Old 04-03-2018, 09:21 AM

Michigan Gubernatorial Race

Here in a state that went trump by an rch we are having an election for Governor this year. On the Republican side we have Bill Schutte, the incumbent (and term-limited AG). Persona assessment: If you like Jeff Sessions, you'll love Bill Schutte. Also Lt. Gov. Brian Calley, who seems inoffensive enough but is handicapped by the Rick Snyder Flint water crisis taint. I've already seen one Calley commercial, though, calling his opponent "Shady Schutte".

For the Dems we have a wider field including the establishment pic Gretchen Whitmer, retired businessman but political neophyte Bill Cobbs, another businessman Shri Thanadar, whose major contribution to the campaign so far has been a commercial making fun of his own name, and Abdul El-Sayid, a Musim doctor who does at least have some governmental experience as Wayne county health commissioner, and he's only 34 years old! If Whitmer is the (Hillary) Clintonesque candidate, Thanadar is the Bernie Bro, at least that's been my impression. Cobbs seems to think that if people voted for a businessman outsider from the right for president, they'll vote for a businessman outsider from the left for Governor. Not sure if being African-American helps or hurts anymore. I did see a debate between the latter three candidates a couple of weeks back. (Whitmer was unable to attend.) I was actually most impressed by El-Sayid but am not sure if the state would vote for a thirty four year old.

Any other folks, especially Michigan residents, want to weigh in on this one?
Old 04-03-2018, 09:33 AM

I want to win. My first choice would be Shri Thanadar as he seems to be the most reliably liberal of the lot. El-Sayid is a good candidate, but unfortunately Islamaphobia may be hard to overcome. Yes, Gretchen is the establishment Democratic candidate and I expect her to take the nomination. I am definitely not ruling out Shri, I think his self-effacing commercials may do for him what "one tough nerd" did for Snyder in 2010.

Shuette is a smarmy little prick who ran for AG for the sake of running for governor. He's trying to milk the Nassar scandal for all it's worth, at one point being very improper (as in Nixon-Manson) in labeling Nassar a monster way before trial. Of course, like all Republican AGs he joined suit against the ACA. I agree that Calley is a generic inoffensive Republican in the Romney-Milliken mold, I think the GOP nomination is a tossup.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was actually most impressed by El-Sayid but am not sure if the state would vote for a thirty four year old.
I would expect that his religion and his name would be a bigger handicap than his age. They shouldn't be, but I expect they will.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
\

Abdul El-Sayid, a Musim doctor who does at least have some governmental experience as Wayne county health commissioner,
Correction: He headed the City of Detroit's health department.

I like Abdul, I saw him speak at Hope College in Holland. He's got a great story-- medical doctor who wanted to focus more on public health than patient care; came to the U.S. as a child from Egypt, step-mom converted to Islam so much of his family is still Christian, was a professor at Columbia University, Rhodes Scholar, did some pretty incredible things with virtually no budget at the City of Detroit. I was hoping he'd get more mainstream endorsements, but the big names seem to be moving around Whitmer. Early in the year, a group of Dems (white dudes) got together in an attempt to recruit another candidate-- notably Sen. Gary Peters-- to run. Their reason was that they thought a candidate like Whitmer with little state-wide name recognition, who has no connection to Detroit, was going to struggle to win against someone like Schuette. The optics, however, were that a group of white dudes were colluding to push Gretchen Whitmer aside. Regardless, all those guys have since come together to endorse her.

I would love to see Whitmer tap El Sayed as her running mate. I think that would help pick up some progressive votes, as well as solidify the Wayne County/Detroit vote.

