Old 08-14-2018, 05:09 PM

Anyone who trash talks the way you do (something I have more decency, class, and composure to ever engage in) has zero credibility to lecture me or anyone else about anything.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Anyone who trash talks the way you do (something I have more decency, class, and composure to ever engage in) has zero credibility to lecture me or anyone else about anything.
Okay, let's see you gracefully acknowledge your error about BLM. Feel free to explain how you were that ignorant of the mission of the organization.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
In the end, if a white person is found dead, it is ten times as likely that a black person will be charged with the crime, but it is harder to tell if that has anything to do with whether they committed it.
As our illustrious orange president has amply demonstrated, if you declare any data you don’t like to be “fake news” or the product of conspiracy, you can make any assertion you like and it is automatically unfalsifiable. Neat trick!
Old 08-14-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
But I basically got your history spot-on, right?

A little boy, told by well-meaning parents how smart he was, but fails every time he tries something that a child as smart as he's supposed to be would succeed at? So he stops trying.

You're not even an interesting story of failure. There's millions of children who are fucked up the same way you are (though most of them probably grow out of it--how fucking old are you, anyway?). People like you are the reason parents are told not to praise their children by calling them smart.

Anyway, you were demonstrating your decency, class, and composure by insulting an entire race of people, most of whom are better than you. Don't let me interrupt you.
"...the social ills of the nonwhite inner-city poor had their origin not in some mysterious flaws of African-American culture but in economic factors—specifically, the disappearance of good blue-collar jobs. Sure enough, when rural whites faced a similar loss of economic opportunity, they experienced a similar social unraveling." - Krugman
Old 08-14-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Okay, let's see you gracefully acknowledge your error about BLM. Feel free to explain how you were that ignorant of the mission of the organization.
I have never seen any BLM representative say in an interview, or at a protest, anything about anything other than white police officers who killed black people. But I acknowledge your cite that their Wikipedia page describes them as having a broader mission. If you have a cite for a high profile BLM interview or protest that was not predominantly about blacks’ loss of life at white hands, I will be more impressed.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I have never seen any BLM representative say in an interview, or at a protest, anything about anything other than white police officers who killed black people. But I acknowledge your cite that their Wikipedia page describes them as having a broader mission. If you have a cite for a high profile BLM interview or protest that was not predominantly about blacks’ loss of life at white hands, I will be more impressed.
Jesus. It took me literally 30 seconds. I only had to google "Deray McKesson interview", and got this: https://www.refinery29.com/2016/02/1...deray-mckesson

You're either being incredibly lazy or your vaunted intelligence is far, far lesser than you've been crowing. Or you're bullshitting me. This is basic, basic stuff.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 08-14-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
As our illustrious orange president has amply demonstrated, if you declare any data you don’t like to be “fake news” or the product of conspiracy, you can make any assertion you like and it is automatically unfalsifiable. Neat trick!
Did you not read the article where the chief of police was ordering his employees to pin unsolved crimes on black people?

Do you really think that that is the first time that ever happened?

It is not that I like or do not like the data, it is that some of those who are involved in creating that data have shown that some of the data is in fact, falsified.

How falsified it is, it is hard to say. But we know of at least one town in Florida where the statistical rate of black crime is higher than the actual rate of black crime, due to racist police enforcement.

Your buddy trump makes such claims with no evidence because he doesn't like the news. I point out evidence to show that the statistics may not be accurate, but you like those statistics so much, as it justifies your fear of black people, that you call the evidence fake news.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I have never seen any BLM representative say in an interview, or at a protest, anything about anything other than white police officers who killed black people.
You don't have time to educate yourself in any way other than listening to podcasts, but you have the time to watch (I assume "lots of", given how confident you are in your assertions) BLM interviews and protests? Huh.
"...the social ills of the nonwhite inner-city poor had their origin not in some mysterious flaws of African-American culture but in economic factors—specifically, the disappearance of good blue-collar jobs. Sure enough, when rural whites faced a similar loss of economic opportunity, they experienced a similar social unraveling." - Krugman
Old 08-14-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Economist View Post
Anyway, you were demonstrating your decency, class, and composure by insulting an entire race of people, most of whom are better than you. Don't let me interrupt you.
This is why I said you were too entertaining for m to want to let you self-banish from the board so easily. That was a sick burn, and much classier than your usual bile—so, kudos for that.

