Old 03-15-2011, 01:50 PM

Shogun 2: Total War, who's playing?

I didn't see a thread now that this game has come out. I figured I'd be the first to make it because I'm competitive like that. It's been like ten hours already. Who's playing?

I'm still waiting, because my shithole town doesn't have a Gamestop. This will be my first TW game and I'm a little worried. I hear the AI is kicking ass, and my ass is especially tender and virginal.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:00 PM

I'm waiting for this crummy work day to finish so I can start my first campaign game.

Heard good things about the multi-player this time around, so I'll probably give that a try later tonight as well.

And yeah, most reviews/reports from the trenches are that the AI IS improved. About the only complain I hear is that the DX11 renderer wasn't ready for prime time so we're stuck with DX 9 and no AA until the 1st patch.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 03-15-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:41 PM

My copy should come in the mail tomorrow. It was cheaper on Amazon.uk and it's steamworks anyway so best of both worlds.

I dunno though. I didn't really get into the last two games as much as I had in the past and I'm pretty burned out just having played through DA2. I was almost going to give this one a pass but the trailers really sold me on the style they were going for.

Here's hoping it recaptures the magic of moving my little pieces across a board. I still remember the little clicking sound they used to make in the first game.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:23 PM

Cool you can play the clan warfare mode with groups. I'm joining the SDMB Clan!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:06 PM

I'm downloading from Steam right now. I didn't pre-order and pre-load because they had the worst pre-order incentive ever; so bad that I actually avoided pre-ordering to not get it. I have tomorrow off, so I'll be able to put it through its paces. Based on the demo, I have high hopes for the game, but I'm going to make two predictions:
-The game will be buggy for a month or two. We all know that's just how games are these days.
-People will complain anyway.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max the Immortal View Post
I'm downloading from Steam right now. I didn't pre-order and pre-load because they had the worst pre-order incentive ever; so bad that I actually avoided pre-ordering to not get it.
Are you referring to the Team Fortress 2 equipment? I agree that it was pretty lame, but since I actually play TF2, that's what tipped the balance for me to pre-order.

The game itself is an evolution of Empire/Napoleon, with all the little niggling bits seemingly fixed. The interface is very clean, very sparse, although they haven't fixed the tiny fonts. The family tree from Rome and Medieval is back. You can now actually guide the leveling of your agents. For example, you can assign points to "Strategy" or "Warrior" for each general, with different bonuses depending on what you choose. You also have the choice of buying different retainers, like the boyhood friend who watches your back (-10% assassination) or a doctor to take care of you (-2% death from natural causes). Each agent (general, ninja, monk, geisha, etc.) has a different leveling tree.

I've started a single-player campaign as the Chosokabe clan and am well on my way to conquering the entire island of Shikoku. How does clan warfare work? I think I'd be open to joining an SDMB clan.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
Are you referring to the Team Fortress 2 equipment? I agree that it was pretty lame, but since I actually play TF2, that's what tipped the balance for me to pre-order.
Since I don't play TF2, the bonus is worth less than nothing to me. I don't want it cluttering up any menus. Is it really too much to ask that a pre-order bonus be related to that game and not a game I don't even own?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:29 AM

I just got my ass stomped in the tutorial
Old 03-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

You know, it's funny - I've played Napoleon steadily since it was released, but in the last two days I've had more old-timey fun with Shogun than all my time playing Napoleon put together.

It's not without bugs and balance issues, but it's still probably the best vanilla game Creative Assembly has ever released. Some things are bound to be fixed - archers are way overpowered, for instance, and the enemy leaves his towns emptied way too often - but overall, I'm very, very happy. And the movies and speeches are back! Yay!

Considering the great things the modders have accomplished with even Napoleon's hidebound development utilities, I fully anticipate great things even in Shogun 2's future. I'm also happy to see that CA have relaxed a bit with the DLC and rather put things into the vanilla game.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:08 PM

Five hours played, and the game runs much better than I expected from a new release. I'm playing as Chosokabe (the same clan from the tutorial), so the scenery is a bit familiar. I've conquered all of Shikoku (and Awaji) and snagged most of the trading posts (there's one way up north that's easy to miss on the radar map). The battle for the fourth city on Shikoku was a fierce one, and my clan leader died in the process. His widow is regent until Junior comes of age. I've built a Nanban trading port near Iyo to see what options that opens up, even though I don't plan to use firearms that much. I've noticed that bow samurai (at least the Chosokabe variety) aren't terrible in melee; like Medieval II's Genoese crossbowmen, perhaps? I think I'll turn my attention toward Kyushu next.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:42 PM

I have no interest whatsoever in Japanese history or culture, would this game still be fun for me?
Old 03-16-2011, 05:44 PM

Well, I too have little interest in Japanese history ro culture, and I'm loving the game. I think if you are interested in this type of gameplay (or total war games in general) you'll be safe.

