Old 07-13-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps View Post
The interesting thing to me was that (as in the prior Russian indictment) Rosenstein said "There is no allegation in the indictment that any American participated knowingly in the GRU cyberattacks".

It's possible that there's nothing more than the literal words - that there's nothing in the indictment about any Americans knowingly participating - but it certainly suggests that they don't really think any Americans actually did, or there would be no real reason to stress this. And if this is the correct interpretation, then this is something of a development, because the hacking and dissemination of DNC emails was one of the most promising (such as it was) prospects for collusion.

Ignoring, of course, the Americans who have already pleaded guilty to similar charges and those who are still under investigation.

Because we all know that American Justice requires that EVERYONE involved be charged with the same thing at the same time.

If this is the straw you're grasping at, you've drowned.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Ignoring, of course, the Americans who have already pleaded guilty to similar charges and those who are still under investigation.

Because we all know that American Justice requires that EVERYONE involved be charged with the same thing at the same time.

It was actually in 'this' indictment that was continually said.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
C'mon now - PantsOnHead asked Putin twice if he was behind it, and he denied it both times. What more could you ask for?
And I am pretty sure Putin did the whole "cross my heart and hope to die" thing....
Old 07-13-2018, 02:11 PM

If Trump comes out of the meeting with Putin missing his watch or wedding ring and claims he gave it to Vlad as a token of friendship, that probably means Putin outright stole it. There’s precedent

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/p...per-bowl-ring/

And the Russia apologists should take note of stuff like this, the man may have money, power and nukes buts he’s still capable of being a straight up common criminal.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
July 27th, 2016, morning: "Russia, if you're listening I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing"

July 27th, 2016: "for example, on or about July 27th, 2016, the conspirators attempted after hours to spearphish for the first time email accounts at a domain hosted by a third-party provider and used by Clintons personal office. At or around the same time, they also targeted 76 email addresses at the domain for the Clinton campaign."
I honestly think that his best defense is to say, "Do you really think that I'd be that stupid?" Of course the answer is yes, but it does give me pause that someone could possibly be this stupid.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandWino View Post
The indictment does say that Guccifer passed along information to campaign members (plural).

If I were Roger Stone (and I'm guessing Steve Bannon/Jared Kushner/Brad Parscale) that would make me very very nervous.
Here's something else I found interesting from paragraph 43 a) of the indictment (pages 15-16 of the indictment PDF) :

"On or about August 15, 2016, the Conspirators, posing as Guccifer 2.0, received a request for stolen documents from a candidate for the U.S. Congress. The Conspirators responded using the Guccifer 2.0 persona and sent the candidate stolen document's related to the candidate's opponent."

Last edited by asahi; 07-13-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Coming one day after the GOP's despicable behavior...
That doesn't narrow it down much.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:00 PM

I found this buried in a story about Alexander Vinnik, a Russian bit-coin dude who is being extradited from Greece to France, over the objections of the Russian government; a Greek court okayed the transfer.
Quote:
The ruling was made a day after Greek authorities confirmed that two Russian diplomats were being expelled for allegedly providing protest funding in an attempt to keep neighbor Macedonia from joining NATO.
I'm pretty sure it's related to the Mueller investigation, if only for it's origin.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-13-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Here's something else I found interesting from paragraph 43 a) of the indictment (pages 15-16 of the indictment PDF) :

"On or about August 15, 2016, the Conspirators, posing as Guccifer 2.0, received a request for stolen documents from a candidate for the U.S. Congress. The Conspirators responded using the Guccifer 2.0 persona and sent the candidate stolen document's related to the candidate's opponent."
My bold.

Are you honestly going to tell me that whoever wrote/typed up this momentous government document actually used an apostrophe to create a plural???

A mistake that monumental threatens to invalidate the entire Mueller investigation!

Seriously, asahi, is that mistake in the original or did you re-type instead of copy/pasting. I hope for the sake of our country's future that it's the former.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Interesting. A footnote in the indictments references a "Congressional candidate" who requested the stolen documents from Guccifer 2.0, on or about 8.15.2016.

https://twitter.com/peterjhasson/sta...400706052?s=19
My money's on Chaffetz. I suspect he contacted "Guccifer 2.0" looking for a smoking gun from Hillary, which is why he bailed hard and fast on May 18, 2017 (just one day precisely after Mueller was appointed Special Council).

