Old 02-12-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
10 of 50 looks like a “minority of jurisdictions” to me. You want to quibble with that?
No, I won't quibble with that. And I will correct myself: there are just 8 states that state that the left lane is solely for passing, at least according to this link.

But, also according to the above source, 49 states have laws on the books that state if you're going slower than other traffic, it's incumbent upon you to move over to the right lane.

So when you originally stated, in post #63, that "the left lane is fair game for just driving and not passing.", I contend that that's not entirely correct. If I'm driving on a 4-lane (2 lanes each direction) interstate, and I"m in the left lane driving the speed limit, and you come up behind me, driving faster than I am, I am required to move to the right lane and allow you to pass. Would you agree?

Again, I'll retract my original statement about the left lane being for passing only. That's the law in just 8 states. I stand corrected.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:51 AM

I think the biggest rule, more so than even "don't be a jerk", is "be sure you're not the person you're complaining about". You might be doing stupid shit right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleMalt View Post
The "Zipper Merge". Learn it. Love it. Use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
No one knows how to do this so you get one long lane of cautious and yet responsible people and a fast lane for pricks who are more important than everyone else.
Bolding mine.

Sitnam, learn it, love it. They're not "pricks", they're merging properly.

I was pulling my camping trailer through OK last year, and turned left from a two lane road onto a four lane road. I turned so that I could be in the right lane, as is proper. But a mile (!) ahead, just past the traffic light, the right lane closed. But ALL the people were already in the left lane. WTF were they thinking? I had the whole lane to myself all the way to the traffic light.

Naturally, some of the fine people, assuring themselves no doubt that they were excellent drivers, thought I was a prick. Two even tried to block me! What did they expect me to do? Were they going to let me and my trailer in? So I just drove on to the light, merged normally, and went on my way. I think I was out of OK before some of those folks ever made it through the light. As far as I was concerned, THEY were the "pricks".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Gusterson View Post
You are driving a giant SUV, Ram "tough" pickup truck, or similar small-penis compensator (which is carrying nothing more than your fat ass).
Maybe I have a giant SUV because it's the only vehicle my massive penis fits in? Hmm? Anyway, can you please provide a list of cars that are acceptable for people with normal genitalia? I wouldn't want to be accused of overcompensating and making you upset. KTHX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
The answer depends on your jurisdiction. Here in Maine, for example, we have a state-wide law that mandates staying in the right-most lane except to overtake slower vehicles, and that law applies only on highways with a speed limit of 65 miles per hour or more, no matter how many lanes there are.
Bolding mine. If this is the law, then what is the purpose of the extra lanes? Can you imagine a 6-lane LA freeway with everyone in the right lane? If traffic can take that, then why have more than two lanes? Because it can't.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Knowing that Ohio is not one of those 50 states, based on my knowledge of Ohio driving laws, I don't think that is right.
Sigh. Assholes from Ohio need to leave their laws are home when they come north, and observe our laws. Still, doesn't Ohio law specify that you must observe signs? I see signs on I-90 all the time telling people to get the heck out of the way ("either keep right except to pass," or "slower traffic keep right.).
Old 02-12-2019, 12:23 PM

When you're pulling out of a parking lot with the intent to turn left, stay toward the center of the driveway so people can get past you to pull out and turn right.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:46 PM

Don't expect that other drivers will know the right of way.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing Idaho Banks View Post
Don't expect me to speed up just because you are honking or flashing your lights at me.
In Ohio, at least, I do expect you to get out of my way.

Quote:
Except when overtaking
and passing on the right is permitted, the
operator of an overtaken vehicle shall give way
to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle on
audible signal.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
In Ohio, at least, I do expect you to get out of my way.
Don't forget, I'm slow.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Don't expect me to speed up just because you are honking or flashing your lights at me.
If I flash my lights at you, it means 'please move from the far left lane to the next one to your right, which has room for you, and is moving at the same speed as you, and perhaps you are not aware of the vehicles behind you that would like to pass'.

You don't have to move, but then I will pass on your right when I get an opening. And there probably won't be as much clearance as you would like when I return to the far left lane.

It's nothing personal.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Don't forget, I'm slow.
That's fine, so long as you are not illegally interfering with the flow of traffic.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:11 PM

The car pool/toll lane

-Don't get into it if you're not a car pool or paying the toll
-Don't get into it if you won't drive the speed limit. Yes, the people in the next lane over are only doing 15 mph, but that's the point. If you use this lane, you get to drive 65. If that's too scary, get the fuck out of the lane.

