Old 06-20-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I would buy the best nursing home in town, which would ensure a lot better experience for me than just having the money prepaid. If the manager knows they will be out on their ass if someone screws up, I'll be sure to have a good experience.
You need to make some provision in case you go senile.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:14 PM

I would establish a research commission to study and eventually implement a program of reparations for discriminatory policies and practices by the US government aimed at a single majority-black small town or neighborhood, to be tracked as a long-term experiment about the viability and results of a reparations program.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:51 PM

It's funny because when I read a lot of the answers people come up with I still feel like they really aren't understanding how this money will change them and those around them.

For example someone mentioned gifting their family members 500k quid or something.

Well what happens when they come back for the second 500k? You still have a billion dollars because you didn't even give away one years interest (you can easily spend $40M a year with a billion indefinitely).

So when they come back to the well do you say no? Why? 500k is literally nothing to you? What if they get mad and the family starts to disown you because you are being an "asshole" or whatever? Remember, again 500 is nothing to you at that point.

Or do you have the family who keeps begging talk to your "people" who will "take care of it" for you? The handlers will start to appear and shield you.

Most people don't have the exposure to this kind of money to see how much this is going to change their life and most importantly their thinking.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
You need to make some provision in case you go senile.
You mean when I go senile.
I was assuming a conservator. And you'd know I was senile when I started spending my money on hookers and blow.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:53 PM

Ok here's my challenge on this thought experiment. You've thought about what you would do immediately with the money. Now consider, what will it be like in 10 years? Consider now you've lived for 10 years as a billionaire. How would you change? How would that change what you do with the money?
Old 06-20-2019, 04:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I'd still be managing the ranch.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I'd still be managing the ranch.
Ok. Try to imagine how running the ranch for 10 years might change you.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:19 PM

First I would do everything to make sure that I and everybody I care about was healthy and secure. Then I would try to make that circle of people bigger in a sustainable way.

I would also eat hot dogs for every single meal and banish anybody who dared question me.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post
Ok. Try to imagine how running the ranch for 10 years might change you.
I would be a lot happier than I am now, making it my job to ensure that others have a grand time.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
It's funny because when I read a lot of the answers people come up with I still feel like they really aren't understanding how this money will change them and those around them.

For example someone mentioned gifting their family members 500k quid or something.

Well what happens when they come back for the second 500k? You still have a billion dollars because you didn't even give away one years interest (you can easily spend $40M a year with a billion indefinitely).
That was me, and the two points you are missing are that
a) My close family are not like that
b) I would purposefully not retain the ability to give them a second 500k and they would know that.

It can be hard to understand that some people aren't motivated by money but hey......I'm not, my family is not.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:28 PM

What would I do with a billion dollars? Whatever I want. And I'm not being facetious.

There's no need to overthink it. I have, at the very most, 50 years left on this planet. So I could structure an account that caps my annual withdrawals at 20 million and thus never worry about running out of cash. I could get by on that. I don't need a giant mansion; I'd probably buy a few nice condos in different cities, and spend a lot of time in hotels. I definitely wouldn't wish to clutter my life with lots of stuff.

Rather, I'd collect experiences. I don't really have a bucket list - I could just go wherever I want to, and do whatever I want to, whenever I want to. No grand plan needed.

I would be generous with friends and family, but not just by handing them wads of money. I'd take them on trips with me and share my experiences with them. If someone asked me for money, I'd find out what it's for and help with that particular expense. If anybody has a problem with me not being a never-ending gravy train, I won't mourn the loss of them from my life.

I have no kids, and thus nobody to leave my fortune to when I'm gone. At the end of each year, whatever portion of the 20 million I haven't spent goes to charity.

Last edited by Wheelz; 06-20-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
That was me, and the two points you are missing are that
a) My close family are not like that
b) I would purposefully not retain the ability to give them a second 500k and they would know that.

It can be hard to understand that some people aren't motivated by money but hey......I'm not, my family is not.
Hard to say unless it happens. It only takes one greedy family member to screw a family up though. I've seen it happen first hand.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
First off you wouldn't be insured if you did that. Also, you would get a horrible rate of return.

What would actually happen is you would be elevated to the private client division of the bank you are dealing with. They would offer to help you (e.g. sell you stuff) but you also get a higher level of service.

In practice with a billion dollars though you would likely end up using a private office. This is an investment firm that you own that invests your money for you.
Why would I care about the rate of return? I have a billion dollars. Given my stated spending plan it would probably take me several thousand years to run out of money even if it didn't grow at all! Even with inflation eroding it!

