Old 03-21-2019, 08:31 PM
Friend of Cecil

What do you owe the Dope?

Eighteen years ago today, a SDMB thread inspired me to quit smoking, and today I celebrate 18 years smoke free. I'm overwhelmed with gratitude when I think about what that fateful thread did for my life.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has stories of what positives have come about in their lives thanks to the Straight Dope.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:13 PM

I am a newer member. I have had things to say my whole life. I just never did. I just lived and managed. I think the SD has given me a voice. I've also made a friend or 2. Which is really nice. It's all in all been a good thing.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:32 PM

Because of some awesome Dopers, I was able to be a Balloon Handler in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and go to the Magic Castle in Hollywood.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Mixed bag. I came in with a long history of spewing complex thoughts that I thought were brilliant insights but not finding any community with the patience to hear them. At the 'Dope I encountered people who were more often willing to hear me out and then dismiss what I was saying from a fully informed vantage point
Old 03-22-2019, 12:23 AM

Mix of AHunter3 and Beckdawreck. Lotsa brilliance and willing to share once I felt comfortable. I've learned that around here I'm not really that brilliant even though I'm smarter than probably most of you.
Learned right quick like to keep my mouth shut most of the time almost as soon as I felt comfortable talking amongst you all.

BTW Beck, I remember when you first came here. You really have blossomed, you're one of my favorites, your posts are always a delight to read. You sorta remind me of another Beck I knew long ago.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:28 AM
Charter Member

The SDMB helped me plan my move to Chicago almost 7 years ago. I’ve gotten numerous excellent suggestions for books and films as well.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestchaz View Post
Mix of AHunter3 and Beckdawreck. Lotsa brilliance and willing to share once I felt comfortable. I've learned that around here I'm not really that brilliant even though I'm smarter than probably most of you.
Learned right quick like to keep my mouth shut most of the time almost as soon as I felt comfortable talking amongst you all.

BTW Beck, I remember when you first came here. You really have blossomed, you're one of my favorites, your posts are always a delight to read. You sorta remind me of another Beck I knew long ago.
Why, thank you.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:19 AM
Charter Member

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but having heard about Fox TV over the years, and having cable tv in my hotel room, decided to take a look.

Omg, Jesus on a pogo stick, what the everloving hell?

How on earth is Fox getting away with such a partisan news commentary?

It truly beggars belief.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:21 AM

Well, I find myself doubting Facebook posts which I find dubious. If you can't back it up with a reliable cite, then don't share it.
You would think that's intuitive, but it's not.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:30 AM

Widened vocabulary, a place to keep using (hopefully) correct English when I'm in an environment that doesn't, it led me to join Mensa Spain (hi JoseB! no it wasn't his fault but he's also a well-known member), and it introduced me to a lot of people and situations that I'd be unlikely to encounter irl. Some of those situations I have later encountered irl and the place where I did has been Mensa meetings, which kind of brings things full-circle.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

What do I owe the Dope?
Tree-fiddy.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:46 AM

This is what I wrote in the thread announcing Cecil's retirement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancia View Post
This makes me sad in a way thatís hard to define.

I work as a high school level writing & English comp teacher (among other subjects, but thatís my natural habitat). Yesterday was a particularly stressful day at work and I didnít get to log onto the Dope until late in the evening, where I saw this announcement.

Edís Cecilís announcement got me reminiscing about how I came to be a teacher, and the impact the Straight Dope has had on me. I was given the first Straight Dope book as a birthday gift by a middle school teacher of mine, ca. 1993. At that age I was both a trivia junkie and loved silly comics so the snark and wisecracks from the early SD columns instantly appealed to me. However, it was years before I found the next book. By that time I was in high school and I found myself emulating Cecilís style in my research essaysómuch to my teacherís chagrin. Finding the second book, and then the rest in relatively quick succession, helped ignite in me a love of writing. Simply put, I wanted to write and I wanted to write like Cecil did.