You'll recall, of course, that "Guccifer 2.0" is the online persona that was a front for the Fancy Bear group, a cyber-espionage team run by the GRU, Russia's military intelligence department.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
My bold.

Are you honestly going to tell me that whoever wrote/typed up this momentous government document actually used an apostrophe to create a plural???

A mistake that monumental threatens to invalidate the entire Mueller investigation!

Seriously, asahi, is that mistake in the original or did you re-type instead of copy/pasting. I hope for the sake of our country's future that it's the former.
LOL, mistake copying. I tried to use the copy/paste feature...

ETA: To add insult to injury, I was ninja'd by JohnT anyway

Last edited by asahi; 07-13-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Quote:
My bold.

Thelma, you can see a the relevant part in a snippet from this jpg here, twitted by Peter J. Hasson -

https://twitter.com/peterjhasson/sta...05935400706052

There is no apostrophe in the actual indictment. The mistake was asahi's. Mueller has his shit nailed down.

Quote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/u...dccc.html?_r=0

Hacked material was used in various House races. At first the hackers just released a lot of personal information, which was used by hostile individuals to harass and threaten the candidates. Then the hacks and dumps by the person or group known as Guccifer 2.0 became more sophisticated and targeted certain close races, releasing politically valuable tactical information:
The seats that Guccifer 2.0 targeted in the document dumps were hardly random: They were some of the most competitive House races in the country. In [Annette] Taddeo’s district [in Florida], the House seat is held by a Republican, even though the district leans Democratic and Mrs. Clinton won it this year by a large majority.

To prepare for the race, the D.C.C.C. had done candid evaluations of the two candidates vying in the primary for the nomination. Those inside documents, bluntly describing each candidate’s weaknesses, are considered routine research inside political campaigns. But suddenly they were being aired in public.
Taddeo lost her primary race to another Democrat named Joe Garcia who used the hacked material against her. And then this happened:

After Mr. Garcia defeated Ms. Taddeo in the primary using the material unearthed in the hacking, the National Republican Campaign Committee and a second Republican group with ties to the House speaker, Paul Ryan, turned to the hacked material to attack him.

In Florida, Guccifer 2.0’s most important partner was an obscure political website run by an anonymous blogger called HelloFLA!, run by a former Florida legislative aide turned Republican lobbyist. The blogger sent direct messages via Twitter to Guccifer 2.0 asking for copies of any additional Florida documents.
By September, the hacker had released documents in close House races in Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Ohio, Illinois and North Carolina, working with Republican bloggers who disseminated the information for them. They also posted information on Rep. Ben Ray Luján, D-N.M., the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee chair, even though he was effectively running unopposed.

Both Luján and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi wrote letters to Ryan asking him not to use the material and received no response. His spokeswoman told the Times that Ryan had no control over how the stolen information was used. Nonetheless, there were some Republicans who refused to do so, saying it was inappropriate. They were rare.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

nm

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 07-13-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:22 PM

I'd like to draw everyone's attention to this tweet thread from Seth Abramson -

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/sta...32351223701505

Seth Abramson

Verified account

@SethAbramson

(IMPORTANT) Trump and his allies have been saying for a year that the June 2016 Trump Tower meeting didn't matter because "nothing came of it." That's now proven false: Russia said it would give Trump Jr. Clinton "dirt" on June 9—and it launched "DCLeaks" for *that day* to do so.

Who is DCLeaks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki

DCLeaks (also known as DC Leaks) is a website that was established in June 2016. Since its creation, it has been responsible for publishing leaks of emails belonging to multiple prominent figures in the United States government and military. Cybersecurity research firms say the site is a front for the Russian cyber-espionage group Fancy Bear. On July 13th, 2018, an indictment was made against 12 Russian GRU military officers; it alleges that DC Leaks is part of a Russian military operation.

Last edited by Merneith; 07-13-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
This is, literally, the #1 talking point for all the bots on Twitter. Amazing to see it pop up here so quickly.

