Old 07-12-2018, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Tour de France 2018

I'm so out of it that I didn't even realize it has started (there is usually a thread, did I miss it?).

6 stages have finished. If I'm reading it right it is a close race so far (#32 is 16 seconds behind)

Anyone following?

Brian
Old 07-12-2018, 02:00 PM

Expect the standings to be close in the first few stages because they are almost entirely flat, and the peloton finishes at the front, so quite a few riders are credited with the same time as the stage winner.

Things don't tend to spread out until they get to the mountains.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Yes, we've been watching every day, although not the full stage replays at night.

No noise from Froome and Sky yet, but no need to make noise yet. Can't wait for 10, 11, and 12. I ride a Greg Lemond Alp d'Huez and love when that climb is in the Tour.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:30 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

I haven't watched in several years--the whole Armstrong debacle turned me off entirely. This year I decided to give it another shot. Lucky for me Roku has a 30-day free trial of the FUBO channel, so I'm set to watch the whole tour. It's good to spend the morning with Phil, Paul, Bobke and the gang, watching the beautiful French countryside go by. The race itself is almost an afterthought.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Expect the standings to be close in the first few stages because they are almost entirely flat, and the peloton finishes at the front, so quite a few riders are credited with the same time as the stage winner.
That's true, but stage 3 this year was a team time trial. That had the potential to introduce some time gaps. The TTT itself was very close, with the top 5 teams separated by only 11 seconds, and 6th place only 35 seconds back. Riders from those 5 teams still make up the top 6 riders in the general classification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
No noise from Froome and Sky yet,...
Not entirely true. Froome was in an accident on stage 1 and lost nearly a minute. Some of his GC rivals lost as much or more, but Sky can't just sit back and wait for others to attack them as they seem to have done in the past.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:54 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Brutal day on the cobblestones today.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:57 PM

That was an awesome spectacle but excessive IMHO - bit of a roman circus seeing riders getting skittled left right and centre. I'm all for seeing some Classics bike racing in a GT but that was chaotic - 25 years since there's been that much pave on a TdF stage and probably good reason for that.

Great to see the stage winner, though, obv meant everything to him with what he's been through in getting back to to this level.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

That was fascinating TV viewing, but the crashes are just too random and frequent. The Tour winner shouldn't be determined by an accident on sandy cobbles.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
Brutal day on the cobblestones today.
Dumoulin was saying there was a pretty big headwind that negated a lot of his advantage, which is a bit of a shame, I thought this stage was tailor made for him.

The next few stages should give us a pretty good indication as to whom Sky should back. Should be interesting.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
That was fascinating TV viewing, but the crashes are just too random and frequent. The Tour winner shouldn't be determined by an accident on sandy cobbles.
I was trying to figure out how much of it was luck. I missed a few cobble sections, but did anything bad happen to Team Sky? I think one of their riders wiped out on a turn and forced Van Avermaet and Froome to run wide off the road, but I didn't see anything more than that. Are they lucky, or are they good?

If, as some are saying, this stage of cobbles was too much, what would be the perfect Tour? It seems like the only time gaps between GC contenders happen in the mountains. I like to see the Tour balanced in such a way as to not just favor climbers. Instead of all the cobbles on one stage, maybe spread them out a bit, or even have a cobblestone section on one of the time trials.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

There's nothing wrong with a cobble stage. It was a mini Paris-Roubaix without any of the really hard sections. The most notable crashes yesterday didn't even happen on the cobbles. Porte went down before they even reached the cobbles, and Landa caught a drain cover while taking a drink. It's always nice when there are stages aside from mountains and ITT where gaps are possible, and where those gaps might favour a slightly different group of riders than the usual finish at the top of l'Alpe d'Huez. Coastal crosswind stages are also good for excitement. Get echelons forming and you get some real tension. Gaps can be just as large as in the mountains, but they'll favour those with teams that include the big engine rouleur-types rather than skinny mountain goats.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
I haven't watched in several years--the whole Armstrong debacle turned me off entirely. This year I decided to give it another shot.
You might be a bit disappointed, there's a big cloud hanging over Froome, back in 2017 he tested positive for too much salbutamol, he was allowed to continue racing while the enquiry dragged on forever, many lawyers later he got cleared just before the TdF. But many people are unhappy and feel he should've been sanctioned. The commentators have mentioned a few times that he gets booed during the pre-start presentations. Is he clean and simply much better than the others, is he so much better because Team Sky is best organized and well funded, or is he another Armstrong?

