Old 08-15-2018, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Let me ask a dumb question, do light planes have airbags? Is this feature practical for aircraft?
Old 08-15-2018, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

None that I have ever flown have had airbags. A couple have had parachutes, but no airbags.

There are airbags for aircraft - they're in the seatbelts and look like extra padding unless they deploy. But I've never seen one in small aircraft.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:39 PM

ive heard years ago that one reason that our national highway system is laid out the way it is I
s so that they can take off and land planes if we were invaded in the 50s/60s

any truth to that ?
Old 08-15-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
ive heard years ago that one reason that our national highway system is laid out the way it is I

any truth to that ?
No, it's a common myth. Some countries did that, but the USA didn't.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 08-15-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icerigger View Post
Let me ask a dumb question, do light planes have airbags? Is this feature practical for aircraft?
There is one company Amsafe that makes an airbag but I don't know how practical it is.

https://www.amsafe.com/seatbelt-airbag-system/

Many of the high stall speed aircraft are starting to come with full aircraft parachutes but on a slow stall aircraft it would probably be heavy and of less value unless you had a structural failure and it would restrict your ability to try and land in a safe place like in the OP.

Really practicing emergency landings more is what would improve safety the most for the typical pilot.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Anything that won't kill you or anybody else is optimal. Don't worry about limiting damage to the plane, just worry about yourself. I was taught "If you decide you have to land your airplane off-airport, just tell yourself that the insurance company owns it now, not you".
yes that's true but you don't want to flip a plane. Especially a low wing. Best to open the door(s) before impact so they don't jam shut. There's no way to break through the windshield in a timely manner as it's plastic that's screwed in.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
I do have friends who landed in treetops and were uninjured.

There are times an orchard is the lesser evil - ElvisL1ves covered some of that. You can spend endless hours discussing emergency landings and increasingly hair-raising scenarios.
In a previous lifetime a flight instructor told me that the biggest risk when landing in (on?) dense treetops was getting out of the plane without falling to the ground. No clue as to the veracity of his claim though.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:04 AM
Charter Member

Everyone I've know who landed in a treetop successfully said they stayed in the cockpit and waited for the local rescue guys to get them out - it can be a long way down. People have been hurt or killed trying to get themselves down. Even if the plane isn't stable, your chances are still better riding the wreck down to the ground, with cockpit structures around you to take some of the impact, than plopping to the ground bare.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Everyone I've know who landed in a treetop successfully said they stayed in the cockpit and waited for the local rescue guys to get them out - it can be a long way down. People have been hurt or killed trying to get themselves down. Even if the plane isn't stable, your chances are still better riding the wreck down to the ground, with cockpit structures around you to take some of the impact, than plopping to the ground bare.
I was in CAP for a few years. My brother was in for about 10-15. That's good advice I suppose if you are found and your ELT is working.

When looking for a plane and some newbe asked what color the plane is/was, the answer was green with snowflakes painted on it.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
I was in CAP for a few years. My brother was in for about 10-15. That's good advice I suppose if you are found and your ELT is working.
Or your cellphone.

Of course, each situation is different. If you're in a treetop and there's no other human around for 500 miles then yes, you might need to get yourself down. Even then, thoughtful planning is probably going to be better than a half-panicked dash out of the cockpit.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Or your cellphone...
Good point. Cell phone coverage is still spotty in the Colorado mountains. Especially if you get away from major roads.

Heck, until about a year ago, it was unreliable at my house. I still lose coverage when driving to work.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordPrefect View Post
... a flight instructor told me that the biggest risk when landing in (on?) dense treetops was getting out of the plane without falling to the ground.
I've participated in 5 rescues of pilots that landed in trees - fairly dense ones. In no case did the plane stay in the treetops - all ended up at the ground.

In three of the five cases, the treetops dissipated enough energy that the pilot was un- or lightly injured. In one, the injuries were serious; the fifth was a fatality.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post

any truth to that ?
I can remember driving down a highway with runway or taxi markings, alongside an airbase in Arizona. My dad, who was a defense contractor, told me that it was so the air force had an extra runway if they needed it. I imagine that the main value of the markings was to indicate that the road was NOT a primary runway.

That's not to say that the system, or even that stretch of highway, was laid out for that purpose. It might have just been there.