Old 12-07-2019, 05:23 PM

Off to go watch 'em burn the bird (bonfire), but not before starting a new page!
Old 12-07-2019, 05:41 PM

Oh, wow, that sounds good! I'm going to have to get the ingredients and make this soon. Thank you!
Old 12-07-2019, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
Oh, wow, that sounds good! I'm going to have to get the ingredients and make this soon.
We like it!

I used cod the first time. Not a fan of cod, except for fish'n'chips. (And then I prefer haddock.) I used tilapia last night, and we liked it better. Next time I think I'll try halibut.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:37 PM

Happy Saturday!

The board doesn't like my posts today.

It's been cold, and I've been chilled all day.
Been using my desk top space heater.
Times like this I wish I had a hot tub.

Been lazy all done, haven't done anything but irk and nap, and letting the dogs drive me crazy.
I think they need to go to the park twice a day now, too much energy.

Last edited by Sahirrnee; 12-07-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Howdy Y'all! I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! I read all but have retained not a lot, so yays, boos, hugs, trouts, chitlins, wedgies, and how you doin's all around as needed. Had a good time even if I did sit in class most of the time. I like bein' around the people and sharin'/exchangin' ideas and information. We did an update on our project which is comin' right along. Right now, I's tahrd and veggin' with some Netflix sounds like a good idea.

Spidey 'tis 60 Amurrkin out and cloudy with a predicted low of 48 with clear skies later tonight. Hope that helps.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:11 PM

Leaving soon for DH's company Christmas party. He plans to walk in there, possibly making use of his cane as the evening goes on, but the wheelchair will be in the car just in case he needs it. I do wish he was driving, but with the wheelchair in the car, he can't get the driver's seat pushed back far enough to accommodate him. I'm still feeling rather unwell (just how much glop can the human sinuses HOLD, anyway?). Tomorrow will definitely be zombie day.

Intermittent rain tonight, which will make driving SO much fun. The drivers here lose what little mind they ever had in rain. There's an apparently allergy to use of lights, never mind turn signals, and for some reason they think rain means "speed up".
Old 12-07-2019, 07:19 PM

Got a lot done today, then took Nelson to the dog park.

There was a couple there with two poms that reminded me why I've never cottoned to that breed. Nasty tempered little bastiges and the weirdo husband was down on his hands and knees trying to play with everyone else's dogs but his. Oy vay!
Old 12-07-2019, 07:46 PM

Howdy all. Started with indoor soccer about 8:15am and got home about 5:15pm. To be truthful, I had about and hour off around 11am and came home to lunch. Kids were pretty well-behaved (for kids) and had a lot of fun working with them.

Nothing on tomorrow so that'll be a day of rest. Hit 61F today, could have played the soccer outside.

Nettie, hope you feel better and DH can handle the party ok.

Welcome back, swampy

FCM, you're spoiling that kid, y'know...

Becks, a happy birthday to Mr. Wrecker.

ruble, I await news to see if Pittsburgh survived this time...

All y'all have a good night.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Greek food for dinner tonight. I had the World's Smallest Lamb Chop (but thick), 3 prawns on a skewer, and some Greek-seasoned pork ribs. Plus a Greek salad, some calamari, a couple Santorini Sunsets (like a tequila sunrise, only with ouzo instead of tequila), and a glass of white wine. Mrs. L.A had the prime rib and a dinner salad (not Greek at all), some calamari, and some sweet Greek wine.

We got a 'mystery envelope'. If we go back in January to dine, we find out what we won. Top prize is a 32" TV. I'm betting we win a free appetiser.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:03 PM

Nettie I hope you feel better and the party takes it easy on you.

Red all Poms except mine, you mean. We rescued her from the worst life, and she's always so happy and sweet. She was born blind, and her owners left her outside all the time. She was eventually turned into the pound because they were going on vacation and didn't want to make arrangements for her care. Some people shouldn't have pets.

It turned out that my sister and kids did not make it over. Oh well. We went to a movie to celebrate 'Beamette's birthday. I got a few things done on the house too. Not a bad day, overall.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:21 AM

Well, the party was fun, except for my sinuses. Other drivers, to my surprise, were not more stupid than baseline for this area (for a Saturday night this time of year, in this weather, that's a pleasant surprise). DH says he's feeling OK now, but will probably be a bit sore tomorrow from all the walking around socializing and taking pictures. He did consider it important to be seen by higher-ups to be making good progress toward being able to come back to work, and did talk to two of the top bosses while there.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:30 AM

Madonn'! I just finished my application for different insurance during the open enrollment for Medicare Advantage (which I'm on due to my vision disability). 35 minutes to spare! It wasn't that I waited until the last minute. It just took a long time over many days to wade through plans, find out which ones have my docs (except rheumatologist--need a new one), etc. I'll be paying $60 a month instead of $0, but I think it'll be worth it, as my old plan had some serious shortcomings.

