Old 02-07-2019, 10:05 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Politically hostile work environment, or over-sensitivity?

I work at a mid-sized trucking firm(not the one where the drivers are forced to haul trailers that have "It's a Child, Not a Choice" printed on the back), and I already know better than to talk about my political beliefs here...but for the last few months the vast majority of the trailers we have had two things written in the dirt on the back end: "Democrats Are Communists" and "Build The Wall". It is written in letters large enough to be read easily as you pass them on the road, and there is no way for any employee in the yard not to see it. The trailers get washed occasionally, but as soon as there is enough accumulated dust/dirt the two phrases go right back on. I made a very discrete inquiry as to whether there were any complaints, and was told that The Powers That Be see no harm being done, and that there have been no complaints from either other employees or from the public at large. Am I making too big a deal of this?
Old 02-07-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I work at a mid-sized trucking firm(not the one where the drivers are forced to haul trailers that have "It's a Child, Not a Choice" printed on the back), and I already know better than to talk about my political beliefs here...but for the last few months the vast majority of the trailers we have had two things written in the dirt on the back end: "Democrats Are Communists" and "Build The Wall". It is written in letters large enough to be read easily as you pass them on the road, and there is no way for any employee in the yard not to see it. The trailers get washed occasionally, but as soon as there is enough accumulated dust/dirt the two phrases go right back on. I made a very discrete inquiry as to whether there were any complaints, and was told that The Powers That Be see no harm being done, and that there have been no complaints from either other employees or from the public at large. Am I making too big a deal of this?
I don't think so. I would not drive such a vehicle.

Could you just use a push broom to 'erase' it before taking the truck out. IMHO, it makes the company look very very bad, and I would not do business with them.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:15 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
I don't think so. I would not drive such a vehicle.

Could you just use a push broom to 'erase' it before taking the truck out. IMHO, it makes the company look very very bad, and I would not do business with them.
If I tried to do something like that I would be called on the carpet for going outside my job description, and the drivers hauling the things won't do it because they believe the shit written on the back.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:39 AM

Next to "Democrats are Communists" add: "Republicans are Fascists. Choose."

Alternatively, just have the knowledge about who you're working with. Sometimes just knowing is the best you can do with a situation.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:45 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Next to "Democrats are Communists" add: "Republicans are Fascists. Choose."

Alternatively, just have the knowledge about who you're working with. Sometimes just knowing is the best you can do with a situation.
I'm already aware of the political situation here, and have been for quite a while. I guess I'm supposed to settle for being a "Good Democrat" and pretend that I agree with this partisan shit.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:47 AM

Can you orchestrate some "public complaints?" Or maybe some of the customers might be offended?

Personally, I think it's pretty obnoxious. Not my area of law, but I doubt you have any legal recourse.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:50 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

According to them I am the only one to ever bring it up, so what is there to orchestrate?
Old 02-07-2019, 10:58 AM

Just add "n't" to are and move on with your life.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
According to them I am the only one to ever bring it up, so what is there to orchestrate?
Contact some friends who don't work there and are not associated with you as far as your employers know. Have them send in come complaints about obnoxious political slogans on dirty trucks.

ETA: I'd be happy to send in a complaint myself. Just PM me who to send it to.

Last edited by Procrustus; 02-07-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

If the owners of the company don't care, or endorse the message, you will have to put up with it. Or make a public issue of it and lose, or quit your job in protest.

Or buy your own truck and put whatever you want on it.

Someone is wrong on the Internet the dirt on a truck.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 02-07-2019, 11:05 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Contact some friends who don't work there and are not associated with you as far as your employers know. Have them send in come complaints about obnoxious political slogans on dirty trucks.

ETA: I'd be happy to send in a complaint myself. Just PM me who to send it to.
I'm not one to lie to get what I want.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crybaby Boobie View Post
Just add "n't" to are and move on with your life.
I like this.

You're not being oversensitive, and this strikes me as a really bad thing to do from a public relations standpoint; but I don't know what you can realistically do about it.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
... Am I making too big a deal of this?
Yes.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
... Someone is wrong on the Internet the dirt on a truck.

Regards,
Shodan
I don't even think they're all that wrong, but that's probably a topic for another thread. The point is that people everywhere have to put up with annoying things other people say / write. That's just life.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I'm not one to lie to get what I want.
I get that. In that case, a rare instance where I agree with the Poster who posted #10 above.

You could try again convincing the owners that this is probably bad for business even if no one is complaining. If nothing else, it emphasizes they're driving dirty and dusty trucks.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:13 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
I don't even think they're all that wrong, but that's probably a topic for another thread. The point is that people everywhere have to put up with annoying things other people say / write. That's just life.
Do you think it is possible for a work environment to be too politically toxic?
Old 02-07-2019, 11:16 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I get that. In that case, a rare instance where I agree with the Poster who posted #10 above.

You could try again convincing the owners that this is probably bad for business even if no one is complaining. If nothing else, it emphasizes they're driving dirty and dusty trucks.
It is winter in Oregon-Everybody's trucks are dirty and/or dusty to some degree.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:19 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Man, I'm a Democrat and I'd be super uncomfortable if the company I worked for allowed something like "Republicans lie" on their public-facing property. Heck I'd be uncomfortable if someone posted it on the corkboard in the break room, even.

