Old 01-09-2020, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Six months ago The Powers That Be at work decided to move my department into a newly erected giant portable building that was set up out in the parking lot near the main building.

It was up to me, the disabled guy, to point out that they set up the new building on top of the handicapped parking spaces. Maybe we should designate a few handicapped parking spaces in the remaining parking lit? And I tossed in a suggestion that maybe the handicapped ramp should be on the end of the building nearest the still existing parking lot and not the farthest point of the new building.

Six months later TPTB still don't seem to think this is a problem. However the EEOC does seem to think it is a problem.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
After the lull of the holidays, I've been slammed all week. Issues have come up that I've never even seen in the four years I've had the job. So not the easing-out I was hoping for. But they are throwing a party Thursday afternoon so as long as I don't have to make a speech, that will be fun. And I've really appreciated all the kind words from my co-workers, many of whom I will miss.
My last day nobody did nuthin. I worked right up to quitting time, logged off of the phone, then spent an hour and a half off the clock taking all the cube decorations down and stowing them into a couple boxes I'd brought.

When I'd carried them out I came back in, sauntered by my immediate sup's cube (he wasn't there) then pinned my ID and door key to the wall of his cube so it was out of sight to the casual passer-by, and walked out not looking back.

Having to be at work by 5am, my alarm was set for 3am. I kept it on for the express purpose of getting awakened, then whapping the alarm thinking, "I don't have to go to work today!" as I sank back into the arms of sweet, sweet Morpheus. I quit after about two months when I got bored.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Aw, come on. You must miss her a LITTLE bit, or you wouldnít bring her up twice in a row.
Sorry! Tapatalk was being weird. She was awful, but she did leave me with some good stories. I still laugh when I think about the time she locked herself in her office.

Kelevra, I think public shaming is appropriate for people who spatter all over the microwave and donít clean it up. Especially with tuna. Why canít she just eat it cold?

Iím dealing with my misogynist coworker again. He is so convinced that he is always right that he canít even be bothered to read my emails, which quite clearly point out that he is wrong. I have a phone meeting with him on Monday, and itís so hard to be patient and professional with him. Iím very busy right now, and I donít have time for his nonsense.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
This is going to be my last workplace rant. I'm retiring on Friday. In two days. I should be sitting back now, keeping an eye on my replacement to make sure the transition is going well. Except, I have no replacement...
I'm still amused by the fact that at the toxic workplace (that I fled so I could start teaching), they kept hiring people that refused to be micromanaged and worked 60-80 hours a week like they'd done to me. After a year of that, they finally hired two people to do my job.
Quote:
But they are throwing a party Thursday afternoon so as long as I don't have to make a speech, that will be fun...
I just retired from teaching. The semester before, three teachers retired and got a huge party, with multiple coworkers taking the stage (yes, they even got a stage) to emote their heartfelt testimonials.

When they threw me a tiny whoever-can-run-across-the-street-to-the-bar-after-work party, I asked for no speeches. Boss said "Okay, but we'll ask you to say a few words." Yikes, I really didn't want to, but I did have an outline in my head, ready to be fleshed out on the spot. But I never was on the spot. They all forgot about it!

So, how was your party? Speeches, tears, sheet cake, alcohol?

Big congrats are due! Hope you can relax and enjoy it (I have retired friends who keep telling me "It's okay, you worked hard, you deserve this!").
Old 01-10-2020, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I'm still amused by the fact that at the toxic workplace (that I fled so I could start teaching), they kept hiring people that refused to be micromanaged and worked 60-80 hours a week like they'd done to me. After a year of that, they finally hired two people to do my job.I just retired from teaching. The semester before, three teachers retired and got a huge party, with multiple coworkers taking the stage (yes, they even got a stage) to emote their heartfelt testimonials.

When they threw me a tiny whoever-can-run-across-the-street-to-the-bar-after-work party, I asked for no speeches. Boss said "Okay, but we'll ask you to say a few words." Yikes, I really didn't want to, but I did have an outline in my head, ready to be fleshed out on the spot. But I never was on the spot. They all forgot about it!

So, how was your party? Speeches, tears, sheet cake, alcohol?

