Old 06-01-2018, 08:39 PM

My conspiracy theory is that the Chinese manipulated the Russians into manipulating the 2016 election. They seem like the big winners of the Trump presidency.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Looks as though someone might be doing just that:

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/06/0...hnology-found/
Oh, it's just foreign intelligence services. You had me scared for a minute, I thought it might be Democrats!
Old 06-02-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
All of this concern about cell-spying devices assumes he's not deliberately giving Putin classified info. I'm not convinced he's actually working as an agent, witting or unwitting, but I'm not convinced he's not, either.
I would not be one particle surprised if evidence emerged that Trump is deliberately giving classified information to Putin---presumably both for cash and to avoid having Putin-held compromat released. Carrot and stick.

But even if Trump is consciously giving Putin stuff, that doesn't mean that Trump isn't also unconsciously giving lots of other people-and-nations even more stuff. Among all those listening in to Trump's unsecured-phone communications, there will be some who will be profiting (from advance knowledge that will enable lucrative stock-market activity, for example). There will be some selling the information to others (in the case of info on defense-department actions, etc.) And there will be some filing the information away for future use.

In all this, what I can't understand is how Trump voters can continue to genuinely believe that Hillary endangered the nation by having a server---when no evidence has ever emerged that it was compromised---while remaining indifferent to the fact that Trump is the leakiest sieve ever to set foot in Washington.

Thread on my books (inexpensive gifts!) https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=866609
Old 06-02-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
...In all this, what I can't understand is how Trump voters can continue to genuinely believe that Hillary endangered the nation by having a server---when no evidence has ever emerged that it was compromised---while remaining indifferent to the fact that Trump is the leakiest sieve ever to set foot in Washington.
The regular Republicans don't give a fuck what thump does as long as he gets people to vote Republican. And the Pubs in Congress KNEW that Hillary's server posed NO threat to the nation's security.

The deplorables are too stoopid to understand any of this.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
In all this, what I can't understand is how Trump voters can continue to genuinely believe that Hillary endangered the nation by having a server---when no evidence has ever emerged that it was compromised---while remaining indifferent to the fact that Trump is the leakiest sieve ever to set foot in Washington.
Their opinions are not fact-based is how.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:53 PM

Great news, folks.

The White House lawyers have declared that Trump can't "obstruct" justice and that he can basically end any criminal justice investigation whenever the hell he wants, for any reason.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0d5e89e2020e3

Did anyone expect anything different?
Old 06-02-2018, 08:00 PM

They are literally arguing that the president is above the law. That’s not the subtext of their argument, but their actual argument.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
They are literally arguing that the president is above the law. That’s not the subtext of their argument, but their actual argument.
They always believed this. Trump believed this the moment he fired James Comey, and he obviously believed it well before then. He believed it when he tried to gaslight America on inauguration day when telling outrageous lies about the size of the crowds. If truth is the cornerstone of American jurisprudence, then what does it say when the single most powerful individual in the Constitution governs on a foundation of lies???? Maybe the cornerstone of American jurisprudence is crumbling, and with it, the country itself.

My point all along has been that Mueller's investigation, the Department of Justice, and the Constitution itself don't mean shit. They're not going to stop an authoritarian regime that was democratically elected -- laws cannot stop such a beast, for the simple reason that this Leviathan gets its power from the people who created it. It's the people who have to destroy this monster, and if they are indifferent, and if they are naively fooled into believing that their little good luck charm of a president is the reason that unemployment is at a 40-year low, then we - are - fucked.

Full stop.

Do you all now see what I'm saying?

Last edited by asahi; 06-02-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Of course they’re SAYING that. They can say whatever they damn well please, and given who their client is, it’s not surprising. He and his cronies have SAID a lot.

In this particular case, I’m saving my outrage for when he actually tries it.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
Of course theyre SAYING that. They can say whatever they damn well please, and given who their client is, its not surprising. He and his cronies have SAID a lot.

In this particular case, Im saving my outrage for when he actually tries it.
It's going to happen.

