Old 02-15-2019, 10:59 AM
SDSAB

GOP 2020 primary challenger(s) to Trump

Well, one is in: https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...-nod/23670488/
Old 02-15-2019, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

It’s William Weld, the guy who ran as VP for the Libertarian Party in 2016, but then was actively campaigning against third party votes as the election got nearer and Gary Johnson showed himself to be shockingly incompetent.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:05 AM
BANNED

Whatever keeps him away from the LP is good by me. He is fairly decent as far as centrists go.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
It’s William Weld, the guy who ran as VP for the Libertarian Party in 2016, but then was actively campaigning against third party votes as the election got nearer and Gary Johnson showed himself to be shockingly incompetent.
If by “shockingly incompetent” you mean unable to identify a small city on the other side of the world where the US had no business, I can understand.

Oh and Weld all but endorsed Clinton in 2016.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 02-15-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:11 AM

Hoping to see someone like Ben Sasse run against Trump.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
If by “shockingly incompetent” you mean unable to identify a small city on the other side of the world where the US had no business, I can understand.
Perhaps by "shockingly incompetent" he meant "shockingly incompetent"? I mean, going by what people said rather than a completely different interpretation one made up seems more constructive.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:48 AM
SDSAB

Should've said, that was William Weld of Massachusetts.

Jeff Flake of Arizona and John Kasich of Ohio remain possible contenders.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b08aaf7a90cd27
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/15/john...governor-.html
Old 02-15-2019, 11:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Perhaps by "shockingly incompetent" he meant "shockingly incompetent"? I mean, going by what people said rather than a completely different interpretation one made up seems more constructive.
Excellent contribution.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:58 AM

I didn't think that Republicans were going to allow primary challenges.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Excellent contribution.
Thank you! Always happy to help.

But yes, there has been some suggestion that, at least in some states, Republicans would like to avoid primary challenges by cancelling the primaries. I find it unlikely that any of them would go through with this but these days "normal" practice has gone out the window so who knows.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:17 PM

This is a big deal for me. It's like the one and only thing that could possibly lure me back into the Republican party has arrived, and it's my old Governor promising to be a pain in the GOP's ass. I'll be watching this.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:30 PM

Is this guy a stalking horse?
Old 02-15-2019, 04:12 PM

That's a good question. The Republican party has fortified its position over the last couple of decades as the anti-liberal side of politics, so there is really no place in it for a old school liberal Republican as it stands under Trump. And any successful primary challenge to a sitting President would be cause for alarm. But this is not a normal situation with a normal incumbent President, so...you have to judge for yourself the weightiness of the fact that Trump has overwhelming support from within his own party. As compromised as he is, there is no backup plan for 2020? I can't remember a situation like this before so I don't know in what direction the party money is likely to flow. We will see.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:37 PM
SDSAB

No incumbent President has survived a serious primary challenge and then gone on to win in November - Ford in 1976, Carter in 1980, and Bush the Wiser in 1992. And Truman in 1952 and Johnson in 1968 both decided not to run again, even though they almost certainly could've won their party's nominations again, when less-than-stellar showings in early primaries showed them just how disaffected voters were.

Trump is, as we've seen again and again, in a category all his own. Who knows how things will go for him?
Old 02-19-2019, 11:51 PM
SDSAB

Doing my best to limit Donald Trump to a single term, I today sent customized copies of the letter below to Gov. Larry Hogan of Maryland, former Gov. John Kasich of Ohio, and former U.S. senators Bob Corker of Tennessee and Jeff Flake of Arizona, all of whom are rumored to be considering a primary challenge to the President:

I write on Presidents' Day to urge you to run for President in next year's Republican primaries.

You've been a vocal and on-target critic of the incumbent, and your record of accomplishments as [customized] far outweighs anything he has done in Washington.

Donald Trump has proven himself utterly unworthy of the Presidency. Over and over again, he has shown that he is little more than a liar, a bully, a braggart and a racist. He is doing his best to trigger a needless trade war with China, hurting American farmers and manufacturers. He pushed for and signed a tax bill that will lead to huge Federal deficits as far as the eye can see. He picks fights with and insults the leaders of our military, law enforcement and intelligence communities. He wants to build a vastly expensive and probably ineffective border wall with Federal funds, having assured us just three years ago that the Mexican government would pay for it. His family-separation policy directly led to the death of innocent children. He openly invited foreign interference in the election of 2016. He blasts the free press, a bulwark of democracy, and tries to punish reporters he doesn't like.

