Old 03-14-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post

Oh, you mean besides ALS?
I knew he had ALS. I hadn't heard he'd taken a turn for the worse.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
[Moderating]

Since Hawking wasn't an artistic figure, I'm merging the CS thread into the MPSIMS thread.
He authored and co-wrote over a dozen books, appeared in multiple films and TV shows and was the primary subject of several, including an Oscar nominated bio-pic. Arguably, he was a bigger celebrity than he was a scientist. Not many scientists become as big a part of the popular culture as he did. Not protesting the move, but I disagree that he wasn't an artistic figure.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Arguably, he was a bigger celebrity than he was a scientist.
I'd actually agree, but "celebrity" isn't synonymous with "artist".
Old 03-14-2018, 11:06 AM

I can remember how urgently doctors worked to keep Stephen alive and working in the 70's and 80's.

His work was so ground breaking and important for science. Individuals like Isaac Newton and Hawking may only appear once in a generation.

It may be another century before the full scope of Hawkings theoretical work will be fully understood and proven.

Even his recent work may someday be proven and applied in ways we can't even imagine.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-14-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:51 PM

This bums me out quite a bit. I met Hawking back in the day at one of my fathers meetings. A large percentage of our family vacations when I was growing up was heading out to scientific meetings. We would get to the destination on a weekend and do vacation-y things. During the week my father would do his meetings and my mother and I would do vacation-y things. The following weekend we'd do more vacation-y things as a family and drive home.

The bonus was that, since my father drove to to the meeting for business, a lot of the cost was picked up by the business.

I met Hawking at one of the meetings, during a dinner. I vaguely remember it. It was before he published A Brief History of Time.

I have, if such a thing existed, a Hawking number of 2*. My Dad worked with Hawking at the meetings and I worked (I am counting homework here. Don't laugh, it was science! And math!) with my father.

I also have a Feynman number of 2**. Dick K, a very good friend of our family, worked with Feynman. Once again, I worked with Dick (homework again. Physics!).

Slee

*Yeah, a stretch.
** See above.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I'd actually agree, but "celebrity" isn't synonymous with "artist".
Of course, but he was also an author of pop culture science books and a performer with many credits in fictional entertainment material. He even wrote five fiction children books. Mundane and pointless is not how I would have described him for he was no mere celebrity.

He was even a singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfcC6FYyL4U
Old 03-14-2018, 03:39 PM

This one hurts, I never had the honor to meet him, but I feel as if a family member had died, very much like Douglas Adams.

Farewell, Professor, the world has become dramatically smaller and dumber with you gone, the collective IQ of the human race has slipped downwards
Old 03-14-2018, 03:53 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
See post 18.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
Maybe hed still be alive if no one checked in on him today.
If you can't tell Hawking and Schrodinger apart, perhaps you know too much about their velocities and not enough about their vocations.

RIP, Steven Hawking. I like to think you'd be happy with the general public making (terrible) physics jokes.

(and yes, I know that's Heisenberg.)
Old 03-14-2018, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Married twice, with three children. I did NOT know that!
Old 03-14-2018, 06:54 PM

even though he far outlived the doctor's predictions, still gone too soon. RIP, Stephen Hawking.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Married twice, with three children. I did NOT know that!
Rumor has it that he was quite the ladies' man. When you're perceived as the best in the world at something, you're going to be able to find as many willing partners as you'd want.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischievous View Post
If you can't tell Hawking and Schrodinger apart, perhaps you know too much about their velocities and not enough about their vocations.

RIP, Steven Hawking. I like to think you'd be happy with the general public making (terrible) physics jokes.

(and yes, I know that's Heisenberg.)
Oh, I know who’s who; though Hawking wasn’t very fast, he was a quantum physicist all the same.

Last edited by cmyk; 03-14-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Maybe it's because I've been reading Andrew Lloyd Webber's memoir Unmasked, but I wonder how a musical version of Hawkings's life could be done. And would it succeed?

I highly recommend this book. BTW, I did not know his first daughter Imogen's middle name was Annie.