View Poll Results: What is your primary web browser?
Chrome 93 40.79%
Safari 23 10.09%
Firefox 78 34.21%
UC (Alibaba) 0 0%
Opera 4 1.75%
Internet Explorer 3 1.32%
Samsung Internet 0 0%
Edge 1 0.44%
AOSP (Android) 0 0%
I use a browser not listed here 6 2.63%
I use different browsers on different devices 14 6.14%
Depends on... 3 1.32%
An entirely different answer 3 1.32%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2019, 12:00 PM

What is your primary web browser?

If you're like me you prefer to use the same one throughout all your devices, but maybe you're not like me.

Poll list compiled from the "Usage share of all browsers" chart found here, going just down to "AOSP" (Android):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_...Summary_tables
Old 06-21-2019, 12:05 PM

I use safari on my phone and iPad. Firefox on my desktop and laptop. (I voted Firefox)
Old 06-21-2019, 12:13 PM

Firefox, all the way. Lots of extensions.

Chrome, I want to like it but their updates tend to break stuff.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
I use safari on my phone and iPad. Firefox on my desktop and laptop. (I voted Firefox)
Ditto. Safari was the only option for the longest time on my iPhone and iPad, so I'm still using them. I've been using Firefox on my desktop and laptop Macs for even longer (more than a decade), as well as on my desktop PC at work.

With that said, I have started to use Chrome a bit more frequently on my desktop computers. Some websites seem to work better on it (like the various Disney websites).
Old 06-21-2019, 12:18 PM

I've used Chrome since it came out like 10 years ago, but just yesterday I switched everything over, or rather back, to Firefox on all my computers. On my phone I deleted Chrome and am now using DuckDuckGo's browser.

I'm done being an involuntary data collector for Google. I know, it's certainly way too late at this point, and I'm still using Gmail and Google Drive so I'm sure they're still all up in my shit.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:31 PM

I picked "different browsers on different devices".

On my laptop at home I use Chrome, although some sites seem to work better in Edge.
At work we're not allowed to install Chrome, so I use Firefox for most things, although there are a few internal websites that require Internet Explorer.
On my iPhone I use Safari just because it already there and I don't feel like installing a different browser.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:40 PM

I also switched to firefox as I am not happy about how google is planning to hobble adblockers in chrome.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

I'd been on Firefox for years, but I've been spending more time on Twitter lately, and Chrome is more Twitter-friendly, so I've switched to Chrome in the past year or two.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:26 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

It took me forever to switch to Firefox, since I'm a web developer and way back when, Explorer seemed to be the break-y-est so I had to make everything work in Explorer so I just used that.

I've been on Firefox for probably about a decade, though. Chrome never did it for me. I felt it was too resource-heavy.

Firefox has the AdBlock extension. Firefox has really nice Web Developer tools built in (so does Chrome but they're slightly different than FF). I really like Firefox's Sync (which is probably also in Chrome) where I can have bookmarks and logins shared across all my devices.

Even cooler is Firefox's "send link to device" so I can be reading a website on my desktop and send it to my phone. Or viewing a YouTube video on my phone and send it to my TV computer. Neato!
Old 06-21-2019, 03:56 PM

Firefox. Used to be Chrome. I can't remember why I switched from Chrome but SDMB search would find it since I think I documented my reason right here at SDMB.

Firefox is a horrid memory pig, so I'd love to switch back. (Or is Chrome just as big a pig?) But switching back might be bothersome.

ETA: What I most miss with Firefox is Chrome's History. On Firefox it takes several clicks just to get to a much worse History, AFAIK.

Last edited by septimus; 06-21-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:23 PM

I use Chrome mostly, including for GMail. But late at night, when surfing for things I'd rather not have in my Google profile, I use Firefox with a (I hope) completely separate YouTube identity.

Last edited by Heracles; 06-21-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:31 PM

Chrome for work. Recently started using Edge at home.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:40 PM

I use both Firefox & Chrome both at home and at work.

At work, I use Chrome for work stuff and Firefox for personal stuff.

At home, I have some sites I open in Firefox and some I open in Chrome. Mostly because I have a stupidly old computer and some sites will start consuming memory, so it's easier to have those sites open in one browser (Firefox, out of habit more than anything), so if they go off the rails I can just kill the whole program. Chrome gets the web sites that aren't as likely to be an issue, and my etsy store.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Chrome on my laptop, Firefox on the Mac, Safari on the iPad.