I haven't this much fun with a total war game since Rome!
Old 03-16-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
Well, I too have little interest in Japanese history ro culture, and I'm loving the game. I think if you are interested in this type of gameplay (or total war games in general) you'll be safe.

I haven't this much fun with a total war game since Rome!
Hmm. I hated Empire but loved Rome: Total Realism and MTWII.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:15 PM

Bought it and downloading it but it's so huge it's taking forever, so I won't get to play until tomorrow night

I am a big fan of Japanese history and culture so add this to my love of strategy and I think we're in for a winner. The reviews have been uniformly positive so I'm confident.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:20 PM

Hell, I think I might pick this game up. Are the speeches in Japanese?
Old 03-16-2011, 09:14 PM

Yep. And all the English dialog is done with a Japanese accent

The AI, I've noticed, is much improved. It's more antagonistic, better at handling diplomacy, and on the battle field, it's quick to take the high ground and uses it's units well... most of the time.

It still occasionally does silly things. I was outnumbered considerably (2,500 troops vs 500). The AI should have easily flanked me and routed my troops in seconds. In stead it takes me head on, AND charges it's single calvary unit at my wall of spears.

It took entirely too many casualties on what should have been an easy victory.

Of course the next turn it manages to kick me out of my own fortress with a pretty evenly matched force.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:24 PM

In the previous games if you shared a border with someone, no matter how much trade you're doing and how good the relationship was, you'll be at war in very short order. Is that still true?
Old 03-16-2011, 10:31 PM

I'm holding off on buying it until a) the first rounds of patches are out and b) I'm done with my urgent work. Else it's going to become a lot more urgent
Old 03-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I just got solidly trounced and humiliated by the AI. Here I was, marching a third of my army including all my archers and a fourth of my infantry, through the forest to come in on the flank.

Suddenly,

NINJAS!

At which I point I went "Huh! Damnit, didn't see them there!"

Old 03-16-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gukumatz View Post
NINJAS!

At which I point I went "Huh! Damnit, didn't see them there!"

Well of course you didn't see them. Hell, there's a ninja out there right now trying very hard not to kill you.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

I'm playing but I need some serious help. My clan is constantly in a state of starvation and I have no idea why. I've researched every tech related to agriculture, I've built every upgrade to the fields and I'm at negative ten food with every province in a start of low grade rebellion. I have plenty of territories and lots of money coming in, trade agreements with like six other clans...but my folks are starving. WTF? Is there any way to buy food???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-XT
Old 03-16-2011, 11:48 PM

Any word on game-breaking bugs?

I just know they have to be here. I've played every Total War game since release, so I know how this goes.

Where are the game-breaking bugs?
Old 03-17-2011, 12:06 AM

54 turns in and I've added the island of Kyushu to my holdings. The Shoni clan put up a valiant fight, but ultimately paid the price for attacking me. My new 14-year-old Daimyo had a trial by fire; Now at age 19 he's got four stars. His strike force was very busy but spread thin. The war ended promptly after I landed a second fresh strike force on the other side of the island.

The most fun battle of that war was when I had 19-unit army defend a tiny fort (with ninja-sabotaged gates) from a horde of attackers. My 6 archer units were able line about 80% of the ramparts, but the enemy attacked from four different directions. My infantry and cavalry were just a huge overlapping mass in the middle ready to step in when attackers reached the ramparts. All of my archers ran out of arrows, so I actually had to send out a small cavalry sortie to take out that last enemy archer unit.

The campaign AI still has a fair bit of the Empire/Napoleon silliness. The Shoni navy definitely outclassed mine. They managed to keep my main port blockaded for over a year (totally crippling my economy), but they didn't attack any of my undefended trading posts in their back yard. They also had that tendency to send their forces around the countryside in groups of one to three.

