Old 01-03-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Those should be two separate sentences.
More what - more rage? I don't think that's possible. More intelligence? Same answer.

Regards,
Shodan
Missing word, you cowardly fuckwit. You're a hateful little toad, so you weasel and hint and suggest, always assuming others are as dishonest as you are. Go ahead. Try and criticize that sentence while you ignore the actual meaning of it, which is that you are an aging edgelord without the spine to be direct.

More rage? At the guy who attacks my service after that now-demonstrably-false apology from you? More intelligence? If you consider yourself intelligent, then why are you not intelligent enough to drop that pretense of goid faith that everybody sees through?

You do these drive bys, look for misplaced commas and typos, sneer as if you have a great point to make, and then scuttle away when you finally go too far and get nailed for it. You then wait till you think it's blown over, then slither back, looking for your next victim.

This sums up Republican "men" to me. You don't have the guts to fight openly because you know your beliefs are indefensible, but you cling to them because they're the only things that make you feel remotely adequate. You offer nothing substantive, just constant drivebys here and there, after which you scurry away.

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/...-judges-225455
Old 01-03-2020, 12:09 PM

The squalid, craven little rodent isn't capable of admitting when he's wrong. His fragile ego couldn't bear it.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
How did he violate the constitution again in a way that previous unimpeached presidents have not? Please explain how he has so clearly violated the constitution that Republican politicians are duty bound to vote against their own party?
In the act of taking the oath of office, he perjured himself.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 01-03-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

When the Bible started to smolder when he put his hand on it, that should have tipped us off right there.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
This statement is unclear - are you asserting that Congress paid off hundreds of thousands of dollars of debts for Kavanaugh?
I suspect Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan would not agree with what you mention above.
Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! And it ain't over now!

Regards,
Shodan
You should really change your handle to something like Pasquale, or Jimbo, or Clem. You don’t deserve to share the name of a character from a fine product such as “Schlock Mercenary”; a piece of crap like “Rose is Rose” is more your speed.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 01-03-2020 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Actually, a shodan is the first black belt rank in flower arrangement, with an emphasis on its combat applications.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Actually, a shodan is the first black belt rank in flower arrangement, with an emphasis on its combat applications.
Pretty sure he reads the webcomic and took his handle from there (the color of his belt notwithstanding).
Old 01-03-2020, 03:12 PM

I'm surrounded by xtian conservatives, so I get to hear their views all the damn time. For folks like my dad they like Trump because he is pro-Israel, and they believe that America being Pro-Israel is the only thing keeping us together as a prosperous nation. According to Jack Chick theology, every nation that turns against God's Chosen People get turned away from and they don't get to be the number one nation anymore.

He also likes the deregulation, and that Trump seems pretty xtian friendly. He's never mentioned supreme court judges, so I don't think he really cares about that. He did hate Hilary very much. Strong women with power are extremely threatening to him. He is also very frightened of trans and gay people, and feels there's a huge gender war going on.

He sees the world as a terrifying, demented place where right has become wrong and up is now down. He wants it to return to a time when white male Christians had privilege, literal Biblical creation was taught in schools, men and women had their assigned roles via assigned genitals and everyone knew their place.

He doesn't believe in man made climate change cos only God can control the weather. Tornadoes and other disasters are God's judgement. The wickeder this world becomes the worse those things will be. He also thinks God is going to burn the whole world up and recreate it one day after the tribulation period where things are gonna get way worse than anyone can imagine, so worrying about trying to save the planet is useless. So he likes how anti-science Trump is, as they share a similar grasp of it.

He also hates and fears Muslims, so any killing of those people is a good thing in his book. He doesn't really talk about the wars though. He is mostly focused on Israel, the rapture, and the gender and culture war. against Bible believing Christians, who are all going to be rounded up and shot one of these days, he is sure. He is also a budding conspiracy theorist and believes whatever he reads on the internet. Like a few months ago he was breathlessly telling my mom about how Hilary Clinton is really a man because he read it. On the internet. But he only believes stuff that comes from right wing sources.

I'm not sure intelligence and Trump support really go together. Trump support is purely emotionally based. And you cannot rationally or intelligently defend emotion. I'm voting for him because I'm scared or angry and I want revenge isn't something most of them will tell you, but it's the only right answer. IMO
Old 01-03-2020, 03:41 PM

I can't think of the name for this but there's a rule for how to ask questions in software that it's important to provide your history and what you're actually trying to achieve at the high level.