My advice, watch and enjoy the show, but don't get too invested in the superhuman who'se winning all the races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
If, as some are saying, this stage of cobbles was too much, what would be the perfect Tour? It seems like the only time gaps between GC contenders happen in the mountains. I like to see the Tour balanced in such a way as to not just favor climbers. Instead of all the cobbles on one stage, maybe spread them out a bit, or even have a cobblestone section on one of the time trials.
Have less mountains? Get rid of the HC and Cat 1 climbs? The stages with a bunch of Cat 2-4 mountains are exciting enough and well-balanced, but then again no matter what you do some type of cyclist will be favoured over the others and the teams will select riders to optimize that. The cobblestones are bit too much of a lottery though, look at Bardet, he got three punctures through no fault of his, and only a huge effort kept him in contention (well done to him).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
There's nothing wrong with a cobble stage. It was a mini Paris-Roubaix without any of the really hard sections. The most notable crashes yesterday didn't even happen on the cobbles. Porte went down before they even reached the cobbles, and Landa caught a drain cover while taking a drink. It's always nice when there are stages aside from mountains and ITT where gaps are possible, and where those gaps might favour a slightly different group of riders than the usual finish at the top of l'Alpe d'Huez. Coastal crosswind stages are also good for excitement. Get echelons forming and you get some real tension. Gaps can be just as large as in the mountains, but they'll favour those with teams that include the big engine rouleur-types rather than skinny mountain goats.
In Paris-Roubaix there's just one race to win the day, in TdF there's the race for the stage winner, plus the race to avoid gaps in GC. So the tension and pace is high everywhere, and all this after 8 days in a row on the saddle. It looked like a lot of the riders were slipping on dirt dragged out of the cobble sections by the support cars, mainly in the later sections, when everybody was getting tired. A few sections is good for the spectacle and excitement, but these guys are still human, you can't expect them to pedal for a week then endure a long difficult dirt-packed stage and not lose concentration.

Overall it's been great so far. 3 sprinters winning 2 stages each, beautiful scenery, lots of French, Belgian and Latin American riders. Looking forward to the rest.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:25 PM

I used to watch regularly every summer during the Indurain era. My friend and I would watch and then ride, me trying to emulate Indurain and him Bugno. I watched the first part of Armstrong era, but started getting turned off when he kept winning. When Lemond flat out called out Armstrong publicly, I quite following. Plus I started working, so that probably added to it. At this point, should I assume Indurain was probably also doping? Wasn’t everyone?

I just got into at tleast keepijg up with the TDF again a couple of years ago, and really wanted to believe that Froome was clean. I’ve got to stop being naive. In this sport, the saying “if you’re not cheating, you’re not trying” really applies. By the way, after all this time since that that era, has there been any evidence that any of the various cheating techniques have any long term effects on the riders’ health?

Anyway, any longshots in the field that I should latch onto?
Old 07-17-2018, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
I used to watch regularly every summer during the Indurain era. My friend and I would watch and then ride, me trying to emulate Indurain and him Bugno. I watched the first part of Armstrong era, but started getting turned off when he kept winning. When Lemond flat out called out Armstrong publicly, I quite following. Plus I started working, so that probably added to it. At this point, should I assume Indurain was probably also doping? Wasnít everyone?

I just got into at tleast keepijg up with the TDF again a couple of years ago, and really wanted to believe that Froome was clean. Iíve got to stop being naive. In this sport, the saying ďif youíre not cheating, youíre not tryingĒ really applies. By the way, after all this time since that that era, has there been any evidence that any of the various cheating techniques have any long term effects on the ridersí health?

Anyway, any longshots in the field that I should latch onto?
The overall victory takes such mental strength never to have a real bad day, and requires such a strong team, that it's not really in play for a long shot these days. It's arguably the year for a new face, though - Froome is trying to double up the Giro and the Tour, an epic achievement that has defeated legends of the sport, plus he's just starting to get into the Autumn of his career where the next generation should be starting to take him on straight up in the mountains. The remaining TT is also quite hilly and short - he can't rely on burying all the climbers like he usually does in the test.
Unfortunately for everyone else, the guy is a mental colossus - what he did in the Giro, with the salbutamol fiasco hanging over his head, just crushed souls. He's got the entire peloton in his back pocket, psychologically speaking, which is why he's evens at the bookies and the 2nd favourite (Nibali) is 8-1.

