Old 01-21-2020, 10:25 PM

I hate to meet at a end of a grocery aisle. The opposing cart driver stops and says come on out. No I'm trying to turn your way, just keep moving, please.
I'm not gonna walk through a pack of people, I don't want to touch those people.
OP, in the escalator I'm not sure what I would've done. I know I would not like any of the choices you mention.
Elevators are a big phobia for me. If I have a choice I take the stairs. One of my fears is people not letting me get off.
Every person went to elementary school. We all learned to walk down a hall orderly. Why does this go away in a public place?

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 01-21-2020 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromNapa View Post
There should be a word for this phenomenon, where a group of people cluster right in the middle of a thoroughfare, oblivious to or unconcerned about the fact they are causing an obstruction. I've encountered this often on shared use bike/pedestrian trails. The last time a family group was stopped in the middle of a trail and ignored my bell I simply squeezed by and said to the dad, "You have a good day.....Douche!" I had to chuckle thinking that at least one of his children would ask him, "Daddy, what's a douche?"
I'd call them a "clot," because they're behaving exactly like an arterial blockage.

"My progress was slowed by a clot of people blocking the sidewalk. "
Old 01-22-2020, 03:46 AM

Oh, how I understand!

I can whistle. I do it seldom, but when I have to, I can reach over 100 dB at close range. I use two fingers (thumb and index finger) of one hand and it works.
Being male and about 6' 4" also helps.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:49 AM

This magpie has a similar trick, only better.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
An aggravation of obliviots.
I am so using the word "obliviot" from now on. It annoys the hell out of me that something on a screen is now more important than real life.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
My local Shop Rite has aisles wide enough for two people, yet people stand there in the middle with their carts blocking all traffic I don't understand it. Move to the side, idiot.
This one irks me. Happens every time I shop. I will say 'excuse me' and the person will move and look a little embarrassed. I nod politely, but I can't thinking 'why did it not occur to you that other people exist and will want to use the aisle also'?

-God
Old 01-22-2020, 11:11 AM

This one involves more of sitting in the way.

I go to refuel at a gas station, the usual one I go to. It has 3 pump islands, able to refuel two cars each side of the island. It was quite crowded, with a few vehicles waiting to pull up to a pump as others leave.

Anyway, I take station by one of them, and notice one car has been sitting there a good long time. Finally, said owner of vehicle comes out of convenience store and gets in the vehicle. I begin inching toward it in anticipation of his departure...but departure never comes. Several minutes go by, but by then the vehicle at the pump in front of him leaves, so I maneuver and get into that spot at the pumps. As I'm refueling, I notice the original driver: he's just sitting in the driver's seat take the phone down from his ear and begin dicking around with his phone. Finally several more minutes later, he finally leaves. I gave him a glare and he just looked back nonplussed.

I was mad for the next half hour at how some can have absolutely zero self-awareness.

I've seen the same thing happen before other times, but this was the most egregious display of selfishness I've seen at a filling station.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Ahem.

Quote:
And when your transaction at the cash register is finished, please move your ass. Don't stand there having a phone conversation, sending a message, or whatever it is people do while standing there after there transaction is completed. I have to stand there doing nothing until you are gone and even if there is no one on line behind you, I still have things to do.
IN line.

That is all.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

*Checks location*

People in the NJ/NY area stand and wait ON line.

That is all.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
I'd call them a "clot," because they're behaving exactly like an arterial blockage.

"My progress was slowed by a clot of people blocking the sidewalk. "
See post #36. I am entitled to royalty payments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99
IN line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas
ON line.
Doesn't matter to me, but would you like your purchase in a sack?*

*Midwesternism.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
^

Similar to a murder of crows, etc., we could call them...

An aggravation of obliviots.
I love it!
Old 01-22-2020, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Maybe it would help if there was a universal gesture for "Sorry! I'm an idiot!" that people could use while driving.
While not universal, a couple of gestures do seem to be understood by a good number of people:
You put your hands to their respective sides, palms up at shoulder level, with a look of regret on your face.

