Old 08-19-2019, 06:29 PM

Troll Food Omnibus Thread

This is long overdue.

A thread for naming and shaming the people who should damn well know better but continue to engage with the trolls.

Let's just start with a recent case. In a thread about how shitty things have gotten due to the non-stop trolling, one of the board's most obvious and least worthwhile trolls, LAZombie, said something. I have him on ignore, so I shouldn't have to read it, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I responded to it, and you ignored me. Probably because you're a troll who offers nothing beneficial to this board.
Fuck you, iiandyiiii. You should know better. You literally say as much. He's a troll who offers nothing beneficial to this board. Why are you responding?

Then, a few posts later:

Quote:
And god, octopus, but your endless and lazy whining about the board and the posters is so, so tiresome. You used to put effort and thought into discussions, but nowadays it's rare that I see any post from you that isn't an effort-free, mindless whine about the board, with the same predictable so-broad-as-to-be-useless potshots like that last one. Do you really have fun posting the same thing, over and over again, in the Pit?
I think most of us get that octopus is a waste of space. Why are you quoting him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Nice zombie bitch, troll.
What does this accomplish? Is this informing the moderators that obvious troll is obvious? Or is it just showing a whole bunch of people who have this asshole on ignore what he posted anyways? You people have no business engaging with these idiots unless it's to highlight a particularly noxious piece of shit with the help of the report button. Quoting them does not help. You're just feeding the troll. You should know better. Stop doing it.

Look, here's the thing. Some people on this board are obviously bad-faith trolls. They aren't going to stop posting, and nobody is going to stop them from posting. The best and only option available is to not engage. Do not feed the troll. Put them on ignore. If you absolutely cannot stand to put people on ignore, for the love of god do not quote them or respond to them, so that the people who do have them on ignore don't see that shit. Starve them out. Make it so that every post is them shouting into the void. Whether they quit or not at that point doesn't matter, because everyone with half a brain will already be ignoring their posts.

(In fact, there's even a script to make it so that the stubs showing that they posted something disappear. Might be worth using; I've never used greasemonkey so I wouldn't know.)

Any other form of engagement is a waste of time. You guys know this. You say as much in your posts. We should probably start acting like it.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:47 PM

You are more of a troll than the people you are attacking. And aren't you also a perv? That's a bad combo man.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:53 PM

How about this guy responding to octopus? Burn him at the stake!

Here's the same guy responding to Ditka.

Shodan trolls a thread about Clinton deaths, and this guy can't help but respond.

Here's one responding to the king of trolls, WillF.

My takeaway from this is that maybe it's a little harder than it sounds. A troll post to one person is an argument to another. Maybe we could focus on the trolls and not blame people who get sucked in?
Old 08-19-2019, 07:03 PM

I'm sympathetic BPC. The truth is that we all get sucked in sometimes. It's very, very hard not to respond when trolls are so very, very wrong, and nasty, and mean spirited, and stupid, and so on.

I'm trying not to respond when a response will make the thread about their agenda. If it's their Pit thread and someone wants to argue, fine. If it's an election thread, I try to scroll on by and engage with posters who actually want a dialogue.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:13 PM

BPC, seriously, step away from the keyboard for awhile and go outside or something. Watch some television, go to a movie, go out to dinner. Nothing is worth getting that worked up over.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:19 PM

Modern trolls are well adapted to a basic idea like "ignoring them". Quit saying this like it's some amazing plan. It stopped working decades ago gramps.

Last edited by Chingon; 08-19-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
Modern trolls are well adapted to a basic idea like "ignoring them". Quit saying this like it's some amazing plan. It stopped working decades ago gramps.
I agree. Ignoring trolls make them feel like they won - "They were afraid to confront me. My brilliance was too much for them."

I'd rather ridicule them. And not just because it's fun. I also think it's important to rebut their nonsense.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:50 PM

BPC, dude, if you do a search on your threads, for the last few months, almost ALL of them have been in the Pit. You're either going to get banned, or have a stroke.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
How about this guy responding to octopus? Burn him at the stake!

Here's the same guy responding to Ditka.

Shodan trolls a thread about Clinton deaths, and this guy can't help but respond.

Here's one responding to the king of trolls, WillF.

My takeaway from this is that maybe it's a little harder than it sounds. A troll post to one person is an argument to another. Maybe we could focus on the trolls and not blame people who get sucked in?
Yep, I'm just as guilty. It's hard. I'm damn well gonna try to get it right in the future.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:15 AM

Okay.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

"They're only trolling you because they like you!"