When I finally went to college in my late 20ís writing well had become second nature. One day I was pulled aside after class by one of my profs and was asked if Iíd be willing to be a writing tutor for other undergrads. I was taken aback, but quickly accepted and the rest, as they say, is history. It probably sounds corny (and it probably is), but I credit the Straight Dope with building my zeal and confidence as a writer and helping to parlay into a wonderful career. Iíve only once read the column in an actual paper copy of the Reader, ca. 2006 when a traveling relative brought back from Chicago a copy of the paper at my request. I regret that I didnít keep it.

I donít post much to the boards as I feel Iím a drooling simpleton compared to many of the truly smart and talented people that post here. That said, I read the boards daily and have yet to be bored by the conversations that abound on the forums. My first post was in 2007 when it was pay-to-post. I didnít pony up for a membership then, something I regret if only for the cool ďCharter MemberĒ title.

I think I can honestly say the Straight Dope has had a profound impact on my life. Subtle, to be sure, but I think who I am today can, in a truly discernable way, be traced back to the SD. Maybe someday soon Iíll buy a board membership as way of cementing my love of this place and the influence the SD has had on my career.
I love the Dope and owe a lot to it. The SD was my teenage grunge music.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:53 AM

I read the site for years but never delved into the message boards, but I had a longtime girlfriend leave me and I was terribly lonely. The Dope gave me some human interaction and some positives along the way. I'm too lazy to look for it now, but I started a "My day was terrible, please say something nice" thread and the responses were hilarious...it literally made my day.

On the flipside of that I also took a shit-ton of pills one night and talked about it and I had a bunch of people wanting to make sure I was ok...that wouldn't have happened IRL at the time because no one else cared.

Ever since then I've been a regular poster and "my internet friends" have been a key part of my life.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:54 AM

This is a tiny thing but I learned on here that to easily unwind the power cable of my vacuum I could just turn the hook upside down. I knew the hook turned but it literally never occurred to me that it would work like that and that was why it works that way in the first place.

As far as the column, I read and reread those books a hundred times. Hours and hours of entertainment and information.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:00 AM

What do I owe the Pope? Nothing, I'm not even Catholic. What the hell makes you think I'd owe the Pope anything. I've never even...

What's that? The Dope?

Nevermind.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:34 AM

For many years I've been a member on a single-interest discussion board where the members all tend to be white, middle-class, middle-aged, able-bodied and almost exclusively heterosexual* men with disposable income. Generally speaking they're good folk, and I've been to many gatherings with them IRL and enjoyed their company. But with such a narrow demographic, their perspectives and experiences tend to be comparably narrow.

I discovered SDMB in '07, and the difference is eye-opening. The membership here is much more diverse: openly LGBTQ folks, people struggling with substantial physical/mental health issues, people in all different income brackets (including some homeless folks) who live/have lived all over the world and have been through a huge variety of life experiences, all with a different perspective to offer on whatever subject happens to come up. I like GQ for the ability to get obscure factual/technical questions answered by an expert in the field, but I've found that IMHO is equally enlightening on fuzzier issues or on matters of personal preference. Because of the Dope, I feel I'm much better informed on a wide variety of technical issues, but I'm also better informed on what makes other people tick - why they prefer the things they do, why they enjoy/hate this activity or that, why they feel this way or that about any given subject.

TL,DR: the Dope has made me smarter and more empathetic than I used to be.

* There were only a couple of openly gay men (and one lesbian) on the site that I was aware of, and of course I have no idea about any closeted gay folks.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:39 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

The Dope owed me a mug but a finally got that.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:41 AM

Nothing that I can think of.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:48 AM

The Dope taught me to be more conscientious when I communicate. When I first joined this place, I was a lot more inclined to blurt out insensitive or questionable things without giving much thought to how I would come across. Then I lurked here, and saw the way people would get ripped to shreds if they weren't extremely careful about how they worded their posts. And since I wanted to participate in conversations, but didn't want to get ripped to shreds, I developed a habit of being a nicer person and expressing my opinion in a less confrontational way.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:49 AM

Still owe the dope and member Random from over a decade ago for my $3,000.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...hlight=Florida
Old 03-22-2019, 12:07 PM

I grew up in a family where disagreement wasn't tolerated. I learned early to never disagree with my dad on any subject. Yes Sir, was my expected response. He was career military and that's just how it was. Everything was SOP in his world.