The problem is that if you don't understand the basics then, when you try to solve your own problem, you go down a bizarre path and end up getting stuck on something there.

Like, you forgot the combination to your electronic safe, so you decide that you need to short circuit the system because that might cause it to release, so you get on the local elections DIY website and ask people what thickness of rubber you need for your gloves to hack into the wall outlet.

Subsequently, the DIY people spend a hundred messages trying to get the guy to hire an electrician, but he keeps refusing because he'd "rather just buy a drill if he needs to go to the next level". And then after much angst and confusion, a safe is finally mentioned, a few people have a gear click, and eventually they're able to show the guy how to look up the factory manual on the maker's website.

Now, thinking further about EasyPhil's purported anti-privacy violations deal, I realize that there is some chance that we're dealing with that sort of situation.

Phil, do you mind simply explaining what in the world you think needs to happen in the world? Who is good, who is bad, what things you fear might happen if we don't do X, etc.? Let's not get lost in minutiae. Go broad and let us have it. Who are you?

Last edited by Sage Rat; 01-03-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Bigger policy objectives? I just retired from a firm where the most popular bumper sticker was a variation of the unauthorized "Calvin taking a piss", only instead of Calvin's face it is Trump's and he is pissing on someone labeled as a "liberal".
A lot of people didn't like Clinton either. But the reason a lot of conservatives support Trump is because he has been checking enough of the boxes that conservatives want checked (particularly judicial nominees) that they are willing to turn a blind eye to the racism.

If you are Republican, you have been turning a blind eye to subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) racism for decades and you have been telling yourself that it's OK because Republicans denounced and repudiated the worst of the racists. It's not a huge leap to go without that fig leaf when Trump seems like he might be able to deliver a generation long conservative majority on the supreme court.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardel-Lux View Post
That figures, as there are good people on both sides... oh, wait!

Right. because that is EXACTLY what I said
Old 01-03-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMysteryWriter View Post
I'm surrounded by xtian conservatives, so I get to hear their views all the damn time. For folks like my dad they like Trump because he is pro-Israel, and they believe that America being Pro-Israel is the only thing keeping us together as a prosperous nation. According to Jack Chick theology, every nation that turns against God's Chosen People get turned away from and they don't get to be the number one nation anymore.
Don't the fundies only want Israel around for their Rapture? Once that happens, Israel gets wiped off the map.

I wonder how these Rapture folks feel about the Nazis running under the Repub banner.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
Trump used the might and power of the office of the President of the United States to withhold military funding and weapons from a small nation being occupied by the forces of his great pal, Vladimir Putin. (If your standard of guilt for Repubs requires crystal clear confessions it's a striking change from the way you guys treat Republican false accusations against Dems.) Hanging over the conversation was Putin, whose enemies and critics have a marked tendency to suddenly drop dead.
Once again, not everyone that disagrees with you is a Republican. You are deliberately shrinking the size of your tent to people who think exactly like you. This is how you lose elections.

The recording looked real bad from where I was standing, it is inappropriate to suggest a foreign power investigate a political opponent. But it's not treason, it's not unconstitutional. It's not enough that a Republican politician has to vote for impeachment.

We do not remove democratically elected presidents because left wing nuts like you feel very strongly that we should do so.

Quote:
And now, after Trump abandoned the Kurds to be slaughtered, what form would such threats take?
No idea what you are talking about here but conservatives I know were all pretty upset about that but not upset enough to abandon the guy that put Gorsuch and Kavanaugh on the court and may very well put RBG and Breyer's replacements on the court

Quote:
Eleven people died while Trump jerked Zelensky around.
11 Americans? Or are Republican politicians honor bound to impeach their own president because Ukrainian soldiers died fighting for Ukraine because we didn't help them quickly enough?

Are you suggesting that those deaths would not have occurred if Trump went ahead with the aid?

Quote:
Why is that not bad enough?
You'll have to ask the Republican congressmen but I suspect they do not share your beliefs on many things, including the threshhold that must be met to impeach a Republican president.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
I don't know how to break it to you or other Republicans, but the impeachment is as inevitable as anything that already happened. Trump was impeached. What we're talking about is the sentencing phase.
Yes, I mistyped. Replace impeachment with outcome in that sentence.

And I'm not a Republican. Once again, not everyone that doesn't conform to the hive mind here is a republican.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Trump impeachment: A very simple guide

The US constitution states a president "shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes or misdemeanours".