You’re wrong about my parents though. As social scientists, they were so deep into the “Blank Slate” paradigm, they treated IQ as an invalid yardstick and wouldn’t let me skip grades even when teachers urged it. (I was glad later when I could actually have a car for most of high school.)
Old 08-14-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
This is why I said you were too entertaining for m to want to let you self-banish from the board so easily. That was a sick burn, and much classier than your usual bile—so, kudos for that.

You’re wrong about my parents though. As social scientists, they were so deep into the “Blank Slate” paradigm, they treated IQ as an invalid yardstick and wouldn’t let me skip grades even when teachers urged it. (I was glad later when I could actually have a car for most of high school.)
Jesus again. You've got a complex or something. Well-adjusted smart people don't constantly crow about how smart they are.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 08-14-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Jesus. It took me literally 30 seconds. I only had to google "Deray McKesson interview", and got this: https://www.refinery29.com/2016/02/1...deray-mckesson

You're either being incredibly lazy or your vaunted intelligence is far, far lesser than you've been crowing. Or you're bullshitting me. This is basic, basic stuff.
Wait, what? I was honestly ready to be convinced, but...huh? There’s a lot of vague verbiage that could reference any cause. And he talked about his activism before BLM. But where’s the part that clearly lays out a broader BLM agenda? Can you quote it?
Old 08-14-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Wait, what? I was honestly ready to be convinced, but...huh? There’s a lot of vague verbiage that could reference any cause. And he talked about his activism before BLM. But where’s the part that clearly lays out a broader BLM agenda? Can you quote it?
Oh fuck you with your very obvious goalpost moving ("clearly lays out a broader BLM agenda"? What the fuck?).

You asked this: "If you have a cite for a high profile BLM interview or protest that was not predominantly about blacks’ loss of life at white hands, I will be more impressed."

That's exactly what I gave you.

Deray Mckesson is about as high profile a BLM activist as it gets, and that interview covered a ton of aspects of systemic and law enforcement bias, beyond just "blacks' loss of life at white hands" (at least, as much as a short interview possibly could). When you're shifting goalposts this far, and being this lazy, I'm not inclined to do your work for you.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 08-14-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:44 PM

Okay, this took 30 seconds again:

Quote:
You recently released a multifaceted campaign to end police violence in America, called Campaign Zero. What are you doing with that platform and its 10 "buckets" of issues?

"One of the core messages of Campaign Zero is that change will have to happen across all 10 of the buckets for it to actually change outcomes, for there to be a positive benefit in people's lives. Body cameras without independent investigation, or without fair police union contracts, means little.

"The second message is painting a clear picture for people about the discrete areas that we need to press on to get to change. The two most recent projects we launched were the police union contract project and the police use of force project, both things that I think are important. I talked to President Obama about both of them."
Old 08-14-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
That was a sick burn
It's the element of truth that makes it effective.

Quote:
and wouldn’t let me skip grades even when teachers urged it.
Probably the right decision by your parents. I'm not sure what your teachers were thinking.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:56 PM

It’s lazy to read the whole thing twice and give my honest reading? After all the disingenuous bullshit you’ve served up to me? Pish and tosh.

You’re technically right, though: in a sense that wasn’t predominantly about blacks’ loss of life at white hands, because most of it was nebulous and anodyne and not about anything in particular. But the only specific agenda I gleaned was about police shootings. If I missed something, quote it!
Old 08-14-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
It’s lazy to read the whole thing twice and give my honest reading? After all the disingenuous bullshit you’ve served up to me? Pish and tosh.