I noticed that up north, Fukushima has been a major battleground. It changed hands four times in maybe two years. Eventually a new rebel clan arose to take control of it. I couldn't help but think, "Man, Fukushima just can't catch a break."
Old 03-17-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtisme View Post
I'm playing but I need some serious help. My clan is constantly in a state of starvation and I have no idea why. I've researched every tech related to agriculture, I've built every upgrade to the fields and I'm at negative ten food with every province in a start of low grade rebellion. I have plenty of territories and lots of money coming in, trade agreements with like six other clans...but my folks are starving. WTF? Is there any way to buy food???

-XT
The only solution I can think of is "don't build too many buildings that consume food". I get the impression that we're not supposed to have a maxed-out castle and market in each town.

As for game-breaking bugs, there was this earlier today, but it's fixed now.

ETA: Oh, and armies and navies move choppily when they have agents in them, but it doesn't seem to lead to any instability.

Last edited by Max the Immortal; 03-17-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:51 AM

Quote:

-XT
Exact same happened to me, and it kinda made me pissed. I think it was because I was castling up almost immediately. Now I wait till I have one or two provinces down and it works.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walmarticus View Post
Exact same happened to me, and it kinda made me pissed. I think it was because I was castling up almost immediately. Now I wait till I have one or two provinces down and it works.
Do the castles drain food away from the peasants to create siege stockpiles ? That would be neat, but other than that I fail to see how castles could lead to mass starvation.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walmarticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max the Immortal
The only solution I can think of is "don't build too many buildings that consume food". I get the impression that we're not supposed to have a maxed-out castle and market in each town.
I didn't even notice that buildings used food. I've maxed out all my castles and built every building I can build in each. The problems really started when I went to war and started expanding. When I captured 6 territories my food went negative, but I researched all of the agriculture technologies and I was able to get it back to 2. But as I added new territories after that it steadily went down (it's at negative 15 right now) and I have no idea how to fix it. I've had to station large garrisons because of the constant rebellions in the back field. But it's not a money thing, as I'm running at 4-5k per turn right now and have tons of money...it's just the constant attacks that are getting me down (you can't auto most of the sieges unless you have an overwhelming number of troops...but if you fight it out it seems to me that defending is even easier in this game than it was in other TW games).

I think that if it's the buildings doing this I'm going to have to restart, unless you can destroy buildings or castles.

-XT
Old 03-17-2011, 02:08 PM

I've installed it but haven't had a real chance to play it yet. What's the best clan to start with? The Chosuwhatevers from the tutorial? Having no understanding of Japanese history is holding me back a bit, the only clans I'd heard of were the Tokugawa and Oda clans.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

I don't know the clan names, but I think starting on one of the southern smaller islands is the best way to start off. I was able to expand from there with no problems. From the original game starting on the main island can be a bitch as everyone almost immediately attacks you (it might not be like that now) so you have to build up defenses and find choke points really fast.

-XT
Old 03-17-2011, 09:28 PM

The screen where you choose your faction will tell you the relative difficulty of a clan's starting position.

The whole business of buildings consuming food is kind of weird. It occurred to me that it's probably advantageous to concentrate on having a few large castles balanced out by a few backwaters. Better to spend one food to go from a 5% to 10% bushido mastery bonus than to spend the same food on going from 1% to 3% (admittedly this will cost more money). Plus, stables are more useful in towns with a wider variety of dojos. I can't yet declare how useful markets are; the first tier doesn't consume food, so it may be worthwhile to build several first-tier markets to boost your metsuke capacity without consuming food and one upgraded market (ideally in a province with the right bonus) from which to recruit skilled metsuke.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

It's the castles and their upgrades that consume the most food it seems. The first upgrade consumes two. The next three. If you upgrade all your castles as I did in the first game then you go negative on food and it's constant rebellions. Also, for some odd reason the rice exchange consumes two food, and some of the tech advances consume food too! So you really have to keep an eye on that. Money doesn't seem to be an issue at all for me but since you can't seem to buy or trade for food it's a resource you have to really watch. Doing a lot better in the second game. Picked the clan on the main island in the far north and it's been cake so far.

-XT

Last edited by XT; 03-17-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:08 PM

Ninja movies? Are they any good?
Old 03-17-2011, 11:28 PM

Castles and higher end markets consume food resources, so you won't be able to max out every territory. Playing to the strengths of the regions is fairly important.