Around here we also get racers on the freeway. Fuck these assholes. Go race on country roads instead of weaving in and out of commute traffic on a multi-lane interstate.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post

Bolding mine. If this is the law, then what is the purpose of the extra lanes? Can you imagine a 6-lane LA freeway with everyone in the right lane? If traffic can take that, then why have more than two lanes? Because it can't.
In California all lanes on a freeway are independent travel lanes. In the Bay Area I observed that middle lanes typically moved faster than the left lanes during rush hour.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
And as a matter of courtesy, if you're driving thru a parking lot and it's raining, it'd be really decent of you to allow pedestrians to get to their cars or the store without making them wait in the rain for your lazy, dry ass to mosey by.
True. On the other hand, if you are a pedestrian jaywalking across a busy street, get your face out of your phone to see if someone is about to mow you down, and move your butt.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
The purpose of the other lanes is spelled out in the law: overtaking slower vehicles. The center lane is for overtaking the right lane, and the left lane is for overtaking the center lane. It's essentially the same rule as the German Autobahns.

Keep in mind for the sake of perspective, the entire state of Maine has only about one-fourth the population of Los Angeles, and 70 times the land area. The kind of traffic that exists out there is non-existent here. There is only one highway in the state with more than two lanes in each direction, and that would be about 40 miles of the Maine Turnpike (Interstate 95) from the New Hampshire line to the I-295 interchange in South Portland. The vast majority of the state is two-lane, undivided rural roads. The nearest traffic signal is eight miles away from my house, and the weather affects travel times much more than the amount of traffic on the roads.

So yes, it can work, you just have to have roads that aren't filled to capacity all the time.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
The car pool/toll lane

-Don't get into it if you're not a car pool or paying the toll
-Don't get into it if you won't drive the speed limit. Yes, the people in the next lane over are only doing 15 mph, but that's the point. If you use this lane, you get to drive 65. If that's too scary, get the fuck out of the lane.
The one thing on that is that I have occasionally been in a carpool lane (not locally, but on trips), and have had cars suddenly pull from that 15mph lane into the high occupancy lane. I can see where someone would be a bit timid about passing cars at such a high relative speed.
Quote:
Around here we also get racers on the freeway. Fuck these assholes.
Agreed
Quote:
Go race on country roads instead of weaving in and out of commute traffic on a multi-lane interstate.
No, just no. Find a closed course, please.

Last edited by k9bfriender; 02-12-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:17 PM

Just as the red light...

....directs you to stop, the green light directs you to GO! Don't just sit there! It's not going to change to another, prettier color. Go, dammit! GOOOOOO!!!!!
Old 02-12-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Plissken View Post
....directs you to stop, the green light directs you to GO! Don't just sit there! It's not going to change to another, prettier color. Go, dammit! GOOOOOO!!!!!
If the intersection is clear and safe to proceed.

I have had many times when cross traffic was full of assholes who block the intersection.

I have also had many times when the light turns green, the person behind me honks, and then the semi blows through in front of me.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Don't get a blowjob while trying to drive. I know it's supposed to be this super hot thing to do but in reality it's horrible any way you look at it. For one, how can you truly enjoy a bj if you have to devote your awareness and concentration to driving? Conversely, how can you drive safely if you are distracted by getting a blowjob at the same time? In theory it might sound appealing but in reality it sucks (lame pun actually intended).
Ever read "The World According To Garp" by John Irving? Oral sex can have dire consequences I for one had not thought about before reading a certain scene. Ouch! I still remember reading the book with great pleasure and warmly recommend it.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
The one thing on that is that I have occasionally been in a carpool lane (not locally, but on trips), and have had cars suddenly pull from that 15mph lane into the high occupancy lane. I can see where someone would be a bit timid about passing cars at such a high relative speed.
I understand that, but if drivers are willing to manage this, then they don't belong in the lane.

Quote:
No, just no. Find a closed course, please.
That's fair. Do your street racing off the interstate, ideally on a course. Also, they should stop doing freakin' doughnuts everywhere. No one cares about your neat-o moves.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:56 PM

The issue I discussed with the drivers bulling their way in was indeed people using and busing a turn lane. This is a problem because the full lane isn't expecting to have people suddenly shove in at the last moment, and the people trying to turn get stuck behind idiots who fucking stop and plead for somebody to let them in, due to their own poor planning. The issue got so bad at one intersection that the traffic department finally put up physical barriers, as drivers would take the turn lane, go down, and then try to merge mid-intersection. And I'm pretty sure they had to replace several barriers and some drooling morons drove over them.

Another, somewhat related oboxious habit is people who don't damn well pull forward. You're supposed to leave space between cars, yes, but not entire car-lengths! It's been a particular problem for me as the Legion of Obliviousness don't notice people trying to get them to move forward three feet so the next few cars can turn and get out of the way. This is a simple thing, but apparently too many people can't quite wrap their heads around it.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
When you're pulling out of a parking lot with the intent to turn left, stay toward the center of the driveway so people can get past you to pull out and turn right.
My neighborhood has many smaller one way streets that are technically one lane with parking lanes on both sides, but are wide enough at the intersections for two cars. More often that not, if I am following another car and approaching an intersection, once the car ahead of me is past the parking lanes the driver will pull over to the right side and signal to turn left, meaning that if I want to turn right I have to wait for them to have an opening in the cross traffic going in both directions before they clear the way. I am always tempted to pull up beside them on the left and signal my right turn but so far I've just sat behind them and muttered to myself...
Old 02-12-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardel-Lux View Post
Ever read "The World According To Garp" by John Irving? Oral sex can have dire consequences I for one had not thought about before reading a certain scene. Ouch! I still remember reading the book with great pleasure and warmly recommend it.
I was so angry when I rented the DVD and discovered they’d removed the phrase “...in a Buick” from the Lithgow character’s line.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:16 AM

If there's a turning lane, USE IT. There's a major busy street near me with a turning lane. I don't know how many times I've been stuck behind someone who's trying to turn left from the thru lane. That's when I use my horn, but the oblivious driver doesn't get it.