Seriously ...
Amazing, or fucking SUSPICIOUS?????
Old 07-13-2018, 03:27 PM

My apologies if it's already been mentioned, but I also found paragraph 70 pretty interesting (well, scary actually): Russia operatives have officially been charged with trying to hack into voter systems in an attempt to steal voter data. According to the indictment, they stole information on approximately 500,000 voters. It doesn't say where voters were from, but it goes on to say that they tested voting systems in Georgia, Iowa, and Florida for vulnerabilities.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
July 27th, 2016, morning: "Russia, if you're listening I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing"

July 27th, 2016: "for example, on or about July 27th, 2016, the conspirators attempted after hours to spearphish for the first time email accounts at a domain hosted by a third-party provider and used by Clintons personal office. At or around the same time, they also targeted 76 email addresses at the domain for the Clinton campaign."
Trump described the contents of the emails released by Wikileaks as disqualifying Hillary Clinton from the presidency. Trump used Wikileaks as proof to his claims that she was corrupt and the system was corrupt — both the political system and the media. (The media, Trump insisted, would not cover Wikileaks.)

Trump encouraged his supporters to read Wikileaks. He delighted in each new release. He marveled at the damage Wikileaks was doing to her campaign.
Wikileaks, in short, was a core part of Trump’s closing argument against Hillary Clinton.

Trump spoke about the Wikileaks emails at least 164 times from October 10 to election day, saying the word Wikileaks 124 times. That means, on average, Trump discussed Wikileaks more than five times per day.

Here is a sampling:

Trump to Bill O’Reilly: “Wikileaks is amazing”
The problem is, Bill, I would hammer it, but the press doesn’t pick it up. The press is hardly even talking about Wikileaks. You now that. Wikileaks is amazing. The stuff that’s coming out, it shows she’s a real liar. She said, well, you have to say to the public and you have to say to your donors different things. Okay? The press doesn’t even pick this stuff up. You look at, where are you seeing it? [10/11/16]

Trump: “Wikileaks, some new stuff, some brutal stuff”
We have all of these new charges, did you see it just came down today? Wikileaks, some new stuff, some brutal stuff. I mean I’d read it to you but to hell with it trust me it’s real bad stuff. The speech transcripts contain scandalous revelations about Hillary Clinton that disqualify her from seeking public office. And she is. [10/10/16]

Trump says Wikileaks proves Clinton should not “be able to run for president”
No one who supports open borders should be able to run for president because we won’t have a country. And buy the way weeks ago I called out Hillary Clinton for supporting open borders and the media said I was wrong. Now I’ve been proven right. Where is the media rushing to correct these false stories? Because in the Wikileaks it was all about open borders. [10/10/16]

Trump: “Wikileaks. I love Wikileaks”
Wikileaks, I love Wikileaks. And I said write a couple of them down. Let’s see. During a speech crooked Hillary Clinton, oh she’s crooked folks. She’s crooked as a three-dollar bill. Okay here’s one. Just came out. ‘Lock her up’ is right. [10/10/16]

Trump: “You see so much from these Wikileaks. You see so much. There’s so much.”
It’s just the latest evidence of the hatred that the Clinton campaign really has for everyday Americans and you see, and you see so much from these Wikileaks. You see so much. There’s so much. [10/11/16]

Trump: “I’ll tell you this Wikileaks stuff is unbelievable…you gotta read it.”
I’ll tell you this Wikileaks stuff is unbelievable. It tells you the inner heart, you gotta read it and you gotta maybe get it because they’re not putting it out. They want to put it out but they can’t do that because without the media and without the press Hillary Clinton would be nothing. She’d be nothing. Zero. [10/12/16]

Trump: “One of the big advantages of me having a rather large microphone… is that I can talk about Wikileaks”
And one of the big advantages of me having a rather large microphone, and meaning a lot of people are listening, is that I can talk about Wikileaks and we are live, it’s amazing. Boom boom boom. I think they are just turning them all off. Watch, you go home, they’ll say, ‘why did it end so abruptly?’ [10/12/16]

Trump: “You hear this? Wikileaks. Big stuff but the press does not report it”
You hear this? Wikileaks. Big stuff but the press does not report it because honestly without the press, without the media, Hillary Clinton is nothing. She’s nothing okay? She’s nothing. [10/12/16]

Trump: Wikileaks reveals Clinton would be “the most corrupt person ever elected to high office”
She would be the most dishonest and the most corrupt person ever elected to high office. The Wikileaks emails show the Department of Justice fed information to Clinton, now think of this. She is under investigation. [10/12/16]

