Old 09-05-2019, 08:47 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Lord of the Rings Online - missing quest

OK, I have been playing LOTRO off and on since I was in closed Beta, and I have a vague memory of a quest, but I am not sure it is still in the game. Though I suppose I could have imagined it...

The quest would have been in the early years of the game, I think possibly before Mines of Moria went live. I believe it had one of those backstory flash backs to a tribe of hillmen/sort of aboriginals. I also vaguely remember some sort of orb or sphere on a small hilltop.

Sorry for being vague. I tried hitting Google, and didn't turn up anything, but for some reason I think the name was something like Dum Burri Dum [but that isn't it, but the third word is the same as the first word.] I also think we are trying to get the guy who is the leader of his tribe to honor a promise of help in a fight.

[I am actually watching the trilogy while playing =) I am currently on Arkenstone as Miclic]
Old 09-05-2019, 08:56 PM

Unfortunately it Doesn't sound too familiar to me, I played a bunch from beta to Moria. The only thing that immediately came to mind was the Dwarf introductory quest line about the Shornbeard Clan of dwarves, but I have no idea why.

Or also the name reminds me of The wildmen and their names like Ghân-buri-Ghân, but I don't recall any of them in LOTRO. Is it possible you are conflating another Middle-Earth game?
Old 09-06-2019, 12:08 AM

I also played a lot from beta up until Lothlorien. I played every quest, I was a completionist, and that quest doesn’t sound familiar at all.

ETA: The only “aborigines” I can think of were the Lossoth in Forochel. They were nomadic tribesmen but were more like Inuit.

Last edited by Atamasama; 09-06-2019 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:16 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Thanks, but it may have been something they were playing with in Beta, mrAru remembers something like it as well.

Ah well, it isn't like there is a derth of stuff to do =)
Old 09-06-2019, 10:14 AM

how big of an orb are you remembering? There are some quests around the Stone of Erech (big black orb on top of a hill) in Gondor that match your description but they come quite a bit after Moria.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:26 AM

Here's what I'm talking about. Does this look familiar?

Volume III, Book 3, Chapter 2
Old 02-14-2020, 12:46 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

I have no idea how I lost track of this thread, my abject apologies. Yes it is the Stone of Erech quest, Vol 3 Book 3 Ch 2 =) I went back into my various characters on both my accounts on both my servers [I have a euro server -Gwaihir, and a US server - Arkenstone] and discovered for some odd reason, I only did it once on my first character that hit that level - otherwise, I tend to sort of pop around and we randomly farm and do instances.

Now, anybody remember the Entwives quest? I think it is over in the Brown Lands ...
Old 02-14-2020, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
OK, I have been playing LOTRO off and on since I was in closed Beta, and I have a vague memory of a quest, but I am not sure it is still in the game. Though I suppose I could have imagined it...

The quest would have been in the early years of the game, I think possibly before Mines of Moria went live. I believe it had one of those backstory flash backs to a tribe of hillmen/sort of aboriginals. I also vaguely remember some sort of orb or sphere on a small hilltop.
I've been playing LOTRO for years, so I hope I can help!

In Angmar (which as you know is before Moria), there are two 'hillmen' tribes fighting (Trev Gallorg and Trev Duvardain.)
One quest line is for you to undertake the ceremonial 'Rite of Clucath'. To set the challenge, you climb a small pile of stones ('Cairn of Honour') on a hilltop and bring the Stone of Clucath from there to Crannog (Chief of the Trev Gallorg - the good guys.)
Soon after, you undertake the actual battle of the 'Rite of Clucath'.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Now, anybody remember the Entwives quest? I think it is over in the Brown Lands ...
There are references to the Entwives early on in the quest 'Flowers of the Old Forest.'

However I don't remember any Entwives stuff in the Brown Lands.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:15 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
There are references to the Entwives early on in the quest 'Flowers of the Old Forest.'

However I don't remember any Entwives stuff in the Brown Lands.
a that is the problem doing beta testing and playing the games, you end up doing lot of stuff that may or may not make it into the game =)

I know there is actually a quest where you look for entwives, and it is not in the old forest, it involves an area that looks like a small burnt out garden in a sort of raised rock bed.

Is it pitiful that I have done the Breeland quests and deeds that I have all the locations memorized? Sigh. I know I joke about it, but I should stream/record a character from creation through level 10, I can do it in around an hour.

On the plus side, the new servers and modification to the maps is nice, I remember hard borders [like between Chetwood and Archet] that you can now climb over, or even between the barrow downs and Andrach.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:19 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
I've been playing LOTRO for years, so I hope I can help!

In Angmar (which as you know is before Moria), there are two 'hillmen' tribes fighting (Trev Gallorg and Trev Duvardain.)
One quest line is for you to undertake the ceremonial 'Rite of Clucath'. To set the challenge, you climb a small pile of stones ('Cairn of Honour') on a hilltop and bring the Stone of Clucath from there to Crannog (Chief of the Trev Gallorg - the good guys.)
Soon after, you undertake the actual battle of the 'Rite of Clucath'.
It is actually The Stone of Erech =)

I sometimes find it odd, I pretty much grew up reading the trilogy - I was given the boxed set at 8 and it was my comfort food reading - like Christopher Lee I read it through at least once a year [and given my reading speed, and number of times I ended up bedridden sometimes 3 or 4 times a year] I own the movies, and they are in frequent background rotation, and I play the game, and sometimes they all sort of blend together. I have actually had reasonable lucid dreams where I am running around in the world of Middle Earth, not as one of the 9, but as myself - like I oopsed and fell through a portal or something.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Is it pitiful that I have done the Breeland quests and deeds that I have all the locations memorized? Sigh. I know I joke about it, but I should stream/record a character from creation through level 10, I can do it in around an hour.

On the plus side, the new servers and modification to the maps is nice, I remember hard borders [like between Chetwood and Archet] that you can now climb over, or even between the barrow downs and Andrach.
I've been playing LOTRO for over 8 years and have tried 9 of the classes (all interesting in different ways. )
So I too know all about Breeland (plus the Shire / Ered Luin / Lonelands / North Downs) - and can quickly get through any of the four introductions.

I too have enjoyed the small improvements to existing areas.

I'm grateful that the designers have such knowledge and respect for the Books.
When I first discovered the Forsaken Inn, I wondered why there were quests emanating from it. Then I found a single sentence in The Fellowship of the Ring that mentions the Forsaken Inn (I think Combe and Archet get a couple of references.)

I agree with you that the Books, movie and game fit with each other - each giving a different view of a marvellous creation.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I have no idea how I lost track of this thread, my abject apologies. Yes it is the Stone of Erech quest, Vol 3 Book 3 Ch 2 =) I went back into my various characters on both my accounts on both my servers [I have a euro server -Gwaihir, and a US server - Arkenstone] and discovered for some odd reason, I only did it once on my first character that hit that level - otherwise, I tend to sort of pop around and we randomly farm and do instances.

I couldn't find a video of this one but here is the wiki entry for it.