Primoz Roglic, Slovenian ex ski-jumper (!) is a good one to keep an eye on - he has the tools to contest the GC (excellent time trialler, climbs well), but has yet to take that step. He's had a great year, and is quietly in contention (15 secs behind Froome currently), so is in a great spot to show the world what he can do with the mountains starting.
Dan Martin won earlier in the week with a savage closing effort that shows the form is there. Unfortunately he's had a painful crash in the interim so we'll have to see if he's over that - he's be a pick for another stage win if he is.
Most interesting thing for me is what will happen with Geraint Thomas - he's a popular rider here in the UK, has a warm sort of personality that contrasts markedly with cyborg Froome. Absolute animal on the bike but has always suffered with concentration that makes him vulnerable to a crash or one horrific day. He seems in excellent shape right now so be interesting to see how that plays out.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:21 AM

What an epic stage on the cobbles. The Tour has arrived after a boring week of sprint stages.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:38 AM

Great stage today... to bad Thomas won like a fucking coward.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar bear View Post
Aye, I didn't like the cowardly way he dropped Bardet, Froome, Nibali, Roglic, Quintana and then Dumoulin on that final climb

Didn't expect him to take Nieve in the last K though - thought Nieve had it but must have been suffering. Great stage all round.

Last edited by Busy Scissors; 07-18-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Some of his GC rivals lost as much or more, but Sky can't just sit back and wait for others to attack them as they seem to have done in the past.
Well, we got the answer to that question today.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
is that a serious comment? looked like a great ride to me.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
is that a serious comment? looked like a great ride to me.
Yeah, I didnít really have a problem with what he did. Iím a Dumoulin fan, but he was in a tough spot tactically in the final few km.

Option 1: ride pace to try and stay away from Froome. Problem is Thomas has no incentive to work with him. He can sit up and wait.

Option 2: Try to get Thomas to go around and mark him. Problem is Froome and Martin definitely catch him. Froome did anyhow.

At that point in the stage he was kinda stuck but I loved the attempt. The benefit to an attack on the previous downhill was that he could ride pace to the summit finish, which is far easier than marking people all the way up. And if my math is right, he was 30s slower. The aero benefit you get while riding in a pack is reduced going uphill so thatís less of an issue. I could be wrong thought, he might lose 15 min tomorrow.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm View Post
Yeah, I didnít really have a problem with what he did..
I guess that's what I'm not understanding. What is there in anything he did to be critical of? He seemed to time his ride and conserve his energy enough to blow away the competition. Certainly the commentators I listened to gave no hint that anything about it might be considered "off" in any way.

(noob warning - I'm only a fair-weather cycling spectator and not up on the intricacies and nuances of cycling tactics and etiquette)
Old 07-19-2018, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I guess that's what I'm not understanding. What is there in anything he did to be critical of? He seemed to time his ride and conserve his energy enough to blow away the competition. Certainly the commentators I listened to gave no hint that anything about it might be considered "off" in any way.

(noob warning - I'm only a fair-weather cycling spectator and not up on the intricacies and nuances of cycling tactics and etiquette)
Iím not clear on that part of it either and Iíve been watching cycling for longer than I care to admit. My guess is itís either that he took time out of Froome or wheelsucked Dumoulin only to attack with a km to go.

Iím a Dumoulin fan and I donít see any issue.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
It says Sky on his jersey.

That's all there is to it really - Thomas just rode the elite of world GT cycling off his wheel, so a comment like the one above would be taken as an ironic jest from someone knowledgeable, or total cluelessness from a noob. With Sky, though, you have the third option of some cycling fans hating them that much that no credit may be given ever. Silly, IMHO, as we all have our favourites but game is game, and must be recognised as such.

Cav and Kittel eliminated yesterday - Cav by miles and I think Kittel was just a few minutes outside the cut-off. Both having tough Tours so the writing was on the wall. David Millar wrote a nice piece on his blog about Cav last night here

Massive stage today - a Holy path over Col de la Madeleine, Croix de Fer and finally the inner sanctum of Alpe D'Huez.