Trump: Wikileaks reveals “the massive international corruption of the Clinton machine”
And so now we address the slander and libels that was just last night thrown at me by the Clinton machine and New York Times and other media outlets as part of a concerted, coordinated, and vicious attack. It’s not coincidence that these attacks come at the exact same moment and altogether at the same time as Wikileaks releases documents exposing the massive international corruption of the Clinton machine, including 2,000 more emails just this morning. [10/13/16]

Trump: “The sad part is we don’t talk about Wikileaks because it’s incredible.”
The sad part is we don’t talk about Wikileaks because it’s incredible. But Wikileaks just came out with a lot of new ones. And it would be wonderful if these very dishonest people back there would talk about it. It would be wonderful. It would be wonderful. [10/13/16]

Trump: “Wikileaks unveils horrible, horrible things about Hillary Clinton”
It’s a total setup. Now suddenly after many, many years, phony accusers come out less than a month before one of the most important elections in the history of our country. It also comes at a time as Wikileaks unveils horrible, horrible things about Hillary Clinton but they’d rather talk about this. [10/14/16]

Trump on Wikileaks: “There’s bad, bad stuff [the media is] not covering”
The Hillary Clinton documents released by Wikileaks make more clear than ever, and they don’t cover them the way they’re supposed to be covering. There’s bad, bad stuff they’re not covering. [10/15/16]

Trump: “Wikileaks came out with lots of really unbelievable things”
And by the way, Wikileaks came out with lots of really unbelievable things. Just minutes ago. In fact, I almost delayed this speech by about two hours, it’s so interesting. But I decided you’re more important than anybody, okay? It’s all a big, beautiful fraud. [10/15/16]

Trump: The media “will not talk about Wikileaks”
The media is an extension of the Clinton campaign as Wikileaks has proven, and they will not talk about Wikileaks. [10/17/16]

Trump: “Boy, that Wikileaks has done a job on her, hasn’t it?”
I said open border, and she, open border, I don’t want open border but she, turned out she wanted open borders. Boy, that Wikileaks has done a job on her, hasn’t it? [10/20/16]

Trump: “We’ve learned so much from Wikileaks”
“We’ve learned so much from Wikileaks. For example, Hillary believes it’s vital to deceive the people by having one public policy — [ booing ] — And a totally different policy in private. That’s okay. [10/20/16]

Trump: “We love Wikileaks. Wikileaks.”
We love Wikileaks. Wikileaks. They have revealed a lot. They’ve revealed that there is a great hostility toward Catholics. They reveal a great hostility toward Evangelicals. [10/21/16]

Trump: “A terrible Wikileaks was released just moments ago… you’ll be sickened by it”
A terrible Wikileaks was just released moments ago, which you’ll go home, you’ll see it, and you’ll be sickened by it and that she can get away with what she’s getting away with. [10/25/16]

Trump: “Wikileaks revelations have exposed criminal corruption at the highest levels of our government”
The Wikileaks revelations have exposed criminal corruption at the highest levels of our government. [10/29/16]

Trump: Wikileaks show “a rigged system with more collusion, probably illegal”
Out today, Wikileaks just came out with a new one just a little while ago it’s just been shown that a rigged system with more collusion, probably illegal, between the Department of Justice the Clinton campaign and the State Department, you saw that. The emails show that the assistant attorney general who’s involved in the investigation has been feeding information directly to John Podesta and the Clinton campaign, can you believe that. She shouldn’t be allowed to run. [11/02/16]

Trump: Wikileaks revealed Clinton was “completely jeopardizing the national security of the United States”
Just today we learned Hillary Clinton was sending highly-classified information through her maid. Did you see? Just came out a little while ago. Who, therefore, had total access to this information, completely jeopardizing the national security of the United States. This just came out, Wikileaks. We need a government that can go to work on day one for the American people. That will be impossible with Hillary Clinton, the prime suspect in a far-reaching criminal investigation. [11/05/16]
Old 07-13-2018, 03:32 PM

And ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kxG8uJUsWU

“Russia, if you’re listening — I hope you are able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing,”
“I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press. Let’s see if that happens.”

July 27, 2016

Then-candidate Donald Trump encouraged Russian hackers to go after Hillary Clinton.