The other one that is well known by many sports fans is the open-palmed double-tap on your upper chest, sometimes accompanied by a head dip for emphasis.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:14 PM

Brits wait ON line. Or on queue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Doesn't matter to me, but would you like your purchase in a sack?*

*Midwesternism.
Some Midwesterners say 'BAIG'.
Makes me wanna gaig...like those people who say 'melk'.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:59 AM

The people who should really be put up against the wall are the ones that, in a supermarket with a trolley, stop, walk towards the opposite aisle to look at something while still holding the trolley with one hand, which makes it pivot until it's positioned perpendicularly and right up to the opposite aisle, and there they stand, arm outstretched, peering at products in a state of absolute obliviousness of the world outside completely blocking a path that could accommodate five or six people walking shoulder to shoulder.

Makes one wonder why axes ever went out of fashion,
Old 01-23-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
The people who should really be put up against the wall are the ones that, in a supermarket with a trolley, stop, walk towards the opposite aisle to look at something while still holding the trolley with one hand, which makes it pivot until it's positioned perpendicularly and right up to the opposite aisle, and there they stand, arm outstretched, peering at products in a state of absolute obliviousness of the world outside completely blocking a path that could accommodate five or six people walking shoulder to shoulder.

Makes one wonder why axes ever went out of fashion,
That happened to me once. I said, "Excuse me," and the lady did not respond.

I said "Excuse me," a bit louder. She ignored me.

So I grabbed the end of the cart that she wasn't holding, lifted it, and moved it out of my way. She looked at me with a shocked expression. I smiled at her and walked through the now open aisle.

"Well, you COULD have WAITED!" she snapped.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm on a bus that stops at the bus stop. The person gets on the bus and proceeds to stand on the stairs and continue texting, holding up the bus, the driver and all the passengers I was tempted to call 911 and report her for mass kidnapping!

If that ain't rude (and illegal) I don't know what is.
There's also the snowflake who is too special to exit the bus through the exit door like the common herd and insists on blocking the line of people trying to get in the entrance door, usually while it's raining/snowing/hot/cold outside.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

People who leave their cats at the check out line and go to get "one more thing" should be banned from shopping. I've actually been called out for moving their damn cart and taking the next person on line. "Well, I only left it there for two minutes." No, it was ten minutes and YOU have to be present on the line to get checked out.

That goes double for parents who leave their cart and children on line all by their lonesome so they can get "on more thing." I can't check out the items and I'm not watching your children.

("One more thing" usually translates to at least three items, and often more).
Old 01-23-2020, 10:20 AM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

This happened to me several years ago at a butcher shop. They had one of those dispensers where you take a number and wait to be called on for service.

I don't remember what number I had, but let's say it was 74. I waited several minutes until one of the butchers called that number. As I stepped up, a guy behind me yelled out something like "27!" (again, I don't remember the exact number, but it was much lower). I turned to look at him, and again he yelled, "27!" while holding up his number. I asked, "Where were you when they called your number?" He replied, "I was out shopping. You don't expect me to wait here, do you?"

I told him that if you're not there when they call your number, you lose your turn. I stepped up to the counter, got served, then went to the register to pay. I don't know what happened with Mr. 27 after that.

I'd have been happy to let him go ahead of me if his number was, say, 72 or 73. I'd have figured he didn't hear it when they called him, or they'd accidentally skipped over him, or something like that. But this guy thought he could pull a number, leave for some indefinite period, and then come back later and get immediate service, unlike average sucker who actually waits in line with the other suckers. Where's the limit? Why not pull a number one day and come back another? Why not carry around your own roll of numbers, from 00 to 99, so you can get immediate service at any time?
Old 01-23-2020, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
People who leave their cats at the check out line and go to get "one more thing" should be banned from shopping.
I don't think they should be allowed to adopt any more pets, either!
Old 01-23-2020, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

CARTS, not cats. Damn bad hand.

Though I'm no fan or people who bring pets into the store either.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Wang-Ka View Post

In the process of ascending, I noted that the entire middle of the escalator was clotted with people. that was where they stopped. All of them.

