Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-07-2019, 08:33 PM
kambuckta is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Pilbara, Australia.
Posts: 10,129

Japan and South Korea moving south at an alarming rate.


It's not just a drift, they're moving faster than a tsunami.

Looks like some Americans might need a geography lesson, as poor old New Zealand is again mistaken for somewhere else.
  #2  
Old 09-07-2019, 09:01 PM
Aspenglow's Avatar
Aspenglow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
It's not just a drift, they're moving faster than a tsunami.

Looks like some Americans might need a geography lesson, as poor old New Zealand is again mistaken for somewhere else.
Gawd, we're embarrassing.
  #3  
Old 09-07-2019, 09:03 PM
Jackmannii's Avatar
Jackmannii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 32,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
Looks like some Americans might need a geography lesson
It was the American bureau of a Russian TV news channel that screwed up.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 09-07-2019 at 09:04 PM.
  #4  
Old 09-07-2019, 09:08 PM
kambuckta is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Pilbara, Australia.
Posts: 10,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
It was the American bureau of a Russian TV news channel that screwed up.
Yes, an AMERICAN bureau.
  #5  
Old 09-07-2019, 09:28 PM
Jackmannii's Avatar
Jackmannii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 32,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
Yes, an AMERICAN bureau.
So, if the Melbourne bureau of the New York Times made a major gaffe, we could laugh at how stupid Australians are?

Seriously, do you think Americans are in charge of an American bureau of the Russian RT news channel?

Last edited by Jackmannii; 09-07-2019 at 09:31 PM.
  #6  
Old 09-07-2019, 09:43 PM
kambuckta is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Pilbara, Australia.
Posts: 10,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
So, if the Melbourne bureau of the New York Times made a major gaffe, we could laugh at how stupid Australians are?
Yep, and Australians would be at the head of the queue taking the piss out of our own stupidity.

Quote:
Seriously, do you think Americans are in charge of an American bureau of the Russian RT news channel?
They certainly would be in charge of such things as providing maps. Seriously, would you think otherwise?
  #7  
Old 09-07-2019, 09:44 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 22,016
In Soviet Russia, countries are where Soviet Russia says countries are.

Doesn't quite work as a Yakov Smirnoff joke but it's the best I could figure out.
  #8  
Old 09-07-2019, 09:58 PM
Jackmannii's Avatar
Jackmannii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 32,316
It's amusing that kambuckta assumes that news organizations automatically turn over the running of their foreign bureaus to the locals. It's even more hilarious that kambuckta believes that the Russians would allow Americans access to their news operations.

Given the state of relations between the U.S. and Russia, I'd be surprised if the Russian RT news channel's operation in the U.S. even permitted an American to empty the trash.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 09-07-2019 at 09:58 PM.
  #9  
Old 09-07-2019, 10:09 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 85,488
So, can we laugh at the atrociously poor writing in the Guardian article, too? They make two different references to the New Zealand PR campaign that look like they forgot to remove the first one when they edited in the second, and they say that a map-shaped pile of chicken nuggets subscribes to Reddit.
  #10  
Old 09-07-2019, 10:14 PM
Johnny L.A. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 61,825
Russia Today sending out fake news? Say it ain't so!
  #11  
Old 09-07-2019, 10:21 PM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 82,832
If things had gone a little different at Coral Sea, this might have been accurate.
  #12  
Old 09-08-2019, 12:30 AM
Aspidistra is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 5,708
I feel like most Russians probably know where Japan is, in the same way that most Americans probably know where Mexico is.

Most.
__________________
Science created the modern world. Politics is doing its best to destroy it.
  #13  
Old 09-08-2019, 03:52 AM
kambuckta is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Pilbara, Australia.
Posts: 10,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
It's amusing that kambuckta assumes that news organizations automatically turn over the running of their foreign bureaus to the locals. It's even more hilarious that kambuckta believes that the Russians would allow Americans access to their news operations.

Given the state of relations between the U.S. and Russia, I'd be surprised if the Russian RT news channel's operation in the U.S. even permitted an American to empty the trash.
It's even more amusing that Jackmannii has his knickers in a twist about what was intended as a light-hearted jab at the US. Poor old NZ gets left off maps completely far too often, but this article, showing Japan in NZ and South Korea in Papua New Guinea was too delicious to ignore.

This is MPSIMS. If I really wanted to roast the US and their lack of geographical knowledge outside their own country, I would have put this in the Pit.

TL/dr, lighten up Francis.
  #14  
Old 09-08-2019, 04:32 AM
jz78817 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 12,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
It's even more amusing that Jackmannii has his knickers in a twist about what was intended as a light-hearted jab at the US. Poor old NZ gets left off maps completely far too often, but this article, showing Japan in NZ and South Korea in Papua New Guinea was too delicious to ignore.

