Old 01-22-2020, 01:57 PM
SDSAB

So glad Cadet Bonespurs is sharing his considered medical opinions with the world. Sorry, Doctor Cadet Bonespurs.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:31 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

He likes troops that aren't injured.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:13 PM

Much more fungible that way.

-THX, Rumsfeld.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:59 PM
SDSAB

Turns out Trump lied about both the number and the extent of the U.S. troops' injuries. Whodathunkit?: https://www.npr.org/2020/01/24/79934...missile-strike
Old 01-24-2020, 11:19 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Turns out Trump lied about both the number and the extent of the U.S. troops' injuries. Whodathunkit?: https://www.npr.org/2020/01/24/79934...missile-strike
“Headaches. No big deal. Not like what I’ve seen, when I was a big hero in Nam.”
Old 01-25-2020, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
“Headaches. No big deal. Not like what I’ve seen, when I was a big hero in Nam.”
Yeah, well, this is the guy who believes that concussion-producing hits in the NFL are a small price to pay for his entertainment.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:15 PM

Taxpayers Get $3.4 Million Tab So Trump Can Host Super Bowl Party For His Club Members
The president’s latest trip to his Palm Beach resort and nearby golf course brings the taxpayer-funded total for his golfing hobby to $130.4 million.
Quote:
Taxpayers shelled out another $3.4 million to send President Donald Trump to Florida this weekend so he could host a Super Bowl party for paying guests at his for-profit golf course.

The president’s official schedule shows him spending two and a half hours Sunday evening at a “Super Bowl LIV watch party” at Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach. Tickets sold for $75 each, but were only available to members of the club — the initiation fee for which reportedly runs about $450,000, with annual dues costing several thousands of dollars more.
Gee, $75 a head and that wasn't enough for the nachos and beer?
Quote:
...In response to a query, White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham defended Trump’s trip and attacked HuffPost: “The premise of your story is ridiculous and false, and just more left-wing media bias on display. The president never stops working, and that includes when he is at the Winter White House.”

Her phrase “Winter White House” refers to Mar-a-Lago, the for-profit resort in Palm Beach that is several miles east of the golf course and that doubled its initiation fee from $100,000 to $200,000 after Trump was elected in 2016. Trump frequently mingles with guests at social events there.

On Saturday, for example, Trump appeared at a dinner at Mar-a-Lago arranged by the “Trumpettes,” a group his female supporters. The dinner did not appear on the president’s publicly released schedule, and in any case was a campaign event, not an “official” one. ....
How does Steph say that stuff with a straight face?

And (S)Trumpettes?? You can't make this shit up.

Anyhoo, this is a much better use for taxpayer's money than, say, food stamps for able-bodied people who are faking their disabilities or flu shots for the kids STILL held in custody in immigration detention centers.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
How does Steph say that stuff with a straight face? ...
Heavy drinking makes many things easier:

Quote:
...Much of Grisham’s professional career was spent in Arizona in a succession of public-relations roles, including briefly owning her own firm. Not all of it appears to have gone smoothly: The New York Times reported last week that she left two employers amid questions about her expense accounts and an allegation of plagiarism (she called the article “not honest” and “hateful” but declined to address it further). She also had two DUI convictions, which she disclosed before she began working at the White House.

In light of that, it’s a bit jarring to see an array of liquor bottles on a prominent shelf in her White House office.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...7ce_story.html

In fairness, the article goes on to claim that the bottles collection was begun by Sarah Sanders, and Grisham keeps them "as an homage to her predecessor."

She's quite the piece of work, with a long trail of issues in her C.V. Another example of Trump's "best people."
Old 02-04-2020, 09:24 AM

And apparently, at this Super Bowl party, Cheato couldn’t NOT try to be the center of attention - even during the singing of the national anthem. So disrespectful.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/pol...239913588.html

ETA- Why is he still letting his guests bring their phones into the events - hasn’t he learned his lesson?