They did not get out of the way. They stood there, I simply shrugged, and was disgorged by the escalator directly behind Mom.

Mom reacted about the way I thought she would, with an Oh! and a brisk step forward. Dad looked at me like Id showed up uninvited for Thanksgiving. Grandma looked at me like Id yanked open my dirty trenchcoat to expose my naughty bits. The kids stared at me like Id descended from a flying saucer.

Dad gave me an indignant look. I smiled at him. Mom frantically nudged through her children to get away from me.

Ex-CUSE me? Dad snapped.

Dad looked like he was starting to get angry, and I hoped to put some distance between us before he could work through being surprised. Plus, I felt the presence behind me of another body, and I really didnt want Guy Behind Me in my back pocket.

A

Behind me, Dad apparently noticed Guy Behind Me, and said loudly, PARDON ME? What are you people DOING?

Guy Behind Me said, Im WALKING here, in a tone of voice that dared Dad to do something about it.

The "I'm walkin' here" guy had the right idea. I've been less than polite to assholes too. But I'm more direct. I glare at them and yell "MOVE!"

It works. Entitled assholes need to be put in their place more often. Then they might take a hint and stop it. If its in front of their unholy spawn, then it becomes a "teaching moment" too. Win win.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

I once had a friend who was a cop. When people didn't move out of his way, he would how them his badge and ask for their personal information to "run a search."

That got quite a few people moving, sometimes right out the door, very quickly.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
That happened to me once. I said, "Excuse me," and the lady did not respond.

I said "Excuse me," a bit louder. She ignored me.

So I grabbed the end of the cart that she wasn't holding, lifted it, and moved it out of my way. She looked at me with a shocked expression. I smiled at her and walked through the now open aisle.

"Well, you COULD have WAITED!" she snapped.
I've done that myself. Sure I could wait ALL FUCKING DAY... but I'm not going to. And I don't smile.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:16 PM

To OP:
You mean you actually STOP when some idjit block your way?

Just try this. Stop 1 foot *after* walking through them. Then complain bitterly that they walked into you.
It works wonders for clearing your way.

Sorry, but I have low tolerance for suicides, and stopping at the foot of an elevator where the other people will be **unable** to avoid collision with you is... suicidal behavior.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
CARTS, not cats. Damn bad hand.

Though I'm no fan or people who bring pets into the store either.
I post here using my cell phone. I type using one hand and use the other to cradle the phone steady (despite being chastised by my offspring for not typing with 2 thumbs), as do many or most of us who use our phones to post.

The trick is to actually read your own post before submitting (but even then mistakes slip through).
Old 01-23-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Until the fellow slowly turned left into the shopping center. All right. He was slow. That was okay. I turned left behind him, to get into the same shopping center.

And then just inside the entrance... he stopped cold. So many cars! So much space! Where to park? What to DO? BRAIN... LOCKING... UP....

And behind him, I was sitting in the middle of the LEFT LANE OF TRAFFIC, with cars in the distance barreling towards me. So I honked at him.
In my opinion that's partially on you for turning too early. You should have waited until the fellow had left room for you on the other side of the traffic lane.

This was an important lesson when I learned how to drive, because we have a lot of elderly Sunday drivers here. It's similar to the other rule, don't cross an intersection in heavy traffic until you know there's enough room on the other side. Unless you are in light traffic with a left turn signal, don't cross the oncoming lane to enter a parking lot until you know there's room for your car on the other side.

~Max
Old 01-23-2020, 04:28 PM

This whole thread is giving me Costco flashbacks. Every damn time I go there, I'm trapped behind some 40-something jackass who's draped over his cart like he simply is too exhausted to walk upright (which I guess is possible; maybe I'm the asshole?) and slow-walking his way, slack-jawed, through the main aisle. Bonus if he stops in the middle of the aisle, leaves the cart and stands there between the cart and the object of their fascination just...staring. It's like combining all my pet peeves into one trip.