He still refuses to release his tax returns, as every President since Jimmy Carter has done, or to put his business interests into a blind trust, leaving us to wonder just what influence other individuals and countries might have over him. We simply don’t know if he is making decisions in the national interest or for his own selfish financial advantage. He praises the murderous leaders of Russia, North Korea and Saudi Arabia while insulting the democratically-elected leaders of longtime allies like Great Britain, Canada and Germany. He vacations and golfs far more than his predecessor, whom he blasted for doing so less often. And, as has become all too painfully obvious, he lies, and lies, and lies, and lies.

President Trump must be stopped before he does further damage to both the United States and to a once-great Republican Party. Your country, and your party, badly need you. We deserve a President we can be proud of, and can trust, once more. You could be that man.

Please run.

Very truly yours,
Old 02-20-2019, 12:13 AM

Thank you for your service. I hope your letters help.

Now, I'd encourage you to send that letter to others who'd be a better president than Trump. As in, almost every natural-born citizen over 35.

I'll be contributing to your kickstarter campaign to help pay for all those stamps.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Well, yes, almost any natural-born citizen over 35 would be better than Trump, but most of them wouldn't have a chance against him. The likes of Kasich and Flake just might.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:31 PM

Hogan, mulling primary challenge, says Trump is "his own worst enemy"
Quote:
Larry Hogan isn't ruling out a primary challenge to President Trump in 2020. The Maryland governor known for his straight-talking style was re-elected in November by double digits in a blue state with one of the largest minority populations in the country.

-God

Last edited by Typo Negative; 02-20-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:14 PM

I hope and expect SOMEBODY fairly credible will run against him.

Interesting question: If Trump loses the general election in 2020, will his Republican primary opponent be considered "next in line" for 2024, or scapegoated for being the "divisive" figure who was responsible for the loss?
Old 02-21-2019, 12:08 AM
SDSAB

Probably the latter, given the rabid loyalty of the Trumpinistas. Reagan's challenge to Ford in 1976 didn't do him any long-term harm, and set him up nicely four years later. But Ted Kennedy never ran again for President after taking on Jimmy Carter in 1980. Pat Buchanan ran twice more after challenging Bush the Wiser in 1992, but never succeeded.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:30 AM

Kasich does not have a shot in hell of accomplishing anything; he's a sad-sack and utterly lacking in the competitive spirit that wins campaigns. He seems like he's probably an OK guy, but does not remotely have it in him to challenge Trump.

Jeff Flake is far worse. Flake talked a big game against Donald Trump and how he's "debased the presidency", in his own words, but just like John McCain, when he had the chance to actually stage a meaningful protest against Trump - the cabinet appointment confirmations - what did he do? NOTHING! He could have lodged a protest vote against one of the more egregiously horrible appointees, like Betsy DeVos, and gone down in history as the ONE guy who had the guts to stand up to Trump and make a difference. Nope, instead he mindlessly voted to confirm every single one of them; he bestowed his official blessing on Donald Trump's judgment.

That was his chance to take a stand, and he chose to lay prostrate instead. He's a pathetic piece of shit.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:35 AM
SDSAB

Justin Amash, a Republican Congressman from Michigan and occasional Trump critic, won't rule out a third-party challenge to the President next year: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rep...al-bid-in-2020
Old 03-04-2019, 11:03 AM

Can't click the link, why 3rd party?
Old 03-04-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
Kasich does not have a shot in hell of accomplishing anything; he's a sad-sack and utterly lacking in the competitive spirit that wins campaigns. He seems like he's probably an OK guy, but does not remotely have it in him to challenge Trump.

Jeff Flake is far worse. Flake talked a big game against Donald Trump and how he's "debased the presidency", in his own words, but just like John McCain, when he had the chance to actually stage a meaningful protest against Trump - the cabinet appointment confirmations - what did he do? NOTHING! He could have lodged a protest vote against one of the more egregiously horrible appointees, like Betsy DeVos, and gone down in history as the ONE guy who had the guts to stand up to Trump and make a difference. Nope, instead he mindlessly voted to confirm every single one of them; he bestowed his official blessing on Donald Trump's judgment.