I never received any debate or critical thinking training or experience in school. Teacher's lectures were intended to be viewed as factual and regurgitated on tests.

Consequently I never engage in debate in real life. Don't want to lose friends or create a bad environment at work.

The Dope is the only place I dare express a strong opinion. Often with disasterous results, but I've learned a lot by reading how others here engage in spirited debate. I'll never have those skills without formal training.

At least the Dope does offer me a place to express myself.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-22-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:59 PM
born to be shunned

A little more understanding of the other side; pick the topic yourself. I was never an automatic hater of views opposite mine but I find myself more able to calmly discuss a lot of things that used to be triggers with me. I am one of those strange people who has a need to be more polite when the "other side" is faceless.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:08 PM

When my father passed away in 2010, it was difficult for me to talk about it, even with my closest friends and family. I wrote a post on the Dope about it, and a subsequent one describing the burial-at-sea we did with his ashes.

I was able to type some of the things that I couldn't (or wouldn't) say out loud, and the sympathy, support, and validation I got - from a group of total strangers - meant the world to me at the time, and became a big part of my greiving and healing process.

All these years later I still think about those threads sometimes. Thank you, Dopers.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:47 PM

I have a feeling I may have posted this before, but maybe not, and if I haven't then I should.

Way back in the dim days of 2010 some Doper, whose post I can't now find posted a "should I be concerned about FriendsChild?" thread on the grounds of 'well, he's two already and he's not doing this... he's not doing that...' and I was totally about to post an 'eh, I have a two-year-old who's not doing those things, and he's ... not .... um ...'

*massive lightning bolt to the head*

The direct, indirect and cumulative results of all this (some of which documented in this freaking out thread form not much later) were a bunch of testing, including a two-year-old development assessment which he failed abysmally, a diagnosis of 'mild to moderate Autism' in early 2011, and shit-tons of early intervention of various sorts as a result of which he's now, in Grade 6

- Fully integrated into his mainstream classroom, and has been since Grade 1
- Has a bunch of friends, one or two of whom are or could be also diagnosed with a 'thing' of some sort, but mostly not
- In the top class for maths, in the debating club (which CONSTANTLY amazes and delights me, considering what a slog it was for him learning to talk at all, in the first place), science club, plays piano and does martial arts
- Self-identifies with pride as a 'Massive Nerd' (as in 'hey, there was a pretty cool kid at science club - he's a Massive Nerd just like me!' ... when I came to pick him up they were having an involved discussion about the mechanics of a teleportation device so, yeah, accurate)
- Basically pretty awesome in every respect (says the totally unbiased observer)

So in conclusion ... well ... that.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:55 PM

Too late to edit: it was Caricci, who hasn't posted in a while, but may still pop in to lurk now and again. Thanks Caricci.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

It's a great place to voice opinions, learn a lot, laugh a lot, and hopefully contribute somewhat. I look at my post count from time to time and it's no wonder I don't get much done.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Well back in 2006, a Doper recommended some Koss headphones that I'm still using today.

And last year someone helped me to find a documentary clip that I needed for work.

But mostly I've just learned about the world, explored hundreds of topics and read dozens of books that I wouldn't have heard about otherwise. I was here all day on 9/11 when I couldn't stand the news anymore, and I was here all night celebrating in 2008 when Barack Obama was elected. I was here through all of the discussions about whether same-sex marriage would ever be legal in the U.S., and I was here when the Supreme Court made its ruling. I was able to thoughtfully examine my positions on many controversial issues and discover whether they had solid evidence behind them. I had some of the best laughs, and read some of the funniest one-liners. I was even able to solve a mystery.