You’re technically right, though: in a sense that wasn’t predominantly about blacks’ loss of life at white hands, because most of it was nebulous and anodyne and not about anything in particular. But the only specific agenda I gleaned was about police shootings. If I missed something, quote it!
I just fucking quoted it. Jesus. This is getting awfully old.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Okay, this took 30 seconds again:
What part of that could unambiguously not possibly be about police shootings?
Old 08-14-2018, 05:59 PM

I can't help myself:

https://www.joincampaignzero.org/#vision

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_Zero

Quote:
Campaign Zero is a police reform campaign proposed by activists associated with Black Lives Matter, on a website that was launched on August 21, 2015. The plan consists of ten proposals, all of which are aimed at reducing police violence.

<snip>

Since its inception, Campaign Zero has collected and proposed policy solutions for police reform in ten areas. These 10 major policy solutions are ending broken windows policing, encouraging community oversight, limiting the use of force, independent investigation and prosecution, community representation, filming the police, training, ending for profit policing, demilitarization, and fair police union contracts.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 08-14-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Congratulations on your second Wiki cite. Now maybe an interview or protest where the emphasis was on something other than police shootings?
Old 08-14-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Congratulations on your second Wiki cite. Now maybe an interview or protest where the emphasis was on something other than police shootings?
No thanks. I'm not interested in your continuing goalpost shifting. Just face it -- you were very wrong about BLM. Very obviously wrong. You should have known better and now you're trying to make excuses for your ignorance.

It's okay. I've made mistakes before too.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
No thanks. I'm not interested in your continuing goalpost shifting. Just face it -- you were very wrong about BLM. Very obviously wrong. You should have known better and now you're trying to make excuses for your ignorance.

It's okay. I've made mistakes before too.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
Imagine a young 1960s white family in Detroit. Then riots happen in 1966, 1967, and 1968. A little digging shows that race riots aren't really a problem over in the suburb of Plymouth, so they relocate there. They don't want to weaken black people legally or socially, they just want a safe place to raise their kids, and they should not be regarded as oppressive overlords for that.
Did the riots just "happen"? Did Black Americans living in Detroit just wake up and decide it was going to be Afro American Halloween and scare whites? Or were they angry at something else?

While you're speaking of race riots, let's not forget the other race riots:

East St Louis 1917

Chicago 1919

Tulsa 1921

Watts 1965*

*Interesting how it almost presaged the riots of 1992.
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM

Uggh. I really have to stop engaging with Shodan about race. I came across this thread: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...=830768&page=3 in which Shodan insists that certain black people should be considered as n-words, and justifies this belief by citing a Chris Rock comedy bit.

Blech. I get it, this is how you feel, and we don't have to discuss this any longer. I hope you don't pass this awful stuff on to your children.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; Yesterday at 08:56 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM

I really feel stupid. Uggh. Sorry for stringing that out so long for the readers of this thread. I had been a participant in that thread and somehow didn't remember it.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; Yesterday at 09:12 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM

Hey, don't feel bad. Racist fuckwads don't feel bad, why should you?
Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM

Andy, I agree with you about what Shodan said in that thread. I’m surprised, though, that you used the n-word multiple times. (If I have ever written/typed it, or said it out loud, I don’t remember it.)
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Andy, I agree with you about what Shodan said in that thread. I’m surprised, though, that you used the n-word multiple times. (If I have ever written/typed it, or said it out loud, I don’t remember it.)
I didn't use it -- using it would be calling someone by the slur, or otherwise using it to demean/denigrate black people. I referenced it.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; Yesterday at 01:09 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM

Actually, a better word than "reference" -- I didn't use the slur, I mentioned it.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; Yesterday at 01:29 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM

Black woman told she was not hired because her name is "too ghetto".
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...ame-was-ghetto
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Black woman told she was not hired because her name is "too ghetto".
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...ame-was-ghetto
That's finally a story where I can believe the company was hacked. There is no way a company sends out an email like that on purpose.
Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Actually, a better word than "reference" -- I didn't use the slur, I mentioned it.
No: you used neither italics nor quotation marks, which surprised me. I wouldn’t even mention that word, personally.
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

Quote:
No: you used neither italics nor quotation marks, which surprised me. I wouldn’t even mention that word, personally.
I'm not really concerned about the opinion of someone who supports and defends white supremacist pseudo science on how to discuss the definitions of racial slurs.