That was his chance to take a stand, and he chose to lay prostrate instead. He's a pathetic piece of shit.
As much as I hate to indulge in that school of humor...he lives up to his name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Justin Amash, a Republican Congressman from Michigan and occasional Trump critic, won't rule out a third-party challenge to the President next year: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rep...al-bid-in-2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
He likes to waste time and money.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
So he can stick around after the primaries?
Old 03-04-2019, 11:37 AM
SDSAB

He might be more comfortable, and more likely to actually win a nomination, as a/the Libertarian candidate.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:45 AM

I see. He uses Republican as a label when it suits him.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

If his goal is to get rid of Trump, then he probably will do more to accomplish that by running as an independent/third party than by trying to primary him. And it's not like he's got a great chance of winning himself via either route.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:42 PM

No one's going to beat Trump in the primaries if Trump contests them, although he might get his nose bloodied a bit.

Now, Trump might get hauled off to Guantanamo if the Mueller report is damning enough. But in a scenario where he muddles along about the same as now, I still think he might decide to just "retire undefeated", finish out his single term, and let other Republicans contest the 2020 nomination.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:12 AM
SDSAB

Yes. I could easily see him declaring he'd already MAGA'd in a single term ("It'd take any other President two terms, or maybe three!"), pardoning himself and going off to write his memoirs, which would of course be the best.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:00 AM

LOL

He'd of course claim they sold more than any other memoirs, regardless of the reality. (They might indeed sell well!)
Old 03-08-2019, 05:37 AM

Huh. Where's Romney Mittens when ya need him?

( shudders, takes shower, extra soap )
Old 03-08-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
Huh. Where's Romney Mittens when ya need him?
I never do.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:42 PM
SDSAB

40% of Iowa Republicans say they hope the President faces a primary challenger next year: https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/11/polit...ump/index.html
Old 08-22-2019, 10:10 AM
SDSAB

Former Illinois Congressman Joe Walsh may get in: https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/22/polit...ntv/index.html

As may former South Carolina Congressman and Governor Mark Sanford (he of Appalachian Trail fame): https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/18/polit...ans/index.html

I've adapted my letter from post 15 and will be sending it to both.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Former Illinois Congressman Joe Walsh may get in: https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/22/polit...ntv/index.html

That's refreshing. The Republican party isn't crazy enough the way it is.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:03 PM

"Mooch" is trying to put something together. Referred to 45 as "trumpnobyl".
Old 08-24-2019, 05:24 PM

Yeah, he’s white-hot pissed off after Trump attacked his wife.

On HBO last night, Bill Maher was practically begging normal Republicans to challenge Trump in the primaries—and then for the one who gets the most votes to run as an independent to spoil the election for Trump and help Democrats.

In any halfway normal cycle, I would absolutely welcome this. In 2004, 2000, basically any election I can think of in my lifetime, a move like that from a prominent Republican would definitely help the Democratic nominee. But this time I am not so sure, and I am uneasy about that idea. Trump is so beyond the pale that I think there are a decent number of Republicans who would be interested in voting against him. But I think if there is no prominent Republican running as an independent, a lot of those people are likely to vote for the Democrat. Therefore I’m not sure this wouldn’t actually take more votes away from the Democratic candidate than from Trump. It introduces more uncertainty and variance, which is great if we are the underdogs but in this case gets a little too cute IMO.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:56 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Former Illinois Congressman Joe Walsh may get in: https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/22/polit...ntv/index.html....
Yup, he's in: https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...ouse/23801024/
Old 08-25-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
... Trump is so beyond the pale that I think there are a decent number of Republicans who would be interested in voting against him. But I think if there is no prominent Republican running as an independent, a lot of those people are likely to vote for the Democrat. Therefore I’m not sure this wouldn’t actually take more votes away from the Democratic candidate than from Trump. It introduces more uncertainty and variance, which is great if we are the underdogs but in this case gets a little too cute IMO.
I think you have a fair point, here. So I'm cheered by the Joe Walsh news: he's not going to pull any 'sane/centrist Republican' votes away from the Democrat.

This candidacy has to be giving the Trumpites kittens. Walsh has a lot of fans in common with Trump, and he's famous for saying kinda racist stuff (among other things). There's not much Trump's people can say to try to bring down Walsh. The stuff that would hurt Walsh with the general public is stuff that endears him to Trump fans!

This could be good.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:50 PM

I didn’t know anything about this guy. Interesting!
Old 08-25-2019, 06:58 PM

I may actually register temporarily as a Republican so I can cross over and vote for Walsh in the primary. I can't think of anything that will help Dems more than making Trump have to spend money in states to defend his primary nomination ahead of the general election.