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 02-04-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
ETA- Why is he still letting his guests bring their phones into the events - hasn’t he learned his lesson?
My bold. I think I may have spotted your problem

As I think I commented elsewhere on the SDMB, I want to hear from every motherfucker who bitches that NFL players kneeling during the anthem is disrespectful. Every. One.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:45 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

They’re all too busy complaining about Beyonce and Mr. Beyonce not standing up for the anthem. I hear they’re colored folks...
Old 02-04-2020, 10:49 AM

Yeah, I'm just dying to find out how conservatives/Republicans/Trumpies spin that. It's always great to be held to a standard that the person in a position of authority doesn't hold him- or herself to.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
Yeah, I'm just dying to find out how conservatives/Republicans/Trumpies spin that. It's always great to be held to a standard that the person in a position of authority doesn't hold him- or herself to.
When are you people going to learn: IOWRDI

Old 02-04-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
And apparently, at this Super Bowl party, Cheato couldn’t NOT try to be the center of attention - even during the singing of the national anthem. So disrespectful.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/pol...239913588.html

My uncle did something similar one year during the Thanksgiving prayer.

We had him committed by New Year's Eve.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't mind me View Post
My uncle did something similar one year during the Thanksgiving prayer.

We had him committed by New Year's Eve.
Hmmm... do you still have the name of the doctor?

Did your uncle wear his underpants on his head?
Old 02-04-2020, 11:25 PM

How very odd. I used Google and I also searched directly in the Fox News web site, and you know what? Fox doesn't seem to be reporting on this. How strange.*

In case you can't tell, I'm being sarcastic.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Hmmm... do you still have the name of the doctor?

Did your uncle wear his underpants on his head?
That's a big improvement. Well, not big....
Old 02-05-2020, 11:24 PM
SDSAB

His and his staff's victory lap after his Senate acquittal is really pissing me off.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:31 PM

Individual 1 has pinned a picture to the top of his Twitter home page showing campaign signs for him for 2024, 2028, 2032, 2036, 2040, 2044 ...
He really is laying the ground for a coup.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:15 AM

He was joking about this shit during his campaign, but some people just wouldn't listen.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen
Individual 1 has pinned a picture to the top of his Twitter home page showing campaign signs for him for 2024, 2028, 2032, 2036, 2040, 2044 ...
He really is laying the ground for a coup.
The two-term limit was nothing but a tradition -- started by Washington, no less -- until broken by FDR. When the Republican party took control of both the House and Senate in the midterm elections of 1946, members quickly proposed the 22nd Amendment, sending it out for ratification in March, 1947. It took nearly four years to to ratify with only Oklahoma rejecting it and four other states taking no action at all.

Therefore, if the Republicans have trouble extending Dear Leader's terms beyond two, they have only themselves to blame.

[Nelson]Ha, ha.[/N]
Old 02-06-2020, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Every time the Right tries to paint the Left as racists based on the Democratic Party of the past, the Southern Strategy and the shift following the passage of the Civil Rights Act (CRA) is correctly referenced. While it is not as stark as the racists flooding to the Republican Party following the CRA, there has been a significant realignment of party ideals over the last 60 years. Pointing out what Republicans did 60 years ago and laughing is just as bad as pointing out how racist the Democratic Party was 60 years ago. And nearly as wrong as Republicans calling themselves "the party of Lincoln", which hurts me to even type in derision. Were I a descendant of Lincoln, I'd sue for defamation.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:39 PM

"Most people don't even know Lincoln was a Republican. Right? Does anyone know? A lot of people don't know that."
Old 02-06-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borborygmi View Post
"Most people don't even know Lincoln was a Republican. Right? Does anyone know? A lot of people don't know that."
But, according to Trump, Lincoln didn't accomplish as much or wasn't treated more unfairly than Trump.

But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Last edited by dasmoocher; 02-06-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
The two-term limit was nothing but a tradition -- started by Washington, no less -- until broken by FDR. When the Republican party took control of both the House and Senate in the midterm elections of 1946, members quickly proposed the 22nd Amendment, sending it out for ratification in March, 1947. It took nearly four years to to ratify with only Oklahoma rejecting it and four other states taking no action at all.