This is MPSIMS. If I really wanted to roast the US and their lack of geographical knowledge outside their own country, I would have put this in the Pit.

TL/dr, lighten up Francis.
How about we stop being so eager to rush and grab every opportunity to point and laugh at each other about how stupid we are? These “lighthearted jabs” are repetitive, tedious, tiring, and not funny.
  #15  
Old 09-08-2019, 04:47 AM
kambuckta is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Pilbara, Australia.
Posts: 10,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
These “lighthearted jabs” are.....not funny.
Yes, they are funny. That is the whole point of the freakin' article FFS. It IS fucken funny that NZ was mis-labelled as Japan and PNG as South Korea regardless of who was responsible. That it was the US, which is notorious for the average Jose being unable to name many countries outside their borders ('specially in the southern hemisphere) is just a bit of extra icing on the Funny Cake.

Jesus, are you all so precious that you can't poke fun at yourselves sometimes? God help you.

  #16  
Old 09-08-2019, 05:07 AM
Bear_Nenno's Avatar
Bear_Nenno is offline
Endowment Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bavaria
Posts: 9,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post

Jesus, are you all so precious that you can't poke fun at yourselves sometimes? God help you.

Do you seriously not understand how this has absolutely nothing at all to do with Americans? We're not "so precious", it's just that you non sequitur joke blaming Americans for a Russian news report is stupid. Instead of admitting that you mistook a Russian news broadcast about Americans for an actual broadcast by Americans. When your error was pointed out to you, instead of saying "oooops", you double downed and blamed our poor sense of humor instead of your lack of reading comprehension.
  #17  
Old 09-08-2019, 05:11 AM
Bear_Nenno's Avatar
Bear_Nenno is offline
Endowment Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bavaria
Posts: 9,072
American bureau of the Russian news agency is not an office located in America and staffed by Americans. Its a group of Russians dedicated to reporting on the activity of the American government. In this case, they were reporting on our missile bases. Are you so precious that you can't admit your joke failed to be relevant to your target victims?
  #18  
Old 09-08-2019, 05:31 AM
Filbert is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
Do you seriously not understand how this has absolutely nothing at all to do with Americans? We're not "so precious", it's just that you non sequitur joke blaming Americans for a Russian news report is stupid. Instead of admitting that you mistook a Russian news broadcast about Americans for an actual broadcast by Americans. When your error was pointed out to you, instead of saying "oooops", you double downed and blamed our poor sense of humor instead of your lack of reading comprehension.
Of course, that's why it's written in Cyrillic!

Or, it's produced in the US, and is about Russia as the link says.

ETA;some dippy intern grabbed the wrong map. It happens. It's not some huge deal to get defensive about, but why would a Russian map be in English?

Last edited by Filbert; 09-08-2019 at 05:36 AM.
  #19  
Old 09-08-2019, 05:39 AM
blue infinity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 542
RT America

Quote:
RT America broadcasts from its studios in Washington, DC.
Did you people even look at the article? Is this girl a Russian? Are the map labels in Cyrillic?
  #20  
Old 09-08-2019, 06:06 AM
Bear_Nenno's Avatar
Bear_Nenno is offline
Endowment Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bavaria
Posts: 9,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
Of course, that's why it's written in Cyrillic!

Or, it's produced in the US, and is about Russia as the link says.

ETA;some dippy intern grabbed the wrong map. It happens. It's not some huge deal to get defensive about, but why would a Russian map be in English?
It is not "about Russia". The link says, "about potential new missile bases in “Japan, South Korea and Australia”. Do you think Russia is planning on putting missile bases in those countries?? The news report is about America.

Quote:
Did you people even look at the article? Is this girl a Russian? Are the map labels in Cyrillic?
RT is intended for a wide audience. It is in English in order to give a Russian perspective to current events. Do you really think it is controlled by Americans because they hire US anchors?
  #21  
Old 09-08-2019, 06:14 AM
Bear_Nenno's Avatar
Bear_Nenno is offline
Endowment Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bavaria
Posts: 9,072
Though I admit that I was surprised to read that the anchor, "Ashlee Banks" is American. Sounds like a made up name ( it's Will Smith's cousin's name from the 90s sitcom). I expected her to be from somewhere else, but her background information on a few sites list her as African American or American. Her linked in page claims she speaks Arabic as well as English. So who knows what the whole truth is. I admit that there are probably more Americans working for RT than I'd expect. But it certainly can't be considered a "US" news agency.
  #22  
Old 09-08-2019, 06:20 AM
Bear_Nenno's Avatar
Bear_Nenno is offline
Endowment Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bavaria
Posts: 9,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue infinity View Post
RT America

Quote:
RT America broadcasts from its studios in Washington, DC.
Did you people even look at the article? Is this girl a Russian? Are the map labels in Cyrillic?
Al Jazeera used to have bureaus in 12 US cities. And they'd broadcast stories in English for a wide audience. That doesn't make them a US news agency. And I wouldn't attribute gaffes made by their US offices to American staffers. That's just odd.