Though I admit I wouldn't be surprised if the local branch of my credit union paled and immediately directed me to their manager's manager's manager's manager. In any case my goal would be unchanged: I want to have have a card with which I can buy any damn thing I want, should I need it. (And then I want another card which will have a more reasonable amount of money on it for daily use.)

Quote:

So when they come back to the well do you say no? Why? 500k is literally nothing to you? What if they get mad and the family starts to disown you because you are being an "asshole" or whatever? Remember, again 500 is nothing to you at that point.

Or do you have the family who keeps begging talk to your "people" who will "take care of it" for you? The handlers will start to appear and shield you.

Most people don't have the exposure to this kind of money to see how much this is going to change their life and most importantly their thinking.
Which is why I wasn't going to give anybody anything.

Also, why do they have to know how much money I have? Did they catch sight of me receiving it or something? How much money I have isn't really any of their business.

Which is not to say that my sudden early retirement and house purchase won't raise eyebrows, but in the circles I run in a person's money is their own business.

Quote:
Ok here's my challenge on this thought experiment. You've thought about what you would do immediately with the money. Now consider, what will it be like in 10 years? Consider now you've lived for 10 years as a billionaire. How would you change? How would that change what you do with the money?
Well, under my stated plan I'm set until I die of old age, get reincarnated, die again, repeat a hundred more times.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:

For me, I only have one family member I am planning on helping (Mom), and I know how she is going to act. (She's also almost 80 - I don't expect her to last that much longer anyway).

My brother? I might start giving him $500 Amazon gift cards for presents instead of what I do now, but I already think he's a jerk. If he gets mad at me for not making his life cushy, I won't consider it a loss if he wants to cut ties. The only reason I don't know is because of Mom.

The rest of my family are much better off than I am currently, as well off as I am, or I don't like them anyway. Again, the gift cards might be sweet, but I won't be bankrolling their life to begin with, and if they are venal enough to be mad about it, I won't consider it a loss.

Come to think of it, I could hire a helper for my aunt, but if her very, very well off lawyer son hasn't, maybe she doesn't need it?

And... I honestly don't have many friends IRL - I have several facebook friends that I never interact with outside of the internet. There's a couple of people at my work that I consider friends, but I'm prone to losing friends when I leave companies, so losing them would be almost expected.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Now consider, what will it be like in 10 years? Consider now you've lived for 10 years as a billionaire. How would you change? How would that change what you do with the money?
No worries, I'll be dead in a decade. I'm 61. In ten years I'll be 71 and that decade of extreme decadence will take its toll, but I'm cool with that.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:05 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Whenever my husband and I play the "What if we hit the lottery?" game, one thing that always comes up is scholarships. We've never figured out all the details, but we both agree on the value of education. So with a billion dollars, apart from making our lives as comfortable as we want and traveling as much as we want (first class, of course...) we'd establish a foundation to spread the wealth around for education.

For now, the best we can do is set up a 529 plan for our granddaughter.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro
I'm feeling like people aren't really understanding how much money a billion is.
Yeah, everyone seems to drastically under and over estimate how much a billion is. You aren't going to solve poverty with a billion dollars. OTOH, I'm not sure how I would spend a billion dollars living even the most opulent life I can imagine. It's like "no duh", you'd pay off your mortgage and your children's tuition. You could pay off a mortgage on the most expensive condo in Manhattan and have enough left over to donate an entire building to Harvard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro

I don't normally put a price on family...and yet here we are.

The real problem is when every third cousin you've never met comes out of the woodwork. Although that's not really a problem as they can just be told to fuck off and go back to not knowing they exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker
No worries, I'll be dead in a decade. I'm 61. In ten years I'll be 71 and that decade of extreme decadence will take its toll, but I'm cool with that.
With that sort of wealth, you could easily live another two, maybe three-hundred years.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:08 AM

I would split the pot five ways, pmr for the missus and myself, one each for the kids and their spouses and the fifth a trust fund for charity/the rest of the large extended family, some of whom need financial help that we can't provide now. Since none of us are very interested in possessions or the trappings of wealth (of course, that hasn't really been tested to date), a two or three percent return on the funds would make us ridiculously more comfortable and secure than we've ever imagined.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:43 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Nobody is going to inherit anything and family is getting minimal. Sit down with the accountants and figure out how much we can spend per year until I'm 100. Then establish lots and lots of scholarships. Maybe set up a few dozen "Magnificent Conspiracy" used car lots. Lots of businesses could be opened that are needed, and when you don't need to show an instant profit or repay the capital investment it gets easier to do. Heck, give Detroit $10 million a year for 5 years to tear down buildings and create greenspaces out their abandoned neighborhoods.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