And they started, on that day - if they hadn't already.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:55 PM

It's probably already been linked, but for anyone wishing to read all 29 pages of the indictment, here's a .pdf link: Mueller Indictment of 12 Russian Hackers. I think everyone should read it. Lays out Mueller's case pretty well.

Side note: Any Bernie Bro who thinks they weren't manipulated by Russians should pay especial attention to Page 18. (I'm not going to retype it and risk an asahi moment.)

I also appreciated the numerous instances where the indictment referenced Conspirators, "together with persons known and unknown to the Grand Jury..."

Definitely more coming. I do hope sooner rather than later.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

I agree. Last thing we need are more Asahi moment's.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
Side note: Any Bernie Bro who thinks they weren't manipulated by Russians should pay especial attention to Page 18. (I'm not going to retype it and risk an asahi moment.)
You mean this?
Quote:
48. On or about July 22, 2016, Organization 1 released over 20,000 emails and other
documents stolen from the DNC network by the Conspirators. This release occurred
approximately three days before the start of the Democratic National Convention. Organization 1
did not disclose Guccifer 2.0's role in providing them. The latest-in-time email released through
Organization 1 was dated on or about May 25, 2016, approximately the same day the Conspirators
hacked the DNC Microsoft Exchange Server.
Just need to open the document in Acrobat and run it through OCR.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
LOL, mistake copying. I tried to use the copy/paste feature...

ETA: To add insult to injury, I was ninja'd by JohnT anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merneith View Post
Thelma, you can see a the relevant part in a snippet from this jpg here, twitted by Peter J. Hasson -

https://twitter.com/peterjhasson/sta...05935400706052

There is no apostrophe in the actual indictment. The mistake was asahi's. Mueller has his shit nailed down.
WHEW!

<Puts away the smelling salts>

It's all good. Go, Bobby, go!
Old 07-13-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
You mean this?

Just need to open the document in Acrobat and run it through OCR.
I'm not great with Acrobat converstions, I'm afraid. You lost me at OCR, although I do know what it stands for.

I meant this part (it actually starts on page 17 and I'll type it out):

Quote:
a. On or about June 22, 2016, Organization 1 sent a private message to Guccifer 2.0 to "[s]end any new material [stolen from the DNC] here for us to review and it will have a much higher impact than what you are doing." On or about July 6, 2016, Organization 1 added, "if you have anything hillary related we want it in the next tweo (sic) days prefable (sic) because the DNC [Democratic National Convention] is approaching and she will solidify bernie supporters behind her after." The Conspirators responded, "ok . . . i see." Organization 1 explained, "we think trump has only a 25% chance of winning against hillary . . . so conflict between bernie and hillary is interesting."
The point being, it was very much a goal of the Russians to exploit the division between Bernie and Hillary. It was one of the first things I noticed that was really off during the election.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
I'm not great with Acrobat converstions, I'm afraid. You lost me at OCR, although I do know what it stands for.
It's one of the tools in Acrobat Pro, converts an entire PDF image to text. Which then can be copy/pasted.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:42 PM

Missed the edit window:

I wanted to clarify that I wasn't disparaging asahi with my comment. His was an easy enough mistake to make, and there are surely many misplaced apostrophes on this board. I genuinely meant I didn't want to risk making a similar mistake in typing out that particular text in the indictment. It's a little torturous.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
It's one of the tools in Acrobat Pro, converts an entire PDF image to text. Which then can be copy/pasted.
Yeah, I only have the free Reader version. I don't generally have a use for Acrobat Pro. I think there are some free OCR software packages out there, but I can't be bothered.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt View Post
i agree. Last thing we need are more asahi moment's.
iswydt
Old 07-13-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Russia will attack America's elections process again. Intelligence officials, journalists, and the Democrats will protest, while the Republican kleptocrats will invite Russia to hack away and try to cover it up afterwards.

And if Republicans lose, you can expect them to turnaround and disingenuously use Russian meddling, which they now want, as an excuse to invalidate the election results, and they will foment a constitutional crisis.
Russia could just cause a wide-spread electrical grid shut down on November 6, and it doesn't matter what the election results are. The whole thing would end up with Trump saying he won the election.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:38 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
Russia could just cause a wide-spread electrical grid shut down on November 6, and it doesn't matter what the election results are. The whole thing would end up with Trump saying he won the election.
Or the election could be decided by Colorado, Oregon and Washington (the three states which conduct elections only by mail). Wouldn't look good for CFSG, but I for one am willing to (have him) make the sacrifice.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Server history...