What about Jim Comey's firing left any doubt in your mind that this would happen? What about Andrew McCabe's firing left any doubt that this would happen?
What about the pardoning of Joe Arpaio and other right wing allies leaves any doubt that this would happen?

Time to take the blinders off. We're witnessing the collapse of American democracy. You've got ringside seats.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
New Filing: Feds to get 1,025,000 pieces of evidence tomorrow, all resulting from the April Cohen raid.

https://twitter.com/AriMelber/status...483820033?s=19
Oh, God damn it, now we have another addition to the dramatis personae? Okay, who the fuck is April Cohen, when was she raided, who raided her, and how is she supposed to be involved in all this?

Wikipedia is being singularly unhelpful about these developments...

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 06-02-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
It's going to happen.

What about Jim Comey's firing left any doubt in your mind that this would happen? What about Andrew McCabe's firing left any doubt that this would happen?
What about the pardoning of Joe Arpaio and other right wing allies leaves any doubt that this would happen?

Time to take the blinders off. We're witnessing the collapse of American democracy. You've got ringside seats.
So you’re arguing that by his popularity and such, Trump already has fascist power? Because if the law is irrelevant, and the legal system tries to stop him from, say, ending the investigation, then no legal mechanism is going to allow him to do that, so he’d have to send in the FBI or CIA, both of which he’s already attacked heavily, to actually arrest Mueller and judges and any Congressperson who tries to stop him.

If so, I’m gonna start aiding and abetting Trump right now to stay alive. Where did you say you lived again, asahi?

Last edited by Leaper; 06-02-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:15 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Oh, God damn it, now we have another addition to the dramatis personae? Okay, who the fuck is April Cohen, when was she raided, who raided her, and how is she supposed to be involved in all this?

Wikipedia is being singularly unhelpful about these developments...
In other words, the raid on Cohen in April.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
In other words, the raid on Cohen in April.
I think he was joking...?
Old 06-02-2018, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Of course, nobody should try to actually hack into his accounts. I would imagine that if you succeeded, you would be caught and prosecuted. You might even be caught if you try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
I look forward to seeing Putin locked up in Leavenworth for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
He probably already has a pardon for his buddy Vlad all filled out and ready to sign.
Pfeh. It's probably already been signed and delivered to Putin via diplomatic pouch. All Vlad needs to do is fill in the date.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
If you want to get pedantic, and the defenders will, it is legal for the President to declassify anything. The Secretary of State doesn't have that authority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
Actually, while the President is vested with classification authority, the President can delegate that authority. Executive Order 13526, signed by Obama in 2009, delegates this authority to agency heads (like the Secretary of State).
Quote:
ec. 1.3. Classification Authority.
(a) The authority to classify information
originally may be exercised only by:
(1) the President and the Vice President;
(2) agency heads and officials designated by the President; and
(3) United States Government officials delegated this authority pursuant to paragraph (c) of this section.
Anything in there to suggest a requirement that such delegatees be prepared to show evidence that they have been duly empowered to wield such delegated authority?
Old 06-02-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
So youre arguing that by his popularity and such, Trump already has fascist power? Because if the law is irrelevant, and the legal system tries to stop him from, say, ending the investigation, then no legal mechanism is going to allow him to do that, so hed have to send in the FBI or CIA, both of which hes already attacked heavily, to actually arrest Mueller and judges and any Congressperson who tries to stop him.

If so, Im gonna start aiding and abetting Trump right now to stay alive. Where did you say you lived again, asahi?
One of the greatest misconceptions and reasons for our false sense of security is the assumption that if authoritarianism were to replace American democracy, we would recognize the danger. We assume that the danger would be clear and compelling, obvious and immediate. And we assume further that we would recognize that we as a society have gone too far, lowered our standards too much, and would come to our senses and vote to restore our norms. That's not how it works.

Democracy dies slowly. Over a long period of time. Think of the World Trade Towers on 9/11. It sustained an obvious assault, but initially it remained standing and appeared to have withstood the damage. But what people couldn't see was that the metal frame that supported the mega-structure was melting away. And then...it collapsed. It's not what you see; it's what you don't see that will destroy American democracy.