I can't imagine how different my life would be if I hadn't found this board 19 years ago.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:25 PM

The Dope is my news site - without the Dope I would know nothing about Trump or the actions of the Republican party.

...does that mean I should burn the place down?
Old 03-25-2019, 04:48 PM

I've been here since mid 2000. At times, I needed the SDMB very badly. I've struggled with chronic depression for a looooong time. At present, I'm actually applying to part time jobs and doing pretty well. But, there were dark days when the sdmb was the only reason I could get out bed.

I've gotten the chance to share my writing. I remain very proud of Orpheus As It Should Be. My take on Icarus was in Teemings.

I've also made friends. Meros,Cleophus, Varrain and TruePisces used to meet for Dungeons & Dragons once a week or so. It ended when Varrainand TruePisces moved to Tennessee. I've gotten support and encouragment from other Dopers.

I've learned about all kinds of things.

I owe the Dope a thank you.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:04 PM

The Dope has helped me out with computer problems a number of times.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:42 AM

It's a sounding board so I don't have to yell stuff out loud on the bus like a crazy person.

Plus I learned how to make perfect hard boiled eggs here.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:10 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I didn't realize how limited my knowledge base was till I became active here. Oh, I knew lots of stuff, but I didn't know a lot about people, despite being 46 when I joined. I've also learned that things may not be as black and white as I used to view them. Frankly, I'd had a pretty sheltered existence for a long time, maybe because I didn't look beyond what I knew to be right. So I guess mostly, I owe thanks to the Dope for opening my eyes to the real world.

And I've made friends - some remain imaginary, but I've met many, and even allowed Dopers into my house!!! All in all, it was a pretty happy day when I stumbled across this message board.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:14 AM

Lots of things, but the ones that immediately jump to mind are the Smokenator and the website amazingribs.com; as well as a Turkish coffee grinder that I use for as a pepper grinder.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
I've also learned that things may not be as black and white as I used to view them.
This is also my biggest take away.

One other thing that this board helped me through was getting out of a long-term and very toxic relationship that I thought I was stuck in for life. Without actually whining about it on here, I just read the shared experiences of other's struggles that were similar to mine and it gave me the courage to make an exit plan and go through with it.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:43 PM
BANNED

Forums are known as special interest forums. Thus I joined guitar, computer and gun forums. This forum in my guess is topics forum or "dope" as you put it. I haven't seen other forums like it so I joined.

I owe this forums for providing data ("dope" as you put it) from the mouths of everyday folks. This forum is unique and I'm glad to be here.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:01 AM

I owe a lot to the Straight Dope books. I even used a few of Cecil's answers when I taught high school--and yes, I had to explain that the book title had nothing to do with weed.

And I owe so much to the SDMB that I can't list it all--practical information and advice, as well as some truly great debates. When I'm stunned or outraged or horrified at something on the news, I automatically come here for insight and support.

Thanks, Dopers and Ed (and TubaDiver and the mods).
Old 03-27-2019, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
....And I've made friends - some remain imaginary, ..
Yes. I've also made imaginary friends. Well, some after connecting on Facebook are not so imaginary, but we haven't met in real life and likely never, ever will.
But I love you folks for who you are.

Friends in Australia, England, USA, Germany, and acquaintances from a half dozen other countries: what's not to love about that?
Old 03-27-2019, 01:52 AM

I just thought of something else. I've had pets my whole life. Dogs, ponys, small birds, hamsters and mice. And a few cats. As an adult I volunteered at a shelter and fostered cats and dogs, and one memorable guinea pig. We had barn cats always. They were basically feral. 3 years ago I dove in head first to cat slave-hood. I researched and studied and decided a Siamese was the one I wanted. Got all the accoutrement. Visited and paid a deposit on a male kitten. Kittens were born. 2nd visit. Got the hard sell on another kitten. Weaning happened. Time to pick up baby! Yay! Yep you guessed it I came home with a lighter wallet and 2 kittens. Cuteness by the ounce, all blue-eyed and velvet noses and ears.OMG they purr so loud. They own me. I thought I was insane about them. I think my friend actually called me crazy cat lady. When I came to the dope I found out I'm not the only insane, nutty cat slave. Thanks Dopers for making me feel normal, well maybe not 'normal', but okay.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:21 AM
BANNED