My own impressions: the AI has finally been hugely upgraded from the earlier games in the series. I'm playing on Legendary so it's hard to tell how much is good army control and how much is GIANT PEASANT ARMY but it's putting up a decent challenge in the strategic campaign and watching out for its interests. It's harder to con them over with diplomatic carrots that don't actually help them, and they're more aggressive, not just sitting in provinces waiting for you to pick them off one by one. More importantly, the battle AI is far improved. I've seen cavalry dart in through a brief hole in my flank, and you don't see any of the "I'll just stand here under fire" unless you force them to with another threat. Evenly matched forces actually can go either way instead of "I automatically win because I'm a human".
Quote:
In the previous games if you shared a border with someone, no matter how much trade you're doing and how good the relationship was, you'll be at war in very short order. Is that still true?
Not unless you do something stupid. I've had a long-term (65-ish turns) trade partner on my border maintaining peace for a long time. An ally of theirs declared war on me due to my expansion near them, but my trade partner is still happily raking in the money from our 1300/turn partnership. The mouseover showing the modifiers on diplomatic relations suggests that honorable dealings with someone over the long term outweighs just about anything else except possibly religious differences.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:42 PM

I caved and bought it.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
It's the castles and their upgrades that consume the most food it seems. The first upgrade consumes two. The next three.
I thought that that's the total food consumption of the castle, not in addition to the previous rank. If I'm right, you should be able to have a lot of big castles if you don't build markets. I'll find out tomorrow. I've been holding back on building both castles and markets, and I just got the mastery for land consolidation. I'm at about +20 food. We'll see how things go tomorrow as I invade the Bessho and continue to build big swanky castles in my current holdings.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleciders View Post
Ninja movies? Are they any good?
See for yourself. Success vs. failure.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:24 PM

I got it, too. Sorry, but playing the Shimazu can be a mutha!

First I got going, made some newb mistakes but still got rolling, when I was attacked by a former friendly who got nervous.

And hit me when my forces were depleted by terrible battles.

With an army at least as big as all my forces.

OK, so I did some decent damage. I still was going to get stomped, because while my troops were reinforcing it was just taking too long, and they had knee-capped by second army.

So I restarted.

This time I made them my ally and cooperated via marriage, making them a much more reliable friend. While I'm unsure of how far I can allow them to exapnd, I think I'll be able to move fast enough. I almost feel like I'm playing Europa Universalis, with its complex diplomatic balancing acts.

My current enemy's campaign AI isn't giving me any help, however - they're tricky and keep their armies mobile and large. Sometimes they will send a force too small, and that's when you pounce and then strike back. But they've been surprisingly strong, and unfortunately I simply haven't had time to stand back and build my forces. So far I'm about 20 turns in and have a large army trying to cripple the north end of the island's defences. If this works (and I have their whole army beseiged, I'll be able to roll up their other settlements quickly. Down the line my lord's son will probably turn on his current allies, but that's for another day. Further, they hunted down and killed off three of my four trading ships, though I'm building a fleet to make sure that doesn't happen again. Still have money, though. Markets are very useful, even if you don't build them up further. Roads are no longer the best thing you can build, and there's some real choice about what you want to build.

I will probably go Christian, for the guns. I'm just not happy with the way masses of archers tend to work out. In fact, I've been (ahistorically) positioning archers behind the melee and then rushing them into the thick of it to break the enemy lines once all forces are engaged. The AI tends not to handle this well - it can unit-match, but it doesn't know what to do if you flank that effectively.

I also like that happiness management is easier. In previous games, I often would crank up my taxes and then fill the cities with huge hordes of old units and peasants, partly because a heavily-damaged unit was useless and if retrained lost all its bonuses. Now I want to keep my good units, and if they have to rest for a while it's no problem. - they'll be back in action in a year or so. Once I own all of Shikoko I will probably turn my baleful gaze on the Chokosabe, and then begin rolling up the southern end of Japan (or on the in-game map, the western end of the main island of Honshu)
Old 03-18-2011, 02:02 PM

Are you guys going pretty heavily down the line with bushido or way of chi, or are you kind of mixing it up?
Old 03-18-2011, 02:28 PM

Just had a proper hands on through the tutorial. First impressions are pretty good, it doesn't have the 'unfinished beta' feel of Empire or the 'glorified expansion pack' feel of Napoleon. One thing I hated there, probably due to the time period, is how battles were so damn boring. They all looked the same, line up your things that go boom and wait until the enemy falls over. For one thing, load times are far better - Empire took ages. They've obviously done some work in optimising the engine.