You will see.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps View Post
ISTM that the actual picture is a bit more complex - and simultaneously also a bit simpler, oddly - than this.

I highly doubt if Trump could articulate exactly what it is that HRC did which endangered national security.
If we're being candid, I highly doubt that you could...

Quote:
I think he has some very vague idea that it had to do with emails and a server, but that's probably about it. (At least on a regular basis - it's possible that he's seen a Fox show on the subject within the last half hour that he might be able to add a bit more detail.) So he's consistently concerned about national security in the sense that he genuinely believes his foggy notion that HRC did VERY BAD stuff which ENDANGERED NATIONAL SECURITY.
You're giving him far too much credit for being concerned about the interests of the United States of America. It's way more plausible to just assume that he sees it as red meat that he can throw to his base as applause lines, and let it go at that.

Quote:
By contrast, his own actions seem benign to him, and don't seem to be endangering national security as far as he can tell, and who would know better?
See above.

Quote:
Of course, all the above just relates to the extent to which Trump is a hypocrite. For everyone else it's kind of moot, because no one should be basing their opinion on what is or isn't a national security concern on anything Trump thinks, obviously.
o_o

>_<

o_0

You just said something that I can't disagree with in the slightest particular. Moriarty was right; you are turning a corner...

So...welcome to the dark side; have a cookie?
Old 06-02-2018, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
One of the greatest misconceptions and reasons for our false sense of security is the assumption that if authoritarianism were to replace American democracy, we would recognize the danger. We assume that the danger would be clear and compelling, obvious and immediate. And we assume further that we would recognize that we as a society have gone too far, lowered our standards too much, and would come to our senses and vote to restore our norms. That's not how it works.

Democracy dies slowly. Over a long period of time. Think of the World Trade Towers on 9/11. It sustained an obvious assault, but initially it remained standing and appeared to have withstood the damage. But what people couldn't see was that the metal frame that supported the mega-structure was melting away. And then...it collapsed. It's not what you see; it's what you don't see that will destroy American democracy.

You will see.
So youve said. I dont see how youve come even within shouting distance of what I was actually asking, though. Youll have to connect A to B for me; Im dumb.

Still sounds like the best thing to do is flee the country or become a collaborator. Which are you preparing to do?
Old 06-02-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
So you’ve said. I don’t see how you’ve come even within shouting distance of what I was actually asking, though. You’ll have to connect A to B for me; I’m dumb.

Still sounds like the best thing to do is flee the country or become a collaborator. Which are you preparing to do?
Neither.

Refuse to be controlled by power you don't consent to being ruled by. Refuse to obey. Accept that the cost of defying authority can be high. Be willing to pay that price - no matter what.

Last edited by asahi; 06-02-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Ah, so you’re a prepper. Got it.

I ask seriously, how have your beliefs changed the way you live your life or plan for the future, besides condescending to anonymous strangers on message boards? If a beloved twelve year old in your family came up to you and asked what he should do when he grows up, what do you tell him/her?
Old 06-02-2018, 09:24 PM

How is Trump going to continue to claim that Obama illegally spied on him in the context of his new argument that a president can do whatever he wants with investigations?
Old 06-02-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Ah, so youre a prepper. Got it.

I ask seriously, how have your beliefs changed the way you live your life or plan for the future, besides condescending to anonymous strangers on message boards? If a beloved twelve year old in your family came up to you and asked what he should do when he grows up, what do you tell him/her?
Nope.

People who participated in the color and peaceful revolutions across Europe weren't "preppers"; they were people who simply decided they'd had enough and weren't going to be told what to do anymore. It's ironic that your average East German in 1989, living under strict, communist authoritarian rule, had a better understanding of how to stand up to tyranny and gain freedom than the average American, living in one of the oldest living democracies on the planet.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
How is Trump going to continue to claim that Obama illegally spied on him in the context of his new argument that a president can do whatever he wants with investigations?
Ask yourself, "What is wrong with my question?"

