Old 02-16-2020, 11:41 PM

Let's get down to it (beck has reach a new bad, bad, bad low)

I've led a trifling life. There's no argument there. Mostly I've sat on the sidelines and watched as the Big ol' World passed me by.
Now, I've had my moments. And they were joyful.
How long can I sustain a joyful heart and kind countenance with these mere, tiny moments? I'm here to tell you folks, "not long"..indeed.
I'm in a definite slump. Things ain't rosy no more. (Eh, just health stuff, lonely moments, kids scattered, no chocolate in the house, corndogs banned from my mouth)

But, I've reached a new low.
I've been known to watch infomercials while bored. This is lower than that.
I've been known to clean bathrooms while I'm waiting on something to happen. This is lower than even scrubbing tile.
Hard to believe, I know.

There's a box in my closet. Been there for years. Today was the day I got it down. Had forgot what was in it. I shoulda just marched it to the burn barrel. But, Noooo!! Beck had to open it.
It was full of books. Hmmm? Lightweight for books. Strange.
Grabbed one out. Oh, my god. My baby sisters Nancy Drew mysteries. You remember those books were unnaturally lightweight. It's about 30 books.

I read 3 of them this afternoon.
Yep, ol'Beck has reached a new low.
They were pretty good, I have to say.

Oh, yay! There's a mysterious box in the linen closet. Maybe I pull it out tomorrow. ()
Old 02-16-2020, 11:52 PM
Charter Member

Hmmm. Watching infomercials, scrubbing the bathroom, or reading Nancy Drew?

I'd say you made the correct choice, Beck. Enjoy your books!
Old 02-17-2020, 12:44 AM

Hummmmmmmm, I remember the SHAMWOW! guy and slapchop and George Foreman and his amazing sandwich grill. Oh and Oxyclean as well. Have infomercials gotten worse since then? (I don't watch tv much) You're not watching one of those home shopping networks are you?

There is (sometimes) satisfaction in cleaning shower tile (and always relief when the job is finally done)

Reading is almost always good and sometimes its ok to let go of today's worries and visit old childhood memories and feelings with a favorite set of books. At least it isn't Dan Brown or 50 Shades of whatever its up to these days. Read on Miss Junior Detective and solve those mysteries.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:10 AM

I did order me a copper skillet biggest waste of $19.99 + s&h, (which brought it to $32.99). But, wait if you order in the next 10 minutes you get absolutely free another skillet and a recipe booklet. Plus, wait ..for..it..you also recieve the magic eggerator. Never got the eggerator. The recipe booklet was a Xerox copy of 5 dishes.
And....I owed $3.43 in excess shipping.

No freebies folks. The skillets make good dog food bowls.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 02-17-2020 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:23 AM

I've often wondered what happened to my Hardy Boys collection. Took me several years to get the books 1-50. They write more, but I stopped buying them.

They probably got boxed up for Goodwill. My mom doesn't remember.

Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew were heavily revised throughout the years. I found an old original edition Hardy Boys at a garage sell. They were driving a model A and using odd slang. My version from the 1970's was much different.

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-17-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:39 AM

For one of my primary school birthdays I got the first 12 books of the Nancy Drew series in a box. I don't have the books anymore, but that box is still one of my favorite gifts.

Now I have a warm fuzzy feeling.

And I'm glad I have something other than Nancy Drew books to read.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:56 PM

My MOTHER had a few Nancy Drew mysteries from when she was a girl. I read them over and over again. I got a kick out of compound words regularly hyphenated, and Nancy standing on the running boards of cars.

The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, The Bobbsey Twins...they all had an author attached to each series. That name was a pseudonym, and the publisher solicited stories from writers in bulk.

~VOW
Old 02-17-2020, 02:53 PM

These ones seem very dated in the writing. I figure they must've been handed down from an older cousin or friend.
My oldest sister remembers them but not where they came from.
Think I'll save them for the grand-wreks.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:08 PM

Got an email from my older brother. He claims he was working in an old Library and they slated the books for disposal and he grabbed them for his younger sisters. Apparently they are pretty old. I doubt they have any value. I've looked through a few more and there is lots of writing and coloring in them. I recognized my own drawings. I have no memory of them as a child though. Weird.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:18 PM

I still have American Girl books.....that I bought in my 30's!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2020, 07:45 PM

That's not a low. That's TREASURE! I gave away my Nancy Drew books when I was in my twenties or thirties and I've regretted it many times. I still have my Marguerite Henry books, however. Have fun reading!
Old 02-17-2020, 08:13 PM

Thinking more about this, Beck, I think you should get yourself some Harriet The Spy.

ppphhhttthhhttt!!! to all of you who say those were written for girls

Last edited by DorkVader; 02-17-2020 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:07 PM

How is Ned Nickerson these days? Did he ever pop the question to Nancy, or is he still going to the country club on his dad's dime? I read six or eight of them and then moved on to much tougher fare quite early in life. My parents were heavy readers so there was lots to choose from growing up. I even read the Book of Mormon, but I don't remember it.

Still, what a great trip down memory lane! I think it was a great idea, though you may not want to read more of her escapades. Any style in particular you like? I'm about to unload a couple boxes of books and I'd be happy to send some along to you. I like books to be thrown out because they are falling apart from being read so much, not thrown out because they aren't read.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:20 PM

Carnut, thanks for the offer. I haz the books. Too many in fact. I need to subtract. Can't bring myself to do it yet.
I like mysteries. Not so much these formulaic ones. But, they are cute and easy to read. I've decided I'm gonna read them all and then give them to the eldest grand-wrek. She's a very good reader already. Me and her can discuss them as she reads them.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Me and her can discuss them as she reads them.
That is an excellent plan!
Old 02-17-2020, 10:01 PM

Ooh Nancy Drew! Someone gonna get punched in the Solar Plexus
Old 02-17-2020, 10:07 PM

Could be worse. Could be watching web-cams all day.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:10 PM

I loved Nancy Drew! The girls in my neighborhood had a sort of competition to see who could read the most. I don't recall my number. Maybe 10? I always got Ned Nickerson's name mixed up and often said, "Nick Nedderson" instead. Nancy was a gal ahead of her time, driving around in her sporty roadster and solving mysteries with her gal pals Bess and George.

From time to time, I reread some of the few children's books I still have. They're fun and bring back comforting memories. I gave The Pink Motel and The Boxcar Children to my daughter. Both my kids loved those.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:11 AM

I was channel surfing and saw the CW channel started a Nancy Drew show this year. Figured I'd check it out. Let me tell you, it was not like the books! The CW Nancy is more into anonymous sex than I recall from the books!
Old 02-18-2020, 05:54 PM

Wow! That does sound outside her personality.
Once in awhile TCM plays some of those movies. They're pretty fun to watch.

When I was a young reader I liked the horse books and James Herriot. I got into mysteries later. When my friends were reading Stephen King, I was reading A.Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:03 PM

When we were kids, I "inoculated" my sister with the love of reading by giving her the set of "Little House" books by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

I never needed to be coerced to read. I think I was born knowing how to read, and it's a necessity of life to me, like breathing.

I gave a set of those books to my daughter when she was about ten, for the same reason, to get her reading.

The Daughter came to me not too long ago to say it was about time to give that set of books to COTU#1.

~VOW

(To the uninformed: COTU stands for "Center of the Universe." That's our shorthand for a grandchild. We have three, COTU#1, COTU#2, COTU #3)

Last edited by VOW; 02-18-2020 at 10:03 PM.