I dunno. There may have been the potential for a joke in the OP. Maybe if he said something like, "The Russians over at RT have been in America so long, they're starting to forget geography" or something like that...
  #23  
Old 09-08-2019, 06:27 AM
blue infinity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 542
It's a Russian news agency, with a branch in Washington. Producing English language content aimed at American audiences.

And staffed mostly by locals, including some dumbass intern who doesn't know Japan from New Zealand.
  #24  
Old 09-08-2019, 06:27 AM
kambuckta is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Pilbara, Australia.
Posts: 10,129
I give up. The joke wasn't primarily on the US you humourless fucksticks. It was on the invisibility of New Zealand, as my link amply demonstrated.

That it was a US agency fucking up with their geography was just by the by. But the reactions in this thread reinforce the stupidity of Americans....and their lack of self-awareness to be able to laugh at gaffes.
  #25  
Old 09-08-2019, 06:32 AM
Bear_Nenno's Avatar
Bear_Nenno is offline
Endowment Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bavaria
Posts: 9,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
But the reactions in this thread reinforce the stupidity of Americans....and their lack of self-awareness to be able to laugh at gaffes.
Or possibly, you're just not funny. Sometimes the joke just doesn't land. But go ahead and call us all fucksticks (I guess that's allowed now?) and blame your lack of comedic delivery on the "stupidity" of Americans.
  #26  
Old 09-08-2019, 06:34 AM
Bear_Nenno's Avatar
Bear_Nenno is offline
Endowment Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bavaria
Posts: 9,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue infinity View Post
It's a Russian news agency, with a branch in Washington. Producing English language content aimed at American audiences.

And staffed mostly by locals, including some dumbass intern who doesn't know Japan from New Zealand.
I can mostly agree with this.
  #27  
Old 09-08-2019, 06:58 AM
kambuckta is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Pilbara, Australia.
Posts: 10,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
I can mostly agree with this.
So you're pedalling back from your earlier comments? Good to hear.

  #28  
Old 09-08-2019, 07:09 AM
Bear_Nenno's Avatar
Bear_Nenno is offline
Endowment Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bavaria
Posts: 9,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
So you're pedalling back from your earlier comments? Good to hear.

Why is it that every time a person on this board admits to an error, people call it "back pedalling"?? That's not the first time. It is at least the third time in the past month. The point of this board is to fight ignorance, yet any time a person admits to a partial error, they are attacked as "back pedalling". That's fucking stupid.

I admitted a few posts up that there are more locals working for RT than I had expected, and admitted that I was surprised to see "Ashlee Banks" is the real name of a real American who just happens to work for a Russian news agency.
Blue infinity refines and restates his position and I confirm that I am mostly in agreement. And you call that "back pedalling"?? What the hell is wrong with you?

Last edited by Bear_Nenno; 09-08-2019 at 07:11 AM.
  #29  
Old 09-08-2019, 07:20 AM
Bear_Nenno's Avatar
Bear_Nenno is offline
Endowment Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bavaria
Posts: 9,072
I guess admitting to one's errors is not a well respected concept in your opinion? That would explain why you continue to blame American stupidity for your lack of comedy, and why you roll your eyes at my "back pedalling"?
  #30  
Old 09-08-2019, 09:30 AM
carnivorousplant is offline
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Central Arkansas
Posts: 59,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
Why is it that every time a person on this board admits to an error, people call it "back pedalling"?? That's not the first time. It is at least the third time in the past month. The point of this board is to fight ignorance, yet any time a person admits to a partial error, they are attacked as "back pedalling". That's fucking stupid.
At times the 'Dope does seem to me to be a cut throat, take no prisoners, I'm smart you you're stupid kind of thing.
  #31  
Old 09-08-2019, 09:50 AM
Ludovic is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 30,474
New Zealand, isn't that where they filmed Lord of the Ring?
  #32  
Old 09-08-2019, 09:55 AM
cochrane is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 22,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue infinity View Post
It's a Russian news agency, with a branch in Washington. Producing English language content aimed at American audiences.