A rough transcript of the call revealed that Mr Trump had urged President Zelensky to investigate discredited allegations against Joe and Hunter Biden.

The call came shortly after Mr Trump had blocked the release of millions of dollars in US military aid to Ukraine. A senior official later testified that the president made clear the release of the aid was conditional on Mr Biden being investigated, but the White House denies this.

In a series of public hearings, a procession of US officials have testified that there was a White House shadow foreign policy led by the president's personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani.

Its aim was to get Ukraine to open an investigation into the Bidens and declare as much publicly.

-----------------

Strong-arming a foreign country to investigate a political rival sounds pretty heinous, don't you think? Every past president that supported sanctions or withheld aid did so to oppose countries that violate human rights, not to gain leverage for his own personal gains. Never mind Trump's intentions. He's clearly ignorant of the law and the Constitution (except for the part about guns) and should be fired for utter incompetence.

Oh that's right, you only see "liberal echo chamber."
If it was up to me we would have removed Trump about 6 months into his presidency but it's not up to me. And it's certainly not up to this liberal echo chamber. It's up to congress to decide if what he did was bad enough to be removed from office.

If you honestly don't recognize that this site is a liberal echo chamber then you are too far gone to be any good to anyone. Just keep your mouth shut in public so you don't scare away the moderates.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Fuck it, I ain't editing.

McConnell bragging about he stole vacant judicial sears from Obama. .

Shodan will now, of course, pretend to be confused and ask, "But whatever could you possibly mean?"

This shit----from a guy several decades past adolescent edgelorditude----is why I despise conservatives. I hope each and every one of them finds themselves experiencing all the treatment they wished on others as evinced by the scummy politicians they defend.
I don't believe it was ever any secret what McConnell was doing when he refused to hold a vote for Garlock. Just like it's never really been a secret what the Democrats were doing by pushing the rape charges against Kavanaugh. It might have happened, it might not have happened but it was purely politically motivated, but they're politicians and that's what politicians do. But at least they drop it after the possibility of political advantage has passed.

You seem to continue to think that Kavanaugh is a rapist based on one person's testimony and the "concern" expressed by a bunch of politicians.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Once again, not everyone that disagrees with you is a Republican. You are deliberately shrinking the size of your tent to people who think exactly like you. This is how you lose elections.
How RUDE to demand the facts.

1. Trump demanded a favor from the new president of Ukraine.
2. Trump slobbers all over Putin every chance he gets.
3. Ukraine is a small country.
4. Putin invaded Ukraine.
5. Whatever you're yapping about with regard to those 11people, you're either being unbelievably obtuse or just exhibiting more of that Reichwing bad faith. Whine more about how you're not a Trump supporter, somehow you only defend him.
6. Trump linked aid to Ukraine inventing crap about the Bidens.
7. He held onto the aid until Ukraine agreed to attack the Bidens.

This is illegal in at least three ways, you simpering hemorrhoid. The money was already designated as Ukraine's by Congress and by law once that happens it's not supposed to be trifled with. IT'S FUCKING EXTORTION. And finally, it's Trump using the fucking office against somebody who's a personal enemy, but who has no policy significance.

And to willfully omit that Repubs throw hundreds of thousands of ONLY Dem voters off the rolls, that they gerrymander districts into ludicrous configurations to give them the numbers, and that Russia helped steal the election is Pizzagate/climate change denial-level rejection of reality.

Quote:
We do not remove democratically elected presidents because left wing nuts like you feel very strongly that we should do so.
He wasn't lawfully elected, asshole. Left wing nut? On the ignore list you go.

Quote:
11 Americans? Or are Republican politicians honor bound to impeach their own president because Ukrainian soldiers died fighting for Ukraine because we didn't help them quickly enough?

Are you suggesting that those deaths would not have occurred if Trump went ahead with the aid?
Yeah, of course not, you twit, I just like introducing random facts about, oh, Sri Lanka while I'm talking about Ukraine.

Quote:
You'll have to ask the Republican congressmen but I suspect they do not share your beliefs on many things, including the threshhold that must be met to impeach a Republican president.
Trump is evil and a blatant traitor. Anybody who defends him is a hypocrite, a liar, a traitor, and/or irredeemably stupid.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
Well, OP answered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExXfWtZRxZ4
Old 01-03-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
The recording looked real bad from where I was standing, it is inappropriate to suggest a foreign power investigate a political opponent. But it's not treason, it's not unconstitutional.
I'm curious what definition of "Constitutional" you're operating under?