Who knows, though? Parts of this are always a crapshoot, it seems to me. I hope I made the right choice. I have a headache and upset stomach now. Maybe I'll have a soothing cup of tea.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:55 AM

thank god the medicare thing is over ..... im on the state of ca's and the fed governments combined plan so I can't change anything unless they do and my aunt has a union plan...

No more calls from 6 am to 8 pm ........ you'd think since I'm' in ca even tho its 9 am there .......

Otherwise im in the middle of Xmas hell hopefully the decorating will be done by Tuesday but im realizing why you dont do every little thing for your kids because my relatives are some self entitled assholes .....
Old 12-08-2019, 05:32 AM
Charter Member

Good Mornin' Y'all! Up and caffeinatin'. *YAWN* 'Tis 54 and cloudy out (well, dark, so it could be cloudy) with a predicted high of 68 and partly N.O.S. this afternoon. Went beddy bye at eight-thirty last night and pulled an all nighter. Didn't wake cause I had to go pee. Didn't pee in my sleep either. All around a win-win! The big item on today's agenda is deheathenization. I have Chalice duty this mornin'. We shall return to da cave afterward and have sammiches for N.O.L. Later this afternoon we shall grill burgers as burgers 'n fries shall be sup. Chillage to ensue as well.

Nettie glad the party went well and that DH, and I presume you, had a good time. I'm sure it felt good to him to get out and be amongst folks.

Now I need more caffeine and rumbly tummy wants to be fed. Then, purtification for deheathenization must commence.

Happy Sunday Y'all!
Old 12-08-2019, 06:35 AM

It's 16 freakin' degrees & I'm going flying...in an open cockpit!
Old 12-08-2019, 06:39 AM

spidey are ya sure you and doggio haven't been sharing a bottle? that's nuts .....
Old 12-08-2019, 06:56 AM

Happy Sunday!

It's a freakin 21 degrees outside and Ripple is bugging me to go. Echo found something to chew on, so she's out of my face for the moment. No worries though, the second she senses that I am getting up to do something she will be bouncing around my feet. Explaining to her that making me trip and fall is only going to slow me down has no effect whatsoever.
At least she didn't pull a Lily on me yesterday.
Lily is a dog at the park who never wants to leave.

Didn't do much yesterday but sit in front of the heater. I have to do laundry today, I am out of clean everything except for one pair of pants, and one sparkley shirt.

Have fun Spidey, I hope nothing vital freezes off.

Glad you had a good time Nettie.

I need to brush my teeth, and get my socks and boots on.

My dogs are so spoiled.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:50 AM

Spidey, have fun freezing.

shady, nellie, I didn't have quite as much trouble, being a retired government worker I kept my Blue Cross (Basic) plan to back up Medicare. It's not all that more expensive than any of the Advantage plans out there, and if I drop it I can't go back and get it later. But like you, I'm happy not to get any more mailers or phone calls about it.

Nettie, glad the party went well for DH and you; both of you take a day off (as much as parents can....)

Sunny, adopting a blind (and abused it appears) dog--you are truly good people (which makes me wonder why you associate with us reprobates...)

Sari, 52F here...just sayin'...

Nothing much on the schedule today, which is good since I got up at about 6:15am and nappage is likely this afternoon. Everybody enjoy the say now, y'hear?
Old 12-08-2019, 08:47 AM

sunny, my biggest issues with poms tend to be their idiot owners (my late great aunt and uncle come to mind. They had six of the nasty critters and I was bitten by one for merely getting out of the car as a child). Chances are, your pom would be one I would get along with.

Breakfasting and getting ready to prep the potluck dish before going to heathenate.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:15 AM

Home early, everything was fine except for my toes.
I need some of those toe warmer thingies.

52 degrees in December sounds tempting MetalMouse I saw some houses in my price range down your way. It's very tempting.

I saw flashing lights outside before I left this morning. I was hoping they police were at the house of the BigMouthBuffoon and ScreechingBanshee, but they were two doors down from them. Too bad.

My mother's neighbor had two poms, one was pretty nice. The other one, a mini I think, sounded exactly like a squeaky toy. When a hawk moved into the neighborhood I told them they shouldn't let the poms out unsupervised.

Last edited by Sahirrnee; 12-08-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:43 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahirrnee View Post
I need some of those toe warmer thingies.
I believe they're called socks...

Sorry, had to do it.