If it were just one person who did this, it'd block just half the aisle and you could just shoot around them, but Costco seems to attract EVERYONE who does that. All at once. Usually on a Sunday because for some reason that's what people do here after church.

Last edited by overlyverbose; 01-23-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Most irritating is the group of three (or even just two) who are coming toward me on the sidewalk, and who, for some inexplicable reason, believe they are entitled to the entire width of the walk. I refuse to get out of the way, and will usually just stop as they walk up to me.
Oh but this really grinds my gears. I'm not a tiny lady, so small that you can't see me, but neither am I so big that I take up more room than is fair or a burden on others. So if I'm doing my laps and you're going the opposite way (the wrong way!) and encroach upon my side (and this being 'Murica, I walk on the right), I loudly say "I'm not moving." The bluntness and no-nonsense tone I give, really emoting how there are no fucks left to give, gets my point across really well in the moment. I get a lot of shocked looks, but no one argues and they all move.

If I'm walking with someone, I do go single file when other people are coming and we're taking up too much room. There's one paved trail I like with a line painted down the center and I will not budge an inch for people on that path.

And I hate escalator stoppers too. I think if it happens to me again, I'll change up my "I'm not moving" to "I can't stop moving" as I plow into them.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
...this being 'Murica, I walk on the right
Amazing how many people don't know this.

Walk on the right, pass on the left.* Rules to live by.

*Except sometimes at the mall.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max S. View Post
In my opinion that's partially on you for turning too early. You should have waited until the fellow had left room for you on the other side of the traffic lane.

This was an important lesson when I learned how to drive, because we have a lot of elderly Sunday drivers here. It's similar to the other rule, don't cross an intersection in heavy traffic until you know there's enough room on the other side. Unless you are in light traffic with a left turn signal, don't cross the oncoming lane to enter a parking lot until you know there's room for your car on the other side.

~Max
I guess you might have a point, but it flat never occurred to me that someone would just STOP in the middle of an otherwise empty parking lot entrance due to ... mental overload, or whatever their malfunction was.

At least part of the problem was that Grandpa was puttering along in no particular hurry, and I was following. Traffic wasn't heavy, and there wasn't anything in his way, either in the street or in the parking lot into which he was turning. There was literally no reason for him to stop.

So naturally, he stopped. For no reason that I could see.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:51 AM

Nevermind.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 01-27-2020 at 09:51 AM. Reason: nevermind
Old 01-27-2020, 11:02 AM

Last October at a convention in Chicago, I actually had a guy in front of me just flat out stop in a revolving door to check his phone. He was super surprised when I continued pushing the door and the bar whacked him from behind. It was fairly epic. I think I'll remember that fondly forever.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlyverbose View Post
This whole thread is giving me Costco flashbacks. Every damn time I go there, I'm trapped behind some 40-something jackass who's draped over his cart like he simply is too exhausted to walk upright (which I guess is possible; maybe I'm the asshole?) and slow-walking his way, slack-jawed, through the main aisle. Bonus if he stops in the middle of the aisle, leaves the cart and stands there between the cart and the object of their fascination just...staring. It's like combining all my pet peeves into one trip.

If it were just one person who did this, it'd block just half the aisle and you could just shoot around them, but Costco seems to attract EVERYONE who does that. All at once. Usually on a Sunday because for some reason that's what people do here after church.
What is the everloving deal with people who lay on their carts like that??

Just got back from a cruise. They have a big food court/ buffet called the Lido. That effing thing needs signs. Don't stop in the middle of the walkway to peer at the rolls. Kindly step over to the counter & peruse the rolls. If you come across a pal in said Lido, Don't stop in the middle of the walkway to hug and shriek in joy , kindly step to the side??? And if I am carrying a full plate of food and you stop suddenly, well it's on you. Literally. Don't expect an apology, in fact get in line & get me more lasagna, will you, moron?
Old 01-27-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
What is the everloving deal with people who lay on their carts like that??