Big congrats are due! Hope you can relax and enjoy it (I have retired friends who keep telling me "It's okay, you worked hard, you deserve this!").
They threw me a fabulous party! So this post is not in the spirit of the thread. Our division has about 200 people and I'd say about half of them came. It was in our 3 story lobby and folks were also watching from both balconies. My boss gave a speech and then asked if anyone else wanted to say anything and a bunch of people told stories and said all kinds of nice things. I hate being the center of attention so it was a bit uncomfortable but it still felt really good. Every time I felt I was getting misty-eyed, I'd look at the big big boss, who I despise and was the impetus for me finally taking this leap, and regained my composure.

There was lots of food and cake and presents and hugs. A friend took lots of pictures. I have to say, despite all the shit over the last few years and for all the times I absolutely hated having to go there, I couldn't have asked for a better ending to my work life. Almost all of my co-workers were great. The problems always stemmed from the idiots running things. I avoided big big boss the entire time but he caught me just as things were winding down. He gave me this speech about how important I'd been and the whole time I was thinking "shut up you phony asshole."

So tomorrow I'm going to take it easy, finish cleaning out my desk and say the last goodbyes. I feel sorry for my backup who is going to feel the brunt of no-plan-for-a-replacement but she knows what's up. I really doubt she will stick around a whole lot longer. One of my co-workers who has been there as long as I have (22 years) said "remember when we were talking a while back about how great this place used to be and how much fun we had and every year it keeps getting worse? You leaving just adds to that." Got me misty-eyed.

And now back to the regularly scheduled workplace rants. I'll still read them but I will be free!
Old 01-10-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Worked for a Christian group right after college, and I was always surprised at the less-than-holy snark and pranks there.

One guy, whose office I hung out in (it was the official Tiki Rum 'N' Juice Bar, and decorated appropriately), had a huge hand-lettered sign:

I GROW WEARY
OF BEING SHOWN THE LIGHT
BY THOSE WHO CAN'T DO WHAT I DO...
BUT KNOW I'M NOT DOING IT RIGHT.
I want to print this out and put it on my bulletin board, but then some people will think I have a "bad attitude."

Old 01-11-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicEyes View Post
I want to print this out and put it on my bulletin board, but then some people will think I have a "bad attitude."
That's what made it so great. That Christian campus ministry group was full of wonderful people, but they all had sanctified sticks up their butts. I doubt they'd ever worked with someone that honest (and naughty) before.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
They threw me a fabulous party! So this post is not in the spirit of the thread. Our division has about 200 people and I'd say about half of them came. It was in our 3 story lobby and folks were also watching from both balconies. My boss gave a speech and then asked if anyone else wanted to say anything and a bunch of people told stories and said all kinds of nice things. I hate being the center of attention so it was a bit uncomfortable but it still felt really good. Every time I felt I was getting misty-eyed, I'd look at the big big boss, who I despise and was the impetus for me finally taking this leap, and regained my composure.

There was lots of food and cake and presents and hugs. A friend took lots of pictures. I have to say, despite all the shit over the last few years and for all the times I absolutely hated having to go there, I couldn't have asked for a better ending to my work life. Almost all of my co-workers were great. The problems always stemmed from the idiots running things. I avoided big big boss the entire time but he caught me just as things were winding down. He gave me this speech about how important I'd been and the whole time I was thinking "shut up you phony asshole."

So tomorrow I'm going to take it easy, finish cleaning out my desk and say the last goodbyes. I feel sorry for my backup who is going to feel the brunt of no-plan-for-a-replacement but she knows what's up. I really doubt she will stick around a whole lot longer. One of my co-workers who has been there as long as I have (22 years) said "remember when we were talking a while back about how great this place used to be and how much fun we had and every year it keeps getting worse? You leaving just adds to that." Got me misty-eyed.

And now back to the regularly scheduled workplace rants. I'll still read them but I will be free!
I love a happy ending! Enjoy being retired!

Old 01-12-2020, 02:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Have it made into a plausible facsimile of a motivational poster. Then put a REAL motivational poster with the same image on the bulletin board. After a few weeks, switch them out.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:15 AM
Charter Member

Missed the edit window:

For several years my workplace had one that had no image, just a black square. The caption read:

P * R * O * C * R * A * S * T * I * N * A * T * I * O * N

Iíll find a picture for this later
Old 01-12-2020, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

And now my supervisor's headed out of town for a week...still no reviews for anyone as far as I know, and he also failed to tell anyone else in my department that he would be leaving. (I think it was a slip that he told me.)

I'm also scheduled to go with another employee tomorrow to do some preliminary inspections on some components we're having built by a local fabricator. I have no idea what time this visit will take place, or even how much work has been completed. It has been insinuated to me that the fabricator doesn't understand -- or hasn't received -- a critical drawing. Fun times.