A friend of mine's plan for if he ever gets a hundred-million-dollar windfall is to buy politicians. No, not the President, or anything like that: That's too expensive even for a billionaire. But that'll still get you a lot of more local politicians, things like state legislators. Maybe he can't single-handedly end poverty, but he can get a lot of people to vote for laws that he thinks will decrease poverty.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:46 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Hard to say unless it happens. It only takes one greedy family member to screw a family up though. I've seen it happen first hand.
If a family member turns into a dick now I would have no problem dumping them and Im poor. That wont change when Im rich.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:36 PM

I pretty much wouldn't do anything different other than quit my job and eat every meal at some expensive restaurant like I'm on a high-class cruise ship. Probably hire some top-rated chef and assistants to make all my meals so I wouldn't have to bother with mingling with the peasants. I'd throw all the money into my Schwab account and manage it the same way I'm managing the funds of several magnitudes lower size, write up my will* for what would happen to everything thing that's left after I'm done with life, and continue being the lazy bum that I am when not at work, because that's what I want to be. I can pretty much already afford everything I would actually want to stay entertained, with there being a large stack of video games that I've purchased and haven't gotten to, having an extremely comfortable living space that I can't imagine that spending money could actually improve, so other than the best food, there's nothing I'd really want to change. Traveling in general is bad for the environment, so I only do so when economically necessary, thus in this hypothetical I would do much less of it.

*While I haven't decided on what my will will look like quite yet, I have some ideas. I have no children (and highly doubt I ever will) and no siblings, so if I predecease my mother it all goes back to her, and otherwise goes to various charities that I find worthwhile. No one gets a cent until I'm dead though; you never know how much easing your suffering is going to cost you as you get older.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:41 PM

Oh, I guess the one thing I forgot would be to hire the best doctors and physical therapists to figure out what the hell is wrong with my back and what I could do to fix it with little risk. The fact that it didn't occur to me initially is indicative of the fact that it's not a huge deal, but it definitely is one of those things where if money was no longer a concern I'd try to get straightened out. I basically need to continually do some of the things I was taught in physical therapy to have it not bother me, and I'd rather have it fixed in some way so that I wouldn't need to bother. And yes, it's not just a normal back pain thing, there's definitely some kind of pinched nerve, but I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of trying to deal with it more than I already do unless I knew I could spare the money.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:49 AM

I came across a number of articles recently related to the concept of the "family office" at it made me think of this thread.
Example:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/russala.../#327db7964f00

Basically, the concept is a number of families are so wealthy, they have what basically amounts to entire firms in areas such as law, accounting, private equity, etc solely dedicated to managing that family's wealth as their only client.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
"Plaid Panty" is still an option, y'know.
That should be the name of a Scottish lingerie store.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
That should be the name of a Scottish lingerie store.
Gas station/Scottish lingerie store.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limmin View Post
Turned out, I only "need" a much smaller figure, way less than a million, to make me comfortable and accomplish all these goals.
You must not think very big; it's EASY for me to imagine several million worth of expenditures- homes, cars, travel, vacations, etc...

I suspect if I had a billion dollars, my first priority would be to set myself, my immediate family and my descendants up with trusts/college funds/etc.. in case something catastrophic happened.

That would probably leave something like 500-750 million left. I suspect at that point, I'd probably spend some relatively small amount like 10 million on "fun" stuff- houses, toys, etc...

I don't think I have the motivation or ambition to buy a company and try to run it (why would I? I already have a billion dollars!), so I imagine I'd hire an outfit to manage it for me, and I'd engage in my hobbies, volunteering and philanthropy.

Somewhere in there, I'd probably engage the services of people to help me eat properly, exercise more and lose weight. I don't imagine that would amount to more than a few hundred thousand a year though.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:04 PM

Normal Billionaire stuff.

Nice properties in every place I would vacation a lot. Not super extravagant, maybe $1M properties (this would not buy much in a lot of prime vacation spots, e.g. NYC).

A few nice cars at each of my nice houses.

Extravagant house at home base.

Nice yacht (we'll say $2M), maybe a private jet (though chartering would likely be adequate).

Decent houses and cars for any close relative that needed it.

I could do all that for likely under $100M.

Invest the rest, pull all returns of investment into charity.

Last edited by Ashtura; 08-21-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:50 PM

I'm struck by how many people would fund scholarships, that's very laudable.

