Old 06-13-2019, 11:34 PM

Interesting trivia: this is the first time since 2001 that an NBA team (in this case, Warriors) has gone 0-3 at home in the Finals.

Wonder if any team has ever gone 0-4 at home in a best-of-seven series, in any sport?
Old 06-13-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Wonder if any team has ever gone 0-4 at home in a best-of-seven series, in any sport?
I'd note that for this to happen, neither team could win a single home game. I feel certain that an NHL series several years ago went to game 7 with no home team having won a game yet, but the home team won game 7.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:49 AM

Sounds like a torn ACL for Klay. Brutal.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Interesting trivia: this is the first time since 2001 that an NBA team (in this case, Warriors) has gone 0-3 at home in the Finals.

The finals of the 1992 Calder Cup Playoffs* were won by the Adirondack Red Wings over the St. John's Maple Leafs, 4 road wins to 3 road wins. I don't think it's happened in the NBA or NHL.

*for the American Hockey League, a top-tier minor hockey league
Old 06-14-2019, 01:27 AM

Congrats to the Raptors and their fans. A well-deserved championship.

I can do with the loss but could do without all the players sustaining all the injuries...
Old 06-14-2019, 05:50 AM

Congratulations Toronto...as someone who is not a Raps fan but does work here, this was more fun to watch than Mike James and Rafael Araujo.

Won reports the Wiz will offer Masai 10/yr. I have a hunch that if anything, Masai will renegotiate with Toronto. I know nothing though.

Everyone expects Kawhi to sign a 1 and 1 with Toronto. Not everyone, but Iíve herd it a lot...I expect that with his injury history that he gets the max. I have a hunch he leaves. Just please not the Lakers!
Old 06-14-2019, 07:21 AM

Congrats to the Raptors, but I hate watching a team win the Finals over a team with serious injuries. Ah well, the Raptors don't control that, and a year or two from now, nobody will even remember or care. The Raptors will have a championship banner hanging from the rafters.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:34 AM

A curious Steph Curry stat: he is now a career 0-8 on go-ahead shots with less than 20 seconds remaining on the clock in the NBA playoffs.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Congrats to the Raptors, but I hate watching a team win the Finals over a team with serious injuries. Ah well, the Raptors don't control that, and a year or two from now, nobody will even remember or care. The Raptors will have a championship banner hanging from the rafters.

2 years from now the fact that they beat Giannis and Embiid to get there may come out. Sure GSW wasnít 100%, but on the whole, they beat some good teams to win it all.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:26 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Thank God.

Anyway, Fred VanVleet was on fire. My God, what a fourth quarter he had. He won the game for them.

This is why I'm a sports fan. We don't win often in Toronto, but when you win, it's the most wonderful thing.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm View Post
2 years from now the fact that they beat Giannis and Embiid to get there may come out. Sure GSW wasnít 100%, but on the whole, they beat some good teams to win it all.
I won't deny that they did beat some good teams on their way up, but Toronto was starting to tense up a little and I wonder what would have happened if they had faced GSW at full strength. Facing Philadelphia and Milwaukee on their way up is not the same as facing a team that's played together and won championships in three out of the previous four seasons (and probably would have won a 4th had Draymond Green's head not exploded).

I'm not saying that to trash Toronto - I was actually pulling for them to win. But as a casual sports fan and observer/commentator, it needs to be said that Toronto at full strength beat a Warriors team that was hobbled with injuries. It happens. As a sports fan, some of my team's winners have benefited from injuries.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:49 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Injuries have been a part of more playoffs in more sports than one can count. No one's fully healthy at season's end.

As you said, no one will remember. Do you remember the injuries that affected the 1967 World Series? Super Bowl XI? The '96 Stanley Cup Finals? Neither does anyone else.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:04 AM

Anyone see this incident involving Masai Ujiri?

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/vid...075303288.html

Didn't have the proper credentials!?

He's fucking 6'4, wearing a suit that's worth more than that cop makes in a month and headed onto the court with an entourage of team execs.

Meanwhile.... everybody else seems to be allowed to mill around at will.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:32 PM

Watching the highlights - wow, Danny Green's error near the end of the game could have cost Toronto the game and perhaps the series. He had absolutely no need to pass the ball while being guarded by Draymond Green - he could have just held on to the ball and run out the clock, forcing a foul. Instead, he threw an ill-advised pass that resulted in a turnover and Warriors ball (Toronto leading only 111-110.) He didn't even throw it to the right guy, someone much closer who could have handled the ball.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:02 PM

While he made a bad pass, he certainly could not have realistically just held on to the ball and run out the clock.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky812 View Post
Didn't have the proper credentials!?
That "didn't have the proper credentials" thing is bullshit. Look at the video; he's clearly holding up for the cop to see. I'd bet a lot that this is a racist cop who can't believe that a black man is a team executive.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
While he made a bad pass, he certainly could not have realistically just held on to the ball and run out the clock.
Sure he could have. There were only 12 seconds remaining (and shot clock didn't apply.) He could have wrapped up the ball with his arms, forced a foul, then took free throws.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:14 PM

In a thrilling Game 6 that saw numerous lead changes and exciting moments, the Toronto Raptors closed out the Golden State Warriors, ending their chances of a three-peat, with a win at Oracle Arena in Oakland.