LOL, you are normal.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:55 AM

So, Becky, now you know that the Siamese cats in Lady and the Tramp are not a racist portrayal of Thai humans but an accurate rendering of the evil that is Siamese cats. Just a warning, the girls are more evil than the boys. Dear Mother Sasha was old, but still teleported from around my ankles (trying to trip me, of course) to the top of the fridge in a single jump. https://youtu.be/RG5mOd8Ubsk

As for the Dope, I owed it twenty bux until last Friday.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:59 AM
BANNED

In my short time here, I can thank the Smartest, Hippest on the Straight Dope for showing me that in general, 2019's white, socially liberal, college educated, middle-and-upper-middle-class, urban dwelling Americans (in other words, "MY People", all except for the being white part) are seemingly more intolerant, more judgemental and more hypocritical than the typical Conservative Christian types that I fled the United States 4 years ago to get away from.

That said, this website IS a good forum for interesting, informative travel, entertainment and historical conversations, but the political Groupthink is literally scary, but Thank God I am a long. long way from Trump, Hillary, Alexandria, Beto, Tucker and their brainwashed minions.

(I also see from reading the Giraffe Board that apparently a couple of the most judgemental, angry, hateful posters here are apparently vile, depraved, unredeemable pieces of shit in their personal lives, in a couple of cases people who should literally be imprisoned for the sick perversions that they have openly boasted about here on this board, but seem not to suffer any social sanctions from the members here)

Last edited by Royal Nonesutch; 03-27-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

In recent years, it's a place to read interesting and thoughtful discussion about a wide variety of current event topics. Yes, there's also a lot of discussion that doesn't fall into that category, but still, for an online forum filled with randos, this place does pretty well. It's a place where smart discussion doesn't get completely overwhelmed by meme or talking point-based shouting (most of the time).

Back in my youth, this place gave me a taste of the wider world. Going to Dopefests, traveling to other cities to socialize with like-minded weirdos, making some friends and having "real life" experiences. In my very early 20s it was exciting and helpful to have a network of mostly nerdy friends in an era when nerd-dom was still kind of an underground and outsider culture.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:14 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
In my short time here, I can thank the Smartest, Hippest on the Straight Dope for showing me that in general, 2019's white, socially liberal, college educated, middle-and-upper-middle-class, urban dwelling Americans (in other words, "MY People", all except for the being white part) are seemingly more intolerant, more judgemental and more hypocritical than the typical Conservative Christian types that I fled the United States 4 years ago to get away from.

That said, this website IS a good forum for interesting, informative travel, entertainment and historical conversations, but the political Groupthink is literally scary, but Thank God I am a long. long way from Trump, Hillary, Alexandria, Beto, Tucker and their brainwashed minions.
If this were a general discussion of your opinion of the Dope, this would be fine, but it's not a general discussion. This is a thread specifically about what you owe the Dope. In that context, complaining about intolerance, political groupthink, etc. is threadshitting. Take your complaints to another thread, or to the Pit if you so desire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
(I also see from reading the Giraffe Board that apparently a couple of the most judgemental, angry, hateful posters here are apparently vile, depraved, unredeemable pieces of shit in their personal lives, in a couple of cases people who should literally be imprisoned for the sick perversions that they have openly boasted about here on this board, but seem not to suffer any social sanctions from the members here)
Do not attack Giraffeboard members here on the SDMB. We do not allow board wars.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
Moderator Note

If this were a general discussion of your opinion of the Dope, this would be fine, but it's not a general discussion. This is a thread specifically about what you owe the Dope. In that context, complaining about intolerance, political groupthink, etc. is threadshitting. Take your complaints to another thread, or to the Pit if you so desire.