I saw an article that Paul Allen's yacht the Octopus is for sale for $325M USD. If you had a billion dollars this boat would actually be too much for you long term.
With running costs likely in the $50-100M a year range as this boat has a lot of specialized equipment that requires maintenance for example a submarine, not to mention normal marine maintenance on what is basically a ship.

Anyway, if I had like $10B I would totally buy that thing, it's amazing. It's not a normal sunshine yacht, the thing is built for adventure.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm struck by how many people would fund scholarships, that's very laudable.

I saw an article that Paul Allen's yacht the Octopus is for sale for $325M USD. If you had a billion dollars this boat would actually be too much for you long term.
With running costs likely in the $50-100M a year range as this boat has a lot of specialized equipment that requires maintenance for example a submarine, not to mention normal marine maintenance on what is basically a ship.

Anyway, if I had like $10B I would totally buy that thing, it's amazing. It's not a normal sunshine yacht, the thing is built for adventure.
The two happiest days of a boat owner's life - the day he buys the boat, and the day he sells it.

But you are correct - buying anything high-maintenance like that is how you lose money.

I would rather donate a lot to some scientific foundation to get them some cool new equipment, and then expect to be treated like royalty by them - guided tours of the new space telescopy base, or the particle accelerator, or whatever.

A billion wouldn't be enough, but one fantasy is to be so rich that I could call together a conference of aeronautical and space engineers, and walk out in front of them and say "We're going to Mars. Who wants to come along?"

Regards,
Shodan
Old 09-12-2019, 01:48 PM

I'd buy a billion people a taco.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

I'd commission The Barenaked Ladies to re-write that song.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:43 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Yep, the first thing I'd if I won a huge lottery jackpot or something would be to go talk to a professional financial advisor.
Your first call should be to a lawyer, but that would not be the worst thing.

I am in agreement with a lot of people in that with a billion dollars, I would become a philanthropist. My full time job would be investing the money in a safe manner and then turning the profits into social good. I would try to keep my giving a secret - I want no credit at all, not so much as a mention - but that might be hard to do. I'd try.

Of course we'd go on vacations and drive nicer cars, but our tastes aren't expensive enough to make much of a dent in a billion dollars. I'd make us live off an allowance paid for from interest.

Last edited by RickJay; 09-12-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:15 PM

If I were really able to chase after interests I could easily spend far more than a billion and would really have to severely limit myself. I would want probes for all the major known Trans-Neptonian objects, but would have to limit myself to maybe 3 or 4, for example (and a proper orbiter instead of a flyby would be much more expensive, even further limitations.) If I skipped the space exploration, I'd love to build a world-class Natural History museum here in my home state. I don't know exactly how much it would cost to build and furnish a world-class science museum, but I'm thinking at least a few hundred million (and would probably run at a loss and need a foundation to keep the doors open.)

For personal use, even 10 million is more than I would use in the rest of my life if I had it, but for scientific/cultural interests, a billion is kind of measly.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limmin View Post
Yes. The sum is staggering and warps the world. It's many orders of magnitude more than you can deal with by yourself. So thoughts turn to putting the money to work for good causes.

And yet, there are quite a few multibillionaires. Left long enough, you might start believing that you're somehow special just because, you know, of the huge sum of money.

Conclusion: I really don't want a billion dollars.
I also would not really want a billion to fall into my lap. People can have their opinions about the 'social value' of what various self made billionaires have done but from those people's own POV they worked hard to create something. That's missing if it's a pure windfall. Which perhaps could be applied also to inheriting a billion but in that case you've probably grown up used to the idea.

It would not, I believe, make me think I'm special. The problem would be the feeling of obligation I'm pretty sure I'd have to work hard to make a positive difference in the world with that money. But that's not what I really want to do at this stage of life (retired, financially comfortable). It would be a burden.

Lesser still very large amounts would be fine. Where it would turn negative is amounts so large I'd feel overwhelming obligation to make a 'big picture' difference with the money.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:44 AM

Id like to start a program at schools all over the country. The kids would contribute an answer to a question like: how best could a million dollars improve your community?. The kids would vote on it, and when the plan was implemented, would manage the funds. Theyd learn all kinds of civic and financial lessons.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:49 AM

First step is to tell my wife but nobody else, and ask her to keep the secret as well. Next step is to pay off all our debts. Id buy a few nice things like a new car for myself and another for my wife (high 5 digit to low 6 digit range) and a new house in the same city where I currently live (around mid 6 figure range). Id quietly pay off the debts of other close loved ones in those situations where doing so anonymously is possible. This would include immediate family and very close friends only, not second cousins of my brother in laws next door neighbors best friend or anything like that. Id have time to pursue the things I want to but dont currently have time for*. Of course after all that Id still have somewhere between 998 and 999 million.