This should be the Dem's race to win-- we typically hand the governor's mansion to the party opposite the one in the White House, plus under total Republican rule in Lansing, we've gotten the still-unresolved Flint debacle, an education system that has absolutely tanked under Devos Lobbying Dollars, roads that everyone wants fixed but Republicans refuse to fund, a Right-to-Work law that nobody but right-wing plutocrats wanted, and repeated attacks on local government autonomy. Should be an absolute slam dunk, but I'm not 100% sure the Dems are quite tall enough to reach the rim. I really, really hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 04-03-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Is Islamophobia really a thing in Michigan? I would have thought the Arab-American population was large enough and long-established enough to dissipate it, at least mostly.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Is Islamophobia really a thing in Michigan? I would have thought the Arab-American population was large enough and long-established enough to dissipate it, at least mostly.
It's pretty large in Wayne and Oakland Counties (with some in Macomb), but most of the state is pretty non-Muslim. I moved to the west side of the state a few years ago from Dearborn (the epicenter of Arab culture in the Midwest), and people have said some pretty ignorant things when I tell them where I moved from.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Certainly we have more Muslim residents than other states. But they're generally concentrated in urban areas- Dearborn in particular as well as the metro Detroit area in general as well as college towns. But the rural areas and smaller cities harbor a great many people more disposed to Islamophobia. A congressional seat would be doable, I'm not sure that a statewide win is possible.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I want to win. My first choice would be Shri Thanadar as he seems to be the most reliably liberal of the lot.
Or maybe not

Quote:
Thanedar has referred to himself as a “fiscally savvy Bernie,” and is pushing a platform full of Sanders’s progressive policy priorities. He’s claiming he will advocate for things like a single-payer health care system and a $15 minimum wage, both of which are uphill battles in Michigan and can only pass with a committed governor and legislature who do not abandon them out of political timidity.

Joe DiSano, who runs the Michigan-based consulting firm DiSano Strategies, told The Intercept that he first met with Thanedar in January 2017, before he announced his bid for governor. “Shri didn’t know what party banner to run under. But he was certainly running,” DiSano said.
[...]
Hemond, who is a prominent Michigan Democratic consultant, was joined by Dan McMaster, a prominent Republican consultant, as well as Brian Began, a former staffer for Michigan’s House Republican Caucus. At the meeting, they asked Thanedar what party he was thinking of running in.

To their surprise, Hemond said, Thanedar told them it didn’t matter.

“He came to us looking for advice about running for governor, and was obviously in the market for a consultant,” he said. “We asked him what party he wanted to run from and he said he didn’t care. He said whichever side we thought he had the best chance to win on. Which we thought was interesting.”
Old 04-07-2018, 08:18 PM

One thing about Muslims in Metro Detroit is that around a quarter of the "Arabs" in the area are actually Chaldean, and new immigrants are now predominantly from that subculture, which often denies that they are Arab (even if they are culturally Arab and thus to most people indistinguishable), and are often very opposed to Islam due to repression of their religion (Eastern Catholic) in Iraq. They are especially concentrated in the northern suburbs, particularly Troy and Sterling Heights (where I'm from), rather than the southern suburbs like Dearborn. I don't know of any mosques in this area, but I know of multiple Chaldean churches.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:52 AM

Islamophobia is indeed a thing in Michigan. Second-tier Republican candidate trashes second-tier Democratic candidate over supposed parental "ties" to Muslim Brotherhood.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...governors-race

The amusing part is where Colbeck says: "But we also have somebody that I will be likely running against in the general election." It is, frankly, likelier that I will face Al-Sayed in the general and I'm a Democrat.

But how many bargain-basement trumps are there out there?
Old 04-26-2018, 10:05 AM

Already the Facebook extreme right wing nut jobs are on the case. The text of a post being shared lately: ABDUL AL-SAYED IS RUNNING TO BE THE FIRST MUSLIM GOVERNER (sic) IN THE NOVEMBER 2018 ELECTIONS TO TURN ALL OF MICHIGAN INTO DEARBORN! ONLY YOU CAN STOP THIS. STAND UP AND FIGHT TO TURN MICHIGAN RED!
Old 04-26-2018, 10:19 AM

The irony here is that these are the same folks who complain about Muslims not assimilating. I can't think of a better way of assimilating in a democratic society than by running for office.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:19 PM

Residency question about El-Sayed seem to have been laid to rest. Bill Cobbs failed to get enough valid signatures so he's out. The Republicans held their first debate last night and fell all over each other trying to board the trump train. A good tactic for the primary, not so much perhaps come November.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:19 PM

MIRS (Michigan Information & Research Service) has released polling numbers, although they require a subscription to read their articles.

