Old 10-17-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
[my emphasis]

Well, yes, most countries have laws against eating human flesh, no matter how severe the munchies you get after toking. I think Canada still does too. Perhaps I'm wrong.

:shrug: We've had retail weed stores, not medical marijuana dispensaries, here in Oregon for about 2 years now. And despite federal law, no one's been arrested for buying at one. That's the club you're joining.
It is pretty different though. Our pot stores will be allowed to have bank accounts and debit machines. That's not meant as bragging in any way but you got to admit there's a distinctly different vibe when a store has to have "cash only" sign.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike2 View Post
When edibles come out in a year, I might make a visit.
Just so you know, while edibles won't be available for sale for a year, it's still now legal for adults in Canada to make their own. I'm not sure if giving detailed instructions would violate board rules, so I'll just suggest googling it. My only warning is that infusing cannabis into oil or butter will make your house smell very .. pungent for quite a while afterwards, even with all the windows open. It's not hard to do though, I am one of the worst cooks in the world but even I can swing a pre-packaged brownie mix.

Also, my standard advice for edibles is to always start small, wait an hour, and see how you're feeling. You can always eat more, you can't retroactively eat less.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:43 PM

Good advice, thanks, I might try it. I have had edibles a long time ago in Amsterdam (fun) and they eventually kicked like a mule. I might wait for a weekend when my wife is out of town to make them, lol. It will cut down on the comments.

Last edited by Mikemike2; 10-17-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
Also, my standard advice for edibles is to always start small, wait an hour, and see how you're feeling. You can always eat more, you can't retroactively eat less.
This. Dear gawd above, this. This does NOT work like liquor. First time I ate (commercial gummies), I learned it takes about an hour for me to feel anything from an edible. I got impatient and was having a nom every 20 minutes. By the time the first one started kicking in I'd just finished #4. I don't remember too much after that, just a vague idea that a pot hyperdose is not at all as pleasant as you might hope.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 10-17-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:14 PM

We have started making edibles out of bud. Just loosely wrap some chopped up bud in foil, put it in a casserole dish and bake it in the oven at around 250F (if your oven goes that low) for about 50 minutes. Works very well, but, as Crazy Canuck notes, it does pungentify the kitchen.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:18 PM

If you have an immersion circulator, like an Anova or similar, it’s super easy to make the raw ingredients for edibles and it involves almost zero smell.

Last edited by cgg419; 10-17-2018 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-17-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg419 View Post
If you have an immersion circulator, like an Anova or similar, its super easy to make the raw ingredients for edibles and it involves almost zero smell.
Interesting, we may need a new sous vide thread.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:11 PM

Damn it, I was just in Quebec last week! Saw plenty of people in Montreal openly smoking; guess they figured the police weren't going to hassle them a week before legalization.

Driving north from Vermont, the Canadian government had put up a big sign just on the Quebec side of the border, reminding Americans that distances and speed limits were in metric from then on. Going back to Vermont, on the other hand, the sign said "No marijuana". Despite Vermont legalizing recreational cannabis in January. Federal vs. state law, I guess. (Would have been nice for the Vermont DOT to put up a sign reminding Canadian drivers to think in terms of mph rather than kph, once across the border, though.)
Old 10-17-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
Just so you know, while edibles won't be available for sale for a year, it's still now legal for adults in Canada to make their own
You're asking us to learn how to cook?!!

Last edited by Sunspace; 10-17-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspace View Post
You're asking us to learn how to cook?!!
Sometimes you gotta cook if you wanna get baked.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:08 AM

I've been intending to revisit it once it became legal. I had been looking forward to the summer of 2018, but, oh, well.

I checked out the Ontario site when it went live, and then headed to bed.

But I had to pee and got up in the night to do so. Grabbed my phone, and lo, it was 12:48 a.m. BC's site was online. And looked remarkably like Ontario's.

I'd already noted my credit card info in my phone, so I looked around, and ordered some prerolled, some loose, and some rolling papers.

I'm actually quite intrigued to revisit this. I already drink alcohol, and do believe marijuana is as harmless/harmful as alcohol. I do believe it doesn't lead to as much stupid aggression as booze does.

I didn't notice any haze over my city this morning, nor anything different from yesterday. Until I took the dog for a walk at the local university. There is now, in a nice spot, with a view to the water, a designated cannabis smoking/vaping spot. I snapped a picture, and texted a few friends.

I'm mildly impatient for my mail order to arrive, but as I've recieved no updates on the *shipping* yet, and rolling Canada Post strikes a possibility, I'm thinking I'll just have to take a deep breath and wait some more.

I quit smoking cigarettes, but goddamn, I miss *smoking*, so part of me is really keen on having this as a once in a while indulgence.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:19 PM

As 420 is a popular weed term, I wonder if 1017 might become popular?
Old 10-18-2018, 07:53 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I don't know if it is related, but many pizza places are 'unavailable' on Ubereats.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:13 AM

A girl in Edmonton set up to sell Girl Guide cookies outside one of the new pot shops...

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...bis-store.html

Last edited by Sunspace; 10-19-2018 at 01:13 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:58 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Just a quick bump- After a little over 2 weeks I finally got an email saying my order has been processed and shipped. You have to love that government efficiency.