Do not attack Giraffeboard members here on the SDMB. We do not allow board wars.
I don't know what a board war is, I was pointing out that at Giraffe Boards, they have linked to some Straight Dope members openly boasting of some truly rephrensible behavior, but those posts were made on this board.

Anyway, I am not trying to derail this thread, and I won't mention Giraffe again.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:07 PM

Am I the only one that sees the irony in the above statement? I owe the Dope for putting a bridle on my smartass-ery and making me think a little more deeply before I put word to screen/paper. I also owe it for usually putting a smile on my face or a laugh in my belly regularly. I am a huge believer that the Universe is fundamentally absurd and I'm glad to have found a bunch of great people that realize it too.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
So, Becky, now you know that the Siamese cats in Lady and the Tramp are not a racist portrayal of Thai humans but an accurate rendering of the evil that is Siamese cats. Just a warning, the girls are more evil than the boys. Dear Mother Sasha was old, but still teleported from around my ankles (trying to trip me, of course) to the top of the fridge in a single jump. https://youtu.be/RG5mOd8Ubsk

As for the Dope, I owed it twenty bux until last Friday.
My male is evil incarnate. Bear-bear the bad boy. He does poop on the toilet though. I never taught him ( heh, like you teach cats ) He just figured it out.
Meeko, the sweet baby girl will take a finger if she's not in the mood for a pat.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

I've been here almost since the beginning, and would be one of the true OGs, I forget the moniker, but I dropped out and ended up becoming a different poster. Long time ago, new rules. But I've been here a long time. The Straight Dope has been my main source of rational, reasoned, informative, funny, funny again (remember the Blimp?), interesting, challenging, entertaining (remember Eve?)ÖI could go onÖ intellectual discourse that I could have ever imagined to be part of. Obviously I don't post a lot. I truly hate the term lurker. I'm not spying, but I have a hard time putting words out that I haven't processed. And I guess I'm kind of shy. If there was a contest of how many posts you have started and worked on and then trashed without posting, I'm right there. But that's what I owe the dope. I'll be a paid member forever even if you only hear from me once a year. I've trashed at least 5 posts this week, but this one is important
Old 03-27-2019, 09:25 PM

OMG, youse guys!

The chance to be creative, with hope sometimes witty, is ALL to me!

I crack up every dang day reading here.

Last edited by LennieB; 03-27-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwater Under_Duck View Post
I've been here almost since the beginning, and would be one of the true OGs, I forget the moniker, but I dropped out and ended up becoming a different poster. Long time ago, new rules. But I've been here a long time. The Straight Dope has been my main source of rational, reasoned, informative, funny, funny again (remember the Blimp?), interesting, challenging, entertaining (remember Eve?)ÖI could go onÖ intellectual discourse that I could have ever imagined to be part of. Obviously I don't post a lot. I truly hate the term lurker. I'm not spying, but I have a hard time putting words out that I haven't processed. And I guess I'm kind of shy. If there was a contest of how many posts you have started and worked on and then trashed without posting, I'm right there. But that's what I owe the dope. I'll be a paid member forever even if you only hear from me once a year. I've trashed at least 5 posts this week, but this one is important
Funny you mention that as The Blimp is what got me here. I stayed for the pie and squid care.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:13 PM

I'd say I owe the Dope a debt of gratitude for being somewhere that I could actually get a good appreciation for the opposite side of the aisle in political and social matters. I grew up in a pretty conservative family, in a conservative area (what was once Tom DeLay's district) of a conservative state (Texas), and being on the Dope has given me a lot of insight into the liberal/progressive side of things that I probably wouldn't have gotten otherwise. I've actually changed my viewpoints on some things directly due to some of the arguments placed here, and on a few others, I've dug in a little bit deeper, because I disagree.

But I've had the opportunity to examine them in the relatively unfiltered light from both sides, and that's due to the Dope.