I did find a screenshot of the article on...*warning!*... Facebook.

Dem poll numbers:
Whitmer- 40%
Thanedar- 19%
El Sayed- 17%
Other- 2%
Undecided- 22%

Pub poll numbers:
Schutte- 45%
Calley- 16%
Colbeck- 8%
Hines- 4%
Other- 6%
Undecided- 21%

The poll also shows Whitmer beating Schutte in a head-to-head, 42-37.

Abdul's still my pick, but I'll gladly get behind Whitmer if (when) she pulls out the victory in August. I also still hope she'll pick Abdul as her running mate; I sorta watched the Dem debate and it didn't seem there was too much bad blood between them, and I can't think of anyone else in the state (notably, from Wayne County) who she might pick that would have the same state-wide name recognition or experience campaigning across the state at that point.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:54 AM

I sure hope Whitmer can win this thing. Schutte combines the worst attributes of Pence and Sessions and is working on incorporating trump's as well.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:39 AM

The GOP has obviously concluded that Gretchen Whitmer has the nomination sewn up. Already the so-called Americans for Prosperity has put out ads calling out Whitmer for voting for [gasp] raising taxes! Yaaaaaah! Run for the hills! Tax increases!
Old 07-02-2018, 10:02 AM

They will also certainly try to tie her to Hillary and former governor Granholm due to the whole lacking a penis thing.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:25 PM

Things gettin' a little stinky on the Pub side: Ingham prosecutor refers request for investigation of AG Bill Schuette to FBI
Old 07-03-2018, 02:36 PM

Interesting. There are those who also say that Schutte's Flint related prosecutions smack of political attempts to embarrass Calley, who is Snyder's Lt. Gov.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:37 PM

Gretchen's ad is a good one. I don't watch over-the-air tv much, but it's apparently running quite a bit.

Fix the damn roads.

I still like Abdul, but I think this ad really, really works well because it speaks to a serious state-wide problem that affects absolutely every single voter-- rich, poor, black, white, drivers, bus riders, bikers, young, old, blue collar, white collar, unemployed, students, Republican, Democrat, independent, etc.

Our roads f*cking suck, everyone wants them fixed, Republicans have been unable to do anything about it. Nothing. Bupkis. She addresses a simple issue of fixing the infrastructure that doesn't get into the weeds of healthcare or guns or opioids or pensions or or labor or Trump or whatever. That stuff will be addressed, but a nice simple message that resonates with a shit-ton of voters is a winner, 99 times out of 100.

She may have to expand upon that message for the general, but it should be enough to get her through the primary with no problems.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 07-17-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:52 PM

I will say about Gretchen: Her nasally Michigan accent is a bit grating. It was the first thing my wife said after watching the ad. And I say this as a native Michigander who's been told on more than one occasion that he has a thick Michigan accent.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:18 PM

Seems like every time I go on the net I see an anti-Whitmer add of dubious origin. I think Thanadar is behind them because they talk about her supposedly cozy relationship with insurance and drug companies.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:18 PM

Actually, after a little research, I've discovered that the group has Republican ties, but it sure looks like it's hitting her from the left.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...nks/761310002/
Old 07-18-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
I will say about Gretchen: Her nasally Michigan accent is a bit grating. It was the first thing my wife said after watching the ad. And I say this as a native Michigander who's been told on more than one occasion that he has a thick Michigan accent.
Michiganders don't have accents, everyone else talks wrong.

I'm going to cast my vote for Gretchen. As good as Abdul is, I'm afraid there aren't enough fair-minded people in the state to allow a Muslim to win. I've already noted the racist Facebook post targeting him, should he win the nomination it would really mobilize the bigot vote.

Schutte has been planning this run for years. I think he grandstanded both in the Flint water crisis and in the Nassar case. Trouble is, he is as likeable as a hemorrhoid.