Bad backs. Leaning heavily over the cart is one of the most evident signs of lower back pain and stenosis, exacerbated by standing so long in huge warehouses. It was of the first things my orthopedist asked me if I did when narrowing in on my back problem. I've seen other people on the board here mention it, too. Not that it's acceptable to do in the middle of the aisle.

Last edited by needscoffee; 01-27-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Reminds me of an incident at the store: Two women exiting the place, both with full shopping carts, block the entire entrance to the ramp leading out of the store. They apparently haven't seen each other in about five years, and stand there talking for about five minutes, catching up on everything, while I'm watching them and thinking "If there's a fire here, it's going to get nasty." Finally, I walk past the four people trying to get out of the store via the ramp, go up to one of the women and say "Can you please stop blocking the ramp and let the other people get out?"
Old 01-28-2020, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
There's also the snowflake who is too special to exit the bus through the exit door like the common herd and insists on blocking the line of people trying to get in the entrance door, usually while it's raining/snowing/hot/cold outside.
In NJ, you are supposed to exit by the front door of the bus, so the driver can make sure you didn't get on for a one zone ride and go through three zones. Yet there are people who insist on going out the back door, which is supposedly only used for emergencies.

I hate the people who crowd the door to get on at a busy stop or even the terminal before the exiting people can get off the bus.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 01-28-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Brits wait ON line. Or on queue.
Uhhh, we do? We wait IN line or we queue. And we tut and slightly shake our heads at people who don't. Though we do have our fair share of obliviots.

We do walk past on whichever side suits us at the time though, so if you come over here, please don't pick people up if they're walking towards you, that's not polite, just walk round them and slightly frown if necessary.

I think the most egregious example of self-entitled obliviousness I've come across was driving; the street where I used to live had a little side road, on which everyone parked as it was inner city, which was just wide enough for one car to drive down the middle if both sides were full of parked cars, which they usually were. There was a teeny turning area at the end, in which it was possible, with care, for 2 cars to squeak past each other and turn if someone parked under the 'turning area, no parking' sign, which happened an annoying amount. I was just heading out one morning, with another car in front of me (we'd just squeezed round each other turning at the end, as some eejit had parked there), when a third car turned in to the street. So... single lane dead-end road, with 2 cars coming towards him, the only space for two cars to pass was just behind him, the obvious thing to do is... gesture at the front car to back up, right?
Yep.

After a few minutes of head shaking and gesturing back at him, the lady in front got out her car and walked over to talk to him. Discussion happened. She then walked back to me and told me 'He said he's not moving, he wants us to both back up'. I pointed out that there wasn't space for three cars in the turning space, with one car already parked there. She confirmed she'd already told him that, he said he didn't care. He continued to sit there for a full 15 minutes, glaring at both of us for refusing to break the laws of physics.

I turned my car off after 5. He finally backed down and backed up the 10 meters required when I pulled a book out and started reading...
Old 01-28-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Reminds me of an incident at the store: Two women exiting the place, both with full shopping carts, block the entire entrance to the ramp leading out of the store. They apparently haven't seen each other in about five years, and stand there talking for about five minutes, catching up on everything, while I'm watching them and thinking "If there's a fire here, it's going to get nasty." Finally, I walk past the four people trying to get out of the store via the ramp, go up to one of the women and say "Can you please stop blocking the ramp and let the other people get out?"
So you're saying that 4 people just stood there silently for minutes on end without asking the women to please move aside?

4 New Jersey people?
Old 01-28-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bean View Post
So you're saying that 4 people just stood there silently for minutes on end without asking the women to please move aside?

4 New Jersey people?
Her stories should only be taken for entertainment value rather than any reflection of reality. The only thing this lacked from her usual was a witty comment that resulted in the entire store breaking out in applause.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
Her stories should only be taken for entertainment value rather than any reflection of reality. The only thing this lacked from her usual was a witty comment that resulted in the entire store breaking out in applause.
Yeah, but thats like an Armageddon-sized plot hole right there.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
And if I am carrying a full plate of food and you stop suddenly, well it's on you. Literally. Don't expect an apology, in fact get in line & get me more lasagna, will you, moron?
Actually I think this is analogous to driving, where a following car should maintain proper clearance so they can handle a sudden stop without rear-ending the vehicle in front.