I'm glad gunpowder here is treated more like it was in Medieval II, exotic and rare. Melee clashes look great, the physics really make things entertaining - spear cav charges send men flying, as does artillery impacts. Gives the whole thing weight. Troops also seem less stupid, on both sides; mopping up after a battle is more how is should have been - Empire ruined it. Try and mop up an enemy in Empire and your stupid cav meander around from one fleeing man to another. Here, the Japanese cav goes straight for the bulk, allowing good old Total War style battles of annihilation.

The campaign map looks beautiful, and the fully rotatable thing works well. Unlike the samey battlefields of 18th century Europe (seen one rural field with a fort in the background, seen 'em all) where you fight actually matters. Also love the seasons. I was worried that it'd be a bit small, just the islands of Japan (minus Hokkaido) compared to the whole of Europe and parts of Asia and North Africa? Fortunately my fears were dashed, the map size is suitably epic.

This may have seemed like one big dig against Empire, but I think Empire did one thing better - naval battles. I've only fought a few in Shogun, but they lack...impact. Kind of the inverse of the land situation. Peppering with arrows lacks the same feel as blowing chunks of ships hulls off with cannon fire, splintering the wood and toppling masts. I do like way that land is included, though.

The little details are also great, like the way men lie writhing on the ground after a clash, the glinting katanas and spears and the ambassador's reactions in diplomacy. Siege battles are also a million times better than in Empire. Ninja movies - also great. Not sure about all the agents though, think they should have stuck to the assassin/spy dynamic from the earlier games - how exactly do geishas differ from ninjas? I'm sure this sort of stuff will come to me in time, but for the moment it's a bit confusing.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Are you guys going pretty heavily down the line with bushido or way of chi, or are you kind of mixing it up?
Not very far into it, but I'm going first into Bushido according to any missions I have (unlocking better units) and then far enough into Chi to manage my economy a bit more effectively. Post Roads and a little discounting and tax bonus can go a long way.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:49 PM

Okay, I'm going to have to backtrack a couple of turns in my campaign. I got a little bored of peaceful building and decided to attack another clan. That quickly filled up that fame gauge on the clan screen. Turns out that's kind of a big deal. The current shogun decided I was getting a little too big for my britches, and denounced me. All of the other clans promptly declared war on me. I want to finish exploring the masteries before diving into my first campaign's endgame.

Plus, I have more than enough income to support several more strike forces. I want to see how warrior monk archers compare to samurai archers. A 16.7% longer range probably isn't a huge deal in field battles, but it could be huge for castle assaults.

Quote:
I went bushido far enough to get a bow mastery for a Chosokabe mission first, then went chi mastery for a while. After gaining the ability to build the best farms (and getting monasteries along the way), I switched back to bushido; by then I could afford to build big castles in my territory for a hefty bushido mastery bonus.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Lost my first campaign. I ended up taking Kyoto, but I only had 36 provinces in the end. About the time I had half of the main island everyone decided to declare war on me at the same time. My allies, neutrals, everyone. So, I went from about 7k per turn to negative 2k instantly. Luckily I had over a 100k reserves, but with allies attacking forts I thought were behind the lines, and with the damn AI using deep strike landings in my rear area, it took me too long to re-establish the front and grind forward again. I just ran out of time (you only have until the end of 1600 to capture a list of provinces, including Kyoto which you have to hold for a year and 40 total territories).

It was pretty fun though. I have to say that with a tier two fortress, 4-6 archers, 2-4 spearmen and whatever garrison troops you get I was able to hold just about every defensive attack the computer could throw at me. It just doesn't seem to understand how to spread the defense and simultaneously attack from multiple directions. It does pretty good if you only have the tier 1 fort, but anything higher than that and it can take the outer works, but then sort of flails around getting shot up and eventually destroyed.

-XT
Old 03-19-2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Turns out that's kind of a big deal. The current shogun decided I was getting a little too big for my britches, and denounced me. All of the other clans promptly declared war on me.
That sounds a lot like Papal behaviour. Please, please tell me the Shogun is not as colossally annoying as the fucking Pope. "Cease this pointless war" ? Screw you, they attacked me, I'm just taking my shit back you pompous bastard ! Keep this up and you're not getting your yearly bribe, mister !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kobayashi
Not sure about all the agents though, think they should have stuck to the assassin/spy dynamic from the earlier games - how exactly do geishas differ from ninjas? I'm sure this sort of stuff will come to me in time, but for the moment it's a bit confusing.
You realize geishas were in the original, right ? They were ridiculously overpowered too - I once wiped out two powerful clans in a row and in a couple years, just by hunting down the heirline and hanging them all from the rafters with shamisen strings. Good times.