In the end, unless we can flip the gerrymandered legislature, Gov. Whitmer is going to have absolutely no help from Republicans, just like Granholm. Republicans would rather have a Democratic governor fail than help her succeed and get re-elected.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:24 PM

Schutte is also taking point on the attempts to scuttle the "Voters, not politicians" amendment initiative.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...urt/791994002/

This is an anti-gerrymandering proposal that, unlike most other petition drives, managed to collect the requisite number of signatures without resorting to paid circulators. It would take redistricting out of the hands of the state legislature and invest that power in an independent commission. Needless to say this would not be good news for the Republicans in our state. The article does not mention that in addition to that long-term effect, there is also the short-term effect that the presence, on the November ballot, of this initiative would help drive Democratic turnout. Given his candidacy for Governor and his hope therefore to be on that ballot, this strikes me as a conflict of interest and I can't help but wonder if anybody is challenging it on that basis.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:40 AM

The fatal flaw in referendums is that the legislature can easily void them. Remember the minimum wage referendum? That was pre-empted by a law that raised it a lesser amount, and because it contained funding it was immune from being changed or repealed by referendum. So look for the Rethugs to pass a law that stipulates that redistricting will be done as it always has and appropriate a little money to it and presto- no referendum can touch it.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:47 AM

IANAL, but I think that referendums to pass (or repeal) laws are a different breed of cat than referendums to change the Constitution. I don't the latter is subject to the same kind of gamesmanship as the former. For instance, there was talk of a law to preempt the recreation marijuana vote scheduled for November (and also expected to drive Democratic turnout).
Old 07-19-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
IANAL, but I think that referendums to pass (or repeal) laws are a different breed of cat than referendums to change the Constitution. I don't the latter is subject to the same kind of gamesmanship as the former. For instance, there was talk of a law to preempt the recreation marijuana vote scheduled for November (and also expected to drive Democratic turnout).
Yes, the minimum wage law was not an amendment. But is the gerrymandering fix a proposed amendment? I think you're correct, amendments passed by referendum are immune to legislative chicanery.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
This confuses me a bit. If his only criteria for party affiliation was which side seemed to have the best shot at winning, does that mean that all his progressive ideals and beliefs he touts in his campaign are totally illegitimate? I mean, there is no way he could have run as a (R) and called for universal healthcare, $15 minimum wage, LGBTQ rights, etc.

Last edited by Ambivalid; 07-19-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
This confuses me a bit. If his only criteria for party affiliation was which side seemed to have the best shot at winning, does that mean that all his progressive ideals and beliefs he touts in his campaign are totally illegitimate? I mean, there is no way he could have run as a (R) and called for universal healthcare, $15 minimum wage, LGBTQ rights, etc.
That's the suspicion around these parts. He has no actual opinions, and shaped his platform around what he thought would garner him the most support. Just a really rich guy who had nothing better to do than throw his money at a governor's race.

In other news, Abdul had a bit of a boost from Alexandria O-C this past weekend, as they barnstormed the state and had pretty nice turnout (Flint: 500! Detroit: 700! Grand Rapids: 1,200! Ypsilanti: Crowd way over capacity for the venue!)

Now, this weekend, Bernie himself will be in Michigan doing GOTV rallies with Abdul in Detroit and Ypsi.

Gretchen wishes she had this level of enthusiasm. Really hope Gretchen, should she win next Tuesday, think about Abdul as her running mate. And, should Abdul win, he might want to consider Gretchen. Aside from the healthcare, I don't think they're that far apart.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 07-31-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:05 PM

Also, on the Republican side: Caley accuses Schuette of only working 104 days in the past eight years.