Last edited by Chefguy; 06-21-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:54 PM

I've been using Chrome for a while, since I started telling it all my passwords, but with the steady increase in cookies and tracking and google hegemony I'm thinking of moving back to Firefox.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:10 PM

I voted "I use a browser not listed here". My main browser I use is Waterfox, a fork of Firefox which still supports old extensions dropped by Firefox(when Firefox version 57.0 came out with a new browsing engine.) I was using Firefox until they changed it.

I also use Chrome mostly to access Facebook and Twitter.

Incidentally I currently have 13 different browsers installed on my PC; I installed different ones to experiment with which ones worked best and never got around to uninstalling them:

Chrome
Comodo Dragon
Comodo Icedragon
Firefox
Flashpeak Slimbrowser
Internet Explorer
K-Meleon
Lunscape
Netscape Navigator
Palemoon
Safari
Seamonkey
Waterfox
Old 06-21-2019, 10:10 PM

Voted Firefox. I use Safari as a secondary browser sometimes on the main computer, and also use Safari on the ipad, but I don't use the ipad all that much so if I'm online I'm probably in Firefox.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:23 PM

Firefox on my desktop and Opera on my phone & tablet. Mobile Opera does a better job of and blocking in my experience and I like its clean homescreen with the "speed dial" buttons more than I like Firefox or Chrome. But, on desktop, I like Firefox's look more and am more successful with ad blocking.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Firefox and has been since the some of the very earliest versions.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:55 AM

I use classic Opera for most uses. But it doesn't always work so I then use Vivaldi which is being developed by ex-Opera folk. Chromium engine but something of an original Opera-like feel.

It recently added something almost, but not quite, like tab minimizing for the current tab. If they ever get around to real tab minimization, then that'll become my main browser.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:48 AM

FWIW. Relevant article in today's Washington Post online:

Goodbye, Chrome: Google’s web browser has become spy software
Quote:
Our latest privacy experiment found Chrome ushered more than 11,000 tracker cookies into our browser — in a single week. Here’s why Firefox is better.

You open your browser to look at the Web. Do you know who is looking back at you?

Over a recent week of Web surfing, I peered under the hood of Google Chrome and found it brought along a few thousand friends. Shopping, news and even government sites quietly tagged my browser to let ad and data companies ride shotgun while I clicked around the Web.

This was made possible by the Web’s biggest snoop of all: Google. Seen from the inside, its Chrome browser looks a lot like surveillance software.

My tests of Chrome vs. Firefox unearthed a personal data caper of absurd proportions. In a week of Web surfing on my desktop, I discovered 11,189 requests for tracker “cookies” that Chrome would have ushered right onto my computer but were automatically blocked by Firefox. These little files are the hooks that data firms, including Google itself, use to follow what websites you visit so they can build profiles of your interests, income and personality.

Chrome welcomed trackers even at websites you would think would be private. I watched Aetna and the Federal Student Aid website set cookies for Facebook and Google. They surreptitiously told the data giants every time I pulled up the insurance and loan service’s log-in pages.

And that’s not the half of it.

Look in the upper right corner of your Chrome browser. See a picture or a name in the circle? If so, you’re logged in to the browser, and Google might be tapping into your Web activity to target ads. Don’t recall signing in? I didn’t, either. Chrome recently started doing that automatically when you use Gmail.

I felt hoodwinked when Google quietly began signing Gmail users into Chrome last fall. Google says the Chrome shift didn’t cause anybody’s browsing history to be “synced” unless they specifically opted in — but I found mine was being sent to Google and don’t recall ever asking for extra surveillance. (You can turn off the Gmail auto-login by searching “Gmail” in Chrome settings and switching off “Allow Chrome sign-in.”)

After the sign-in shift, Johns Hopkins associate professor Matthew Green made waves in the computer science world when he blogged he was done with Chrome. “I lost faith,” he told me. “It only takes a few tiny changes to make it very privacy unfriendly.”
These are snippets from a long article.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post

Yup.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:04 AM

Duck Duck Go

It's designed not to Spy and it deletes Cookies after closing.

Last edited by aceplace57; 06-22-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:09 AM

I use at least two browsers on every device. I'd a website doesn't seem to work, I switch to another browser.

