better shape, and I would be the odd man out, but that was not the case. The workouts were very tough, but designed in a way that you were challenged but not defeated. Here's a bit of a breakdown:

Sunday (Travel day/admin day) - we arrive and get our room keys (staying at the base in Esquimalt, BC and rooming with another team member). We had our own bedrooms, shared bathroom/living room/mini fridge. I didn't really unpack so much as I organized a bit. I already had an idea who my roommate was going to be and I was a bit relieved as there were a few I wasn't keen on being in close quarters with, although I would have made it work.

Monday (Day 1)

0700 - Breakfast
0800 - Transport to 1st sport – Archery for me. The range was outside, which we just learned in a day before we left, but since this is Victoria, BC, the weather wasn't a HUGE problem. Our coach is an Archery God, and it JUST as geeky as you would hope an Archery God would be… Weather was cool, but not freezing. I shot fairly well, and was one of the few that knew how to string my bow (Takedown Recurve). It was a very basic lesson the first day, starting, literally with stance. I knew there were quite a few that had never touched a bow, so this was important. Still, did not shoot a lot of arrows that day.
1130 – back to base for lunch
1330 – Transport to 2nd sport – This was cycling and would be spin. Here is where I should mention our head Coach, Peter Lawless. Peter is a powerhouse of unmeasurable energy from BC and has won the National Coaching award so many times it should be named after him. He is also Vice-president of the Canadian Olympic Committee. Prior to our class, cycle-sprinting legend Curt Harnett (of the 27 inch thighs) had tweeted at Peter “Give ‘em hell, Coach!” Peter 100% took that to heart. Halfway through, I started to wonder things like “Can your heart actually explode?” and “If my kneecap pops off due to the pressure of my quad, can I hit Peter in the face?” I can honestly say I have never pushed that hard on a bike in my life. It was all kinds of terrible amazingness.

1600 – back to base for dinner – about halfway through dinner I felt incredible, also exhausted. This is also where I would make a choice that seemed like a FANTASTIC idea at the time – the next day, I was supposed to have swimming in the afternoon only. This seemed like a waste, I felt I should get two classes in each of my sports – right? Seems logical? So I jiggered some stuff around and arranged two sessions in the pool for Tuesday – YAY!

1800 – Transport to evening (team) sports – Fack, I was bagged. I went to bed. TOMORROW!

Tuesday (Day 2)

0700 – Remember, yesterday, when I was brilliant and wanted to have two sessions in the pool. It took until 0705 or so until I realized what I had done – I committed to four hours of swimming.

That seems less brilliant somehow in the cold light of Tuesday morning.

0800 – Transport to 1st Sport – Swimming! Our coach is Alex, and he was a CISM swimmer then coach, so he has competed and coached at the elite level. Now he has us.  My main goals for this camp were to learn some skills I could then take home to maximize my training on my own. For swimming that meant the following – flip turns, streamlining and how to start off the blocks.
First two hour session I had the blocks and streamlining nailed – and both were crazy fun. I felt sleek and fast and WOW. The then flip turns. Those buggers were like my Everest or something. I am 100% they had to refill the pool to replace that which I choked into my sinus. It wasn’t until the session after lunch that I finally got them (and the help of a nose plug, god bless). It felt so fantastic the first time I turned, kicked and the wall was ACTUALLY THERE! I was so excited I bloody well forgot to keep swimming!

1130 – LUNCH! I was STARVING!

1330 – Back to the pool. Now, I did attempt to dry my suit and towel a bit, and while the suit was FAR less moist, the towel was pretty hopeless. After I convinced myself that obviously no one had suffered as much as I had in the history of the world (stop whining, in other words), I got my ass back into the pool to swim more laps YAY! So many more laps. My flutter kick is amazing now.

1600 – Dinner pick up

1800 – Evening sport transport – So, this day I decided to go and check out some evening sports and I am glad I did! I started in Wheelchair Rugby. The chairs are literally like little tanks – they need to be because, man, do we crash into each other HARD. I spent about an hour upstairs doing that, then moved to Wheelchair Basketball, coached by Bowesy.
This was SO FUN. I can’t even express how fun these two sports were. Seriously, everyone should check them out – you can be completely able-bodied and play, you just can’t use your lower half. At all. I decided I would 100% play either one of these sports.

2000 – Pick up and social evening – we were invited to attend a little reception at the HMCS MALAHAT, so we went and visited there for a bit.

Wednesday (Day 3)

GLORIOUS REST DAY!

0700 – Breakfast

0900 – active stretch and recovery workshops

1130 – Transport for lunch (and a guest speaker) Michelle Stilwell, former Paralympian and current BC Politico. Powerful, inspirational speech and very cool Paralympic medals.

1330 – Lectures on nutrition, medical and mental health self care

1600 – Supper

1800 – Transport to evening sports – played wheelchair basketball again. First player to get called a foul, but I think Mike will stay out of my way now . Tomorrow, they are bringing in a teenage team that has been playing together for 4 years. They will 100% wipe the floor with us, but it will be SO fun! Met coach Joe, who came in to help out Bowesy. Joe has coached team Canada several times.