Last edited by Busy Scissors; 07-19-2018 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:24 AM

Thanks for the input guys, I thought I was missing something obvious.

Today's stage looks fascinating. I'm full of admiration anyone for anyone who can power their way up these mountains. I spend a lot of time in the alps and driving up the roads can be taxing enough.

My favourite cycle nutter was the chap I saw 2300 up the Grossglockner road in Austria in full racing lycra...........on a unicycle.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:01 AM

I was referring to wheel sucking Dumoulin, he could have put far more time into the other and still win the stage fairly easily. Given how he attacked just before Froome caught up (why o why did Dan Martin feel the need to bring him back towards the others), he wasn't really holding out for his team leader.

It would be funny if he ends up losing the tour by a few seconds from Froome. In the end it could be interesting to see what happens within the team... will they go for Thomas? I heard yesterday he has never ended higher than 15th in a grand tour.

In addition to that there is more than enough reason to hate sky. By far the most money, really only interested in one race a year and wining it in the equivalent of cattenacio (while being not quite as transparant as others with regards to doping etc.). The Giro (not just this year) was so refreshing without the Sky train, even with Froome winning it this time.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
k
Quote:
I was referring to wheel sucking Dumoulin, he could have put far more time into the other and still win the stage fairly easily. Given how he attacked just before Froome caught up (why o why did Dan Martin feel the need to bring him back towards the others), he wasn't really holding out for his team leader.

It would be funny if he ends up losing the tour by a few seconds from Froome. In the end it could be interesting to see what happens within the team... will they go for Thomas? I heard yesterday he has never ended higher than 15th in a grand tour.

In addition to that there is more than enough reason to hate sky. By far the most money, really only interested in one race a year and wining it in the equivalent of cattenacio (while being not quite as transparant as others with regards to doping etc.). The Giro (not just this year) was so refreshing without the Sky train, even with Froome winning it this time.
I personally donít hate Sky so much as their domination makes the tour boring. I expect we will see the same headed up Huez today. Itís a smart strategy (putting 6 guys up front to drive the peloton at a pace no one can effectively attack), itís just boring and they are able to implement it because they spend money (smartly).

People hate them because of the financial aspect but also because of how much they remind people of US Postal, Discovery, to a lesser extent T-Mobil and Festina. All dominant teams that the smaller teams had no hope of competing with. These four had something else in common as well...and thatís what those who hate Sky, I reckon, are most afraid of - fair or not.

I personally have watched long enough to be able to compartmentalize all of this. I want Froome to lose because Thomas winning or Dumoulin winning would be a much more interesting race.

Oh...I had no trouble with Thomasí tactics. Save the longer attacks for the final week and let someone else work.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

It's carnage out there today, all the sprinters are gone.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

For me, the most important question right now is simply whether or not Geraint Thomas has a bad day, which he has had in the past. If he doesnít and his form is truly this good, it will be extremely tough given his TT ability. Tom Dumoulin is good, but he isnít Ďtake back 2 minutesí good.

The only move I see is for Nibali, Dumoulin, and Bardet to attack on one of the downhill finishes. All three can descend like nobodyís business and with the three going together, no one is pulling them back. I donít see any way in hell they agree to work together, however.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm View Post
For me, the most important question right now is simply whether or not Geraint Thomas has a bad day, which he has had in the past. If he doesnít and his form is truly this good, it will be extremely tough given his TT ability. Tom Dumoulin is good, but he isnít Ďtake back 2 minutesí good.

The only move I see is for Nibali, Dumoulin, and Bardet to attack on one of the downhill finishes. All three can descend like nobodyís business and with the three going together, no one is pulling them back. I donít see any way in hell they agree to work together, however.
I guess you could say that whenever G has bombed previously he's been burying himself for Froome day in day out. So with the MJ on his shoulders it's a different game and he'll measure his effort in different ways.
Hope so but think it's optimistic, and Froome is still the bet. He's looking human but is the team leader and just has that gnarliness to bring it every day through week 3. V Interesting race either way.

Tom D looks strong - like a rock in the mountains, expect him to be on the premises all Tour. Not so good for Nibali, though - he hurt his back in that crash with the moto today and was driven to hospital with suspected cracked vertabrae. So is doubtful for tomorrow. I guess that's the Alpe - it's part of the fabric of the Tour but is so chaotic [someone aimed a geriatric punch at Froome as he rode past, as well].
Old 07-19-2018, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Nibs is confirmed out.