DNC: Hacked
GOP: Hacked
Clinton email: Not Hacked
Old 07-13-2018, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Coincidences, I'm sure:

Apr 19, 2016 - DCLeaks domain registered by Russians
Apr 19, 2016 - Manafort takes over Trump campaign

Jun 8, 2016 - DCLeaks launches
Jun 9, 2016 - Trump Tower Meeting

Jul 27, 2016 - Trump asks Russia to hack Clinton
Jul 27, 2016 - Russia starts hacking Clinton

(Note they didn't get Hillary's email, but got the GOP's and DNC's. Note they only released the DNC's. Note that whatever was in the GOP emails is still useful as blackmail material. Note that a group of GOP senators spent the 4th in Russia. Note that the GOP has been attacking and obstructing justice as much as they can.)

The GOP is no longer a political party, but a criminal gang working against American interests.

And sexual assaulters and pedophiles. Let's not forget that.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Thinking Jared's gonna pull a Meyer Lansky on us?
Old 07-13-2018, 06:37 PM

Hoping for an R. Budd Dwyer myself.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:49 PM

I did it myself. I looked at Faux news' site to see how they're reporting/prioritizing the reporting of these latest indictments.
On the homepage real big:
Americans divided over ICE...
(scroll down and there's 2 stories side by side...)
Strozk testimony stuff and RESTAURANT BRAWL 4 women wanted
(scroll down for more ...)
Meghan Mccain Joy Behar blah blah, and Paul Ryan/woodchuck story. (don't ask me.)
(lower still...)
University refuses to apologize for desecrated, anti-trump american flag
(then...)
Lea Michele honors Cory Monteith with emotional tribute...
(And Here We Have It!...)
DOJ indicts Russian intel firm for Hillary hack.

Hey, they even got her fucking name in there!

Last edited by bobot; 07-13-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Appreciate you taking one for the team. #Respect

Last edited by JohnT; 07-13-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I did it myself. I looked at Faux news' site to see how they're reporting/prioritizing the reporting of these latest indictments.
On the homepage real big:
Americans divided over ICE...
(scroll down and there's 2 stories side by side...)
Strozk testimony stuff and RESTAURANT BRAWL 4 women wanted
(scroll down for more ...)
Meghan Mccain Joy Behar blah blah, and Paul Ryan/woodchuck story. (don't ask me.)
(lower still...)
University refuses to apologize for desecrated, anti-trump american flag
(then...)
Lea Michele honors Cory Monteith with emotional tribute...
(And Here We Have It!...)
DOJ indicts Russian intel firm for Hillary hack.

Hey, they even got her fucking name in there!
Quote:
Appreciate you taking one for the team. #Respect
Ditto that!
Old 07-13-2018, 08:09 PM

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...achment-719816

Quote:
House conservatives are preparing a new push to oust Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, according to three conservative Capitol Hill sources — putting the finishing touches on an impeachment filing even as Rosenstein announced the indictment of 12 Russian intelligence officers for interfering in the 2016 election.
Here we go, folks.

The Constitution, the rule of law, and American democracy are about to be all on the line. We're approaching the Rubicon.

Do we cross it?
Old 07-13-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Server history...

DNC: Hacked
GOP: Hacked
Clinton email: Not Hacked
So, you're insinuating here something insane such as that 'facts matter'......?

Thread on my books (inexpensive gifts!) https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=866609
Old 07-13-2018, 08:44 PM

I thought y'all might be interested in this AP story about the hacks; it's got some good details.
Quote:
On Friday, the U.S. special counsel said Katenberg was an alias used by Lt. Aleksey Lukashev, an email phishing specialist with Unit 26165 of Russia’s Main Intelligence Directorate, often abbreviated GRU.

Katenberg, who did not return multiple messages seeking comment, has been in The Associated Press’ sights ever since his email was identified among a massive hacker hit list handed to the news agency by Secureworks last year.

