View Poll Results: Do you support "well regulated" nuclear power?
I am to the right of center and I support nuclear power. 24 12.37%
I consider myself a right leaning centrist and I support nuclear power. 22 11.34%
I am a left leaning centrist and I support nuclear power. 65 33.51%
I consider myself a "leftist" and I support nuclear power. 59 30.41%
I consider myself to right of center and I do not support nuclear power. 0 0%
I am a right leaning centrist and I do not support nuclear power. 1 0.52%
I consider myself a left leaning centrist and I do not support nuclear power. 8 4.12%
I am a "leftist" and I do not support nuclear power. 7 3.61%
Currently, I really don't have an opinion one way or another on nuclear power. 4 2.06%
This is a fishing expedition isn't it; I will not answer your invasive questions! 4 2.06%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2018, 06:45 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Though perhaps not on this board, I consider myself a left leaning centrist (well, I actually think I'm a centrist leaning centrist but that wasn't a choice and I'm more left leaning than right on most things) and I definitely support nuclear power. It should definitely be a large part of our energy mix, though I think solar and wind should also be larger parts as well, though they are more niche power generators while nuclear should be the core. IMHO and all that.

As to the waste issue, that's certainly a concern, but it's manageable and, basically, you are talking about a local risk verse a global one...I'm going to go with the global one as being more serious and immediate. I think that a lot of that risk could be mitigated with public support of nuclear power and the use of next generation reactors, though obviously there will always be some risk (even if we ever figure out fusion there will be risks).

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 03-15-2018, 12:34 PM

I can understand why people are against nuclear power. When I was a kid, and I heard about chernobyl, and about how nuclear waste would be around for millions of years, I though nuclear was just all kinds of stupid. It's dirty, it's dangerous, and it leaves behind waste that will be problems for longer than humanity has existed.

I kept that bias for a bit, going into adulthood, thinking that nuclear was not the way to go. It was really the anti-nuclear crowd that opened my eyes, though, because even in my fairly ignorant state, what they were saying just didn't make any sense.

So, I looked into it, and did my own research. I found that the dangers were vastly over hyped. Things could go badly, but not all that badly, really, and the waste issue was not nearly the problem that people made it out to be. And that is with current reactor technology.

We have stuff on the planning table that is much more efficient and safe. There are technical problems to be worked out, and some may prove insurmountable and close particular avenues to nuclear power. If certain types of reactors are practical, it would cut down the waste substantially.