Work: default is explorer, but i also use chrome
Home: default is Safari, but i also use chrome. I also have Firefox, and maybe i should switch to that.
Phone: default is Firefox, but i also use chrome.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

You beat me to it. I just opened this thread to post a link to the same article.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

I mostly use Firefox, but it's been acting up in annoying ways lately, so I'm thinking of switching.

I don't use it on my phone (I use the phone version of Chrome, because that was the default, and I didn't feel like changing it), but then, I do very little web browsing on my phone anyway, so I didn't think I really qualified for "different browsers on different devices".
Old 06-22-2019, 09:45 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

I still miss my Netscape Navigator. But now Chrome is my default.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:

It's hard to say that I have a "primary" browser, but Firefox (version 56) comes closer than anything else.

I use the big four -- Edge, IE, Firefox, and Chrome -- but I use them for different things. For instance, I use IE for Gmail, but Chrome for FaceBook. That helps defeat a lot of the spy efforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Duck Duck Go

It's designed not to Spy and it deletes Cookies after closing.
That's a search engine, not a browser.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:46 AM

I've been using Firefox for years, and I don't even remember why I switched from Explorer. I just checked my cell phone and it uses Chrome, but that doesn't count because I almost never use the internet on it.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
That's a search engine, not a browser.
There is a full-on DDG browser for iOS and Android. It's extremely minimal: just a search box, a bookmarks button, a new tab button, and a "burn" button, which instantly closes all your tabs and erases everything (except your settings and bookmarks).

I've been using it for a few days now. I dig it. Probably won't work for people who like a feature-rich browsing experience, but on my phone internet browsing is purely utilitarian.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

I'm Apple at home and out-and-about and use Safari for the sake of simplicity.

But at work we're strictly a PC shop. We have a weird browser tradition. Lots of our job functions involve web apps on our intranet, and many of these do not work both on Explorer and Chrome. Earlier, they were all Explorer. But for some weird reason Explorer grew so bad that people started describing its use as a deprecated practice, something good people don't do, and the like. Our IT department started telling people "you didn't hear it from me, but you should mostly use Chrome, and if you quote me I'll deny it". Then they got more open about it. Now I think about a third of our apps require Explorer, a third require Chrome, and a third can work on either. It's a pain to remember which app requires which browser -- and this changes from time to time, too.

Newer users may find this amusing, but earlier in the history of computing, the idea of a browser was that one browser could run every website or web app....
Old 09-14-2019, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

I use Waterfox, a branch of Firefox that doesn't break all the extensions I have grown to love and rely on. I can't keep this up forever, eventually the no-longer-maintained extensions will fail, and there is already a terrible memory leak coming from somewhere, but I'll stick with it for a couple more years I hope.

I really like the customisation features that Firefox uniquely seemed to have, and other browsers couldn't compete with, so it was disappointing when they just decided they were going to interfere with some of my favourites.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:17 AM

If one uses Gmail (no matter what browser you use to get there), is Google still spying on you?
Old 09-14-2019, 09:19 AM

Firefox.

I hate the lame semi-menu that Chrome and Edge have. I understand that Chrome broke the menu so that you cannot use extensions to rebuild a menu.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:39 AM

I've recently installed and started testing Brave. Not esp. excited about it. Esp. the tab handling thing.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Esp. the tab handling thing.
How is it different?
Old 09-14-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsabraham View Post
Google can only track your Gmail activities, not your browsing activities or anything
Thanks. Just installed Brave and all is well, so far anyway.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:43 AM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

Safari on iDevices and Chrome elsewhere
Old 09-14-2019, 11:02 AM

I've been pleased with Firefox as of late.

Before that, Chrome, but every time on a fresh start with that browser on my computer, there are about 5-6 fairly good sized annoying pop-ups, one after another in the lower right hand corner of my screen, that wouldn't allow you to get rid of any of them until you clicked through the whole sha-bang. Only reason I had switched to Chrome, was being forced to check my yahoo account on mail, since it wasn't going to be compatible with IE. But Firefox is able to still check my yahoo mail. Chrome has gotten too big for my tastes, it's amazing how invasive they are.

Before Chrome, I tried IE. It has the continuing problem of having to recover webpage every 5-10 minutes or so. Supposedly, everyone has easy fixes for this problem, I've tried several of them, none worked, just don't have the time and patience anymore to keep it running.

I do appreciate DuckDuckGo as a search engine, and have used it for many years.