— My parents, if the Web were invented twenty years earlier
Old 08-20-2019, 07:33 AM

Also:

Quote:
Just relax a bit. None of this is really that important. The issues are, but our arguments aren't. We're not really accomplishing much here. This is mostly wasting time on the internet. It can be fun and even intellectually stimulating and illuminating time-wasting, but we're not actually doing much beyond that. And that's only at the best of times -- far more often it's uninformed sniping and silliness.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:27 AM

I look at it this way: I can't yell at Trump in person, so I'll settle for one of his asshole braindead followers. Just use PgDn if you don't want to read it.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I look at it this way: I can't yell at Trump in person, so I'll settle for one of his asshole braindead followers. Just use PgDn if you don't want to read it.
In that case the trolls are doing you a favor. Even if they’re not really Trumpists and are just yanking your chain, they’re creating a target dummy for you to vent your frustrations against.

Bless you trolls and all you bring to this world.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:47 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Yep, I'm just as guilty. It's hard. I'm damn well gonna try to get it right in the future.
But not until after this thread, right?

Regards,
Shodan
Old 08-20-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post

Regards,
Shodan

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 08-20-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Funny thing about the future: we never quite seem to get there.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Some days I try living in the past but it keeps getting away from me.

Then some genius tells me to “live in the present”. Like there’s an option not to.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:58 PM
Suspended

That's what you claimed yesterday.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 08-20-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I'm feeding the trolls jam tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Also:
While that arguably had utility before, this time it's just tone policing. You're avoiding responding to his actual argument that you are fucking up by responding to trolls while telling others that they should ignore trolls.

So I'll once again point out how, "Never in the history of 'calm down' has saying 'calm down' ever resulted in an angry person calming down." It's a shitty move to tell someone the thing they are concerned about doesn't matter.

You can address what they are bringing up without being dismissive of their concerns. You don't have to hide a passive aggressive attack, essentially calling them stupid because they care about something they don't think matters.

Thing is, I already disagreed with the OP about blaming the people who reply to trolls. But I get so fucking tired of people who are normally good people pulling this obvious bullshit.

I've wondered if I should just start going into Pit threads and telling everyone that whatever they are concerned about doesn't really matter and that they should just calm down, so maybe they'd get a clue about how that feels, and how it helps nothing.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
While that arguably had utility before, this time it's just tone policing. You're avoiding responding to his actual argument that you are fucking up by responding to trolls while telling others that they should ignore trolls.

So I'll once again point out how, "Never in the history of 'calm down' has saying 'calm down' ever resulted in an angry person calming down." It's a shitty move to tell someone the thing they are concerned about doesn't matter.

You can address what they are bringing up without being dismissive of their concerns. You don't have to hide a passive aggressive attack, essentially calling them stupid because they care about something they don't think matters.

Thing is, I already disagreed with the OP about blaming the people who reply to trolls. But I get so fucking tired of people who are normally good people pulling this obvious bullshit.

I've wondered if I should just start going into Pit threads and telling everyone that whatever they are concerned about doesn't really matter and that they should just calm down, so maybe they'd get a clue about how that feels, and how it helps nothing.
Okay!
Old 08-20-2019, 02:08 PM

BPC: I already explained in the other thread why this is victim blaming rather than anything helpful. I get that you're concerned about the trolling around here, and I don't blame you. You actually care about this board more than a lot of people, including people who should care. I actually think that, if they would just ban the people you have labeled Nazi and such, the board would be much better. Just one banning would scare away the rabble rousers who aren't here for actual debate.

But the blame on this board being trolled does not lie on those who "feed the trolls," however you define this (In my opinion, those who respond to trolls are not necessarily feeding them). The people who enjoy engagement are fine. The people who are tricked are victims. The people who are good enough that evil makes them angry are the good guys, by definition.

I will thank iiandyiiii for pulling out the tone policing, so I was reminded that I would just dismissing your concerns rather than being decent to you. Regardless of whatever faults you have, you are on the right side, the one that is actually against bigotry. The idea that "caring too much" is a fault is fucking stupid, and always will be.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post

Regards,
Shodan
It would be nice if you believed the Christian stuff you like to spout. Hitting someone like this when they are down is not Christian, and you know it.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:

So what kind of troll are you? I still haven't figured it out. You're like a concern troll but more so. Is there a scolding concern troll?

Do you contribute to this board in a way bedsides chiding others?

I mean your schtick is pretty old and very annoying at this point. You junior mod on a level that I don't remember seeing anyone else do.

Honestly I'm surprised you get away with it.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:

You could stop acting like you have just finished your studies on morality in heaven's library and are back to report the facts you've discovered. Telling an overly angry and nutty young man to calm down is the right thing to do sometimes, whether he immediately calms down or not. Just thought I should "point that out" for you.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:58 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT
So I'll once again point out how, "Never in the history of 'calm down' has saying 'calm down' ever resulted in an angry person calming down."
On the other hand, a quick "shut up, BigT" lifts everyone's spirits.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 08-20-2019, 03:09 PM

When I first got here, everyone seemed smarter than me I, smarter than I. (...see?)
And it was just so hard to believe that (on a site that 'Fought Ignorance'!) some people were just here to parrot party lines and try to get others riled up.

As a lifelong Optimist, it took a while to realize that not only can I not change people's views through facts, but so frickin' many don't want to change... and don't care about facts.