Answer: it calls upon logic.

And it also uses a grown-up scawwy word, context.

There are no answers to such undeserving questions.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Nope.

People who participated in the color and peaceful revolutions across Europe weren't "preppers"; they were people who simply decided they'd had enough and weren't going to be told what to do anymore. It's ironic that your average East German in 1989, living under strict, communist authoritarian rule, had a better understanding of how to stand up to tyranny and gain freedom than the average American, living in one of the oldest living democracies on the planet.
Then take up arms and start the revolution. Put up or shut the fuck up already.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:

You will see.
Firings can't melt steel beams.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Then take up arms and start the revolution. Put up or shut the fuck up already.
My son, you're completely oblivious. No arms are required.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

But if, as you say, there is no rule of law anymore, they’d help. A lot.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:25 AM

How long is your ammo going to last?
Old 06-03-2018, 05:37 AM

Not to distract from the dick-waving contest above, but Rudy Giuliani has threatened to take Robert Mueller to court if he subpoenas Trump.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...ubpoenas-trump

Last edited by Superdude; 06-03-2018 at 05:37 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
But if, as you say, there is no rule of law anymore, theyd help. A lot.
Arms are not required. Insurrection is not required. People just need to get smart, exercise their civic duty, and vote rather than sitting out midterms like they always do. That would be a good place to start. That is all that is required. But I doubt that's going to happen. We seem content with corruption and tyranny. Democracy and liberty are more than just rights; they are values, which is why all of the gun nuts who talk about how the 2nd amendment is going to save them from a big government autocrat are foolish.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Not to distract from the dick-waving contest above,
There's no contest - I'm huge.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Arms are not required. Insurrection is not required. People just need to get smart, exercise their civic duty, and vote rather than sitting out midterms like they always do. That would be a good place to start. That is all that is required. But I doubt that's going to happen. We seem content with corruption and tyranny. Democracy and liberty are more than just rights; they are values, which is why all of the gun nuts who talk about how the 2nd amendment is going to save them from a big government autocrat are foolish.
You keep saying stuff like, "the people need to vote and end this," which is exactly what is being preached by every politically aware left-leaning individual, and quite a few rational right-leaning individuals as well, in the face of your incessant cries of how it's all useless. So, Happy L is right, we've heard you. We know what you believe the solution is. A great many of us agree with you. So why the hell do you have to mitigate the whole thing by then saying, "eh never mind, we're screwed either way."

In conclusion: do you think you can you take the Debbie Downer act and fuck off with it? I don't know if you think you're helping, but you're not.

Last edited by Jack Batty; 06-03-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

To which Mueller replied in an official press conference, "Oh please, Br'er Rudy, don't throw me into that briar patch!".

As to the general public's understanding of the Clinton e-mails thing, I heard a guy on a bus ranting about it, how she had enough money that she should have been able to use her own computer, and how could she feel so entitled that she'd use one of the government's computers instead, and steal from the government.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
Firings can't melt steel beams.
No, but it can weaken them. After the first strike I looked at how far down the plane hole was from the top of the tower and told DesertRoomie, "Unless they got something protecting the framing from heat, that building is coming down."
Old 06-03-2018, 07:57 AM

I love the contrast of "We are doomed and on an irreversible slide to horror and tyranny and the end of the world!"

"So be sure to vote and don't forget your 'I voted' sticker!"
Old 06-03-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I would not be one particle surprised if evidence emerged that Trump is deliberately giving classified information to Putin---presumably both for cash and to avoid having Putin-held compromat released. Carrot and stick....
He already HAS. Both our intel, and Israeli intel. And that's only what we know of. Plus trying to sabotage NATO, and the Iran nuke treaties.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
The regular Republicans don't give a fuck what thump does as long as he gets people to vote Republican. And the Pubs in Congress KNEW that Hillary's server posed NO threat to the nation's security.