Therefore, if the Republicans have trouble extending Dear Leader's terms beyond two, they have only themselves to blame.
If the Dear Leader is still in the White House after January 2021, then the laws---for term limits or anything else---won't matter in the least. It's in the Constitution? Who needs a Constitution?

If he doesn't move out on 20 January 2021, then he won't be moving out at all.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:36 PM

It's payback time!
Quote:
In his combative State of the Union address Tuesday, Mr. Trump launched a broadside against one of his favorite targets: “sanctuary cities,” those jurisdictions that limit cooperation between local law enforcement and federal immigration officials.

“In sanctuary cities, local officials order police to release dangerous criminal aliens to prey upon the public instead of handing them over to ICE to be safely removed,” Mr. Trump claimed, falsely, speaking of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency.

For those familiar with the president’s anti-immigrant musings, it was a familiar refrain. But this time, he was not content merely to engage in fearmongering. Mr. Trump was in the mood to punish those who would defy him.

On Wednesday, the administration announced that, for the time being, it would no longer allow residents of New York State to enroll (or re-enroll) in various Trusted Traveler Programs overseen by Customs and Border Protection, which allow preapproved individuals expedited passage through airport security and immigration
Source
My bold.

"For the time being"? R-i-i-i-ght.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
If the Dear Leader is still in the White House after January 2021, then the laws---for term limits or anything else---won't matter in the least. It's in the Constitution? Who needs a Constitution?

If he doesn't move out on 20 January 2021, then he won't be moving out at all.
[Trump]The results have come in, and people, many people, say that there were voting irregularities. I'm putting together a taskforce to go to every voting district in the country to figure out what is going on. This could take months, or even years. Until they report back with the results I will stay President, since my opponent's so called "lead" in the Electoral College is most likely the result of illegal aliens voting.[/Trump]

Last edited by Nobody; 02-06-2020 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
[Trump]The results have come in, and people, many people, say that there were voting irregularities. I'm putting together a taskforce to go to every voting district in the country to figure out what is going on. This could take months, or even years. Until they report back with the results I will stay President, since my opponent's so called "lead" in the Electoral College is most likely the result of illegal aliens voting.[/Trump]
Gee, IF ONLY somebody had predicted this.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:05 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:

[Nelson]Ha, ha.[/N]
I well remember one time in West Texas in the mid-1980s, this godawful right-wing local loudly bemoaning the "fact" that the dastardly Democrats were responsible for the law preventing his beloved Reagan from running for a third term. Suggestions as to who really was responsible garnered accusations of being a fucking Commie.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I well remember one time in West Texas in the mid-1980s, this godawful right-wing local loudly bemoaning the "fact" that the dastardly Democrats were responsible for the law preventing his beloved Reagan from running for a third term. Suggestions as to who really was responsible garnered accusations of being a fucking Commie.
The social media sphere right wingers are trying to push the theory that because he was impeached but acquitted, he gets a do over and can run for two more terms.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:46 PM

He's blowing up a National Monument that's sacred to Native Americans to plow his wall through it.
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/org...all-2020-02-07
Old 02-08-2020, 02:35 PM

This is amusing rather than infuriating, but I didn't feel like starting a thread called "How has Trump looked sadly ridiculous today."

Anyway, not only does Trump not know how to tie a tie or get suits that fit, he doesn't know how to apply makeup. Evidence: https://twitter.com/thor_benson/stat...228934657?s=19

I'm sure 90% of Republicans are now convinced this is the height of style.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

My email to one of my senators, Martha McSally (R) I just now sent.
Quote:
I am the person who left a message on your phone machine a week ago Sunday. I had hoped that your service as an officer in the Air Force would lead you to take your Senate oath of impeachment more seriously than the other run-of-the-mill Senators you share the chambers with. Apparently you did not.

That Trump did the things the House accused him of was not in question. Ample evidence and his own statements proved his guilt to anyone but the most partisan supporter of him. As I said in the message, the only question to be answered is, does what he did rise to the level where the impeachment should lead to his removal from office.

Again, as I said in the message, if withholding money Congress had appropriated -- military aid to help a struggling ally withstand encroachment by a dictatorial regime -- is not sufficient to warrant removal from office, what is? This goes double when you consider that -- like sending Al Capone to prison for tax evasion -- the impeachment charges were merely the easiest to prove in a long list of malfeasances.