Then it would be time to start looking into charitable works. Im the type who would want to be more hands on while remaining anonymous so Id set up some kind of foundation. Id probably focus on environmental causes, things like purchasing environmentally sensitive areas that someone else wants to ruin by developing, and purchase that land and set it aside to remain wilderness.

*. My hobbies arent very monetarily intensive but also boring so Im listing them down here. They include reading fiction (horror and suspense), playing video games, and learning about things like quantum mechanics. Id probably have a few more expenses in these areas, but probably nothing that would add up to more than one or two million dollars.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:49 AM

I do know that I would definitely spend and/or donate most of it. To me, money is only worth what it can buy. If hoarded, it's nothing more than a bunch of impressive numbers.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:50 AM

ETA. I had one other idea. It might be beneficial to tell people that you won a million dollars but that after paying off your debts and spending on a few minor luxuries most of the money is now gone.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:08 AM

If I came into a billion dollar windfall, the first thing I'd do is consult with an attorney and figure out how in the world to stay as anonymous as I possibly could.

Second, I'd invest it for the meantime in much the same way that Dinsdale describes- several capital managers and auditors, all from large, established firms.

I'd probably earmark some portion of it for personal use(maybe 200 million or so) and then set about using the remainder to endow some sort of charitable foundation- not sure what yet. Something that could be done with about 25 million per year investment income, as I'd want to reinvest some of the income to grow the endowment and eventually raise the charity's scope or reach.

With my remaining 200 million, I'd probably take a couple of million as "fun" money, and travel/spend it on relatively frivolous stuff. The rest would be for retirement, everyday living, etc... One thing I've fantasized about would be to rent a space in a light industrial area with a large garage door, and floor drains, and make it into my "man hobby cave", where I'd have cool homebrewing equipment, a woodworking shop, smokers, grills, etc... and a large airconditioned home theater type area with a game console, a office with a super-tricked out PC for games, and a crazy-fast internet connection- like maybe my own OC-12 or higher to connect it all.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:24 AM

I'd buy Greenland.

It's for sale, isn't it?
Old 09-13-2019, 02:53 PM

I would use the bulk of the money to purchase a majority stake in an NBA franchise. The Memphis Grizzlies last sold for $350M, and while the value of that team has increased I'm guessing somewhere around $600M would get me the whole thing, inclusive of the stadium. The rest I'd divide into four chunks of $100M - one chunk each into trusts for my two children, one chunk for charitable donations of various shapes and sizes, and one chunk in a very low-risk account to live on in case the Grizzlies thing doesn't work out.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Like, good USA dollars, or small, Hong Kong dollars not even printed by their government?
Old 09-13-2019, 11:47 PM

I still think you guys are massively under estimating the lifestyle inflation that will happen when you are a billionaire.

Once you start flying private and get used to the truly first class travel you aren't going back to TSA groping and tiny coach seats.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:41 AM

I would hire a man dressed as a smurf to follow my friend Keith around everywhere he goes.

When youre a billionaire, you dont need reasons.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Once you start flying private and get used to the truly first class travel you aren't going back to TSA groping and tiny coach seats.
Actually, this, I'd do. I'm already used to it. My company used to have its own terminal and plane fleet. I really, really miss this.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:57 PM

Step 1, hire a lawyer, get personal liability insurance
Step 1a. Hire the proper mix of professionals to help manage the money
Step 2 deteemine the amount needed to live the remainder of my days uninhibited by finances but without comspicous comsumption
Step 3 establish a trust for each of my younger family members just starting or getting ready to start out in life in order to give them a little help being independantly successful in life
Step 4 give the rest away (I even already know which charitable organizations will recieve the money) this amount should be somewhere close to half the money, possibly a little more
Old 09-14-2019, 04:58 PM

Eta step 1b hire a "preposting proofreader"
Old 09-14-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
Actually, this, I'd do. I'm already used to it. My company used to have its own terminal and plane fleet. I really, really miss this.
Im not so sure. Having the use of someone elses private jet would be good. Owning and operating one would be a pain though. You have to arrange all the stuff that airlines do in the background that you are completely oblivious to. Overflight charges and permissions, customs and immigration, maintenance, pilots, cabin crew, etc etc. All for something that you might not even use that much.

I think it would be better to charter business jets as and when you want to. Get all the benefit without the hassle.