It was that 19,000-line database that allowed the AP to reconstruct Katenberg’s digital movements, logging every malicious link he and his colleagues created between March 2015 and May 2016.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Jun 8, 2016 - DCLeaks launches
Jun 9, 2016 - Trump Tower Meeting
This part right here looks a lot like getting a live demo ready for a pitch in the the online marketing biz.

Last edited by Lance Turbo; 07-13-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post

Paragraphs 43 and 44 of the indictment specifically mention Americans who requested and/or received some of the stolen information directly from the indicted Russians. 44 in particular describes "a person who was in regular contact with senior members of the Presidential campaign of Donald J. Trump". It seems to be widely believed, at least in the press reports I've read, that this person was Roger Stone. I guess we'll see in due time whether this is accurate.

It seems, strictly speaking, that the persons mentioned did not in fact knowingly participate in the hacks themselves; I've got to think, however, that requesting and knowingly receiving stolen information directly from the hackers may still present a legal issue or two. I'm happy to stand corrected by someone with a legal background if this is not the case.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 07-13-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:02 AM

The Congressman who was asking Guccifer for stolen goods makes me feel like making this point:

Let us trust that this congressman believed that he was speaking to a lone, citizen Romanian. Let us say that he believed that the Romanian was just someone like Anonymous with his own agenda that was fulfilled by handing the material over. There was no reason to expect a quid pro quo, it was just free goods from some crazy dude on the Internet.

But now let's envision that we are running the election for a new Chief for the city fire department.

Would you elect a fireman who was known to hang out with arsonists? Would you elect a fireman who, even jokingly, called out that some arsonist should go and burn down his opponent's home? If you would, then you are nothing short of a moron. Even if you vote for him only because you believe that his opponent is himself an actual active arsonist - then you're still an idiot. Don't vote for either of those fuckers. Write a name in, abstain, or move to somewhere else. You don't hire a firefighter who doesn't seem to give a shit about fighting fires, and you should do everything in your power to avoid doing so.

Defending the United States of America, it is fair to say - and I don't think you have to have an IQ over 100 to understand - is sort of a job requirement for a Congressman, a Supreme Court Justice, and the President. It's not the only thing they do, but it's still a pretty damn vital aspect of the job.

Let's say that as a citizen, you believe that Edward Snowden was a hero. The instant you join or decide to join the US government, you should have no other position than, "Edward Snowden should go to jail." There is no wiggle room on that. Your job is to ensure that the law is followed and that national security designations like "Top Secret" are meaningful. It is clearly not viable for the military to operate or for diplomats to function if there are no secrets. The country would collapse immediately. The clear weight of governmental necessity leaves no room for personal morality when it is your job to be one of the members of the government. That doesn't mean you can't work within the government to effect change or maybe even leak the occasional carefully selected and redacted document to the outside, but it does mean that you have to work to prosecute Edward Snowden, just as you have to defend every crook that comes through your office if you're the public defender. It's not a political thing, it's just the job description.

So if you are in the government or want to be one of those people, and you discover that people are hacking the government, the military, the political parties, the press, or whatever else and using that material to pervert the lawful, domestic processes of governance, your response cannot be, "Oh yeah!? Wow, I hope I can use that to my benefit!" Little Timmy, let me tell you, that's not what we call a patriot. If you're expecting that dude to represent you, then you really need to rethink that. There's only one person that guy is representing and that's either himself or Daddy Moneybags, and either of those two options you're fucked. And if you expect him to take care of national security - AKA keeping the country, your job, your family, etc. from being the chew toy of China, Russia, the UAE, or whoever else has the means and will to buy access - then I regret to say that you waited too long to stop huffing paint.

If you would rather vote for a criminal with your party politics than vote for the other team, you should never vote again. If you ever once complained about Crooked Hillary and then voted for one of these bastards, then you are a fucking chimp. And no, I voted for Johnson. See previous: If your option for fire Chief are an avowed arsonist or a guy whose every friend is an arsonist, don't vote for either one! And if you're too dumb to figure that out, do not vote. If you show yourself to be unable to drive safely, we take away your driver's license. If you can't follow this relatively clear and obvious point to not vote for people who have no interest in doing the job you are hiring them for, then you clearly do not have the ability to vote like a reasonable adult.

Maybe in everything else you are a wonderful person and wise and reasonable. There are brilliant people with debts up the wazoo, who can't drive a car, refuse to see a doctor, or otherwise have little personal areas of complete incompetence.