Short of taking the stance that anything is Constitutional so long as you can get 34 Senators to decide not to impeach you, and the list of impeachable acts is just flowery talk that's not meant to be taken literally, I find it hard to envision making a serious argument that we're in Constitutionally-approved territory on this one.

I mean, I grant that Biblical interpretation has probably stayed farther from the text and historical meaning than you what you seem to be suggesting, but that's a a pretty dire catastrophe.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 01-03-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
The way I read it, he had debts of:
$60,000--to $200,000, which given that he's him, strikes me as an attempt to obfuscate, so I'm going to lean toward the higher figure;
the $92,000 country club fee---which was more than his entire salary at some points;
the, what, $250,000 down payment on the house;
the tens of thousands of dollars he claims he spent on Nats tickets for "a handful of friends" (who he said paid him back)
but he paid all this off very suddenly.
There's also mention of nonspecific "home repairs".
If family helped him, why on earth would he not say so? The fact that he did not do so makes me wonder why not.

At one point, then, he somehow had to come up with approximately $342,000 dollars. Is that in addition to the credit card debt? Or is it part of it?
I think that is probably the total. His parents are fairly affluent. He wouldn't be the first guy to get bailed out by really rich parents.

Quote:
At the very least, there are tax implications, aren't there?
Not really. The UGTI exemption is something like 11 million dollars now. Inter-generational transfers of wealth are almost entirely tax free now except for the obscenely wealthy. It's funny, I still see moderately wealthy people engaging in tax planning when the need for such tax planning has effectively evaporated for almost everyone.

Quote:
Did he put the down payment, the country club entrance fee plus the yearly dues and the school tuitions on credit cards? The country club fee is $9000 a year; the two school tuitions are approximately $21,000 per year. If he's putting those on credit cards every year, those add up fast.
He was a partner at a Kirkland & Ellis for several years.

Quote:
Given the way he lied through his teeth to Congress, I wonder what else he's lying about. It's that disingenuous, "No, sir, the Devil's Triangle" is not sexual," type of ruse. A kid who bragged about boofing, kegs, and being a "Renate alumnus" was not a shy, studious, choir boy.

Whatever his finances, he carried those credit card debts till shortly before Trump nominated him to the SCOTUS, after which they abruptly disappeared.
Do you honestly think you caught something that the Democratic party missed? If there was something fishy or corrupt about how that debt got paid off, you wouldn't have to guess about it.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Maybe try being less of a dick from time to time. Is that possible, or same answer?
Yes, clearly. Shodan is being the biggest prick on this thread. You're right to focus on him for his tone and behavior.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
In the act of taking the oath of office, he perjured himself.
The oath of office is about stuff you will do in the future. How do you perjure yourself about something that hasn't happened yet?
Old 01-03-2020, 08:13 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, clearly. Shodan is being the biggest prick on this thread. You're right to focus on him for his tone and behavior.
If you have a better nominee, at least have the guts to name names.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure he reads the webcomic and took his handle from there (the color of his belt notwithstanding).
Doesn't he teach tae kwon do in the midwest somewhere (maybe texas)?

Or am I thinking of another poster?
Old 01-03-2020, 08:14 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
The oath of office is about stuff you will do in the future. How do you perjure yourself about something that hasn't happened yet?
The oath of office only pertains to what you did before you took the oath?
Old 01-03-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I dunno, I always assumed it was a reference to the murderously insane ranting AI from System Shock. Seemed fitting.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
We could fiddle with that oath. Make it about past practices, put some retrospective and some prospective words in there, put an ejector seat in that oval office. Make America great again.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
How RUDE to demand the facts.
Were you demaninding facts of me or are you saying that I am being rude for demanding facts of you?

Quote:
1. Trump demanded a favor from the new president of Ukraine.
2. Trump slobbers all over Putin every chance he gets.
3. Ukraine is a small country.
4. Putin invaded Ukraine.
I don't really disagree with any of the above.

Quote:
5. Whatever you're yapping about with regard to those 11people, you're either being unbelievably obtuse or just exhibiting more of that Reichwing bad faith. Whine more about how you're not a Trump supporter, somehow you only defend him.
This thread literally asks for defenses of Trump.

The fact of the matter is that you are irrelevant. I can predict your political behavior no matter what the facts are. You are effectively the flip side of all the right wing folks you purport to detest.