The win marks the Raptors' first NBA championship. Since the Vancouver Grizzlies' move to Memphis in 2001-02, the Raptors have been Canada's sole NBA franchise.

This also marks the first Big 4 championship for a Canadian team since 1993, when the Toronto Blue Jays won Major League Baseball's World Series and the Montreal Canadiens won the Stanley Cup.

In one of the more dramatic moments in the third quarter of Game 6, the Warriors' Klay Thompson was fouled attempting a lay-up, and was helped off the court during the commercial break. Someone apparently reminded Thompson, while he was back there, that if he left without shooting the free throws, someone else would have to, but then Thompson would be ineligible to return to the game.

So he came back out, hit both from the line, and DeMarcus Cousins committed an intentional foul on the ensuing Raptors' possession so that Thompson could leave the game. He never returned. He was later diagnosed with a torn ACL, meaning that both he and his teammate Kevin Durant will be entering their summer of unrestricted free agency with injuries that may put them down for a long time. (It's already confirmed that Durant is likely to miss all of next season.)

Near the very end of the game, the Warriors missed a shot, there was a mad scramble for the ball around half-court, and the Warriors got possession and called a timeout that they didn't have, with 0.9 seconds remaining. It was quite likely a deliberate strategy to stop the clock; otherwise their time would have run out right there. The Raptors took a technical foul shot, regained possession, and Kawhi Leonard got fouled shooting a missed layup.

That's when things got really weird. The time clock was now at 0.0, and Jurassic Park was celebrating, but after a long delay, 0.9 seconds were put back on the clock. Leonard calmly hit both foul shots to put the Raptors up by four, and the Warriors inbounded to end the game.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:19 PM

If he just wrapped the ball in his arms and held it still, Draymond would have almost certainly forced a jump ball. By swinging it around to avoid a tie-up, he was in perilous danger of a backcourt violation.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Injuries have been a part of more playoffs in more sports than one can count. No one's fully healthy at season's end.
So if Kawhi Leonard, Marc Gasol, and Fred VanFleet had gone down to injuries and the Warriors had won, we wouldn't be talking about how injuries were a factor for the Raptors? Sure, nobody's healthy at the end, but we're talking about two of their three best players going down to injuries. That's a factor. It just is.

Quote:
As you said, no one will remember. Do you remember the injuries that affected the 1967 World Series? Super Bowl XI? The '96 Stanley Cup Finals? Neither does anyone else.
I don't care whether anyone remembers - I'm just talking about it because injuries clearly did factor in this series. None of that takes away Toronto's championship or their accomplishments over the course of a season.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:34 PM

I mean, Kawhi could barely jump by game 6 and Lowry was playing through a wrist injury of some kind to his non-throwing arm, but nobody seems to give a shit about that.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:07 PM

Iím not the biggest basketball fan but was glued to the TV during the playoffs and was thrilled to see the Raptors win their first title.

The Warriors injuries were a factor and I hope the players recover quickly and well. There were lots of plays for both teams that could have been executed better and a few missed calls that might have made a difference. Like any sport or game.

Given that most of the Raptors stalwarts were far from being top lottery picks, it was remarkable that when the Raptors needed a boost it could have come from so many different players. And while Leonard is indisputably the heart of the team, I thought Van Vleet a major factor despite a very difficult defensive assignment - when Curry is playing well he is extremely impressive.

And when the Raptors made some unusual trades, I wondered what they were thinking. Clearly they had an unusual understanding of what they needed and where they wanted to be. Still, the Raptors got a bit lucky to make it out of the second round.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
That "didn't have the proper credentials" thing is bullshit. Look at the video; he's clearly holding up for the cop to see. I'd bet a lot that this is a racist cop who can't believe that a black man is a team executive.
Either racist, a sore loser or both, IMHO.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
I mean, Kawhi could barely jump by game 6 and Lowry was playing through a wrist injury of some kind to his non-throwing arm, but nobody seems to give a shit about that.
Because Leonard and Lowry could still clearly play and they were clearly well enough to be effective contributors to the team. Durant and Thompson clearly could not. Michael Jordan might have been sick with the flu in 1997, but he still dropped 38 points on the Jazz. A respiratory illness, a hurt wrist, a sore leg all suck and ideally, we wouldn't want our star players to have them, but they're all better than injuries that won't allow you to put weight on your leg.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:37 PM

Van Fleet's 3s in the fourth quarter were absolutely critical; arguably saved the entire game and team.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Van Fleet's 3s in the fourth quarter were absolutely critical; arguably saved the entire game and team.
Agreed - Van Fleet was absolutely clutch down the stretch.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:01 PM

In case anyone wants to know my thoughts (and I know you don't ), I think the Raptors would have won in 7 games if Klay Thompson had been healthy. The Warriors would have won game 6 but the Raps would have found a way to squeak out game 7 at home, possibly in an OT thriller. Another reason why Thompson's injury sucked. I think the Raptors were as good as the 2016 Cavs, and they could have beaten the Warriors minus Durant.