It was crowded and cold at Flat Iron Farm, but Roxy seemed to enjoy it once she relaxed a bit. She liked the trains and the goats and the duck. In the courtyard area, they'd set up a light that projected red and green spots on the ground, and she spent some time trying to pick them up. As we were leaving, the line to get in was crazy long! I feel so sorry for anyone who lives down the road from them - it's a single lane in each direction and no shoulders, so once you were in line, you were stuck. I'm guessing the folks we saw at the end of the line had at least 20 minutes to go until they were able to park.

I just ordered a bunch of yarn with a 25% off coupon. Last night, I saw the office for the Mid Shore Council on Family Violence and I'm going to contact them and see if they could use afghans. Otherwise, there's a Vet's home in Charlotte Hall, and I'm sure they'd take some. Apparently I overloaded the AARP group. So I'll direct my efforts locally.

Apart from picking up the yarn, my plans for today include running the vacuum cleaner, clearing leaves, and making a real supper for us.

Happy Sunday!!
Old 12-08-2019, 11:36 AM

I ordered some toe warmers, and a pair of battery warmed socks. Only one pair, as they are over $40/pair, and have to be hand washed. If I like them, I'll get some more.

I ordered my son some shirts for Christmas. I know he's not going to be thrilled with them, but too bad. He's going to need some warm clothes for school, and he needs some variety. He has multiple pairs of pants that are exactly the same, and multiple shirts that are exactly the same. However, he still wears his old shirts that are too big, and are falling apart.

Shar pei are supposed to hate the cold, but Echo missed that memo, along with all the others she missed. She sure likes being outside in this weather, and wants me to come outside with her. I've asked the breeder several times, are you sure she is a shar pei?
Old 12-08-2019, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Up, caffeinated, and sheveled. It was 30 degrees when I took Gordie out this morning. It was 37 degrees in Green Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Beck one of my little cats has started limping off and on. I'll catch her and check her paw and joints, and nothing. Other than irritated cat. She doesn't seem to be in pain, she just limps.
Alex Catt has a bad shoulder, but it doesn't bother her. Unless she wants something from me, then she limps over like a feline Tiny Tim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Fish Florentine recipe
INGREDIENTS
4 five-ounce thick pieces of skinless white firm fish fillet (such as grouper, bass or halibut)
1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon salted butter
1 cup red bell pepper chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
9 ounces fresh baby spinach, from two bags
2 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese, I like Philadelphia
cup half & half cream
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
kosher salt
fresh black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS
In a large skillet over medium heat add 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and 1/2 tablespoon of butter, red bell pepper and garlic and cook for about 4 minutes.

Add spinach season with a pinch of salt and pepper mix until the spinach wilts down.

Add cream cheese, half & half and parmesan cheese mix well until cream cheese is melted and resembles creamed spinach.

Heat a separate skillet on medium high heat, add remaining oil and butter.

Season fish on both sides with salt and pepper and place on the hot pan.

Cook 6 minutes on first side and flip fish over and cook other side an additional 5 minutes, until cooked through and browned.

Divide the spinach mixture on the bottom of each plate and top with piece of fish.
I put some of the spinach mixture on top of the fish too.
: drools :

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbear View Post
Howdy Y'all! I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! I read all but have retained not a lot, so yays, boos, hugs, trouts, chitlins, wedgies, and how you doin's all around as needed. Had a good time even if I did sit in class most of the time. I like bein' around the people and sharin'/exchangin' ideas and information. We did an update on our project which is comin' right along. Right now, I's tahrd and veggin' with some Netflix sounds like a good idea.

Spidey 'tis 60 Amurrkin out and cloudy with a predicted low of 48 with clear skies later tonight. Hope that helps.
Welcome Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
spidey are ya sure you and doggio haven't been sharing a bottle? that's nuts .....
Share?
Old 12-08-2019, 12:32 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Pugs are weather wusses. They do not like being cold. Or wet. Or too hot. And generally they don't like being alone, either. Sometimes, I'll toss them both outside and they'll entertain each other for a while, but mostly they want to hang with people.

I've vacuumed and spot-cleaned the carpet, since Taz was so kind as to hork up on the non-tiled floor. There were maybe half a dozen icky spots. We'll see how long it looks clean.

Still waiting for Michael's to notify mt that my yarn is ready for pickup. Meanwhile, I need to find a gutter cleaner. Such a glamorous life I lead!
Old 12-08-2019, 12:40 PM

Howdy. Finally finished the Christmas tree and put out the Christmas dishes and table cloth. We are all festive. There is not a single gift under the tree and may not be as I don’t need anything and hubby is hard to buy for. I did order him a briefcase of sorts. More like a messenger bag and a new mouse pad with a Kingfisher bird on it. He once found an injured Kingfisher and took it to a wild bird rescue.