Quote:
6. Trump linked aid to Ukraine inventing crap about the Bidens.
It's not all invented. Biden's son Hunter is an embarassment. It's a small wonder that he and Trump aren't whoring buddies. It sounds horrible but the wrong Biden son died young.

Quote:
7. He held onto the aid until Ukraine agreed to attack the Bidens.

This is illegal in at least three ways, you simpering hemorrhoid.
First, I'm pretty sure the aid got released 2 days after the investigations into the aid began.

Second, do you understand the difference between illegal and unconstitutional?

Do you understand that it's not illegal just because you say it is? He has an excuse. I don't find it particularly credible but his excuse was that he was concerned about corruption.

Quote:
The money was already designated as Ukraine's by Congress and by law once that happens it's not supposed to be trifled with.
Of course it can be trifled with. It can certainly be delayed a couple of months if the president thinks it's all just going into the pockets of corrupt government officials (not saying that's what was happening but that's their excuse).

Quote:
IT'S FUCKING EXTORTION.
Much of foreign policy is extortion. Some of it is permissible, some of it is not.

Quote:
And finally, it's Trump using the fucking office against somebody who's a personal enemy, but who has no policy significance.
Once again, not enough to force a Republican to impeach a Republican president.

Quote:
And to willfully omit that Repubs throw hundreds of thousands of ONLY Dem voters off the rolls, that they gerrymander districts into ludicrous configurations to give them the numbers, and that Russia helped steal the election is Pizzagate/climate change denial-level rejection of reality.
Willfully? I can't respond to every demented sidebar rant you throw out there. WTF does gerrymandering have to do with this conversation? Should we talk about who REALLY authored the shakespeare sonnets next?

Quote:
He wasn't lawfully elected, asshole. Left wing nut? On the ignore list you go.
Wow. After all the shit you called me, you are getting the vapors at being called a left wing nut?

I don't know if you can see this but I'd really like to know why you think Trump was not lawfully elected? Did he cheat during the debates like Hillary? Did his party try to throw the nomination his way and undermine other republican candidates like the DNC did with Hillary? Or are you just one of those guys that cries that it's not fair whenever you lose?

Quote:
Yeah, of course not, you twit, I just like introducing random facts about, oh, Sri Lanka while I'm talking about Ukraine.
So I don't really read these boards enough but is margin mentally unstable or something? Because this is really starting to sound mentally unstable. Sri Lanka? Was something I wrote a non sequitor? Or is this just what SDMB liberals look like these days?

Quote:
Trump is evil and a blatant traitor. Anybody who defends him is a hypocrite, a liar, a traitor, and/or irredeemably stupid.
Trump may be evil. He may even be a traitor. But how is defending him hypocritical when they are asked to present defenses of him?

Seriously. Is margin mentally unstable?
Old 01-03-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
I'm curious what definition of "Constitutional" you're operating under?

Short of taking the stance that anything is Constitutional so long as you can get 34 Senators to decide not to impeach you, and the list of impeachable acts is just flowery talk that's not meant to be taken literally, I find it hard to envision making a serious argument that we're in Constitutionally-approved territory on this one.
If you're going to read the constitutionality of something so narrowlyu then, a standing army isn't constitutionally approved either. Neither is a federal minimum wage or protection of abortion rights.

We have come a long way since anyone felt that government action had to be approved by the constitution. The general consensus is that the government canengage in behavior that isn't prohibited by the constitution.

So is what Trump did prohibited by the constitution? Can you point to the part of the constitution that prohibits that behavior? As reprehensible as it is, where does he run afoul?

Quote:
I mean, I grant that Biblical interpretation has probably stayed farther from the text and historical meaning than you what you seem to be suggesting, but that's a a pretty dire catastrophe.
Ummm biblical? catastrophe?
Old 01-03-2020, 08:54 PM

"I see left wing nuts"
Old 01-03-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
If you have a better nominee, at least have the guts to name names.
Was I being too coy? Margin has been a raging asshole way in excess of what Shodan has exhibited on this thread. Perhaps he is being given a pass because he is in fact mentally unstable and I never got the memo or perhaps it's because this site is Arrakis for conservatives like Shodan and Disneyland for liberals like margin.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Work on your reading comprehension
Old 01-03-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
If you're going to read the constitutionality of something so narrowlyu then, a standing army isn't constitutionally approved either. Neither is a federal minimum wage or protection of abortion rights.