And I'll say this for Hillary supporters as well: Obama wasn't investigated for shit. The "racist" majority Republican Congress let that black man fix the economy, pass a health care overhaul, do a deal with Iran, etc. and yeah they had to do it all in ways that gave them plausible deniability, but you'll note that Congress can always tell the President to fuck himself. Trump tried to do some stuff for Russia unilaterally and they passed a law to force him to impose more sanctions. If they wanted to stop the Iran deal, they could have done so.

The Republican party launched 4+ investigations into Trump and worked with Rosenstein to set up the Special Counsel. Yeah, most of those have fallen into hell - but that's probably because they could let Mueller handle it.

No investigations into Obama.

Dozens of years of investigations into the Clintons. They passed the law against foreign donations that may take down Trump, because of their investigation into Clinton and Chinese campaign money.

To be sure, nothing was ever found. The Clintons are clean of everything but extreme shadiness. And, yeah, maybe smoke doesn't always mean fire and maybe Rob Porter would never have lain a hand on Hope Hicks, despite his history, but there's a hundred million Democrats in this country. If the only real world contender you can find for the office is Hillary Clinton, out of a hundred million people and blindness from 30 years of bilious, acrid smoke eating at your eyes, then that's just stupid. And if you bought the argument about smoke and fire and voted for her, well I hope you're more careful about your romantic partners.

You should also think about ducking out of this whole voting biz, cause that was some stupid shit.

(Not to imply that Johnson was some amazing alternative, but at least I tried for a goof over two crooks that are probably sell-outs to foreign interests.)
Old 07-14-2018, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

That is an awful lot of words to explain away your half-vote for Trump.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
WHEW!

<Puts away the smelling salts>

It's all good. Go, Bobby, go!
You kid but you know the Trumpets would be all over a misused apostrophe rendering the entire investigation and all of its indictments invalid like stink on shit.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
The ...
... that was some stupid shit.

(Not to imply that Johnson was some amazing alternative, but at least I tried for a goof over two crooks that are probably sell-outs to foreign interests.)
A lot of prattle there, Rat, just to say ... say what, actually? That half-a-vote for Trump is better than a full vote?
Old 07-14-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
QFT

I'm sure where there's smoke, you shouldn't be looking at the bunch of old rich white dudes holding tiki torches. Nope. Just at the lady who's been scaring the bejeezus out of them for over 20 years. I'm sure she's an arsonist. No doubt about it. Doesn't matter if there's no burning house. I mean, why would those friendly decrepit robber barons call the cops on her if she didn't do anything wrong? That never happens in America! Not to innocent people!

I'm sure she uses email, too. That just proves it.

Last edited by Great Antibob; 07-14-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
The ...
... that was some stupid shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
A lot of prattle there, Rat, just to say ... say what, actually? That half-a-vote for Trump is better than a full vote?
I'm looking at it as having had an opportunity of depriving the America-hating fuckstick of TWO votes, and choosing to deprive him of only ONE.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 07-14-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
No shit. So the Clintons were guilty of "extreme shadiness". What does that even mean? Because they've been smeared for a quarter century, that means there's something to it? It's like if you're on a plane and the choice is fish or steak- if you ask for lasagna you're not going to get it. Every election the choice is between two people with a chance to be president. Voting for someone with no chance voids your ability to defeat the greater evil, or in the past case, the greatest evil ever to inhabit the nation.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:30 AM
BANNED

Yawn

Quote:
The GOP is no longer a political party, but a criminal gang working against American interests.
So we have a blinding flash of the obvious here, sans the other half of the equation. Since when have BOTH political parties NOT been basically "criminal gangs" working towards their own selfish interests - most which are shared interestes they simply refuse to share?
Quote:
The Constitution, the rule of law, and American democracy are about to be all on the line. We're approaching the Rubicon.
Where do you get the idea this is something new or uniquely sinister? The only difference between this and dozens of other similar fiascos in the past is the overtly public nature of it due to modern communications and media. Far more serious, lethal and widespread political scandals have resulted in protracted wars, subversion and other nationalistic niceties. Everyone is in a tizzy about the simple fact that politicians finally realized they can use the Internet and it's widely diverse population of gullible idiots as dirty campaign tools. What's old is new again - same old shit.