And yes, let's please help Joe Walsh run as an independent in the general.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Trump is too crazy and hateful for Joe Walsh?
Old 08-25-2019, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

From Walsh's Twitter feed:
Quote:
Why did I decide to primary @realDonaldTrump ? Because he welcomed & encouraged Russian interference in 2016, he lied & ordered others to lie, and he obstructed the investigation into Russian interference.

Trump should be impeached.
Quote:
It’s time we all say publicly what we feel privately: We have an unfit conman in the White House. We can’t take four more years of Donald Trump. No way.
Quote:
"I'm running because he's unfit; somebody needs to step up and there needs to be an alternative," Walsh said. "The country is sick of this guy's tantrum -- he's a child."
Sounds like he's saying what Dems should be saying, but are by and large too chickenshit to say.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:11 PM

That’s not remotely fair. Democrats, including Pelosi and all the presidential candidates, say the same thing. Why are some people so invested in falsely painting Democrats as craven cowards?
Old 08-25-2019, 08:14 PM

He also said this:https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1VF0IM

"There were plenty of times I went beyond the policy and the idea differences, and I got personal and I got hateful,” Walsh said. “I said some ugly things about President Obama that I regret. And, and it’s difficult, but I think that helped create Trump, and I feel responsible for that.”

I have to say, I admire his willingness to come out and admit this.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:29 PM

Impressive!

Following up on my earlier defense of Democrats, here are some of those allegedly “chickenshit” Dems:

https://www.newsweek.com/nancy-pelos...aching-1359203
Quote:
"I mean, ethically unfit. Intellectually unfit. Curiosity-wise unfit," Pelosi said. "No, I don't think he's fit to be president of the United States."
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ddress-1405878
Quote:
“Make no mistake about it: the world sees Trump for what he is: insincere, ill informed and impulsive — and sometimes corrupt,” Biden said during his roughly 40-minute speech. “Dangerously incompetent and incapable, in my view, of world leadership.”
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/04/polit...ntv/index.html
Quote:
O'Rourke argued that it would take "all of us -- Republicans, Democrats, independents alike -- rising up, standing up to be counted against what this President is doing, against this white nationalist racism, against this violence and getting this country back."
He called for a shared "responsibility to call that out, to make sure that the American people understand what is being done in their name by the person who holds the highest position of public trust in this land."
"(Trump) does not even pretend to respect our differences or to understand that we are all created equal," O'Rourke told Tapper. "He is saying that some people are inherently defective or dangerous."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ceful-shocking
Quote:
President Trump believes "winning an election is more important than the integrity of an election,” Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said in a floor speech Thursday denouncing Trump’s now-viral ABC News interview about accepting Russian opposition research.

“The president’s comments are undemocratic, un-American, disgraceful,” Schumer said.
“The president’s idea that winning the election is everything and the integrity of the election is nothing, is one small step away from dictators and autocrats who manipulate the results of an election because they care more about staying in power than than care about Democratic principles. Donald Trump seems to fall into that category.”
Old 08-25-2019, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

The difference is, Walsh is doing what he can. He's backing up his words by running against Trump. Pelosi's actually accused Trump of violating the Constitution, but she's not doing a damned thing about it. So her words are vacuous, and everybody knows it.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
. . . Why are some people so invested in falsely painting Democrats as craven cowards?
Oh gosh, where to start? Dukakis' failure to respond to the Willie Horton ads and the "what if your wife were raped?" jabs? Kerry's failure to fight back against the Swift Boat accusations? Hillary's "when they go low, we go high" crap? The promises in 2000 to work for overhauling the Electoral College? etc. etc...

http://untilsoon.weebly.com/
Old 08-25-2019, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
The difference is, Walsh is doing what he can. He's backing up his words by running against Trump. Pelosi's actually accused Trump of violating the Constitution, but she's not doing a damned thing about it. So her words are vacuous, and everybody knows it.
What do you want her to do? Push an Impeachment motion through the House so it can run into a brick wall of Republican opposition in the Senate? Isn't that exactly the same thing the Republicans tried with Bill Clinton in 1998-99?

The difference is, Bill Clinton wasn't running for re-election in 2000, so the nation didn't have to watch him run around the country, campaign rally after campaign rally, screaming, "They tried to impeach me, and they couldn't! It's all political! I'm the victim! Vote for me!"

So, RTFirefly, you're Nancy Pelosi. You can't impeach Trump all by yourself, and you can't have a sitting President arrested. What do YOU do?