The deplorables are too stoopid to understand any of this.
Stupid? Or just don't give a fuck??? And I don't think they care about national security either. It's all about "winning" something. Traitors.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Not to distract from the dick-waving contest above, but Rudy Giuliani has threatened to take Robert Mueller to court if he subpoenas Trump.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...ubpoenas-trump
Giuliani is a full of shit moron.

All brass, no ass. All show, no go.

Mueller should drag HIM before a judge for interfering in an investigation. And any other dirt he can find on him (I bet there's a lot of dirt).
Old 06-03-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
Giuliani is a full of shit moron.

All brass, no ass. All show, no go.

Mueller should drag HIM before a judge for interfering in an investigation. And any other dirt he can find on him (I bet there's a lot of dirt).
That would be sweet.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Listen you shit stain, you've spent months saying ridiculous things like You must be willing to sacrifice! What are you willing to do to end this?! Voting just may not matter anymore! Rule of law is dead! American Democracy is collapsing!

But now you're just telling us to go vote? Fuck off. If you were half as smart as you pathetically claimed you we're, you'd go get a job where your geopolitical genius actually made a difference instead of playing Prophet of Pants-Pissing on a message board.

Or if you really believed we're as truly as fucked as you've repeatedly told us, and that we're standing at the precipice of history with the installation of a tyrannical dictator, you'd pick up a gun and start shooting, you wimp.

Or in other words, asshole, shut the fuck up and do something about it. Your schtick is only amusing to those who like to whack off to tragedy porn or like to fancy themselves Rebels. The only time you were actually worth anything in the past six months was when you were having a hissy fit because no one believed you were the smartest guy here. That shit was hilarious! Do more of that!
Old 06-03-2018, 09:18 AM

It's odd that his lawyers are arguing that a President can do anything he wants just to avoid Trump having a sit-down with Mueller. That seems like taking the long way around just to avoid an interview. And if their argument is that Trump can do anything he wants to any investigation in his government, then why hasn't he shut Mueller down already along with the NYC one against Cohen? Because he knows he'll get into trouble, that's why, whether via an indictment or potential impeachment.

Now, it's still an open question whether a president can be indicted as no one has actually tried that before. And it seems like no interference in a DOJ investigation is more DOJ regs than a legal thing via Congress. What else impedes a president from interfering in things or pardoning himself? I'm asking because I'm not sure what's legal, what's in the Constitution and what's just standard norms via internal regs
Old 06-03-2018, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So youre arguing that by his popularity and such, Trump already has fascist power? Because if the law is irrelevant, and the legal system tries to stop him from, say, ending the investigation, then no legal mechanism is going to allow him to do that, so hed have to send in the FBI or CIA, both of which hes already attacked heavily, to actually arrest Mueller and judges and any Congressperson who tries to stop him.
I'm not getting this.

Suppose Trump fires Sessions, Rosenstein, Mueller, and everyone on Mueller's staff. He can do that.

Now, how can the legal system stop him from ending the investigation? It's ended, because there's nobody with the legal authority to continue it.

Let's say nobody changes the locks, and Mueller and his staff keep showing up at work. They no longer have subpoena power, they're no longer in a position to offer plea deals because they can't charge anyone with anything. They can write a concluding report based on what they know, and what then? Is there someone they can give it to? Or do they just release it to the general public?

Seriously, by what mechanism does the investigation continue?
Old 06-03-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
I'm not getting this.

Suppose Trump fires Sessions, Rosenstein, Mueller, and everyone on Mueller's staff. He can do that.

Now, how can the legal system stop him from ending the investigation? It's ended, because there's nobody with the legal authority to continue it.

Let's say nobody changes the locks, and Mueller and his staff keep showing up at work. They no longer have subpoena power, they're no longer in a position to offer plea deals because they can't charge anyone with anything. They can write a concluding report based on what they know, and what then? Is there someone they can give it to? Or do they just release it to the general public?