And if you're turning left at a light, in most states, you should pull into the intersection and wait for a break in the oncoming traffic, or for the light to change. You won't be in anyone's way.

And if you're on a side street and you need to show down or pull over for any reason, use your signal. The driver behind you isn't a mind reader, and has no idea why you're slowing down or pulling over.

And if you're turning right on red, but the car in front of you is going straight, it's not ok to lay on your horn just because you don't feel like waiting. A teenager did that to me, and I just sat there waiting for the light to change. He impatiently drove over the curb and through a field, causing one of his tires to go flat. Instant karma.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:07 AM

When you are turning left at an intersection, stop behind the wide white line. Do not stop a car length in front of that line.

Yes, it is set back from the intersection, and you are saving precious seconds by having already crossed those few feet, but it is set back so that people turning left from your right can turn into the lane next to you. When you are up that far, instead, they have to go past your car before they then can swing way out to make the turn.

And, not only does it slow down the traffic trying to turn left, but it slows you down as well. Are you sitting on the sensor that turns the light? No, you are 15 feet in front of it. You will sit there until someone else pulls up behind you and triggers the light.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
My pet peeve is people who DO use their turn signals, but turn them on way too damn early. They're obviously thinking "Hey, there's my turn up there two blocks ahead, I'd better start signalling!" In the meantime, someone only one block ahead might see that they are signalling to turn (right) and pull out in front of them. DON'T SIGNAL until it's close to where you are going to turn.
Yeah, the ideal use of turn signals, which any low-grade nitwit could master (thus being largely out of reach of many of the drivers I observe) is to turn them on as early as possible once you have passed any other exits/turns that might confuse people. The moment you pass the point that might cause other drivers to misunderstand, like the last driveway before your intended right turn, turn on your signal. You know exactly where that point is and where those potentially-confusable drivers are because you are paying some damned attention to your driving.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
And if you're turning left at a light, in most states, you should pull into the intersection and wait for a break in the oncoming traffic, or for the light to change. You won't be in anyone's way.
In most cases, you should not do this. Generally, it is against the traffic code to pull into an intersection to turn across oncoming traffic, and if the light is changing you are not supposed to begin a turn. If you can see a break in the traffic coming, it's fine.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
In most cases, you should not do this. Generally, it is against the traffic code to pull into an intersection to turn across oncoming traffic, and if the light is changing you are not supposed to begin a turn. If you can see a break in the traffic coming, it's fine.
If you *don't* pull into an intersection during a green light to wait to turn left in Chicago other drivers will wonder what the hell is wrong with you. And maybe honk. Most likely swear at you too. We actually have left turn arrows at some intersections that are red when you are not supposed to do this.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:09 PM

I think it comes into play when traffic volume is at a certain level such as in big cities especially during commuting hours. If there is no left turn arrow, and you don't enter the intersection during green to begin the turn, you may sit there forever because there may never be a break in traffic coming the other way, or at least for a very long time. Sometimes the only way for a car or two to sneak through going left is when the light is changing.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
If you cannot complete your turn once traffic is clear, that is correct. However, controlling the intersection is certainly legal in Ohio, and I am sure quite a number of states.

A quick googling comes up with several driver's ed websites for several states that specifically say to do so. For instance

Quote:
Being in Control of the Intersection
Left Turns at Intersections
Vehicles that legally enter a signalized intersection have the right to be there until they can safely clear the intersection. This is commonly referred to as being "in control of the intersection." This means if you are making a left turn at an intersection that has a solid green light for the turn lane and you are in the intersection before the light turns red, you are still required to yield to approaching vehicles, but you are allowed to make the turn in safety after the light turns red. You do not have to be out of the intersection before the light turns red.
As this is pretty much the exact opposite of what you said, can you find anything that supports what you said?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
I think it comes into play when traffic volume is at a certain level such as in big cities especially during commuting hours. If there is no left turn arrow, and you don't enter the intersection during green to begin the turn, you may sit there forever because there may never be a break in traffic coming the other way, or at least for a very long time. Sometimes the only way for a car or two to sneak through going left is when the light is changing.
Or from following the law.

Last edited by k9bfriender; 02-13-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:23 PM

nm

Last edited by Airbeck; 02-13-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
Yep for sure. Also - you need to pull up as far as you can to see properly and take opportunity of a break in traffic.