I need to think about packing some clothes for our Jawja trip I am seriously thinking of not going. I just don’t want to go. Probably will. Our temp here is a warm 79F.

Have a great Sunday All !
Old 12-08-2019, 02:07 PM
born to be shunned

I survived!!!!!! And so did most of the city of Pittsburgh. Participation (official) was down (under 100) but this one was really spread over God's little acre. At least two groups of semi-regulars decided to screw the actual schedule and freelance their own ideas; we know because we crossed paths at a couple points towards the end of the evening. I may email Spidey a pic he can share next week when the new MMP starts. I did good and paced until this one place --- they had a camera set up near the door taking pictures of people with hold-up beards and the like. When I got there the dude operating wanted me to pose and then a bunch of patrons wanted to pose with me. Some thought I was with the "house" but some realized I was a patron myself ---- and bought me shots. And being the polite person I am I HAD to consume them. So from that point on I was quite quiet and switched to sodas for a couple stops.

Yet another year goes by.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:12 PM

Shady, MetalMouse, I'm kind of screwed on the Medicare thing. Since I had to go on SSDI, I was automatically eligible for Medicare, even though I'm not 65, BUT it has to be Medicare Advantage. I cannot get regular Medicare plus supplemental insurance, which would be the better deal. Of course, I'm grateful I'm covered at all.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:33 PM

I found battery-warmed socks to be near useless. They take "D" cells, so you've got the bulky bulge a little above your ankles. What really works? Little, one-time use packets of "foot warmers." My toes had smiles when I used those!

If you are just going to be sitting around, watching TV or posting on the Dope, look for microwave slippers!

~VOW
Old 12-08-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
Shady, MetalMouse, I'm kind of screwed on the Medicare thing. Since I had to go on SSDI, I was automatically eligible for Medicare, even though I'm not 65, BUT it has to be Medicare Advantage. I cannot get regular Medicare plus supplemental insurance, which would be the better deal. Of course, I'm grateful I'm covered at all.

Why can't you get supplemental insurance with your SSDI Medicare? I have had Medicare since age 57 because of disability, and I've always have had supplemental insurance!

If enrollment is closed now, you're kind of stuck for a year, but come time for next Open Enrollment, find a supplemental!

The magic word is "Medicare." If you get the Medicare card, supplemental insurance doesn't give a fig how old you are.

~VOW
Old 12-08-2019, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Howdy Y'all! We deheathenated, came back to da cave, slouched around a while and then et a late N.O.L./early sup of burgers 'n fixin's and fries. I have hauled the biiiiiiiiiig trash can all the way down to the road for pickup tomorrow. All is well.

Ruble glad you, and Pittsburgh survived.

Now to continue slouchin'.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:57 PM

the funny thing about my medicare is I had it since 1993 but never needed to use it until 2003 or 4 and the only reason I found out about it is that the state of ca got really crappy about Medi-Cal for a while and quit covering a bunch of stuff so the places started billing medicare.. the pharmacy lady told me I had it when I went to get a prescription that she had to call and get permission to fill it

And united health care sent me a 500 dollar plus bill since no one had paid for it for about 5 years .... (its taken out of your SSI/SSA check if the state doesn't cover it or you dont pay for it its self )

They took some of it off and still tried to get me for the rest....I told ssa i didn't want a plan and UHC can talk to my answering machine until the Obamacare thing happened..... that reminds me i have to call tomorrow and see if i can see an eye doc without needing id.....my last one went out of biz.....
Old 12-08-2019, 05:05 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I picked up my dozen big skeins of yarn - they should make for a few afghans. If the Family Violence center will take them, I can make some kid-sized.

Meanwhile, I'm done for the day. I didn't de-leaf because, well, I didn't. Maybe next weekend...
Old 12-08-2019, 05:38 PM

you know I've read there's a psychological reason on why cats go out of their way to barf on a carpet and rug but be darned if I can remember where i read it but it's got something to do with the whole feline reasoning on why they like catboxes

Today's monsoon is taking a break after 6-8 hours of nonstop pouring the desert is gonna look pretty from apr til June then we'll have to worry about it burning down cause it will get so dry ........
Old 12-08-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missred View Post
sunny, my biggest issues with poms tend to be their idiot owners (my late great aunt and uncle come to mind. They had six of the nasty critters and I was bitten by one for merely getting out of the car as a child). Chances are, your pom would be one I would get along with.

It's true that many people (no one here!) don't socialize and train their little dogs. As a result, many are snappy, spoiled little tyrants.