Sky is looking pretty good for a 1-2 finish. If G doesn't have a bad day, I also don't really see how Froome is likely to catch him. This leads to a rather interesting dynamic - if Froome were to win, he'd be joining the 5-consecutive-Tour-wins club, as well as achieving the absolutely unheard-of feat of winning 4 GTs in a row. And the only man standing in his way is his teammate. Is it Lemond-Hinault again?
Old 07-19-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
Nibs is confirmed out.
I didn't see what happened. MSNBC reruns their coverage a few times during the day, maybe I'll get to see it there.

Quote:
Sky is looking pretty good for a 1-2 finish. If G doesn't have a bad day, I also don't really see how Froome is likely to catch him. This leads to a rather interesting dynamic - if Froome were to win, he'd be joining the 5-consecutive-Tour-wins club, as well as achieving the absolutely unheard-of feat of winning 4 GTs in a row. And the only man standing in his way is his teammate. Is it Lemond-Hinault again?
This would be Froome's fifth win, but not on the trot (as he would probably call it). He won the Tour in 2013, crashed out early in '14, won '15, '16, '17.

It's interesting that Dumoulin is only 11 seconds behind Froome for second place. I'm not sure what Team Sky's going to do. Do they craft their strategy around getting Thomas the win, and risk disappointing Froome? Or do they let Froome attack Thomas, but if Dumoulin can hold Froome's wheel and then make up 12 seconds, Sky could see the Tour win go to Sunweb.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Tom is a pretty safe bet to take more than 12 seconds out of all the other GC contenders in the ITT, so yeah, Froome needs time on Dumoulin. There's a lot of racing left, though, and both Froome and Dumoulin have the Giro in their legs. Either could end up with loss of form in the third week.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:45 AM

Couple of vids on twitter showing it was a spectator's camera strap that brought down Nibali - goes down really hard, and then gets a helpful push on his back to get going

https://video.eurosport.co.uk/cyclin...83/video.shtml

What a mess - Hope he can recover OK.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Scissors View Post
Couple of vids on twitter showing it was a spectator's camera strap that brought down Nibali - goes down really hard, and then gets a helpful push on his back to get going

https://video.eurosport.co.uk/cyclin...83/video.shtml

What a mess - Hope he can recover OK.
Video won't play in the U.S.

I'd forgotten what a disgraceful zoo the spectators are on some of those mountain climbs.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ugh. I love the passion of the fans but there seems to be a large number of oblivious idiots.

Looks like nothing much will happen in today's stage.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:

I'd forgotten what a disgraceful zoo the spectators are on some of those mountain climbs.
Here's one view (with some NSFW language), but it's really tough to see what happened. This article has another view of it, and again, you can't really see what happened. But both links do show that "disgraceful zoo" doesn't begin to describe the scene.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:27 AM
Shouting Grasshopper

Police accidentally tear gas several Tour de France riders amid farmers' protest

Last edited by blondebear; 07-24-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:35 PM

Did you see Phil Gil's crash? Misjudged a corner and had a spectacular over the bars down a ravine - thankfully he was OK(ish), climbed back out and finished the stage. Believe he has pulled out of the Tour now as he hurt his knee in the crash.

Race is very well poised - have to say G looks really good and at this point I don't think he's going to crack and have a bad day all on his lonesome. He might if Tom D can put it to him but that's easier said than done with no team help and Froome on his shoulder. If Sky want to guarantee the win then Froome should prob attack tomorrow as TD would need to pull him back solo and G could just sit on - whether that is feasible between the two Sky riders I don't know. Otherwise, if G does indeed crack then Dumoulin is in the driving seat as he could take it all in the TT.
It's a very short stage tomorrow - three mountain climbs but just 65K. It's actually a gridded start, which sounds quite gimmicky but given the state of the race maybe we'll see some explosivity!
Old 07-24-2018, 01:58 PM