However, if the Warriors had been at full strength, I think the W's would have won in 6 or 7. The Raps would have won the first 2 of 3, just like they did. But Kerr and the Warriors would have figured it out and out-schemed the Raps in a tough, hard-fought 7 game series.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed - Van Fleet was absolutely clutch down the stretch.
Nitpick: It's VanVleet. One Word. Double V. Proud to say that he played for my alma mater, Wichita State. Twice conference player of the year in the Missouri Valley.

He was undrafted out of college and spent some time playing for the Raptors D-League team during his rookie season. But by the end of the next season, he was nominated for the NBA Sixth Man of the Year Award.

And his defense on Curry should not be overlooked.

Last edited by Railer13; 06-15-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
Nitpick: It's VanVleet. One Word. Double V. Proud to say that he played for my alma mater, Wichita State. Twice conference player of the year in the Missouri Valley.

He was undrafted out of college and spent some time playing for the Raptors D-League team during his rookie season. But by the end of the next season, he was nominated for the NBA Sixth Man of the Year Award.

And his defense on Curry should not be overlooked.
My bad- don't know why I thought it was Van Fleet. However you spell it, he was total clutch at the end of the game.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:40 PM

AD Traded to Lakersfor:Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart and three first round picks from the Lakers
Old 06-15-2019, 08:53 PM

Q: why are 1st-round picks considered much less precious in the NBA than NFL? In the NFL they are treated like a prized golden commodity (can't recall ever hearing of one player being traded in the NFL for 3 first-round draft picks), whereas in the NBA they're thrown about like nothing.

It's like an NBA 1st-round pick is only worth an NFL second-rounder or third-rounder.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Q: why are 1st-round picks considered much less precious in the NBA than NFL? In the NFL they are treated like a prized golden commodity (can't recall ever hearing of one player being traded in the NFL for 3 first-round draft picks), whereas in the NBA they're thrown about like nothing.

It's like an NBA 1st-round pick is only worth an NFL second-rounder or third-rounder.
The only ones I can think of are Herschel Walker and RGIII.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I think it's more that a truly elite basketball superstar has more impact on a team than a football superstar does, and so is worth more in draft picks. JJ Watt or Odell Beckham Jr aren't by themselves going to turn your middling to pretty good team into a championship contender. Kawhi Leonard evidently will, though.

The only exception to this would be elite quarterbacks in their prime, but they aren't ever traded. How many 1st round picks do you think a team would have given up for Brady or Manning in their primes? More than 3, I guarantee you.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:22 PM

The Jay Cutler trade is maybe the best example. I think the Bears traded 2 firsts and a third (and their own QB) for him.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
So if Kawhi Leonard, Marc Gasol, and Fred VanFleet had gone down to injuries and the Warriors had won, we wouldn't be talking about how injuries were a factor for the Raptors?
Of course we would, but in no way would that have cheapened the Warriors' win, and eventually it'd be largely forgotten.

Durant and Thompson's injuries affected the series, no one said they didn't.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations to the Raptors. While Kawhi will never, ever be my favorite NBA player (but could nicely fit in the all-important Sports Hate pantheon), he has another ring, which made him shitting all over his ex-coach (the one with a dying wife) worth it.

I actually think he might stay. Toronto is a lot like San Antonio in that nobody really cares about what happens there, but is twice the size which may have its appeal. We'll see.

Pelicans now have a chance to destroy seven promising careers, instead of one. Can they do it?
Old 06-17-2019, 02:15 PM

The championship parade is almost 3 hours behind schedule, due to the size of the crowds.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:17 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Which is the most Toronto thing that has ever happened.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Which is the most Toronto thing that has ever happened.
And a shooting, the next most Toronto thing that could happen.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:22 PM
Charter Jays Fan

For such a safe city, it's rather NOT a Toronto thing.

Oh well, no one died.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:26 PM

Saddened to hear that with Lonzo's move to NO, the much smaller market will shamefully deprive his charismatic, measured father the broad enough platform from which he can dispense his bon mots of scintillating (and much welcome!) prudent wisdom and conviviality.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:18 AM

I have to give the Boston Celtics props for drafting Romeo Langford in the first round. He's from my hometown, went to my high school(not nearly at the same time, though), and seems to be a genuine nice guy.

So hometown kid makes good.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Free Agency officially kicks off this Sunday night. Any interest in a new thread?
Old 06-26-2019, 06:19 PM
Charter Jays Fan

I suppose you could start the 2019-2020 season thread, since, in effect, that's what free agency will be a part of.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

What the hell. Coming soon.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

And here we are.