We have come a long way since anyone felt that government action had to be approved by the constitution. The general consensus is that the government canengage in behavior that isn't prohibited by the constitution.

So is what Trump did prohibited by the constitution? Can you point to the part of the constitution that prohibits that behavior? As reprehensible as it is, where does he run afoul?
The government and the man are separate things. The President certainly does have room to go against the demands of Congress, within the course of his duties. And if that was the issue, you would have a point and I do take that, that is your point.

But I say that it is inconceivable to think that the writers of the Constitution empowered corruption nor that they ever thought that corruption would somehow be non-impeachable nor that there is some vague interpretation of the Constitution which one can expand to go, "Yup, corruption = Okay".

Before even getting into any sort of textual or historical analysis, would that pass the smell test for you?
Old 01-03-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Was I being too coy? Margin has been a raging asshole way in excess of what Shodan has exhibited on this thread. Perhaps he is being given a pass because he is in fact mentally unstable and I never got the memo or perhaps it's because this site is Arrakis for conservatives like Shodan and Disneyland for liberals like margin.
She's a veteran who's been treated for PTSD. A fact that Shodan takes great delight in mocking her for.

Shorter version: Go get fucked you sniveling piece of shit.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
The government and the man are separate things. The President certainly does have room to go against the demands of Congress, within the course of his duties. And if that was the issue, you would have a point and I do take that, that is your point.

But I say that it is inconceivable to think that the writers of the Constitution empowered corruption nor that they ever thought that corruption would somehow be non-impeachable nor that there is some vague interpretation of the Constitution which one can expand to go, "Yup, corruption = Okay".

Before even getting into any sort of textual or historical analysis, would that pass the smell test for you?
Not for me, but it does for the Republican congressmen.

Trump is making the argument that his request delay was not the result of HIS corruption but the result of UKRAINIAN corruption. I don't believe it so if you would like to appoint me king, I would remove him and let Pence take his place. But it takes more than that to convince Republican congressmen to vote to impeach a Republican president especially in the current hyper partisan environment.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Not for me, but it does for the Republican congressmen.

Trump is making the argument that his request delay was not the result of HIS corruption but the result of UKRAINIAN corruption. I don't believe it so if you would like to appoint me king, I would remove him and let Pence take his place. But it takes more than that to convince Republican congressmen to vote to impeach a Republican president especially in the current hyper partisan environment.
Fair enough. But I will note that you were previously saying "in your definition". You've now switched that around to "Republicans in Congress' actions".

To quote:

Quote:
The recording looked real bad from where I was standing, it is inappropriate to suggest a foreign power investigate a political opponent. But it's not treason, it's not unconstitutional.
It is unconstitutional. Whether the conviction will successfully be brought to fruition by the fucktards in Congress be as it may, it was an unconstitutional activity. And the fucktards are breaking their oaths if they fail to convict.

(I'll also note that besides corruption, Congress also has the clear and Constitutional right to Oversight, and that is also in the impeachment writ.)

Last edited by Sage Rat; 01-03-2020 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
If it was up to me we would have removed Trump about 6 months into his presidency but it's not up to me. And it's certainly not up to this liberal echo chamber. It's up to congress to decide if what he did was bad enough to be removed from office.

If you honestly don't recognize that this site is a liberal echo chamber then you are too far gone to be any good to anyone. Just keep your mouth shut in public so you don't scare away the moderates.
You just gotta remain faithful to that label, don't ya? Just like the way you don't support Republicans and it's obviously a "Get Out of Hell Free" card you're holding on to. If Trump does get shitcanned, you can say "See? I'm on the winning side! I'm one of you!" That's such a transparent fucking hedge.

If this is a liberal echo chamber, how do you think it started? Do you think a bunch of liberal nogoodniks secretly email each other and agree to spam this message board with identical leftist creeds? What about you and other conservatives who share the same opinion? Are you a conservative echo chamber? "But I'm not a conservative. I'm a liberal who echoes conservative talking points/ I'm just like you and I see nothing wrong with sucking Trump's cock."