And apparently, when he was working, he was having his staff do political work for Low-Energy Jeb!
Old 07-31-2018, 10:27 PM

And more from the Republicans: An outfit calling itself "Better Jobs/Stronger Families (somehow they left out puppies)" is running this ad linking Republican candidate Calley to Democratic governor Jennifer Granholm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQQh5BfMnWg
Old 07-31-2018, 11:12 PM

And while not explicitly related to the governor's race, the Michigan SC ruled tonight that the anti-gerrymandering proposal will be on the November ballot. Praise be! I was actually feeling sick about how they might rule. I live in Ottawa County, the most conservative county in Michigan, and I can't tell you how popular the canvassers for this initiative were in both Holland and Zeeland. There were ALWAYS lines to sign the petition every time I walked past them. This was a hugely popular ballot initiative with people. Business groups, not so much. It would've sucked majorly if the Supremes ruled against this. I actually have hope for the next decade in Michigan, that people's votes for representation will actually matter.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Thanks, Calley. Gretchen can use this stuff in a couple months. Unless I'm terribly mistaken, it's Whitmer-Shuette in November. If it had been Whitmer vs Thenadar OR El Sayed, it might be a close Democratic race. Instead, I think they'll split the anti-establishment vote and Whitmer advances easily.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:30 PM

An internal poll commissioned by El-Sayed's team released today has him a lot closer to Gretchen than the landline polls that have been done previously.

Gretchen Whitmer 33.2
Abdul El-Sayed 27.4
Not sure 24.3
Shri Thanedar 15.1

The "not sure" contingent is interesting. Especially considering this poll was done before AO-C came to the state (as well as Bernie's final push). Wonder how much of that Abdul could snag before Tuesday as a result of the high profile rockstars coming out for him.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:48 PM

Abdul accused Whitmer of "money laundering" this week. Essentially of moving a half million in dark money through a couple of organizations into her campaign.

Ironically, while he was leveling this accusation, his campaign was taking some questionable money as well. About $62,000 from Rep. Abdullah Hammoud's (D-Dearborn) PAC, specifically. How it happened: several out-of-state El-Sayed donors were maxed out on campaign contributions, so they gave some whoppers to Hammoud's PAC, which then funneled a good chunk of that money into El-Sayed's treasury a day or so later. Now, from what I've read, it's against state law to make a contribution to a PAC with the expectation that it will be moved on to a candidate's campaign committee.

Now, I just can't imagine why several El-Sayed donors from out-of-state would suddenly decide to donate $90,000 to Rep. Hammoud, who represents a very solidly-blue state house district. Unless they had the expectation that it would be moved on to El-Sayed's campaign committee tout suite.

I would've had less of a problem with this if Abdul hadn't fucking Facebooked out that Gretchen Whitmer was guilty of money laundering at the exact same time his campaign was essentially accepting (potentially) illegally obtained donation dollars.

Story from Crains.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:09 PM

I seem to be talking to myself in this thread now, but damned if Abdul didn't turn this into a race.

I'm hearing 1,400+ at Cobo today with Bernie, plus another hefty rally in Ypsi (didn't catch any numbers on that one, but the video I saw looked like a sold-out concert at Pine Knob). Gretchen had about 300 at a picnic at a park in Detroit. Now, I know people at rallies don't equal votes, but could we be smelling an upset? Bernie was polling way behind Hillary (like 20+ points) in '16, and he beat her by almost 20,000 votes. If Gretchen can't get 1,000 people in the city of Detroit to come out for her for free food on a gorgeous Sunday before election day, well, I just don't know if there's enough there to overcome the enthusiasm around Abdul.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:51 PM

So this weekend I was supposed to do my homework about who to vote for and completely forgot. I guess I'll do it tomorrow. Anyone have any recommendations as to who to vote against the most? I care more about keeping completely unqualified people out of office than getting someone with the "right" political views in.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:53 PM

I'm willing to vote in either side's primary, too. (I voted for Kasich and Clinton in 2016.)
Old 08-06-2018, 06:45 AM

Seems to me that Shri is tanking now and Abdul is surging. Whether Gretchen hangs on is anyone's guess. I like either Abdul or Gretchen, but I fear Islamophobes would turn out in droves and we'd be stuck with Shitty Shuette.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:46 AM

Shri should tank after I saw his nonreaction to Colbeck's bigotry. (Sorry, didn't save the link.) I understand what you're saying, Bob, and mostly agree with you. But, Whitmer doesn't look like a sure winner either, so my calculating desire to play it safe isn't quite triggered. At this point, I'm leaning toward voting for Abdul, simply because he's the only one who looks like he's actually running for the damned job.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:38 AM