Once in Lowe's I was walking down the main corridor looking for an item and stopped to peer down an aisle. This nearly resulted in my being impaled by long sections of pipe in the shopping cart of the chucklehead who was following me way too closely. Both he and his equally dimwitted wife clucked in disapproval as if it was my fault.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

The behavior described by the OP is common in China. Frustratingly so. Even today my wife -- who is Chinese -- stopped suddenly outside the Costco exit to put on our daughter's coat. I had to gently admonish her, as always, to not stop in the flow of traffic and to get the hell out of the way.

It's not just escalators and door exits. They freaking do it on the road and expressway. I'm not sure where the idea of this comes from culturally. It has to be something more than selfishness, doesn't it?
Old 01-29-2020, 08:44 PM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

Today Diane Jennings, my favorite Youtuber, posted a new video featuring her alter ego Editor Diane complaining about all the things that annoy here. One of them is people who stop at the top or the bottom of the escalator. Here it is, queued up to the right spot.

The background is that she'd promised to post an Editor Diane video when she reached 100,000 subscribers. Despite (or perhaps because of) being surly and mean, Editor Diane is very popular with her followers.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I once had a friend who was a cop. When people didn't move out of his way, he would how them his badge and ask for their personal information to "run a search."

That got quite a few people moving, sometimes right out the door, very quickly.
[Checking] Yes, this is the Pit.

Cops who badge people like that are assholes. Like a thousand times worse that someone who is a bit oblivious and standing in someone's way.

Fuck that cop and his asinine display of chimp dominance behavior. He's the kind of person who becomes a cop because he likes to push people around.

Last edited by Saintly Loser; 01-29-2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:24 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

I only skimmed the thread so forgive me if somebody already said this and I missed it, but the spouse and I have a theory about the people who stop at the ends of stairs/escalators, just inside/outside doorways, or similar spots. We call it the "decision point theory" (his term). These people get to a spot where they have to make a decision about what to do (go forward, go left, go right, etc.) and it just freezes up their mental processors so they stop.

It's sort of related to the way a lot of people can't walk/shop/whatever in any kind of effective manner while talking on a cell phone. Overloaded processor.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
I only skimmed the thread so forgive me if somebody already said this and I missed it, but the spouse and I have a theory about the people who stop at the ends of stairs/escalators, just inside/outside doorways, or similar spots. We call it the "decision point theory" (his term). These people get to a spot where they have to make a decision about what to do (go forward, go left, go right, etc.) and it just freezes up their mental processors so they stop.

It's sort of related to the way a lot of people can't walk/shop/whatever in any kind of effective manner while talking on a cell phone. Overloaded processor.
I suspect you may be right. I'm quite SURE you are right about the old couple who stopped in the parking lot driveway, because I literally can't see any other reason TO stop in the entry to a parking lot. I could almost hear their thoughts, "My goodness, Edgar, so many cars! So many stores! So many parking spots! Why did we come here, again?"

The family in the OP, though, I got the impression that Dad wanted to address the troops about shopping opportunities and where they were going, and just chose a remarkably dumb place to DO it.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lichtman View Post
Today Diane Jennings, my favorite Youtuber, posted a new video featuring her alter ego Editor Diane complaining about all the things that annoy here. One of them is people who stop at the top or the bottom of the escalator. Here it is, queued up to the right spot.

The background is that she'd promised to post an Editor Diane video when she reached 100,000 subscribers. Despite (or perhaps because of) being surly and mean, Editor Diane is very popular with her followers.
Bolding mine. Was this intentional since we are talking about lines, in which case, sweet! Or did you just want to see if we are paying attention?