So after watching many great threads get totally derailed, I've come love it when one of 'the usual gang of idiots' drops a turd in a political thread, and nobody takes the bait. The comment just lies there like the turd it is, and people walk around it on their way to a Real Discussion.

Quote:
So I'll once again point out how, "Never in the history of 'calm down' has saying 'calm down' ever resulted in an angry person calming down."
Geez, calm down...

(Couldn't resist. Feel better now, Capital T?)

Last edited by digs; 08-20-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
So what kind of troll are you? I still haven't figured it out. You're like a concern troll but more so. Is there a scolding concern troll?

I mean your schtick is pretty old and very annoying at this point. You junior mod on a level that I don't remember seeing anyone else do.

I don’t think BigT is a troll. I just think he has low EQ.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:

No. No, you shouldn't.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post

He is one of those 'finger wagging' trolls.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
I don't think it was a "dirty trick" at all. Here's what the Speaker had to say, from LHoD's article:

Oh, that is some fucking bullshit. Moore is deceiving you, and if you're believing him, it's [redacted].

No, no announcement was made about votes. Nobody said there were announcements: they said there were private assurances made. Multiple people, including reporters, received those assurances.

Moore used 9/11 remembrance ceremonies to push something through that he couldn't otherwise do. He's a weasel, and I think [redacted].

Edit: and you know what, for some out-of-stater to come in and piously tell me that this is all right? Unless you want to continue the conversation in the Pit, I'm not allowed to say what I think about that.
Of course it's bullshit! It's HurricaneDitka, the forum's most obvious troll. Nobody with anything resembling honesty or integrity could defend what he's defending in that thread. And we should all know that by now. What possible benefit is there from engaging with him? Seriously, basically all his posts come down to saying something obviously awful and wrong, then waiting for people to take the bait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
So holding off the vote indefinitely, waiting for the one moment when a representative is sick or gets caught in traffic or attends an important memorial service, is just fine and dandy by you?

Short-circuiting democracy and throwing ethics out the window is acceptable as long as you like the results?

Whatever happened to "elections have consequences"? Apparently they only have consequences if you can't figure out how to game the system.
No shit what he's saying is wrong. He's not trying to be honest. He's a troll, or at least his behavior is utterly indistinguishable from that of a troll. There was one response in that thread to HurricaneDipshit that doesn't belong in this post - see if you can guess which one.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Of course it's bullshit! It's HurricaneDitka, the forum's most obvious troll. Nobody with anything resembling honesty or integrity could defend what he's defending in that thread. And we should all know that by now. What possible benefit is there from engaging with him? Seriously, basically all his posts come down to saying something obviously awful and wrong, then waiting for people to take the bait.

No shit what he's saying is wrong. He's not trying to be honest. He's a troll, or at least his behavior is utterly indistinguishable from that of a troll. There was one response in that thread to HurricaneDipshit that doesn't belong in this post - see if you can guess which one.
Someone’s wrong on the internet!
Run socialmediaoutrage.exe

At some point people need to grow up and stop worrying that someone has a different opinion about a subject.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
At some point people need to grow up and stop worrying that someone has a different opinion about a subject.
All this foolishness -- Why can't we all just get along.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Right. HD is literally FOR exploding babies and the rest of civilization is AGAINST. Totally the same thing as I like chocolate and he likes vanilla.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:

This is a discussion board. If we all just ignored other viewpoints, discussions would end, all threads would be one post, and cats and dogs would start living together.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
This is a discussion board. If we all just ignored other viewpoints, discussions would end, all threads would be one post, and cats and dogs would start living together.
Does that make Octopus, Walter Peck?
Old 09-12-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
That is a good point. Perhaps, my post was poorly worded. Disagree all you’d like. But keep it productive and sane.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
That is a good point. Perhaps, my post was poorly worded. Disagree all you’d like. But keep it productive and sane.
Same, like supporting McVeigh. Got it.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Same, like supporting McVeigh. Got it.
What are you talking about?
Old 09-12-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:

shhh... nobody answer that. if we're quiet, he'll go away.

it'll be like a reverse surprise party, only we stay behind the sofa with the lights off when he comes in, grabs a beer, watches TV then goes to bed. then we sneak out and he never knows we were there.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
shhh... nobody answer that. if we're quiet, he'll go away.

it'll be like a reverse surprise party, only we stay behind the sofa with the lights off when he comes in, grabs a beer, watches TV then goes to bed. then we sneak out and he never knows we were there.
That’s creepy.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure that was a typo. Same=sane.

”I think Timothy McVeigh's actions were not an entirely unreasonable reaction to Ruby Ridge and Waco.”

Sorry guys, did I ruin the reverse surprise party?
Old 09-12-2019, 04:19 PM

Kind of, yeah.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Not sure I'd call HurricaneDitka outing himself as a malevolent prick a "surprise."
Old 09-12-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Not sure I'd call HurricaneDitka outing himself as a malevolent prick a "surprise."
It’s a reverse surprise!