In the days since his "vindication" Trump has shown, as always, what a petty, vengeful man he is, discharging Lt. Colonel Vindman and Ambassador Sondlund mere weeks before they were scheduled to leave anyway. Can Michael Atkinson be far behind? Can you honestly say you are surprised?

Trump's actions these past three years will lead me to vote, for the first time in my life, for the Democrat nominee for President come November, regardless of who he or she might be. I can see now that I need not vote Republican down ticket, either.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:19 AM

Beautifully put, DD.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Beautiful.

Remember when Trump attacked McCain for being a POW? When he attacked Gisela Khan, hinting that her "culture" wouldn't let her speak? When he attacked Sgt. LaDavid Johnson's young widow, Myeisha, on her way to greet her husband's coffin?

There's so many more incidents where this five-time draft dodger and friend of Ted Nugent has insulted the military or treated them as menial servants.

McSally and her ilk have shown they are not brothers in arms. How far would they follow Trump? Is there any desire of his they will not satisfy, any order they will refuse, any lie they will not tell?
Old 02-10-2020, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
He's blowing up a National Monument that's sacred to Native Americans to plow his wall through it.
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/org...all-2020-02-07
This breaks my heart.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:09 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Has any other president, as part of the state of the union speech, stopped the speech to award one of the nation's highest honors to an obviously undeserving unamerican toadie?
Old 02-10-2020, 01:21 PM

Never. In one fell swoop he debased both the SOTU and the Medal of Freedom.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:16 PM
SDSAB

Points for efficiency, I guess.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I feel bad for Duke Ellington, who was debased enough already to have to have received it from Nixon.

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 02-10-2020 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Adverb
Old 02-10-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
You have made the right call. Respect for the message you sent, and the decision you made.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:11 AM

I just want to add that the down ticket votes are even more vitally important this time around. If a Democrat president manages to win, having support in the houses of congress is vital, and if they don't win and Cheetolini is reelected, a Democrat congress might keep him in check.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Trump's expert opinion on the Coronavirus:

Quote:
“A lot of people think that goes away in April as the heat comes in,” he said of the outbreak that began in the Chinese city of Wuhan. “Typically that will go away in April. We’re in great shape though. We have 12 cases, 11 cases, and many of them are in good shape.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...B39?li=BBnb7Kz
Old 02-11-2020, 09:15 AM

"Though April Corona viruses may come your way,
They bring the graves that fill in May..."

CMC fnord!
Old 02-11-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post

"Nobody knows more about viruses than me."
Old 02-11-2020, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
You have made the right call. Respect for the message you sent, and the decision you made.
I received an auto-response from her office. Color me surprised if I get a genuine response.

Meanwhile, it seems she was one of the senators who urged Trump not fire the witnesses so I'm sure she has regrets now at her acquittal vote.

Last edited by DesertDog; 02-11-2020 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post

Quote:
“A lot of people think that goes away in April as the heat comes in,” he said of the outbreak that began in the Chinese city of Wuhan. “Typically that will go away in April. We’re in great shape though. We have 12 cases, 11 cases, and many of them are in good shape.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...B39?li=BBnb7Kz
To paraphrase Jimmy Kimmel: "See, global warming is a good thing"
Old 02-11-2020, 10:10 PM
SDSAB

All four federal prosecutors quit the Roger Stone case after DOJ overrules them on sentencing request: https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/11/polit...ent/index.html
Old 02-11-2020, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The future of the Republican Party depends on people like you. They need to have party members who are willing to tell them the party needs to stand for some principle greater than just staying in power.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
All four federal prosecutors quit the Roger Stone case after DOJ overrules them on sentencing request: https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/11/polit...ent/index.html
We may need a "How has Bill Barr pissed you off today?" thread. The nation's top lawyer is instrumental in abandoning the rule of law and replacing it with corruption, lies and the pursuit of power. I can't decide if I loathe him or McConnell more, and I loathe both of them even more than Trump.