All the doping scandals pretty much soured me on the whole thing. It's almost as if the winner will be the guy they weren't able to catch cheating.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
All the doping scandals pretty much soured me on the whole thing. It's almost as if the winner will be the guy they weren't able to catch cheating.
Great post mate. Would read again.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's a very short stage tomorrow - three mountain climbs but just 65K. It's actually a gridded start, which sounds quite gimmicky but given the state of the race maybe we'll see some explosivity!
I really hope so. The stages have been interesting for the breakaways and the chases, but the top 10 have barely changed in the past half dozen stages. It's still interesting viewing, but there's little volatility in the general classification. We need a stage to really blow things apart.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Did you see Phil Gil's crash? Misjudged a corner and had a spectacular over the bars down a ravine - thankfully he was OK(ish), climbed back out and finished the stage. Believe he has pulled out of the Tour now as he hurt his knee in the crash.
Just saw that. Ouch.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just saw that. Ouch.
Me too. Ouch indeed.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Great post mate. Would read again.
I chuckled, but there is a serious point here, isn't there? Maybe this isn't the thread to be discussing it, so I won't make a prolonged hijack, but what do the experts think about whether Team Sky is legit, or not? I did a quick Google search and found this from December 2017 - I assume Walsh hasn't publicly spoken about the subsequent dropping of the Froome investigation.

I want to believe in Wiggins, Froome (and Thomas) and Team Sky but as Walsh has also said in the past, they said they would hold themselves to higher standards and they haven't really done that. So the suspicion will always be that they are simply better at skirting the fringes of the rules than anyone else. None of that justifies the behaviour of some of the crown towards them, of course. Froome and Thomas must be somewhat glad that England didn't get to the World Cup Final and beat France, not sure it would even have been safe for them to participate in that scenario.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
I want to believe in Wiggins, Froome (and Thomas) and Team Sky but as Walsh has also said in the past, they said they would hold themselves to higher standards and they haven't really done that.
There's a certain irony in seeing the guys with #PassOnPlastic on their jerseys throwing water bottles and food wrappers all over France.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:35 AM

Good racing today, if not the explosion we were hoping for. Superb climbing from Quintana - you can criticise him for the usual reasons of not doing it when it counts etc, but just in terms of watching an artist at work on the bicycle that was impressive. The G-Man looks like he has it - Froome cracked, he's the strongest rider there.

State of the gridded start - doubt we'll be seeing that again any time soon. Would have been funny to see one of the Leaders go off cyclcocross style, just to highlight the ridiculousness of it all, in the event they all just casually clipped in and rolled off.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Good racing today, if not the explosion we were hoping for. Superb climbing from Quintana - you can criticise him for the usual reasons of not doing it when it counts etc, but just in terms of watching an artist at work on the bicycle that was impressive. The G-Man looks like he has it - Froome cracked, he's the strongest rider there.

State of the gridded start - doubt we'll be seeing that again any time soon. Would have been funny to see one of the Leaders go off cyclcocross style, just to highlight the ridiculousness of it all, in the event they all just casually clipped in and rolled off.
I keep hearing how good Quintana was, but it was as much a function of Sky feeling he wasnít a threat anymore as it was his climbing prowess. After the initial attack he didnít really add any extra time. If the GC crew felt he was a threat, they wouldíve marked him. Every rider ahead of him is a far superior time trialist.

Iím about 85% sure the race is over, but Saturday is hard. Some team needs to shatter sky up Tourmalet then keep the pace high up Aubisque and nearing the last 5k of the climb, Dumoulin and Roglic need to convince Bardet and his descending prowess to go with them with the promise of the stage win. The three of them can handle a bike and are strong enough to stay away on the descent.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:

speaking of which, has the Devil made an appearance? My Fubo trial ended on Bastille Day, so nothing but clips for me.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Kinda funny coming from someone that watches the sport that has been the epitome of hypocrisy when it comes to drug testing.

The Tour is there for Thomas to win. He hasn't put a foot wrong the entire race, hasn't even looked like he might possibly have potential to be having a bad day (unlike Simon Yates at the Giro, when there were small cracks in the armor early in week 3). And Froome is almost certainly going to end up 3rd, Dumoulin will pass him in the time trial.

Dumoulin can win if he can take 4 seconds per km off Thomas on the last time trial, which I believe is a hilly 31km course. That doesn't sound impossible to me.
Either of those three winning would be really cool, for different reasons.

Last edited by DragonAsh; 07-26-2018 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d3fect View Post
speaking of which, has the Devil made an appearance? My Fubo trial ended on Bastille Day, so nothing but clips for me.

I saw him in the Alps but only the once.