Quit insulting our intelligence. We haven't bought your self-denial schtick ever.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:31 PM

At the risk of onerous derailing, darned if I can think of a less hivey site than this one. (Of this size).
Old 01-03-2020, 11:47 PM

Shit.
I meant to say odious, not onerous.
Fuck.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Much of foreign policy is extortion. Some of it is permissible, some of it is not.
Foreign policy involves the goals and benefit of the country. Not the man in the foreign policy chair. Don't you even try calling what Trump did "foreign policy". It was *selling out* foreign policy.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
By never intending to faithfully fulfill the oath, of course.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:35 AM

Quote:
I'm a combat veteran who has spoken openly about struggling against PTSD for years-----in the hope that another vet might see and realize that they're not alone. Half my Iraq company has PTSD. Several killed themselves. I tried four times.

Shodan has repeatedly, viciously, attacked me over it. For years. Then he slithers away and pretends----and sometimes protests----that despite his taunts that specify mental illness, he didn't know. Like he did a few pages ago.

If any veterans read this, here is the number that you can call. Press 1, for military. Don't do something permanent about temporary problems. Call 1-800-273-8255. 24 hours every day. Put that number on speed dial.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
... A rough transcript of the call revealed that Mr Trump had urged President Zelensky to investigate discredited allegations against Joe and Hunter Biden.

The call came shortly after Mr Trump had blocked the release of millions of dollars in US military aid to Ukraine. A senior official later testified that the president made clear the release of the aid was conditional on Mr Biden being investigated ...
Nitpick (although your own post goes on to make the point):
Trump didn't actually care about the investigation, which he knew would turn up nothing.
What he needed was that Zelensky announce a Biden investigation publicly.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
An oath is a promise about the future, which also implies a behavioral past. To break an oath is called perjury. Making this distinction about past vs future behavior might be a good way to split the baby for less important matters, but why would we have an oath for the presidency if it was only about prosepctive matters going forward, which might be successfully defended on technical grounds? Oaths are serious and can't be parsed like that.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:04 PM

There is a reason we would not let Bernie Madoff take the presidential oath. We might believe he can stay out of trouble for four years and not be a bad boy. If he's potus he won't need to break the law: potuses and ex potuses all do well financially. So why would we not let him take the oath?

Try the thought experiment with any unconvicted criminal type that you can think of.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
This is also what I said about Shodan:

Quote:
The squalid, craven little rodent isn't capable of admitting when he's wrong. His fragile ego couldn't bear it.
This is why:

See posts #169 and #183.

He has a history of presenting disingenuous arguments.

Accusation stands.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 01-04-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Don't the fundies only want Israel around for their Rapture? Once that happens, Israel gets wiped off the map.

I wonder how these Rapture folks feel about the Nazis running under the Repub banner.
According to my dad's beliefs the rapture happens to take all the xtians away, then the 7 year tribulation period happens to punish Israel and to eventually make them all accept Jesus. Then after that is the millennium where Jesus sits on the throne in Jerusalem and the entire world is now under Jewish law.

I don't know if folks like my dad think anyone in the Republican Party is a Nazi. Of course they might all be Nazis themselves, which is why they wouldn't recognize it. Not sure. But I do know my dad is okay with everything that's happening.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMysteryWriter View Post
According to my dad's beliefs the rapture happens to take all the xtians away, then the 7 year tribulation period happens to punish Israel and to eventually make them all accept Jesus. Then after that is the millennium where Jesus sits on the throne in Jerusalem and the entire world is now under Jewish law.

I don't know if folks like my dad think anyone in the Republican Party is a Nazi. Of course they might all be Nazis themselves, which is why they wouldn't recognize it. Not sure. But I do know my dad is okay with everything that's happening.
Christians have never forgiven the Jews for not accepting Jesus as the Messiah, instead treating him like a naughty little boy.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Christians have never forgiven the Jews for not accepting Jesus as the Messiah, instead treating him like a naughty little boy.
*teehee*
Old 01-04-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Ummm biblical? catastrophe?
If there is one thing which is unambiguously banned by Jesus, Paul, and the Old Testament, it's divorce. There is no other thing in the whole Bible that we can be more sure of, in the text, in regards to what the Creator of you, your family, your friends, and life on Earth, than that he wants you to pick someone and make it work, come hell or high water. And you're not even allowed to murder each other.

Argue all you want about taxes, homosexuality, or anything else where religion intersects with the laws that people want to have passed or removed, it would be impossible to explain how we live in a world where there is a greater political effort to establish prayer in schools than there is to ensure that the spiritual bond between a man and a woman is never treated flippantly, never entered into for base needs, and never ever sundered.

And that, that sounds like a joke - well, there's human fidelity to things they don't want to do, because of their own personal reasons, for you.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 01-04-2020 at 03:21 PM.