Old 04-21-2018, 12:04 PM

Seems like the Colts are more sold on Andrew Luck than I am. They've turned down 2 trade proposals for Jacoby Brissett while waiting on Luck to get healthy again.

As an aside, am I the only one who thinks that Luck looks and sounds like a caveman when he talks? I know he's a smart man. But the neckbeard doesn't help, either.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/c...r-andrew-luck/
via http://cbssportsapp.com
"Well, let me just go on record as saying that I would never shoot a cat.[...]. Unless it was approaching in a threatening manner... or refused to stop upon my command. I would probably just fire a warning shot to make my point, but that's really a field decision. I can't commit to it at this juncture."
Old 04-21-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
It is quite simple: The only reason a backup QB should be giving a press conference is if he's just pulled some kids out of a burning building.
...and not wearing a Che Guevera t-shirt while doing so.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
As an aside, am I the only one who thinks that Luck looks and sounds like a caveman when he talks? I know he's a smart man. But the neckbeard doesn't help, either.
It's not just you. And he's definitely a dorky looking dude. Whenever I see him smile it looks like someone just told a joke to a retarded kid. (Sorry I know that's not cool but I can't describe it any other way.)
Old 04-21-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
It's not just you. And he's definitely a dorky looking dude. Whenever I see him smile it looks like someone just told a joke to a retarded kid. (Sorry I know that's not cool but I can't describe it any other way.)
Have you seen my baseball?
Old 04-22-2018, 03:30 AM

I haven't done much research on the draft this year, the enthusiam just isn't there. But my relatively uninformed impressions are to set myself on fire if we draft Josh Allen and of the bunch I probably want Mayfield.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:25 PM

I started a NFL Draft thread here.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Have you seen my baseball?
You know who HAS seen his baseball? Vikings legend Brett Favre.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Noted football writer Peter King has left SI for NBC sports. This means that SI.com is now completely irrelevant. That website has gone to absolute Hell over the last few years and it was almost impossible to find King’s MMQB column among all the dreck and clickbait.

King doesn’t always stick to sports, so I expect this is also the end of NBC sports’ comments sections. Still, he’s a great football writer and I’m looking forward to reading him. The NBC Sports Talk app is still quite decent although the regular website has gone downhill.
NBC Sports - ProFootballTalk: Welcome aboard, Peter Kinghttp://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/03/welcome-aboard-peter-king/
Old 05-03-2018, 07:36 PM

Yeah, he was the only reason I read SI, and I've barely even done that in the last few years.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

To save folks from a copy/paste, here is the King link:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rd-peter-king/

I'm at best a casual NFL fan, but I did tend to at least skim MMQB.

Brian

Last edited by N9IWP; 05-04-2018 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

PFTs website is hot garbage and looking at the broader NBC Sports website is like going back in time. Last time I tried their mobile apps it was painful.

SIs is basically a bargain bin knockoff of ESPN's website from 4 years ago, but that's light years ahead of NBC.

PFT has never really gone for the long-form stuff so it will be interesting to see how MMQB evolves. I view King as more of a magazine writer than a blogger, so this fit is a weird one. The Ringer probably didn't have the cash to go grab King, but that would have been the best fit for him. Plus he could have probably found a TV home with Real Sports or something else on HBO.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Looks like Julian Edelman might be missing more time, I assume he tried to help himself recover.

NBC Sports - ProFootballTalk: Report: Julian Edelman facing four-game PED suspensionhttps://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/07/report-julian-edelman-facing-four-game-ped-suspension/
Old 06-07-2018, 03:56 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Noted football writer Peter King has left SI for NBC sports. This means that SI.com is now completely irrelevant. That website has gone to absolute Hell over the last few years and it was almost impossible to find King’s MMQB column among all the dreck and clickbait.
He had announced his departure from SI a month or so ago, and SI.com had featured several retrospectives and tributes to his time there over the past few weeks.

I agree with your assessment about SI.com; their site design is atrocious, and it's full of intrusive, slow-loading ads.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
He had announced his departure from SI a month or so ago, and SI.com had featured several retrospectives and tributes to his time there over the past few weeks.

I agree with your assessment about SI.com; their site design is atrocious, and it's full of intrusive, slow-loading ads.
Remember the reply you quoted was from a month or so ago...
Old 06-08-2018, 06:05 PM

Rumors that Belichick tried to trade Gronk, Brady threatened to retire, Kraft stepped in and stopped it.

Whacky.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Interesting, Washington just gave their 1987 replacement players Super Bowl rings. And, yes, I remember watching replacement player football. When your dorm room TV has only the networks, plus a couple of independent channels, which showed mostly religious programs on Sundays, even replacement football was better than anything else on.