And staffed mostly by locals, including some dumbass intern who doesn't know Japan from New Zealand.
They even run programs hosted by such familiar American personalities as Larry King and Jesse Ventura.
  #33  
Old 09-08-2019, 10:18 AM
Jackmannii's Avatar
Jackmannii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 32,316
So RT Television hired an American correspondent as part of its effort to show that the U.S. is a seething caldron of racial hatred. OK, I'll acknowledge that RT has at least a token "local" presence, but that doesn't change what they are, which is a Russian propaganda operation.

"RT (formerly Russia Today) is a Russian international television network funded by the Russian government. It operates pay television channels directed to audiences outside of Russia, as well as providing Internet content in English, Spanish, French, German, Arabic and Russian...
RT is a brand of "TV-Novosti", an "autonomous non-profit organization", founded by the Russian news agency, RIA Novosti, on 6 April 2005. During the economic crisis in December 2008, the Russian government, headed by Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, included ANO "TV-Novosti" on its list of core organizations of strategic importance of Russia...
RT has been frequently described as a propaganda outlet for the Russian government and its foreign policy. RT has also been accused of spreading disinformation by news reporters, including some former RT reporters. The United Kingdom media regulator, Ofcom, has repeatedly found RT to have breached its rules on impartiality and on one occasion found it had broadcast "materially misleading" content. RT's editor-in-chief compared it with the Russian Army and Defence Ministry, and talked about it "waging the information war against the entire Western world." In September 2017, RT America was ordered to register as a "foreign agent" with the United States Department of Justice under the Foreign Agents Registration Act. Under the act, RT will be required to disclose financial information."


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT_(TV_network)

Assuming that when a U.S. division of a Russian propaganda outlet screws up, it's got to be an American foulup is not as bad a gaffe as misplacing major countries on a map, but it's embarrassing regardless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
I give up. The joke wasn't primarily on the US you humourless fucksticks...But the reactions in this thread reinforce the stupidity of Americans...
The OP's agenda strikes me as a bit more than lighthearted repartee.
  #34  
Old 09-08-2019, 10:46 AM
jz78817 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 12,466
yeah, it's not like RT would have a vested interest in making us look foolish or anything. Nope, no way. The truth must be that one person presenting an on-air gaffe is evidence that all 329 million of us are stupid.
  #35  
Old 09-08-2019, 11:46 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 22,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
yeah, it's not like RT would have a vested interest in making us look foolish or anything. Nope, no way. The truth must be that one person presenting an on-air gaffe is evidence that all 329 million of us are stupid.
While I'm grant that they have a vested interest along those lines, I'd say that it's more likely that you simply don't see the best sort of person going to work for RT.

See: Carter Page, Michael Flynn
  #36  
Old 09-08-2019, 12:57 PM
Corry El is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,910
Stupid media people. Also not seeing what's US specific about it. The buck surely stops with some Russian manager about what appears on RT even in English. But that might also be an ignorant media person, despite their ostensible job of 'teaching' the public. Which I think demonstrably runs across the various spins of media agencies (left/right in US terms, Putin apologist viewpoint in case of RT, etc).
  #37  
Old 09-09-2019, 04:52 PM
Hari Seldon is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Trantor
Posts: 13,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
In Soviet Russia, countries are where Soviet Russia says countries are.

Doesn't quite work as a Yakov Smirnoff joke but it's the best I could figure out.
No. First place there has been no Soviet Union for nigh on 30 years. Second, it's wherever Putin says it is.

How do you know it's not just Australia (accompanied by Tasmania) moving north?
  #38  
Old 09-09-2019, 05:01 PM
Velocity is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15,655
Plenty of people around the world are geographically illiterate (sometimes dubbed immappancy.) It doesn't have to have been an American thing.
  #39  
Old 09-09-2019, 09:18 PM
carnivorousplant is offline
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Central Arkansas
Posts: 59,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
No. First place there has been no Soviet Union for nigh on 30 years. Second, it's wherever Putin says it is.

How do you know it's not just Australia (accompanied by Tasmania) moving north?
Plate tectonics!
  #40  
Old 09-09-2019, 09:28 PM
MacSpon is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,064
NZer here...I was planning a trip to Japan this Christmas, so I guess this will save me a bunch on airfares. And accommodation, actually.
  #41  
Old 09-11-2019, 09:25 AM
saucywench is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The road to Shambala
Posts: 816
Hoist!
  #42  
Old 09-11-2019, 02:27 PM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 15,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
I give up. The joke wasn't primarily on the US you humourless fucksticks. It was on the invisibility of New Zealand, as my link amply demonstrated.

That it was a US agency fucking up with their geography was just by the by. But the reactions in this thread reinforce the stupidity of Americans....and their lack of self-awareness to be able to laugh at gaffes.
No, not Americans, just tight-assed internet quibblers.

For the record, I thought the story was funny and very FARKish.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017