I can't argue with your logic either. At times it seems Whitmer is channeling Hillary, being the anointed one that the party wants and running for the general without bothering to show up for the primary. Maybe the Bernie fans can come out in great numbers to get Abdul elected, I'm just afraid his candidacy will mobilize the bigots.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:38 AM

Whitmer looks like the next governor of Michigan to me.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
Whitmer looks like the next governor of Michigan to me.
You've just afflicted her with the electoral equivalent to the Sports Illustrated cover jinx.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:01 PM

This is the first time, maybe ever, that I may walk into the booth and not fully know who I'm casting my vote for.

I like Abdul. But I grew up in Dearborn where his religion, his beard, his Arabic name and his hijab-ed wife would be no big deal. Now I live in west Michigan, and when I tell people-- political moderates and even liberals-- where I'm from, the things they say make my skin crawl. Ridiculous, ignorant anti-Muslim and anti-Arabic bullshit. Now i know he's got a lot of support in west Michigan-- hell, I went to see him speak at Hope College-- an evangelical school in Holland-- in early spring, before anyone was even paying attention to the campaign, and there were more than 150 people in the room to see him. He's charismatic and I like his message. But I think about the political moderates I know here in Ottawa and Kent Counties, and I just have a hard time picturing them voting for Abdul over Schuette.

Then there's Gretchen. Boring as fuck, and great observation upthread: It's like she's barely campaigning. Her social media presence has really only come to life in the past week or so. She seems to be letting her endorsements do the campaigning for her. Plus, my wife emailed her and Abdul's campaigns a specific question about something that's very important to us. Gretchen's (or her campaign's answer) was 100% the opposite of what we wanted to hear. Abdul's answer was much more open to interpretation, and seemed like he could be persuaded to hear both sides of the issue. So, I don't like her all that much, but I can totally see my Ottawa and Kent County moderate friends pulling the lever for her in November. And she would be better than Schuette.

Now I get it, a Democrat's probably not gonna win Ottawa County any time soon, but I'm just thinking state-wide, can Abdul get those moderate white voters whose only exposure to Islam is what they see on TV to vote for him? Can his amazing charisma and message persuade people? I just don't know.

So for the first time in six months, I'm actually leaning Gretchen. But I'm not happy about it, so who knows what I'm gonna do.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:22 PM

Winning is not the only metric. Beto is still unlikely to beat Cruz, among others, but the very fact that it is so much closer is big news. Even as we speak, Pubbies are looking over their shoulders, nervously thinking about some middle ground between sane people and Il Douche. Middle ground might as well be Middle Earth, they copped their power drugs from division and anger. They turn away from the Trump Orcs, they're fucked. Stick with them, also fucked.

And their brilliantly planned gerrymandering project may be about to bite them in ass. It was a mathematically brilliant plan, build districts with a few overwhelmingly blue, and build the rest to give the Pubbies a small but reliable advantage in most others. Playing the odds, that overall, they had legislated a clear and ongoing majority. If you most often win by one or two percent, then you most often win.

I don't really need to point out the vulnerability of that plan, do I?
Old 08-06-2018, 02:54 PM

You are correct, elucidator. Though you are likely to get snarky posts about "participation trophies". Forcing the "other guys" to expend resources on what they thought were safe seats does create opportunities elsewhere. And while todays computer programs do allow for gerrymandered district margins of victory to be shaved ever closer to facilitate taking more seats, it does make them vulnerable to wave elections than ever before.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Winning is not the only metric. Beto is still unlikely to beat Cruz, among others, but the very fact that it is so much closer is big news.
It would not matter to Cruz one bit.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

I'm biking though the UP, lots of yard signs. One of the riders who is, or was, a state senator ( or maybe rep) is very fascinated by the Dem race (he is Republican)

Brian
Old 08-06-2018, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It would not matter to Cruz one bit.

I think it would. When was the last time a vulnerable Senator launched a successful presidential campaign? He can’t be spending all that time in Iowa or New Hampshire and be out of touch with Texas.