Worst headache in the world today.

Happy Sunday everyone!
Old 12-08-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
It's true that many people (no one here!) don't socialize and train their little dogs. As a result, many are snappy, spoiled little tyrants.

Worst headache in the world today.

Happy Sunday everyone!
I was determined when I got Nelson that he wouldn't be THAT little asshole dog. I think everybody knows one of those.

Heathenized, potlucked, shopped on the way home and fixed Bibimbap and dry fried green beans for supper. Once KP is done, It's chill time.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahirrnee View Post
Have fun Spidey, I hope nothing vital freezes off.
Nothing froze off, vital or otherwise. This ain't my first rodeo cold weather flight. I have lotsa cold weather gear, in fact I was only wearing the glove liners for most of the flight & not the leather gloves that go over top of them. Also, there's no wind up there. Now everyone wants my pics but I haven't downloaded/looked at them yet to even figger out which ones to upload & share.
Prolly saw 50 white tails this morning; they get skeered of the burner noise & run off. Yanno, it is deer season...

I may have said this before, but in TX it is legal to hunt wild boar from a helochopper; however, the noise scares them into running away. Some yahoo state ledge-is-later got the "brilliant" i-dee-er that balloons are quiet; therefore, a law was proposed, & passed that it is legal to hunt them from a hot air balloon. Balloons are mostly quiet...except for that every-so-often when we need to hit the burners to make more hot air so that we can remain in the sky. That noise skeers aminals. Given the piggies can run any direction but we can only fly downwind; once we hit the burners on approach there's a high likelihood that they will take off in a direction that is not downwind & that we cannot chase them, unlike in a helochopper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbutler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
Share?
Sure, I'd share; you can have the bottle & I'll take the contents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
I found battery-warmed socks to be near useless. They take "D" cells, so you've got the bulky bulge a little above your ankles.
Look at these socks; either AA's or rechargeable battery pack so they should be thinner.

Had steak for dinner tonight since it didn't go so well with the one that never made the fridge last week.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

You want to know what kind of bird I saw today, in the wild. Sure you do!

I was just driving away from my house, going north in the alley that borders the east side. I'm approaching a number of sparrows gathered around a dip in the bricks, it's either a little water or something edible. They fly up to the left into some brush, and along with the brown birds I see a bright flash of yellow. It's a little bigger than the sparrows, and as I pass I'm surprised to recognize a parakeet. In Kansas, in December.

Now, I'm surprised, but not overly so. Three or four months back my mom had a parakeet, bright yellow BTW, at her feeders. My sister even got pictures and put them on Facebook. Perhaps this is the same bird, I am about a mile and a half south of my mom.

It's probably an escaped pet. Hope it makes it through the winter.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
Why can't you get supplemental insurance with your SSDI Medicare? I have had Medicare since age 57 because of disability, and I've always have had supplemental insurance!

If enrollment is closed now, you're kind of stuck for a year, but come time for next Open Enrollment, find a supplemental!

The magic word is "Medicare." If you get the Medicare card, supplemental insurance doesn't give a fig how old you are.

~VOW
VOW, it depends on what state you live in. In Washington state (and some others), supplemental insurance companies are not required to cover those on Medicare due to disabilities, so they don't. People assume the rules for Medicare are identical from state to state, but they're not.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:32 PM

Sunny, hope your headache disappears faster than a campaign promise.

Went for a long walk today. Bought some small Christmas gifts at local businesses. Would've done more, but my back was killing me for some reason, so I came home. Still, a good day! Got to talk with both my chilluns and my brother.

About to soak in a hot bath for awhile. Good for what ails you!
Old 12-08-2019, 09:31 PM

Evening all. Dinner was at Golden Corral, Pot Roast -n- Noodles w/gravy, chicken noodle soup, salad and a brownie for dessert. Needless to say, I didn't feel much like eating the rest of the day, just had a Big Bowl o'Sallit for dinner. Tried to achieve nappage, but really couldn't get comfortable enough to drop off for any appreciable amount of time. Watched tackleball but couldn't get into any of the games. So so much doing.

Cupcakes, I concur, probably an escaped pet (or one set lose). Given Kansas winters, I'd say seeing it next spring is a long shot.

spidey, my only balloon ride was above the Masai Maru in East Africa (To all: if the chance ever comes to you to do that, do it, it was and is one of the most magical moments of my life). Glad all went well. And I agree, balloons are not quiet, and in sunny weather even the shadow will spook animals.

ruble, glad you survived; Pittsburgh surviving, well, OK.

FCM, happy you and Roxy enjoyed the farm and missed the mad rush.

Everyone else, take care and I'll catch you on the next MMP.