Seriously, by what mechanism does the investigation continue?
There is none. There will be no second chances; this is it. There will be no one to step in and stop him unless the American people rise up and say "no, this is unacceptable." And right now, I would not bet on the American people doing that, not even if their school children were being murdered in schools once a week and their largest minority population was systematically being murdered by the police. Oh, wait.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Listen you shit stain, you've spent months saying ridiculous things like You must be willing to sacrifice! What are you willing to do to end this?! Voting just may not matter anymore! Rule of law is dead! American Democracy is collapsing!

But now you're just telling us to go vote? Fuck off. If you were half as smart as you pathetically claimed you we're, you'd go get a job where your geopolitical genius actually made a difference instead of playing Prophet of Pants-Pissing on a message board.

Or if you really believed we're as truly as fucked as you've repeatedly told us, and that we're standing at the precipice of history with the installation of a tyrannical dictator, you'd pick up a gun and start shooting, you wimp.

Or in other words, asshole, shut the fuck up and do something about it. Your schtick is only amusing to those who like to whack off to tragedy porn or like to fancy themselves Rebels. The only time you were actually worth anything in the past six months was when you were having a hissy fit because no one believed you were the smartest guy here. That shit was hilarious! Do more of that!
One don't need to be a geopolitical genius to notice that yours is a dysfunctional government currently being taken over by right-wing racist authoritarians. I make no claims to being the smartest guy here but I can see what's happening and I don't pretend that Republicans will suddenly straighten out and fly right post-Trump. That would be like pretending Republicans will give up attempts to disenfranchise and gerrymander their way into power because they won the last election. As for Mueller's investigation, it'll be in the shredder before the ink is dry.

You can tell me to fuck off too if you like, but that won't change my mind, it'll just make me think your government is failing and you're an asshole.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
There is none. There will be no second chances; this is it. There will be no one to step in and stop him unless the American people rise up and say "no, this is unacceptable." And right now, I would not bet on the American people doing that, not even if their school children were being murdered in schools once a week and their largest minority population was systematically being murdered by the police. Oh, wait.
However one may bet: yes, it comes down to November.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
.... There will be no one to step in and stop him unless the American people rise up and say "no, this is unacceptable." And right now, I would not bet on the American people doing that, not even if their school children were being murdered in schools once a week and their largest minority population was systematically being murdered by the police. Oh, wait.
And as unlikely as it is that Americans in general speak up, it is even less likely that congressional Republicans will, ever. How any Republican after this fiasco ever claims to hold a belief about anything will be mystifying.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Maybe saying it's "dead" in the stative sense is inaccurate, I would agree. But it's clearly diseased and sliding into a bedridden state. It is anything but healthy, and you're deluded if you believe that this is just a temporary event that's going to reverse itself when this country has come to its senses.

Quote:
"Prophet of Pants-Pissing." I actually laughed.

Quote:
You know, you don't really seem all that "happy."
Old 06-03-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
One don't need to be a geopolitical genius to notice that yours is a dysfunctional government currently being taken over by right-wing racist authoritarians. I make no claims to being the smartest guy here but I can see what's happening and I don't pretend that Republicans will suddenly straighten out and fly right post-Trump. That would be like pretending Republicans will give up attempts to disenfranchise and gerrymander their way into power because they won the last election. As for Mueller's investigation, it'll be in the shredder before the ink is dry.

You can tell me to fuck off too if you like, but that won't change my mind, it'll just make me think your government is failing and you're an asshole.
Wait for it, wait for it:

"Oh yeah?! Well don't just stand there, do something about it like any good Canadian cowboy would."
Old 06-03-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by computergeek View Post
It's odd that his lawyers are arguing that a President can do anything he wants just to avoid Trump having a sit-down with Mueller. That seems like taking the long way around just to avoid an interview. And if their argument is that Trump can do anything he wants to any investigation in his government, then why hasn't he shut Mueller down already along with the NYC one against Cohen? Because he knows he'll get into trouble, that's why, whether via an indictment or potential impeachment.

My emphasis.

Serious question: "Get into trouble" with whom? Who's going to indict him? Who's going to impeach him? Be specific. Name names.