I guess if you've reported it and no one cares, it is what it is
Old 02-07-2019, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Are the slogans coming from the employees, or random members of the public? Is this known?

If you'd get in trouble for cleaning off all of the dirt, because it goes outside of your duties, then the drivers should also get in trouble for cleaning off some of the dirt.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
"too politically toxic" for what? for legal recourse? No, probably not (although IANAL). For me to work there? Abso-frickin-lutely!
Old 02-07-2019, 11:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Man, I'm a Democrat and I'd be super uncomfortable if the company I worked for allowed something like "Republicans lie" on their public-facing property. Heck I'd be uncomfortable if someone posted it on the corkboard in the break room, even.

I guess if you've reported it and no one cares, it is what it is
I guess you're right...but it doesn't make it easier to work in this environment, where the official policy is "Do No Bring Up Politics In The Workplace", but the unofficial policy is "No Politics Other Than Ours".
Old 02-07-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I guess you're right...but it doesn't make it easier to work in this environment...
There is a remedy to this, available to you.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Yes, but you aren't in such. Is the graffiti targeted at you? Are you being singled out or abused in any way? No? Then I guess this is only about you because you want it to be about you. If crap written in the dirt on the backs of trucks that you don't even drive distresses you this much, then find a new job.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Can you point out the real danger of potential road rage incidents? Surely the company doesn’t want you on workers compensation because of an argument about politics.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Can you point out the real danger of potential road rage incidents? Surely the company doesn’t want you on workers compensation because of an argument about politics.
You're not suggesting some Democrats might resort to violence over political speech they disagree with, are you? Perish the thought!
Old 02-07-2019, 11:29 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
"too politically toxic" for what? for legal recourse? No, probably not (although IANAL). For me to work there? Abso-frickin-lutely!
Previously you said
Quote:
Which certainly sounded like I should just shut up about it. How bad would it have to be for you to say "I can't just suck it up any more-I'm leaving"?
Old 02-07-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
You're not suggesting some Democrats might resort to violence over political speech they disagree with, are you? Perish the thought!
More likely they just flip off he driver, and being a right winger, he reacts violently.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Previously you said Which certainly sounded like I should just shut up about it. How bad would it have to be for you to say "I can't just suck it up any more-I'm leaving"?
Significantly more severe than "Build the wall" scribbled in some dust.

For example, if my company owner decided that we're going to go all-in to support Kamala Harris in 2020, and my job then required me to spend 4 hours each day fulfilling my regular duties and 4 hours each day phone-banking for Harris, I'd quit.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
There is a remedy to this, available to you.
Are you hiring? I am 62 years old with a family to support, so it's a little late in the game to start at the bottom rung wage-wise. Have you got any practical solutions?
Old 02-07-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
More likely they just flip off he driver, and being a right winger, he reacts violently.
Semi drivers get flipped off all the time, almost never over the political slogans scrawled in their dust on their trailers. If the truck driver is going to react violently to getting flipped off, he's probably not truck-driver material, regardless of his political inclinations.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:37 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Significantly more severe than "Build the wall" scribbled in some dust.

For example, if my company owner decided that we're going to go all-in to support Kamala Harris in 2020, and my job then required me to spend 4 hours each day fulfilling my regular duties and 4 hours each day phone-banking for Harris, I'd quit.
1. Did you forget the other message-"Democrats are Communists", or was it a deliberate downplaying of the situation?
2. Yeah, it would be wrong for your company to make you work for a political party...and I'm pretty sure it would also be illegal. It's nice to know that your bar is set at "I would leave if my company made me do something that would never happen in real life"
Old 02-07-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Are you hiring? ...
Me? No, I'm not a job creator ().

Quote:
... Have you got any practical solutions?
The simplest solution, and the one likely to cause the least disruption in your and your family's life, is basically suck it up and don't let such a trivial thing concern you so much. People have different political views than you. They will sometimes express those. It doesn't have to be a big deal.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 02-07-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

You can't organize such a thing here, but they seem ripe for some good old fashioned social media trolling. Trash their yelp reviews, leave bad reviews on their Google page, get your friends and family to join in the fun!
Old 02-07-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
1. Did you forget the other message-"Democrats are Communists", or was it a deliberate downplaying of the situation? ...
It's hard to downplay such a trivial situation further, but I suppose you would see it that way.

Quote:
...2. Yeah, it would be wrong for your company to make you work for a political party...and I'm pretty sure it would also be illegal. It's nice to know that your bar is set at "I would leave if my company made me do something that would never happen in real life"
Again, IANAL, but how is that illegal? I'm in an at-will employment state. If my employer decides he wants us donating our time to a political campaign ... what's illegal about that? If I worked at an advertising company, and the Harris 2020 campaign hired us to cut some commercials for them, and I got put on the project, would that be illegal?