Anyway, I assume they do the same thing now as they did then: assassinations that hardly ever fail, and if they do you just lost a turn rather than your geisha as happens 90% of the time when ninjas bungle up their kill. In the first Shogun they also had much higher success percentages than ninjas of equivalent skill level - an 8 star general wasn't absolutely safe even from a newborn geisha, and since they could only die to another geisha they gained experience like crazy anyway.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:01 AM

I have to admit I was becoming disenchanted with the Total War series. The games were fine but it felt like I'd played them to death before I even picked them up (I have the same problem with the X2: The Threat series of games).

I'm having a blast with Shogun though. I don't know if is the art style or if they've just fixed a lot of the annoying crap they had added in some of the games but I'm enjoying this as much as the original Medieval Total War.

Just completed my Legendary playthrough. That was brutal I think I'm going to bump it down to normal from now on.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
That sounds a lot like Papal behaviour. Please, please tell me the Shogun is not as colossally annoying as the fucking Pope. "Cease this pointless war" ? Screw you, they attacked me, I'm just taking my shit back you pompous bastard ! Keep this up and you're not getting your yearly bribe, mister !
It's way way less intrusive. You'll get messages as your fame gauge fills up that the Shogun is concerned at the power you're amassing, and when the gauge fills he orders everyone to kill you (by that point you should in fact be a credible threat to him). Before then he pretty much gives you free reign. The only exception was a (random?) event in which the Shogun demanded tribute from each clan. You could choose to pay 2,000 koku or to defy him; I assume the latter choice fills up your gauge.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Yeah...he periodically hits you up for donations though, so it's good to make sure you have some cash on hand. Otherwise, if you diss him enough he turns against you...and I noticed when he finally thought I was threatening enough and went to war with me, even my allies went along. Next game I play I'm definitely going to have more field armies and possibly some cannon fodder garrison armies tagging along, so that when I take a castle I can break off parts of the cannon fodder army to garrison while I move on to the next objective. That's where I bogged down in the end of the last game. I only had 2 field armies because I was only fighting a couple of clans, and I thought my rear was secure so it was very lightly defended. When everyone went to war with me I got hurt pretty badly initially, especially when two different clans landed full stacks on some of my best provinces behind the lines.

-XT
Old 03-19-2011, 11:54 AM

I started a second game after I did a great job in the first getting my initial army slaughtered to the last man.

I'm loving it so far, although I can't figure out how to get my income up.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Research the stuff in the tech line on the far right...it will also help with your food. Build a harbor immediately and then build a bunch of trade ships. Send one off to each of the trade spots and if no one is there take it. Once you have trade ships there, build more and stack...each additional ship brings in like 50-100 gold. It adds up. (once you have some real money, build some sort of warship and send them to your trade stacks or someone will eventually come along and destroy them). Use diplomacy to trade with other clans, even if you have to pay initially to get it set up. Build everything that increases your income (while watching your food situation...some buildings, especially forts require food).

That's about it. I haven't had much issue with gold (until literally everyone turned on me at once). Food was a bigger problem. Sometimes when I was capturing enemy territories that had larger forts in them (and only the first tier agriculture...the computer so cheats in this game ) I would drop to 5 or 6 food, which is dangerously low to me (after my first disastrous game where I was always in the negative).

-XT

Last edited by XT; 03-19-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
It's way way less intrusive. You'll get messages as your fame gauge fills up that the Shogun is concerned at the power you're amassing, and when the gauge fills he orders everyone to kill you (by that point you should in fact be a credible threat to him). Before then he pretty much gives you free reign. The only exception was a (random?) event in which the Shogun demanded tribute from each clan. You could choose to pay 2,000 koku or to defy him; I assume the latter choice fills up your gauge.
That sounds a little silly... what year does the game start in? I saw a reference to a 1600 end date above.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cckerberos View Post
That sounds a little silly... what year does the game start in? I saw a reference to a 1600 end date above.
It starts around 1550; at four turns per year, the campaign is a similar length to the past few TW titles.