2000 – Transport back to barracks, fell into bed.

Thursday (Day 4) My Last Day

I am flying out early Friday since it is my birthday and I want to spend some of it with my daughter. This week was really tough on her, she has been having some mental health concerns and although my Mom is amazing, it’s just not the same.

0700 – breakfast

0800 – transport – Archery! We are back on the range and today will have a match play. I partnered up with one woman and we did our rounds until one of us had six points (two points per winning round). Since by now I was obviously a pro (FIVE times I have been to the range, FIVE), I won and we did a sudden death closest to the center, which I also won – GO TEAM ME!

1130 – back for lunch, second guest speaker – athlete from last year

1330 – Afternoon sports – And Peter the Torturer is back – we did a “tabata” style cycling workout to train our breakout skills. A solid hour of wishing for death on a spin bike. Although it felt so good when we stopped!

1630 – Supper

1800 – back for team sports and HEY! There are a bunch of teenagers there! The team on Pender Island was put together by Tim Frick, a legendary coach from the Paralympics. They even have a coaching trophy named after him. I am telling you, watching those kids maneuver their chairs easily and sink basket after basket really drove home the shellacking we were about to experience. Still, I can say it’s never been so fun to lose before. My teams coach (Joe), seemed to think I was showing a lot of hustle, since my shift really felt never-ending. When he finally switched me he said “You were like a machine”. Next shift I got two fouls. Against the children.
Yep.
Joe high-fived me and asked if it was going to join a league. Later, Coach Frick asked the same. 
We definitely lost, but we still surprised our coaches with everything we could do after only a few days in.

Friday – I flew home! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!
Old 04-18-2018, 02:54 PM

You are doing fantastic! I do tabata in my boot camp classes at the gym. Very not fun. The 20 seconds seems to go on forever, but the 10 seconds is over in the blink of an eye.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:52 PM

Happy Birthday and the week sounds awesome! Go you!
Old 04-30-2018, 04:46 PM

So, last week was Migraine Week. Itís kind of like one of the shittiest holidays that you donít ever want to celebrate, and get very little warning.

So, last week was a bust as far as working out or training, and Friday I had to go to the ER for some higher end pain relief. That effectively toasted Saturday as well. Sunday, I still had a bit of a headache, so we took it a bit easy. I am reasonably confident the current pain is sinus related, so I am back to Neto Potting. Last night, we had the double trauma of Infinity War and the Jets loss to the Predators. So it was a rough weekend.

BUT...BUT... training! This morning I started again with a BANG and cycled to work. This made so much sense in so many ways - nice bike paths, I have a good hybrid for commuting, shower at work (if needed). Yes, last night, when I was planning, it made so much sense.

This morning, nursing another headache, it seemed a bit less intelligent and thought out. ďWell,Ē said I. ďI AM a badass female officer in the CAF. I can do this.Ē

I will admit about 6 miles in, my resolve was weakening. The head pain was not letting up, and I was pretty sure I had taken a wrong turn and added to my distance (apologies to my navigation instructor). But I kept going. Because, at my core, I am really competitive, and really a grinder.

At mile ten (TMI ALERT!), the faucet in my nose opened up and I managed to blow it a few times until I ran out of tissue. MAN! What a RELIEF!

All told, 14 miles in the mile-bank. Weather was nice, but breezy.

Another milestone - this was the first major workout I have gone and done on my own. A big deal since one assault happened at a gym, so itís a trigger. Go me!

This afternoon was deadlift, pull-ups, push-ups and cleans. Because I am obviously a masochist. Tonight is a gentler spin (with a few hard peaks to push) with my daughter.

Tomorrow, it looks like swimming is on the docket. I bike home on Wed (since that should be the schedule - Mon - home, Tue - to, Wed - home, Thu - to).

This training like an athlete sucked today, but I choose to fake it until I make it. Also, I got to wear my cool buff over my face, those of you on Facebook got to see it!
Old 04-30-2018, 04:51 PM

Glad you're feeling better, and tackling some demons to boot.

I know that bike ride; it's beautiful. (Till you reach downtown.)

Great update!
Old 04-30-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Glad you're feeling better, and tackling some demons to boot.

I know that bike ride; it's beautiful. (Till you reach downtown.)

Great update!
Seriously. All of those little uphills were KILLING me.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:59 PM

Glad the headaches are letting up. How much time is left?
Old 04-30-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poysyn View Post
Seriously. All of those little uphills were KILLING me.
I don't believe it's uphill both ways.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:39 PM

http://www.invictusgames2018.org

Here’s a counter. It reminds me every time I look at it how little time there is!

I can’t remember if I mentioned, my daughter is coming to camp 2 with me, so she needs to work out to (since she can’t sit out!)
Old 04-30-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
I don't believe it's uphill both ways.
The ride home is not until Wed - so I am REALLY looking forward to the fun downhills!