Back to 'motivational' posters, I've always been fond of this one.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Missed the edit window:

For several years my workplace had one that had no image, just a black square. The caption read:

P * R * O * C * R * A * S * T * I * N * A * T * I * O * N

Iíll find a picture for this later

*snerk*
Old 01-13-2020, 08:20 AM

Reminds me of the "Loading Image" posters I've seen. Apropos when you work for a web design company...
Old 01-23-2020, 06:24 PM

Work is sending me to upstate New York in February. I am seriously not a fan of cold weather.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Work is sending me to upstate New York in February. I am seriously not a fan of cold weather.
Where to?

Hope it's not "Northwest Upstate". The lake effect dumps 17+ inches of snow on Buffalo, 21 inches on Rochester. And with the winds, those are often horizontal snowstorms.

But once you get even a little ways away from Lakes Eire or Ontario, it's down to less than ten (Ithaca's less than 90 miles away, but gets half the snow of Rochester).

But Rochester has Dinosaur Bar-B-Q, so I'd gladly go!

Uhh, no, I don't have those stats memorized...

Last edited by digs; 01-23-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:27 PM

Watertown. Just east of Lake Ontario.

Might see if I can slip into Canada one weekend though. It'll be tough because I'm already on their watch list.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saje View Post
*snerk*
Hereís an entire gallery of demotivational posters. I made a screensaver of these once a long time ago.

https://despair.com/collections/demotivators
Old 01-24-2020, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Watertown. Just east of Lake Ontario.

Might see if I can slip into Canada one weekend though. It'll be tough because I'm already on their watch list.
I once helped build a movie theatre in Watertown. The booth had a door that opened two floors up, and they had not put the outside stairs on yet, I asked the manager if that was the winter exit.

I was told to shut up.

Last edited by The Vorlon; 01-24-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:55 AM

Monday. Ugh.
Started out to day with a few protestors outside the building, with massive signs, letting all us employees know we are supporting the ransoming of children. I guess paying child support = paying ransom to see their children? I've heard that before, and I guess I can even sort of see it, but child support workers are the meter readers of family court. We have no say in what is ordered, how visitation is handled, nothing.

A few weeks ago I made mention that I kind of enjoy the crazy that goes with SovCit / FotL / AMoors cases. Somehow that quickly evolved into "Send MissTake ALL your Sov Cit / FotL / AMoors cases!" I've received 5 cases in the past week of this sort. Lord love a duck, I am so looking to be sued personally.
One received this morning will not accept mail as the person doesn't recognize the ZIP Code system as being legal. They're going to be fun.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTake View Post
...One received this morning will not accept mail as the person doesn't recognize the ZIP Code system as being legal. They're going to be fun.
OK, I laughed at this. I too love these people. At least for a short time.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

AMoors?
Old 01-27-2020, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

I now with a person who criticizes the tiniest mistake, always phrasing it with "So-and-so said." When I had the nerve ask ask so-and-so if she had really said that, she denied it. Then the original person asked me why I had talked to so-and-so.

Cause I think you're a lying bitch, that's why.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 01-27-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
AMoors?
Aboriginal Moorish / Moors. Not as wingnutty as SovCits or FotL, but also do not recognize the court system.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:30 PM

I have been assigned to a team called the Rapid Response Team. The idea is that we meet every day and go over what happened during the previous day and what we can do to help make production more productive. I am the project engineering representative. Now, this isn't all bad. We are bringing to light some things that we've really had to look at. But how we are meeting right now really sucks. This is a 45 minute standing meeting, on the production floor. We spend the whole time yelling at each other to be heard over all the equipment. I've mentioned and suggested that maybe we meet somewhere else so we can actually hear each other but I was overruled.

I just got done with that meeting and it was particularly bad today. But mostly because I broke my pinky toe and standing in my steel toed shoes is deeply uncomfortable right now.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Customer Service Asshat: "The fabricator was supposed to call you today, right?"

Me: "Yep."

CSA: "They didn't call you, did they."

Me: "Nope."

CSA: "Aren't they supposed to call and let you know when we can witness testing?"

Me: "They are."

CSA: "They really didn't call you?"

Gee asshat, I've been sitting at my desk practically all day, and my phone gives me a big message on its screen when I miss a call (along with a big red light if the missed caller leaves a message). And, in the event someone loses my direct number, the lady who answers the main line knows my extension, and also knows what's going on with this fabricator. I would know if I had missed a fucking call.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:58 PM

Mini-rant: my high-maintenance co-worker decided to throw away the half-melted bag of ice that was sitting in the sink. The garbage can is across the kitchen, and had a nice path of water leading to it that I (barely) caught myself from slipping in. I looked in the can, found the ice.

Mopped the floor, took the ice back to the sink and dumped it like any civilized person would, and threw away the empty bag.

Seriously. Who throws away liquid in a garbage can? Yes, I know a lot of it was solid. Smartass
Old 01-30-2020, 10:19 AM

Ugh, it's annual review time. Now I get to waste untold hours writing up meaningless bullshit that will be forgotten the second it's submitted. I fucking hate this time of year. I'm literally sitting here wishing that some enormous stressful emergency would crop up and give me the excuse not to do this, because that honestly sounds like a better time.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:17 PM

The place I left in September is still sending me their meeting minutes (despite me having written to the team leader to take me off the list) AND they are still looking for my replacement.

Last edited by Nava; 01-30-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
Ugh, it's annual review time. Now I get to waste untold hours writing up meaningless bullshit that will be forgotten the second it's submitted. I fucking hate this time of year. I'm literally sitting here wishing that some enormous stressful emergency would crop up and give me the excuse not to do this, because that honestly sounds like a better time.
Since nobody bothers to read those, they don't have to be original. write up several versions (Good, Very Good, Excellent, Needs Improvement, etc.) and just re-use the appropriate one for each employee. Make minor wording & emphasis changes as needed, but don't bother re-writing them from scratch.

A great time-saver for you; it gets submitted on time for your employees; and you can use the time for an actual discussion with the employee about the job.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
The place I left in September is still sending me their meeting minutes (despite me having written to the team leader to take me off the list) AND they are still looking for my replacement.

I bet they made sure to take you off the payroll first thing though.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:33 PM

I was second-guessing my retiring from a great (teaching) job. But then I got the meeting notes from the first faculty meeting without me: OMG, the levels of annoying bureaucracy has just gone through the roof!

They'd been changing Professional Development methods and web portals for a decade (got so confusing that many of us just stopped posting our conference/training hours YEARS ago!). Now we... (no,THEY) have to post their time on three different portals, in different formats. And take useless classes for digital badges (which I loathe), do team-building sports, and report on them at what the department calls "Love-Ins", led by cheerleaders.

It was the Universe telling me I got out just in time.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:37 AM

Works sucks, and I’m wearing pants that don’t have any pockets.

Old 02-12-2020, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

We've had a mystery server problem at work that causes random problems for different people. Some people just experience really slow file saving and load times, while others are unable to save files at all from Acrobat. Corporate decided a complete server reboot would fix everything; they did that last night. Now pretty much everyone is experiencing excruciatingly long wait times during saving and loading, a handful of people are still unable to save to the server directly from Acrobat, and a couple of people are reporting "lightning fast" response times. Also, our internet slowed to a crawl (think low DSL speeds) today.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Works sucks, and Iím wearing pants that donít have any pockets.
You get to wear your jammies at work?

I mean, the only other explanation is that you actually spent money on pants without pockets? Nobody's expected to live like that!
I'd tape some manilla envelopes on my hips, or wear left and right fanny packs, or SOMEthing...
Old 02-12-2020, 09:59 PM

I'm guessing you're male, Digs. Take a look at pants sold for women some time.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:08 PM

I work for a huge corporation that pays me a lot of money to do very little. There are rumors of layoffs, but I'm safe for at least the next three months.

A research institution has contacted me to see if I'd be interested in working there. They do very important work (lots of work) and pay very little.

My conscience is telling me to change jobs, but I'm so comfortable where I am.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefton View Post
My conscience is telling me to change jobs, but I'm so comfortable where I am.
Meaningfulness means more than money or comfort in the long run. Switched from a big ad agency to teaching, and took a pay cut, and I'm SO glad I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
I'm guessing you're male, Digs. Take a look at pants sold for women some time.
Male, and appreciative of a)peeing standing up; and b)...pockets!

I'll march with women: No more high heels, pantyhose or pocketlessness!

My wife and daughter won't buy anything that doesn't have pockets...made my wife's wedding dress shopping more challenging. And thirty-five years later, my daughter still had to hunt for one.

Last edited by digs; 02-12-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:42 AM

What's worse are the token pockets a lot of women's pants have. You can maybe put one key in them, but not much else.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
What's worse are the token pockets a lot of women's pants have. You can maybe put one key in them, but not much else.
God, do I hate women's pants. I mean, I wear them because men's pants would look hopelessly baggy on me, but never having functional front pockets is beyond frustrating. I have two pairs with front pockets (I wear jeans to work, and after losing a lot of weight, skinny jeans are what look best on me. I know more professional trouser-type pants are even worse to find pockets in). The other pair is okay, but doesn't fit the best. The two I love the most - yup, of course, no front pockets.

Don't even get me started on leggings... I have ONE pair with pockets.

Reminds me of the meme I've seen on FB a few times. It shows women's pants, and a single finger being able to fit into a tiny front pocket. Then men's pants, and they show an entire video game inventory layout. It's glorious.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:18 AM

Super-mini rant: My work wife has left the company. It was a long time coming, and I'm surprised she stayed as long as she did, but still.

At least my real wife is still with the business.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovitlac View Post
God, do I hate women's pants. I mean, I wear them because men's pants would look hopelessly baggy on me, but never having functional front pockets is beyond frustrating. I have two pairs with front pockets (I wear jeans to work, and after losing a lot of weight, skinny jeans are what look best on me. I know more professional trouser-type pants are even worse to find pockets in). The other pair is okay, but doesn't fit the best. The two I love the most - yup, of course, no front pockets.

Don't even get me started on leggings... I have ONE pair with pockets.

Reminds me of the meme I've seen on FB a few times. It shows women's pants, and a single finger being able to fit into a tiny front pocket. Then men's pants, and they show an entire video game inventory layout. It's glorious.
Shameless plug: I have a pair of Gloria Vanderbilt slacks that have front pockets that can hold a Samsung Galaxy. The whole phone, not just a quarter-inch of it.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovitlac View Post
I gave up on women's pants back in college. Some men's pants are a bit too baggy, but the pockets (and the price!) are a good trade-off. I have some L.L. Bean pants (Pathfinders) that can hold a full-size Nintendo Switch in the front pocket. The side pocket can hold a Pixel XL.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:24 AM

Maybe I’ll quit my job and earn a living by adding pockets to women’s clothes. It would be more fun than what I’m doing now.

I’m a patient person, but I’ve used up all all of my patience. I have none left, and I need to dig up a little before She Who Will Not Be Named comes in. Our website is a mess due to things that we can’t control, we’re launching a new website next week, and I have a ton of work to do already (too much to get done before the launch). She’s making all this much harder by not understanding basic concepts about how our website works (I’ve explained several times, but she usually doesn’t listen when I’m talking), and she wants to totally rearrange a section of the website, which means creating new pages, and that’s not gonna happen. I’m so glad it’s Friday, because I don’t think I could make it through another day of this.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:32 AM

If I didn’t need to pay rent, I would quit this job right now. I’m so stressed I’m hiding in the bathroom so I can cry in peace. My supervisor is hateful, and I’m so very tired of her nastiness. And I have a meeting right in the middle of lunchtime. I hate that.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:44 AM

I'm sorry MagicEyes, hope things get better soon.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
I'm sorry MagicEyes, hope things get better soon.

Thank you.

On top of everything else, I have several issues with software that are making it difficult to get all of these other things done, and tech support on all of them are very slow to respond. They’re also bad at reading emails, and they never understand what the problem is until we’ve had a few rounds of emails (I explain it clearly, they just don’t read the email). I need a long vacation, but if I go away, I might never come back.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I need a long vacation, but if I go away, I might never come back.
I did that once. Came back from a ski vacation and couldn't face my job. Called and quit. Totally worth it. (I was younger then without so many bills/responsibilities)
Old 02-14-2020, 12:15 PM

Well, hope maybe a short vacation* will help.

*As in Saturday and Sunday. The trick is to somehow not think about work... either get so busy with errands, or so worn out with sports or walking, or so distracted by bingeing a show or watching Oscar Nominees...

...and remember, alcohol is your friend.

Hey, wait, your friends are, too! Get together and listen to their problems. I did that and suddenly my struggles looked minor (damn, peeps got some screwed-up shit!).
Old 02-14-2020, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
Or a token...
Old 02-16-2020, 06:16 PM

For two days I was thinking "Maybe that's a Manhattan thing. Next time I go I'll have to remember to keep a spare subway token in my watch pocket of my jeans... but wait, I bet they use cards like London by now... oh, wait, token... "

[sigh]