To the OP, this shit is indeed very annoying. I wonder if it's related to the doorway effect? I also wonder if the knowing about the doorway effect has given me confirmation bias about all the times I forget what I was doing when I walk through doorways. I know I use it as an excuse much of the time.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
The behavior described by the OP is common in China. Frustratingly so...
I'm not sure where the idea of this comes from culturally. It has to be something more than selfishness, doesn't it?
It's very common in Thailand. The worst example that comes to mind is the time someone parked behind me making it impossible for me to move my car, despite that parking places without that drawback were readily available. (I'll guess he thought I was an employee of the nearby car dealer and assumed I wouldn't want to move my car until the 5pm quitting time.)

That driver had locked his car, and gone in someone else's car to run an errand in another city! Fortunately, someone had his phone number and he came back in 20 minutes or so to let me out. I'm not sure if they completed their errand, or turned around just for me.

The big difference with OP, however, is that in Thailand the offender will always be friendly and apologetic. The very rude response shown in OP is much worse than the initial carelessness. And, BTW, the example above and others occurred many years ago. Here in upcountry Thailand the recent improvement in some behavior has been quite striking.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:01 AM

This is perhaps one of too much politeness resulting in problems. I recently saw the Monet exhibit in Denver. Sure, there were people doing random walks as they swung their heavy bags into everybody around them, but that's not why I'm telling the story.

It was a crowded exhibit, and as is appropriate, people walked through it slowly looking at all the paintings. To be polite (maybe?), people would stand away from the paintings towards the middle of the room. The problem with this behavior is it meant the only walking path through the room was between the people looking at the paintings and the paintings. If people had just all taken a step or two towards what they were looking at, then there would have been plenty of space to walk through the middle of the rooms and not directly in front of the art.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

My fave, posted many times on these boards, is the clueless people who use the indoor running track at our gym for a casual stroll side by side--bonus points if they go the wrong direction.

It's a two lane track with clear signage indicating walkers and slow runners go on the inside, faster runners on the outside, and which direction to run in each day of the week. In colder months I'm running there every day.

Occasionally a pair of middle aged women will go there to have a friendly chat while walking side by side blocking the whole track.
I give them a lap or two with a polite "excuse me" to see if they are paying attention. After a few nice laps like that, if they continue blocking the way, I will squeeze right on by with no cares about how much of my sweat gets slathered on them.

Fortunately this really is a rare event. Most people get it after the first "excuse me" and pay attention to who is coming up behind them and politely move to the side.
Quote:
[...]Until the fellow slowly turned left into the shopping center. All right. He was slow. That was okay. I turned left behind him, to get into the same shopping center.

And then just inside the entrance... he stopped cold. So many cars! So much space! Where to park? What to DO? BRAIN... LOCKING... UP....

And behind him, I was sitting in the middle of the LEFT LANE OF TRAFFIC, with cars in the distance barreling towards me. So I honked at him.

They did not move their vehicle. Instead, they both craned their necks around to stare at the rude youngster who drove with his horn.

I leaned on the horn and screamed at them, "YOU HAVE LEFT ME IN THE MIDDLE OF TRAFFIC, YOU STUPID %#$@#*! MOVE YOUR &%#$@# CAR BEFORE THE TRAFFIC GETS HERE!"
[...]
This particular trap (left hand turn into a parking lot behind someone who stops) is a fairly new addition to my own defensive driving toolkit.
The problem is that there are so many valid reasons why someone might stop in the entrance.

Examples: There could be a car pulling out of a spot that they want, and they are waiting for it (still rude to block entrance).
There could be car coming from the side that is not visible to you.
There could be an obstruction in the pavement that makes them go extra cautiously.
They could have seen squirrel run in front of them.
Their car could have stalled.

There is a shopping center near my house that has multiple issues with their entrance: it has bushes on the side of the entrance that obscure the view beyond; it has a lane of traffic running across just past the bush line; and the main road surface outside the lot was paved a couple of inches too low, leaving a 3 inch cliff going into the lot. Any one of those three is enough to cause a left turner to slow down dramatically or stop, often leaving the guy behind them hanging.

Don't get me wrong: your guy probably stopped because he was clueless (Occam's Razor), but until I recognized how The Trap works, I never thought to watch out for it. Nowadays I am wary of being the blocker as well as the blockee.