Last edited by Razncain; 09-14-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

I'd love to switch to Safari on my Mac, but there's no Safari for Windows, so it's much easier to use Chrome on Mac and sync all my stuff to Chrome on Windows. I run Windows in a VM at home for the pure purpose of syncing bookmarks to Safari, so at least I have my bookmarks available on my phone. I won't use Chrome on my phone because, well, I don't remember because. Maybe... javascript performance? I need to revisit that decision; it's been a few years.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
How is it different?
A browser that doesn't do tab minimization is useless to me.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
I've recently installed and started testing Brave. Not esp. excited about it. Esp. the tab handling thing.
I switched to brave feom opera on my phone about 2 years ago when opera started letting ads through despite being billed as an adblocking browser. Even though Brave is a chrome based browser(i don't trust it completely) I found it to be better than opera ever was.

I've long considered chrome to be malware and a really poorly designed browser when looked at honestly and objectively (for my needs anyway) Before my dad bought a winx machine, my niece and I would amuse him with out browser wars. She'd install chrome and set it as default, I'd uninstall it. I grew "exceedingly efficient" at doing so. After he went to winx, I resigned as "person responsible for computer security and maintenance" at his house because Dad finally came down on the side of chrome. (And yet I still have to make sure he keeps is adblock and other prophylactic software current)

Last edited by DorkVader; 09-14-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:12 PM

Opera for some sites. I ended up with Opera Beta when I tried to update, so I use that for other sites. Firefox for Amazon, because when I tried to stream Prime video on Opera it demanded an extension that doesn't seem to exist.

Chrome never worked on this device, but I never liked Google. Not a fan of Apple, either.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:26 AM

I selected "different browsers on different devices".

I use Chrome (mostly) on my desktop, Android phone and Chromebook.

I use Safari on my iPad, and IE11 (not by choice) on my work laptop. I've just jumped through the multiple hoops needed to get Chrome I stalled on my work device, so I can hopefully retire IE11, though.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:22 PM

I use Pale Moon, which is a Firefox clone that takes less memory to run.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:23 PM

Firefox with uBlock Origin, NoScript, and other addons, Waterfox Classic for older addons like DownThemAll (even though there's a new one) with Flashgot, and waiting for the development of Waterfox Current (Firefox with privacy issues stripped and the ability to use older addons).
Old 09-16-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
I still miss my Netscape Navigator. But now Chrome is my default.
IIRC, wasn't Mozilla Firefox originally an open source port of Netscape Navigator?
Old 09-16-2019, 09:07 AM

Different browsers on different devices? Hell, I use different browsers on the same device.
Firefox - Dope & email, where I'm signed in.
Chrome - most other stuff, in incognito mode, not signed into anything.
Opera, Pale Moon, Sea Monkey - Other things I may want to sign in, order (there are some legitimate sites that spam you with ads in other tabs if you visit their site on that browser), or just links to news sites that I don't subscribe to but won't allow private browsing. When I close out all cookies are deleted.

On Firefox I can go in & selectively delete cookies; I do this for anything that I do not actively sign into. I can't find out how to do this in Chrome. Settings --> Advanced --> Clear Browsing data doesn't seem to get rid of the B&H ads after I do those steps & have been to their website.

On my phone I have, & use all of Dolphin, Dolphin Zero, Chrome, Duck Duck Go, & Tor
Old 09-16-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
When I close out all cookies are deleted.

On Firefox I can go in & selectively delete cookies; I do this for anything that I do not actively sign into. I can't find out how to do this in Chrome.
I've found the 'Self-Destructing Cookies' add-on for Firefox and Pale Moon very useful.

You set it by site while you are browsing, and it remembers the settings. You can destruct cookies from the site: after you close its tabs (default) / after you close the browser / never. Optionally clear Local Storage as well as a site's cookies. You can also temporarily suspend operation.

Simple and effective.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:49 PM

I've been some further testing of Brave the last couple days.

The performance is really quite nice. Wrung it out with a slew of heavy duty tabs and it ran just fine.

Too bad there's so much horrible stuff that can't be changed. No bookmark dropdown menu, tabs in the window header above the address bar, need extensions to get basic settings like a completely blank new tab, etc.

It just inherited too much crap from Chrome. E.g., close the last tab? Okay, exiting program. Wait! I was just closing the current tab, didn't notice it was the last one.