FWIW, that was offered as one example, but certainly not the only situation, that would cause me to quit my job. The point I was trying to get across to you is that it would have to be a whole lot more significant for me to care enough to quit, or really do much of anything about it.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 02-07-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Are you hiring? I am 62 years old with a family to support, so it's a little late in the game to start at the bottom rung wage-wise. Have you got any practical solutions?
Deal with it or quit. These are both practical solutions. Or are you looking for help on forcing the company to handle The Dirt Scribble Issue the way you want it handled? Let's get some basic info first:
1. How are the scribbles harming you?
2. What would make you whole?
Old 02-07-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
You can't organize such a thing here, but they seem ripe for some good old fashioned social media trolling. Trash their yelp reviews, leave bad reviews on their Google page, get your friends and family to join in the fun!
Yelp reviews for a trucking company?
Old 02-07-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I'm already aware of the political situation here, and have been for quite a while. I guess I'm supposed to settle for being a "Good Democrat" and pretend that I agree with this partisan shit.
I seem to recall that you started a thread some time ago about your work being a political quagmire? Sorry that things haven't improved for you.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Sweet idea! Then when the company is damaged enough to lay people off or even close up shop, he can job hunt proudly knowing he is unemployed for Great Justice! What is the company? I will start trashing them today!
Old 02-07-2019, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yelp reviews for a trucking company?

https://www.yelp.com/biz/all-america...inc-burlingame

https://www.yelp.com/biz/patriot-aut...-los-angeles-2

https://www.yelp.com/biz/all-freight-trucking-riverside

https://www.yelp.com/biz/nationwide-...rt-los-angeles
Old 02-07-2019, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Sweet idea! Then when the company is damaged enough to lay people off or even close up shop, he can job hunt proudly knowing he is unemployed for Great Justice! What is the company? I will start trashing them today!
That's right! Because the owner will proudly go bankrupt because he has a right to be an ass to over half the country and will make zero changes to his behavior, even if faced with financial ruin. Why, he can be the next Kim Davis! AMERICA!

Last edited by JohnT; 02-07-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:52 AM

Well lookey-there. I learned something new today. I would not have thought to check Yelp to gauge the quality of trucking services.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:55 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I seem to recall that you started a thread some time ago about your work being a political quagmire? Sorry that things haven't improved for you.
No, they have gotten a bit worse.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:55 AM

Democrat here, but I say......deal with it and be the better person. Their trucks, their message. Seriously, who gives a shit about bumper stickers? Its not like you're changing hearts and minds with this. I don't think it's smart business on their part, but it is what it is.

As long as no one is berating you personally, it's business as usual. But if they start giving you grief about your own beliefs, then its a hostile environment and time to get a lawyer.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 02-07-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
That's right! Because the owner will proudly go bankrupt because he has a right to be an ass to over half the country and will make zero changes to his behavior, even if faced with financial ruin. Why, he can be the next Kim Davis! AMERICA!
It is gospel at this board that Trump supporters will engage in the most self-destructive and irrational behaviors because racism/sexism/bigotry/etc. So, it would appear that despite your sarcasm, you are either right or The Board is wrong.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:59 AM

You'd think management would see the bad implications of letting stuff like this go. Allowing employees to adorn company vehicles with their own provocative, political opinions helps the company how?

Hopefully MAGA Bomber 2.0 doesn't work there.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:59 AM

What do you think the real world impact of these messages will be in Oregon? The urban areas of Oregon determine the political direction of the state. Can you envision the leadership in the state ever going Republican? I can't. How about the state electoral college votes going to the GOP candidate? Not in our lifetimes.

I think you are being a tad too sensitive. I also think that your co-workers probably understand your personal politics better than you think and it is possible that someone is just yanking your chain for laughs.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
It is gospel at this board that Trump supporters will engage in the most self-destructive and irrational behaviors because racism/sexism/bigotry/etc. So, it would appear that despite your sarcasm, you are either right or The Board is wrong.
Got it-You see no problem here because it doesn't conflict with your own beliefs, whereas I would see it as a problem even if the harassment was towards those I disagreed with politically.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post
I think you are being a tad too sensitive. I also think that your co-workers probably understand your personal politics better than you think and it is possible that someone is just yanking your chain for laughs.
Why would you think that? I do not discuss politics at work at all. Do you actually think this whole campaign of putting those two phrases on the backs of the trailers for a period of months now was done to yank the chain of one employee?

Last edited by Czarcasm; 02-07-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

It looks like a tough situation, and I feel for you. However, it seems like the real issue is that the company's owners are happy to spread this message. Unless you feel secure and comfortable enough to go toe-to-toe with them, I can't think of any way of approaching this that leaves you on top in the end.

I'm more worried that your expression of your objection to these views in this environment would put you in jeopardy of some kind, whether financial or otherwise.

It sucks to work for assholes.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by you with the face View Post
You'd think management would see the bad implications of letting stuff like this go. Allowing employees to adorn company vehicles with their own provocative, political opinions helps the company how?

Hopefully MAGA Bomber 2.0 doesn't work there.
Wait a minute. Is it owners putting these on or employees??

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca