Old 08-28-2019, 07:15 PM

Another thing to think about, it seems in most of this thread, everyone assumes that Ginsburg will stay in office right up until the moment she dies. Now granted, she does strike me as a workhorse that is dedicated to her job, but I was surprised to learn that Scalia was only the third Supreme Court Justice to ever die in office.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:24 PM

If she resigns while President Trump is still in office, I doubt the left will ever forgive her.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
If she resigns while President Trump is still in office, I doubt the left will ever forgive her.
As a loyal member of "the left," I hope she stays as long as she can. If she feels she has to resign for health or other personal reasons, I would certainly not think I had to "forgive her."
Old 08-28-2019, 09:43 PM

I've already not forgiven her for refusing to retire back when Obama held the White House & Democrats held the Senate.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:41 AM

I agree with pjacks. So at this point she better have the opposite of a DNR order, and every legal avenue should be taken, while she is hooked up to the machines and Trump is still in office, to insist that she “might get better” so we have to wait.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Another thing to think about, it seems in most of this thread, everyone assumes that Ginsburg will stay in office right up until the moment she dies. Now granted, she does strike me as a workhorse that is dedicated to her job, but I was surprised to learn that Scalia was only the third Supreme Court Justice to ever die in office.
I am pretty sure that even if she dies in office, her aides will still wheel her in and wiggle her arm and head every once in a while to confirm that she is alive.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
I am pretty sure that even if she dies in office, her aides will still wheel her in and wiggle her arm and head every once in a while to confirm that she is alive.
"Weekend at Ruthie's" I guess
Old 08-31-2019, 05:59 PM

Today RBG filmed an interview in connection with the National Book Festival. I watched some of it; she's clearly in great mental shape and I don't see much difference in her physical demeanor, either.

Quote:
When asked how she was feeling, Ginsburg quipped, "Well first, this audience can see that I am alive!"

The festival crowd cheered.
https://www.npr.org/2019/08/31/75629...-s-october-ter
Old 09-18-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Today RBG filmed an interview in connection with the National Book Festival. I watched some of it; she's clearly in great mental shape and I don't see much difference in her physical demeanor, either.

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/31/75629...-s-october-ter
Yes, but...

She's 85.

Admittedly my views on this are colored by the fact that I've become my 85-year-old father's caretaker.

And here's the thing. He too is a federal judge (district court), on inactive status. He is in no way competent to be a judge anymore.

He's exactly the same age as Justice Ginsberg (and, in fact, was in her class at Columbia Law, and knows her slightly). And I know there's no way he should be on the bench.

I really, really worry about the competence of anyone at that age. I worry about Bernie Sanders getting elected.

I know, there are exceptions, and RBG is probably one of them. But still...
Old 09-19-2019, 12:23 AM

Trial Court is significantly more difficult that Supreme Court for a judge.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
Yes, but...

She's 85.

Admittedly my views on this are colored by the fact that I've become my 85-year-old father's caretaker.

And here's the thing. He too is a federal judge (district court), on inactive status. He is in no way competent to be a judge anymore.

He's exactly the same age as Justice Ginsberg (and, in fact, was in her class at Columbia Law, and knows her slightly). And I know there's no way he should be on the bench.

I really, really worry about the competence of anyone at that age. I worry about Bernie Sanders getting elected.

I know, there are exceptions, and RBG is probably one of them. But still...

I agree with you about both cases but the weird politics of the SCOTUS require that we try to hang on. I really like the proposal to make terms 18 years long and have one be up every two years. This would also stop making presidents feel like they need to put really young people on the Court when someone more seasoned would be better.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
...I really like the proposal to make terms 18 years long and have one be up every two years. This would also stop making presidents feel like they need to put really young people on the Court when someone more seasoned would be better.
Boy, that really does sound like a good idea to me.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Let's not pretend that there was an actual rule here.
So he wouldn't be breaking a rule then … Nice
Old 09-19-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Trial Court is significantly more difficult that Supreme Court for a judge.
Lawyers and judges have told me that. It seems believable. District courts run all year - there's no term, like the Supreme Court. There's a lot more nuts and bolts and little stuff. Motions, conferences, telephone calls, etc, not to mention ongoing trials.

Nonetheless, I have concerns about 85-year-olds in incredibly important positions.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Bumping this. Justice Ginsberg missed arguments today due to what was described as a stomach bug. So, not a serious ailment, to the extent that anything can be described as "not serious" for an 85 year old.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 11-13-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Bumping this. Justice Ginsberg missed arguments today due to what was described as a stomach bug. So, not a serious ailment, to the extent that anything can be described as "not serious" for an 85 year old.

Regards,
Shodan
Wipe your chin, will ya? Your drool is shorting out my keyboard.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I’m much younger than Ginsberg, but I’ve had awful stomach bugs where I was running to the bathroom non stop. A day or two with Gatorade and bland food and I was fine.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
Wipe your chin, will ya? Your drool is shorting out my keyboard.
I am not sure if there is any other thread on the SDMB that causes such terror when it is bumped.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
I am not sure if there is any other thread on the SDMB that causes such terror when it is bumped.
I think it is the recognition that there is a real risk that Ginsberg will die or retire* while Trump is still President and the GOP controls the Senate. A 5-4 court is bad enough. A 6-3 court is something they don't even want to think about.

Regards,
Shodan

*OK, probably not retire. The only way she will leave the Court is feet-first. But she's 85, has had multiple bouts with cancer, and 85 year olds don't bounce back from even minor illness the way a younger person does.

I don't wish her any ill, but the title of this thread is a real question.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:10 PM

So you bumped this thread to wish Justice Ginsberg a full and speedy recovery?

Shodan, such a mensch!
Old 11-13-2019, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
Lawyers and judges have told me that. It seems believable. District courts run all year - there's no term, like the Supreme Court. There's a lot more nuts and bolts and little stuff. Motions, conferences, telephone calls, etc, not to mention ongoing trials.

Nonetheless, I have concerns about 85-year-olds in incredibly important positions.
I’ve got concerns about a 54-year old, a 52-year old, a 71-year old, a 69-year old, and a 64-year old in equally important positions.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:15 PM

I bet that's a great joke, totally worth clicking blind links for.

Last edited by CarnalK; 11-13-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:17 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
You know you can hover your mouse over links, and your browser will tell you where they go, right?

In this case, they're links to the wikipedia entries for the conservative justices on the court.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Is hovering over a link to see the URL before clicking through a prohibited practice in your world?
Old 11-13-2019, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
You know you can hover your mouse over links, and your browser will tell you where they go, right?

In this case, they're links to the wikipedia entries for the conservative justices on the court.
Gotta take issue with your sloppy use of the word “conservatives” there.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Is hovering over a link to see the URL before clicking through a prohibited practice in your world?
Yes, in my world phones don't have cursors to hover over things. Where are you from?
Old 11-13-2019, 04:26 PM

On my phone's browser, a long press opens up a context menu that lets me see the full link, copy it, share it, etc without actually going to wherever the link leads.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Yes, in my world phones don't have cursors to hover over things. Where are you from?
So long press the link. Your failure to learn how to use a device is not someone else's problem.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
On my phone's browser, a long press opens up a context menu that lets me see the full link, copy it, share it, etc without actually going to wherever the link leads.
On my phone too. You know what else my fucking phone does? It allows me to type out the actual names of the random people I want to list while making my brilliant jab at Shodan.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:34 PM

I'm starting to think this isn't about the links.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:42 PM

Correct. It's about an extremely lame joke being done in a ponderous manner.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Mr. CarnalK... SNL writers are on hold for you on line 5.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
thank god you're dragging it out then
Old 11-13-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
What browser? I can copy and share using chrome but the long press doesn't actually show me the link. That's a good idea actually. Feel like an idiot for not having thought of it before and seeking it out.

/Derail

Last edited by Personal; 11-13-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:21 PM

I use firefox focus mostly on my phone but the version of google chrome that I have also displays the link, though in chrome, I have to tap the link in the context menu to see the full url which is ugh.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:42 PM

Thank you for the tip
Old 11-14-2019, 02:36 PM

Seeing the news about Ginsburg missing arguments reminded me of a question I wanted to pose here.

How long would she have to hold out on her deathbed before confirmation could be forced to the next administration assuming the left could get four republicans to vote with them?

Obama nominated Merrick Garland on March 6 so that sets a baseline of about 8 months.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Gotta take issue with your sloppy use of the word “joke,” there.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 11-14-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:39 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
On my phone too. You know what else my fucking phone does? It allows me to type out the actual names of the random people I want to list while making my brilliant jab at Shodan.
It also lets you just type, "That's a lame joke," instead of whinging about blind links whose destination you already know.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Seeing the news about Ginsburg missing arguments reminded me of a question I wanted to pose here.

How long would she have to hold out on her deathbed before confirmation could be forced to the next administration assuming the left could get four republicans to vote with them?

Obama nominated Merrick Garland on March 6 so that sets a baseline of about 8 months.
I don't think that's the right baseline. Normally confirmation processes run for a few months, but in a rush, I suspect the Republicans could get it done in a few weeks, so ... she's got to hold out until, I don't know, sometime around New Year's Day 2021.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I don't think that's the right baseline. Normally confirmation processes run for a few months, but in a rush, I suspect the Republicans could get it done in a few weeks, so ... she's got to hold out until, I don't know, sometime around New Year's Day 2021.
Technically, I wonder what prevents Trump from nominating a replacement if Ginsburg dies, and Senate Republicans from confirming the nominee that very day or next day. There seems to be no rule written in law that a confirmation must take a certain amount of time. So maybe even until January 19, 2021.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Technically, I wonder what prevents Trump from nominating a replacement if Ginsburg dies, and Senate Republicans from confirming the nominee that very day or next day. There seems to be no rule written in law that a confirmation must take a certain amount of time. So maybe even until January 19, 2021.
Maybe. I suspect there are some rules about procedures that have to take place (for example, I seem to recall that 30 hours of floor debate time must be allotted). I suppose if they're feeling ruthless enough they might be able to nuclear-option those rules away on the morning of the 20th and hold a quick vote at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I understand that that would likely be the case. My hypothetical assumed that there would be enough republicans voting with the left to block a nomination until the after the next POTUS takes office. My question was how long they would be able to keep the seat open if Ginsburg does pass before the end of the current term. If it happens tonight would they be able to stall for a year?
Old 11-14-2019, 08:26 PM

If they refuse to hold confirmation hearings, why wouldn't they be able to leave the seat open indefinitely? Functionally, that causes a bunch of problems but I can't think of any possible legal roadblock.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
It also lets you just type, "That's a lame joke," instead of whinging about blind links whose destination you already know.
Was that really worth the pixels, dude? Day old news.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I understand that that would likely be the case. My hypothetical assumed that there would be enough republicans voting with the left to block a nomination until the after the next POTUS takes office. My question was how long they would be able to keep the seat open if Ginsburg does pass before the end of the current term. If it happens tonight would they be able to stall for a year?
Sure, I see no reason they couldn't stall indefinitely, a reverse Garland.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:57 PM

How would that be a reverse Garland? Wasn't that pretty much exactly what Garland was? Stalling until there was a new administration in the hopes it would be Republican?
Old 11-15-2019, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Maybe. I suspect there are some rules about procedures that have to take place (for example, I seem to recall that 30 hours of floor debate time must be allotted). I suppose if they're feeling ruthless enough they might be able to nuclear-option those rules away on the morning of the 20th and hold a quick vote at 11:45 AM.
There there's precedent for rapid nominations and confirmations of Supreme Court Justices.

John McLean was nominated to the court on March 6, 1829 by President Andrew Jackson. He was confirmed by the Senate and received his commission the next day.

Any rules in the modern day that would slow a confirmation hearing could be done away with by a determined majority.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I'm not sure I understand the question, but Justices serve on the Court until they die, resign, or are impeached and removed (Samuel Chase is the only Justice to be impeached, and he was not removed).

So assuming Ginsberg is on her deathbed and unable to speak or communicate, she is still technically a Justice. To remove her, she would have to be impeached by the House (currently controlled by the Dems, so not likely even if she is in a persistent vegetative state) and removed by the Senate (currently controlled by the GOP, but they can't remove her until she is impeached).

Thus Ginsberg needs to keep breathing until either Trump is out of office, or until the GOP loses control of the Senate.

If Ginsberg is no longer a Justice for whatever reason, the Dems will stall until the 2020 elections and hope for the best. The GOP will try to get another Justice confirmed while they have the chance.

Ginsberg has to hang on until the Dems regain control of the White House, the Senate, or both.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 11-23-2019, 07:06 PM

Hospitalized