NBC Sports - ProFootballTalk: Washington gives Super Bowl rings to 1987 replacement playershttps://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/13/washington-gives-super-bowl-rings-to-1987-replacement-players/
Old 06-13-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Interesting, Washington just gave their 1987 replacement players Super Bowl rings. And, yes, I remember watching replacement player football. When your dorm room TV has only the networks, plus a couple of independent channels, which showed mostly religious programs on Sundays, even replacement football was better than anything else on.

NBC Sports - ProFootballTalk: Washington gives Super Bowl rings to 1987 replacement playershttps://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/13/washington-gives-super-bowl-rings-to-1987-replacement-players/
Finally. Long overdue!
Old 06-28-2018, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Jameis Winston suspended for three games? Because he flirted with an Uber driver? I hate this league more every day, it’s not like the Bucs, who suck at drawing fans want to start a backup QB such as Ryan Fitzpatrick.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Jameis Winston suspended for three games? Because he flirted with an Uber driver? I hate this league more every day, it’s not like the Bucs, who suck at drawing fans want to start a backup QB such as Ryan Fitzpatrick.
The allegation is that he grabbed her crotch. That's a little beyond flirting. He's a douchebag who throws too many crucial INT's anyway.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
“Jameis behaved poorly” by shouting, in part, homophobic slurs at pedestrians, said Kate, who did not want to be identified by her full name for fear of negative attention and potential backlash from football fans. He then asked to stop for food.

Waiting in line at the drive-thru of Los Betos Mexican Food, “he reached over and he just grabbed my crotch,” Kate said, alleging that Winston held his hand there for three to five seconds and removed it only after she looked up in shock and said, “What’s up with that?”

“I wasn’t just creeped out,” said Kate, who had been driving with Uber for more than two years at that point. (She no longer drives for the service.) “I was frozen.” She described Winston as “very physically imposing.”
"flirted"
Old 06-28-2018, 06:42 PM

If an NFL player murdered a random woman in cold blood, Dale would say she's just a drama queen trying to take down someone famous.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:58 PM

Rae Carruth is innocent!
Old 06-28-2018, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
If an NFL player murdered a random woman in cold blood, Dale would say she's just a drama queen trying to take down someone famous.

Nope, I’d want a fair trial. But I’d let the criminal justice system decide, I wouldn’t suspend him from the league if he’s found not guilty.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Nope, I’d want a fair trial. But I’d let the criminal justice system decide, I wouldn’t suspend him from the league if he’s found not guilty.
If he had a history of such allegations, the public really started to despise him, and it risked hurting the reputation of the league even further by taking no action, you bet I’d suspend him. If I’m the commissioner I’m running an entertainment business, not a government. I’ll do whatever I can do within the law to protect that business.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
So Winston should get a fair trial, but you're perfectly willing to characterize an allegation of sexual assault as "flirting"?
Old 06-29-2018, 02:25 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
If he had a history of such allegations, the public really started to despise him, and it risked hurting the reputation of the league even further by taking no action, you bet I’d suspend him. If I’m the commissioner I’m running an entertainment business, not a government. I’ll do whatever I can do within the law to protect that business.
The NFL has had an ongoing problem with players being accused of assaults against women, and a perception that the league had gone easy on those players. Starting with the Ray Rice incident, the league changed its policies on suspension lengths, but in cases like Winston's, it appears that the player can reduce the length of the suspension by issuing a statement of contrition (though, in Winston's case, it was clearly carefully worded, and he never admitted doing what he was accused of).

Also, in this case, there was some level of trying to cover things up (he initially claimed that he had other people in the Uber car with him, but it's become evident that it was just him and the Uber driver). This also wasn't Winston's first case of misbehavior: he was accused of rape while at Florida State (a case that was apparently not well-investigated by the local police nor his university, and he settled a civil case regarding it out of court). Also while he was at FSU, there was an incident of him screaming sexually explicit words in the middle of campus, which led to a short suspension (link has NSFW language, so it's inside the spoiler):

Last edited by kenobi 65; 06-29-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:29 PM

Yeah, all that factored in and I think Winston got off easy. You can be suspended for longer if you tested positive for marijuana (as a second offense) despite it being increasingly legal and not a performance-enhancing drug.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Yeah, all that factored in and I think Winston got off easy. You can be suspended for longer if you tested positive for marijuana (as a second offense) despite it being increasingly legal and not a performance-enhancing drug.
They really need to amend that policy to allow for marijuana. They wouldn't have to announce it or anything, just quietly stop testing for it.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Please get it right. In dale's world, she would be an attention- seeking whore just looking for a payday.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

NFL offseason 2018

Yes, preseason football often sucks, but the 49ers are going to stream their games for free online. Hopefully other teams will follow.
https://www.49ers.com/news/49ers-to-...reseason-games

Let’s hope this gets expanded to be able to watch every team’s preseason games for free online, regardless if you’re in the local market.

Last edited by dalej42; 06-29-2018 at 06:55 PM.